“Some ups and downs”

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Ranked #154 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We are longtime visitors to Disney World; this was likely our 15th trip over 20 years, since our girls were little. We've stayed mainly on the DW property, as we generally feel the Disney experience more fully. We've stayed at the Caribbean Beach resort before, but it had been a while. We are fortunate in that a good friend is a long-time Disney "cast member" who was able to get us discounted rooms.

CBR is a very attractive resort, beautifully landscaped and with plenty of things for children to do; our two grandsons were a bit young for much of it this trip. The food court in Old Port Royale had a good selection of pretty decent food at fairly reasonable prices; we had most breakfasts there and were pleased, though it can be quite busy, even in low season, as this trip was.

The rooms are attractive, but one always gets the feeling that Disney does just enough to get by, unless you're in one of their really expensive resorts, e.g., Grand Floridian. The thing that struck us most was the fact that the two beds are just "full sized" or "double" rather than queen. My husband was with us the first 2 nights, and I shared the room with my daughter and grandson the remaining 3 nights; I can say unequivocally that two average sized adults can NOT sleep comfortably in beds that small. In my view, they are perfect for one adult each, or possibly two small children. The room had a small fridge, but no microwave, which would have been handy for reheating pizza, etc.

The Wi Fi was pretty slow, so I often resorted to the LTE on my iPhone. We took it easy one day and vacated the room at about 1. When we came back late that afternoon, the beds had been haphazardly made and the sinks/bathroom given only a very quick cleaning. I thought I had lost my phone charger, only to find it tightly tucked under the blanket and sheets on my bed. Our other daughter, husband, and SIL were staying in an adjoining room; when they arrived back with us, their door had been propped open with the metal safety latch, but there was no housekeeper or cart to be seen anywhere nearby. Heaven only knows how long it had been like that; anyone could have entered and taken anything they wanted. When my daughter called the front desk, they were nonchalant.

My husband was only able to stay 2 nights; he had driven in with us but was flying back for work commitments. We had not been familiar with the Magical Express bus to the Orlando airport, as we have always driven over from Alabama. He inquired as to whether it would be possible for him to take the bus to the airport that afternoon (he inquired at 11:15 and his flight was at 4 p.m.) and the concierge at Old Port Royale was a bit snooty, letting him know that people generally arranged for trips in both directions, or at least contacted them a day or so ahead of time; we would have, but had not been familiar with this option. He made a phone call and said there was room. When my husband stepped onto the bus, he found that it was 3/4 empty, so it's not as if he was causing overcrowding!

We used Magic Bands for the first time; of the 5 adults in our party, 3 of us had problems with them at one time or another. Glitches still being worked out. I had to go all the way from my room to The Custom House to get things straightened out, and it's not as if I could just pop downstairs to the lobby. This was a time waster.

We will always likely stay on Disney property, but I wish they would just do a little extra... like putting in bigger beds.

Room Tip: Know that the beds are full size, NOT queen.
3  Thank dixieagle
There are newer reviews for Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stay at Disney resorts at least twice a year, usually Port Orleans, but they had a good price for pass holders so we stayed here. It was disappointing. The internet was impossible to connect to. We had 2 rooms and both were the same. When we returned from the park, our beds had been made but the dirty glasses were still there, as we're our dirty towels. The maid service had not left us any coffee for the following morning. We also tried to call the gift shop to ask about a bag we had seen but they never answered the phone, even though the front desk connected us. After this experience I don't think I will be staying here again.

1  Thank Carla G
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Everything at Disney's resorts is geared towards tourism, business conventions, fun, great service and convenience. This hotel is not exempt of these components. But the rooms (colors, furniture, amenities, etc) are almost sad.

1  Thank Alexander K
Reviewed January 31, 2014

My family stayed here for the first time. We had a positive experience from checking in to finding our luggage in our room like was stated. We stayed close to the main pool and 2 other pools were within walking distance. The food at the resort under the meal plan was more than enough. I loved the rotating omellettes. We would stay again!

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank Jmaksin
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This medium budget resort in Disneyland is a good and valuable choice.
The complex is very large and there is a pleasant and relaxing atmosphere. The distribution of the rooms around the lake is very convenient because, despite the enormous size of the resort, you can easyly reach all the amenities. Each area has its own heated swimming pool in addition to the central one where there are slides, games and even a jacuzzi.
There several restaurants in the resort but the quality is in line with other Disney restaurants (medium to bad). Although the resort is not close to parks there is an efficient bus transport system which allows easy access to all attractions without using your cars.
Rooms would need a significant upgrade and renovation. They are not particulary large and are more similar to motel rooms especially the bathroom area which is separated only by a curtain from the sleeping room.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Myself and my family have been doing the Disney experience every year for the last decade, and we never stay anywhere but the Caribbean Beach Resort. While the rooms are not the most luxurious of the Disney hotels, the general atmosphere of the resort more than makes up for this!

The rooms themselves are comfortable and perfectly adequate if you are planning to spend most of your time in the parks. The beds are comfortable, the shower is always hot and the room is always refreshingly cool after coming in from a long Disney day. The maid service is fantastic (we quite often return to a 'towel animal') and the check-in service is always very efficient and friendly. While the rooms are a little on the cosy side, my family (now consisting of two 50+ parents and two 'children' in their twenties) never has a problem with space; the bathroom is small but functional, and a curtain provides privacy at the far end of the room.

The resort is centred around a man made lake, which you can hire a 'mouse boat' to experience. The main pool area is great, with plenty of sun loungers and a large pool with two flumes, if not a little noisy. For a quieter experience, each building of the resort has its own swimming pool and beach area.

To be honest, the food hall leaves a little to be desired - the usual Disney prices apply, and the selection and quality isn't as good as that seen in other Disney resorts. I would recommend hitting some of the excellent Disney restaurants and steering clear of 'Old Port Royale'!.

Parking is never a problem at the resort, and a regular bus service makes accessing all the Disney parks very easy.

If you're looking for luxury then the Caribbean Beach Resort probably isn't for you, but if you are looking for a relaxing atmosphere in a comfy room then don't hesitate to book your stay!

Room Tip: For the quietest stay, choose a room on the second floor of the 'Aruba' building. To be clos...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Josie B
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Recently I spent 4 nights at the resort for a conference in Orlando, with family accompanying. This property is one of the more affordable on Disney property. The resort as a whole was beautiful...from landscaping to architecture...particularly the view from our beachfront room in "Aruba." The layout was very convenient and easy to navigate. The staff was very knowledgeable and courteous, helping my wife procure extra tickets. She required an unusual special diet and Chef Mike over at Port Royale...where the restaurants are located...accommodated us and personally prepared things without advanced notice. The resort as a whole just exuded a sense of relaxation...and vacationers there seemed markedly calmer than the general public in downtown Disney or other resort areas we visited, like the Boardwalk. If you're looking to go budget but want a fantastic resort experience, the few dollars more per night for Caribbean beach, versus Art of Animation (where we stayed on a previous trip) or Pop Century, is well worth it...particularly for couples without kids...though this resort is extremely kid-friendly as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach view room, second floor, near one of the two Disney shuttle stops. One cluster is de...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Hunter W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!