“A Great Disney Atraction . . . and a Great Resort Too!”

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Ranked #153 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed March 14, 2004

I have been to Walt Disney World 7 times, and Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort was the best hotel experience I have ever had in Orlando. There was only one negative thing about my experience in March of 2003 - check in took practically 45 minutes, including a long wait on line. I have found this to be a problem at all of the "mid-range priced" Disney Resorts. There simply aren't enough cast members working at the desks for such a high volume of guests. My tip is to check in your luggage with the bellman, head straight for the parks, and return to the resort to officially check in at night when it is less busy. This one draw-back was so minor in the face of everything that the resort offered for such a reasonable price ($119/night). The Caribbean Beach is beautifully spread out around a lake amidst lush Floridian forests, white sand beaches, and nature paths to explore. There are little "communities" within the resort named after Caribbean destinations, each with their own beach and pool. The kids can have a blast romping in the spanish fort themed main pool. This theme is continued around the lake in hidden nooks where you can discover wooden bridges, old cannons, secret pathways. One of the most enjoyable things to do here in the morning is to walk around the entire lake - it is such a peaceful change of pace from the hustle and bustle of the parks. I had a blast renting a mini speed boat on the lake to explore the resort from the water. The rooms were festively decorated with a tropical theme. I loved the sweet little details that make you feel at home such as a wooden coat rack and upolstered chest to stash your stuff in. The bathroom was small, but had a large vanity area with two sinks just outside. I had a standard room with two beds and a little wooden table with chairs - just enough room for a group of 4, but spacious for a couple. Who really spends much time in the hotel room at Disney World anyway? There was a very convenient system of transportation from the resort to the Disney parks, with bus stops at each community of the Carribean Beach. It was quite nice to have just a short walk from the bus stop to my room after a long day. (The "budget" Disney resorts have only one bus stop each with a potential 10 minute walk between the stop and your room.) Lastly, the food at the resort is average - I didn't notice if there was a full service restaurant, but I did visit the food court for breakfast. There was ample, clean seating both indoors and outdoors. The poolside bar added to the tropical feel. I didn't really mind the lack of dining options at the resort, because part of the fun of Disney World is sampling the themed restaurants around the theme parks and high class hotels. I recommend this resort to families with kids of any age and to couples on a romantic get-away.

7  Thank CookieGalore
Write a ReviewReviews (7,570)

Reviewed March 10, 2004

I think the Carribean Beach Resort is great. It has great rooms a great pool with a slide. You don't have to walk far but maybe but its worth it. It has a great food court. It is just great!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 8, 2004

If you like toe nails embeded in the carpet, dirty bathrooms, long walks to eat, screaming kids and a long wait for the bus, this is the place for you. This was the worst place I have ever paid to stay.

• Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wyckoff , N J
Reviewed February 24, 2004

Took my son there last week and loved it . This place is huge so I recommend getting a room close to the food court ,pool area . Check-in was very quick when we arrived at our room it was spotless . The Disney bus system was great the drivers were very friendly and we didnt have to wait long for a bus .We went on Washington's birthday week so the parks were very crowded had to wait long for some of the rides. Disney is very expensive so expect to pay a lot for even a bottle of water.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 20, 2004

I just returned from a fantastic week in Disney. Despite fears of traveling to Disney during the dreaded President's week crowd, I found that I didn't notice much of a difference from other times I've been there. Caribbean Beach was gorgeous-- white sand beaches, glittering lake, outside seating at umbrella tables. Staff was friendly and pleasant at every turn. Food court was a little crowded at times, especially around 8AM and 8PM. We just went at different hours and never waited more than a few minutes for food. Be sure to buy the refillable mugs for $12-- we filled them every time we were near the food court and saved big money, since a 20 oz of pop costs $2.50 in the vending machines. We were lucky to stay in Martinique; the walk to the food court/gift shop was 5 minutes. Do yourself a favor and ask to stay close like we did; I requested Martinique building 25 or 26 on the phone and then called the front desk a week before our arrival to "re-request" the room. It will be worth it when you get home from the park tired and with aching feet! The last thing you will want to do is walk 15 minutes from some of the farther rooms just to get a drink.
Overall, the resort was beautiful, the staff accomodating, and the food court/gift shop area was cute and decently priced for Disney. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: February 2004
15  Thank Bicesa
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed February 5, 2004

We have stayed in Disney World many times. Between us, we have stayed at the Contemporary, Townhouses and the Villas. On our honeymoon we stayed at the Grand Floridian. We went back for our 9th anniversary and decided to stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort. The room was very large, much larger than the room we had at the Grand Floridian! I was upset at the maid service because I put used towels on the floor and they kept hanging the same used towels back up instead of giving us new ones! (I know because one of the towels had a red spot on it). The buses were annoying but it costs a lot to stay at the resorts on the monorail and then you have to take a bus to MGM and Animal Kingdom anyway. We stayed in Jamaica, which was usually the first bus stop, so we often got a seat. The food court was nice (great for families). The main pool was really nice. The pools in each village were dinky. Be prepared for a lot of walking or waiting for buses. All in all, it was great for the cost.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed January 29, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the CBR January 20th-28th for my 27th birthday trip. It was our first trip to WDW and we had no idea where to stay so we decided to do a moderate resort since we weren't going to be spending a lot of time there anyway (we had a lot of parks to see!) The resort is sprawling, and very pretty. We arrived at 8am, and our room was ready, which was a pleasant surprise. The Castmember who checked us in was borderline rude and un-smiling, which frankly shocked both of us since it was completely uncalled for (we are both pretty smiley & happy people and are always very polite to whoever is helping us). We had room 3949 in Trinidad North. Even though we are both athletic and in our 20's...we found the long walk to the Old Port Royale to be a bit much when our feet were aching. We don't mind walking 10 miles a day in the parks...but when we came back to the resort at night, we wanted to relax. A 15 min walk is a little silly to refill your pop. After calling the front desk, they moved us to room 2124 in Trinidad South, which was very close to the food court. The room was an additional $15/night since it was in a "preferred location". The room was fine...nothing special, but clean and cheery. The grounds are very pretty, and we enjoyed looking at the lake and sitting in the hammocks.
The food court was fine...we only ate a quick breakfast there. The buses were great and we never had to wait more than 5 mins (although we were there during a very quiet time). We had originally thought to stay at a deluxe resort, and in hindsight that would have been the best choice for us..however, we had the most wonderful time and really have no complaints.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member