“Think twice.. no three times”

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Ranked #150 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Boston, Massachusetts
“Think twice.. no three times”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Considering this was "Disney" my stay should have been great! but one problem after another was unacceptable. Think twice.. no three times about staying here!!!
Absolutally NOT worth the money, time, stress, aggrevation!!!!!

Our first room was so full of mold odor we could not even shut the door; the air conditioner was caked with dust/mold. We were "upgraded" to another room.. upgraded only if sleeping in a pirate bed was desired; it was not.
Disney staff gave conflicting information that cost us MUCH precious time resulting in loss of activities aka money.
This resort is SO expansive, in most cases internal transportation is necessary to get a cup of coffee - much time wasted waiting for buses. Using the "free" bus service comes at a price of wait times, lines, standing unsafely on full busses during transportations... but beware...if you discover you are on the wrong bus, even on resort property the driver will not let you off if there is no bus stop and a round trip to (epcot, dinsey, Hollywood etc) will cost you at least an hour...although I saw a driver let off a group of girls outisde the resort gate because they were under 18 without a supervisor with them... and me over 50 could not get off.. again, much contradicting information.
Room refirgerators are "dorm size" and are not kept in good working order, therefore are not cold enough for perishables, The first one was caked with thick ice and the second with dust/mold. I have food allergies and needed specific food so went shopping for some of my own food, but regardless that they promised to keep my food cold during our transfering to another resort... they did not.
When rooms are cleaned they smell like they are treated with a chemical for bugs? would be nice to know what you are breathing in!
Disney makes Meyers taxi service available, but our taxi driver brought us to a vacant store and empty parking lot trying to convince us we needed to go an extra 7 miles to a different store.. scary situation... BEWARE! ($46 taxi ride for 4 miles)
Disney employees are well trained to avoid conflict and lawsuits... "I am so sorry, I am sorry for your inconvenience... I am sorry about this... I am sorry you had this experience." Well, I am sorry too that we had such a lousy experience. These rooms are NOT worth the price ($260) , financially, timely or emotionally.
Wifi was on/off slow and unusable. Beds uncomfortable, rooms dusty, moldy smelling, outdated, old, -but we are never going back.
Disney can not handle special requests, regardless of what they say.
Do yourself a favor, rent a car, stay off site, and enjoy your vacation.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else!
2 Thank C T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,784)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Iowa
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We LOVED the resort! It was a tropical get away and disney all in one! Everybody there was super friendly and always went out of their way to help with any questions, very very clean resort and beaches and pool area, lots of activities for the kids and adults. We stayed in the Aruba section which was the perfect location for bus pick up and for the walk to get breakfast and lunch. Food at Shutters restaurant was very good too and they accommodated to what ever the kids wanted.
BUT
I would pry not stay there again (only because) our room and my sisters room had black mold everywhere, and we couldn't ever control the humidity in our rooms. From the window sills to the shower curtain to the bath tub, even on the light switch there was black mold. It made it scary to wonder if of our families were going to get sick from it and we had to wash all our cloths (even the clean ones) when we got home cause everything was terribly damp and musty smelling -like our rooms.

5 Thank lotsofkidsIowa
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I could not believe how bad this place was. this was a moderate resort, so i was expecting more from disney.
The room size was fine. this was an older hotel, so i can understand the small bathroom.

When we made it to the room, there was hair in the garbage can and hair pins sitting by the sink. But as we got settled i noticed more than that. The sheets on the bed were threadbare. the bedskirts looked like they had been piled in a corner and just placed on the bed, all wrinkled and wadded. Then that night when i pulled back the bedspread, it was worse. there were dark brown stains on the underside of the bedspread. it was gross. then as i looked the bedspread was so threadbare and worn that there were little holes all along the seeming. I could not believe this was a disney moderate resort. In the shower, there were long strands of hair and then i noticed the shower curtain was torn from the rings. On the last day we were there, I noticed a towel with fainted red stains all over it. I am not quite certain what this was, but this should have never been placed in a guest's room.

All this to say.... this is Disney?
This is a moderate resort? I paid more money to stay here, but i could have stayed at one of the newer, lower priced resorts. I am not sure why i chose this place over a newer, cheaper hotel.... my bad.

When i checked out i did advise the manager, she said she was sorry, but then her response was, "why didnt you report this?" This made me a little mad... I told her i did not feel like should have to report so much to them. There seemed to be several issues here and the last thing i wanted to do is take the time from my family vacation to call and complain about all these things at 8am when we were headed out the door, or at 11pm when we were coming in for the day. Disney should do better....
I am sorry that i did not take photos of these things to post. Did not even think about it at the time. guess i was focused on my family, but so should have!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank sbh1227
Cedarhurst, NY
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have stayed at all of the other Disney Moderate resorts so I though this time would be nice to try something new and since we were coming off the cruise it would be nice to keep the "Bahama" theme. Well check in was fast but who knew the main building was far from everything. We got to the room and I wanted to cry! It stank to high heaven of mold and mildew. There were stains everywhere, no towels in the room, and it looked like the rug or linen hasn't been cleaned in ages. I called the front desk and their was nothing they could do. they sent maintenance to see if it was the A/C causing the smell (which it wasn't). I just wanted to go to the park already. It tooks us 30 minutes to find our bus stop since there were no signs anywhere. My kids were so cranky from all the walking already. We had a wonderful and exhausting day and when we got back to the room we realized the tv wasn't working either... There went my peace and quiet in the morning! I had a hard time falling asleep and never got used to the smell (When we got home a few days later our luggage and clothing reeked!) The grounds of the hotel were really nice. My kids loved the pool and the playground. I wish the room would have been better since I chose a moderate resort so we could spend time at the resort!! last year when we were on a quick trip we stayed at POP century and the rooms there where much nicer AND much cheaper!! I have been going to Disney every year for over 30 years and I will NOT be returning to this hotel!!! We also have certain dietary restrictions and the cafeteria was not accommodating to us at all and we were on the dining plan. I was so annoyed we ended up trying to eat all our meals in the parks where they where much nicer!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Breezy B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My first memory of Disney is when my parents took me down to Caribbean Beach in 1988. We were lucky enough to be one of the first groups to stay at this hotel, and now 20+ years later i can say it still holds true to those great memories.

Everything about this resort is fantastic. It has some of the best scenery of any of the Disney Resorts, including the deluxe ones. It really has a great theme that flows well all throughout the area. The lobby / cafeteria are very colorful and are large enough to handle the crowds this resort has. Same arcade room from when i was a kid still exists...it's small but they cram a lot of games in there. The main pool is awesome, and keeps with the whole theme of the resort - if possible, getting a room with a pool view is ideal.

Resort location is probably one of the best - it's close to pretty much everything, no more than a 10 min bus ride anywhere which is very nice. Out of any place I've stayed at Disney, shuttles seem to flow very regularly here. I've never had a long wait for a bus, which is definitely an issue at some other hotels on the property. The resort itself is very well kept. Has some nice little beach areas for you to relax on, a nice walking trail, boat rentals, fishing, and plenty of stuff for little kids to do as well.

The only thing i was bummed about on this trip back was to find out the cafe menu is now the standard generic burger/hotdog/pizza you find at every other value/moderate resort. The two times i stayed here as a kid, i remember an awesome sandwich shop, hand made neopolitan pizza and all kinds of grilled foods. It's very cookie cutter now, and the food unfortunately isn't anything to rave about. Makes me feel like i'm at Burger King more than a resort. For the amount of money you pay at a moderate resort, you should get a little more bang for your buck, especially in the food department. (which is where they kill your wallet more than anything else!!!)

Other than that, i have nothing else to complain about. This is the next best thing to a deluxe resort. I'd highly suggest forgoing a value resort vacation and saving up to come here. For the difference in price, it's totally worth it. It's a great place with awesome location to everything Disney and really caters to a family with kids. If you can live with kinda blah food, smaller size rooms, and a bigger crowd, then don't ever bother with a deluxe resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jason H
USA
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I typically start off most of my reviews by saying...if you want all of the creature comforts of home...stay home. If you want the comforts of a 5 star hotel...then stay at one. BUT, for the money, the location, and the theme - you can't beat Disney Caribbean Beach. It is a beautiful complex and you do feel like you are away from the hustle and bustle of the world at a Caribbean resort.

It is a HUGE complex, and when I say HUGE...I mean HUGE. You will read other folks reviews who will say, 'there is a lot of walking', and they are correct. We stayed in Barbados - which when you look on the map, and I know that you have, you will see it is next to Martinique which is next to the food court/pool area. (although, the main pool area - there are actually individual pools at each of the buildings). The walk from our room to the food court at a good pace (with my 13 year old) was about 10-12 minutes. The walk from our room to the food court with the 8 year old - closer to 15 minutes. I will say though, on a warm evening, or a coolish morning/day, it is a beautiful walk around the lagoon. If it was a bazillion degrees and humid, I wouldn't want to do it.

Yes, as other people have said, you check in at the Custom House - if you are using Disney Transportation, they will drop you off here. With DT they also deliver your bags to your room, so you are only lugging your carry-ons, but it is a hike to your room. Even with the internal transport - the stops are all at the parking lot areas/road, so to get into your 'island' is still a hike. Do a run through, as you may find getting off at another island stop is actually closer to your personal room than your named island stop. For example, we got off at Martinique rather than Barbados, even though we were in Barbados, because Martinique's bus stop was closer to our room. When you are ready to check out - call for the bell hop unless you want to haul your luggage - it's worth the few bucks. A good tip is $2 a bag - FYI.

Food court - it's nice, its Disney. The staff are super friendly and very helpful - but as I say in all my reviews - if you are rude to them or unpleasant, don't expect them to be super friendly. Are you ever super friendly to people who are unpleasant to you? And this is easy to do, after all typically when you eat in the food court, it is either first thing in the morning when you may still be a little groggy from lack of sleep OR last thing in the day after you have walked around the park and your legs hurt so badly you are sure you are dying - both add to unpleasantness. Just bear in mind how you treat others - I found when I acknowledged the fact that I was super tired to the staff, they seemed to go out of their way to offer suggestions and make sure that I remembered to grab a bottle of drink for my meal plan.

Pool - is AWESOME!!! Go early in the morning and the lifeguards select two children - aka pirates to lead the pool in a 'argh' cheer to make sure that no pirates are sleeping in the slide - and then the two children are the first to go down the slides. The signs will say that the pool and the hot tubs are only open from 10a-7p, but the wonderful manager in the food court (when I complained of my sore feet) told me that it is all open 24 hours - just without life guards.

The room was clean and comfortable. Honestly, we were only there to sleep so it really doesn't matter as long as it is clean in my book. We did have a towel sculpture when we arrived, and the housekeepers also did fun things with the boy's stuffed animals which made their day.

If you are going to Disney - this is a great moderate place to stay! Enjoy!

1 Thank travelwitch
Long Island, New York
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My sister and I visited Caribbean Beach Resort for a sisters' weekend in February 2013. This was my first time back to the resort since a less than stellar stay we had back in 2003. I am pleased to report that the resort is in much better shape these days.

My sister arrived earlier in the day than I did, so once my Magic Express arrived, I was able to go right to our room, building 15, right between Martinique and Bermuda. It was a nice spot, a little bit of a walk to the main pool/food court, but otherwise between the check in and the food/pool.

Our room was decorated in Finding Nemo decor, which was very cute! I really enjoyed all of the little Nemo features. The carpet, bedspreads, wallpaper, etc., have all been updated, which was nice and spruced up the room. There were some odd maintenance issues (a lightbulb in the sink area was dead for our whole stay, one of the knobs at the top of one bed had been lobbed off, and there was a spot of blood on the curtains), but otherwise, the room was kept clean and tidy. I think it was more of a maintenance issue than a housekeeping issue. Beds were VERY comfortable and the sheets were so soft!

The food court was large and had nice selections, BUT it does close earlier than the posted time. I arrived about 40 minutes prior to the "close" time and most of the food stations had already shut down for the night. There is ample seating there. The food I DID get was fresh and good.

The pool area was great. I only got to enjoy it on my last day there, before heading to the airport, but it was redone really well and made you feel as though you were sitting in the Caribbean somewhere. Pool activities were ongoing and fun for the kids who were playing.

The bus service was fine. We didn't have any awful waits. Not the best bus service I've had on property but not the worst either.

The resort ambiance was great. I loved the hammocks set up around the lake and the little oasis/pathway that they have going through the lake area. I think my kids would have loved the playground and the splash pad area at the pool.

The down side to the resort is its size- to walk the whole thing is a hike, and even going from the pool to the check-in/check-out was a bit of a walk.

Overall, I'm glad I tried Caribbean Beach Resort again, because it seemed much improved over our last stay and I wouldn't hesitate to choose this hotel if my favorite moderate level (Port Orleans French Quarter) was sold out.

Room Tip: I think you're best to be nearest to Old Port Royale, even if it's a long walk to check-in
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!