We are longtime visitors to Disney World; this was likely our 15th trip over 20 years, since our girls were little. We've stayed mainly on the DW property, as we generally feel the Disney experience more fully. We've stayed at the Caribbean Beach resort before, but it had been a while. We are fortunate in that a good friend is a long-time Disney "cast member" who was able to get us discounted rooms.
CBR is a very attractive resort, beautifully landscaped and with plenty of things for children to do; our two grandsons were a bit young for much of it this trip. The food court in Old Port Royale had a good selection of pretty decent food at fairly reasonable prices; we had most breakfasts there and were pleased, though it can be quite busy, even in low season, as this trip was.
The rooms are attractive, but one always gets the feeling that Disney does just enough to get by, unless you're in one of their really expensive resorts, e.g., Grand Floridian. The thing that struck us most was the fact that the two beds are just "full sized" or "double" rather than queen. My husband was with us the first 2 nights, and I shared the room with my daughter and grandson the remaining 3 nights; I can say unequivocally that two average sized adults can NOT sleep comfortably in beds that small. In my view, they are perfect for one adult each, or possibly two small children. The room had a small fridge, but no microwave, which would have been handy for reheating pizza, etc.
The Wi Fi was pretty slow, so I often resorted to the LTE on my iPhone. We took it easy one day and vacated the room at about 1. When we came back late that afternoon, the beds had been haphazardly made and the sinks/bathroom given only a very quick cleaning. I thought I had lost my phone charger, only to find it tightly tucked under the blanket and sheets on my bed. Our other daughter, husband, and SIL were staying in an adjoining room; when they arrived back with us, their door had been propped open with the metal safety latch, but there was no housekeeper or cart to be seen anywhere nearby. Heaven only knows how long it had been like that; anyone could have entered and taken anything they wanted. When my daughter called the front desk, they were nonchalant.
My husband was only able to stay 2 nights; he had driven in with us but was flying back for work commitments. We had not been familiar with the Magical Express bus to the Orlando airport, as we have always driven over from Alabama. He inquired as to whether it would be possible for him to take the bus to the airport that afternoon (he inquired at 11:15 and his flight was at 4 p.m.) and the concierge at Old Port Royale was a bit snooty, letting him know that people generally arranged for trips in both directions, or at least contacted them a day or so ahead of time; we would have, but had not been familiar with this option. He made a phone call and said there was room. When my husband stepped onto the bus, he found that it was 3/4 empty, so it's not as if he was causing overcrowding!
We used Magic Bands for the first time; of the 5 adults in our party, 3 of us had problems with them at one time or another. Glitches still being worked out. I had to go all the way from my room to The Custom House to get things straightened out, and it's not as if I could just pop downstairs to the lobby. This was a time waster.
We will always likely stay on Disney property, but I wish they would just do a little extra... like putting in bigger beds.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A tropical paradise built around 45-acre Barefoot Bay, this Resort hotel brings the Islands to you with swaying palm trees, white-sand beaches and colonial architecture. Six villages-Trinidad North, Trinidad South, Martinique, Barbados, Aruba and Jamaica-host colorful Guest rooms, some pirate-themed! "Island-hop" as you explore 200 lushly landscaped acres, or simply enjoy lazy days soaking up the sun in a hammock. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsforEveryone, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disneys Caribbean Beach Hotel
- Disneys Caribbean Beach Resort
- Caribbean Beach Resort Florida
- Disney Carribean Resort
- Disney World Caribbean Beach Resort
- Disney Carribean Beach
- Disney Caribbean Beach Hotel
- Disney Caribbean Resort
- Caribbean Beach Resort Disney
- Caribbean Beach Resort Orlando