“Disney's best non-deluxe resort”

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Ranked #153 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My first memory of Disney is when my parents took me down to Caribbean Beach in 1988. We were lucky enough to be one of the first groups to stay at this hotel, and now 20+ years later i can say it still holds true to those great memories.

Everything about this resort is fantastic. It has some of the best scenery of any of the Disney Resorts, including the deluxe ones. It really has a great theme that flows well all throughout the area. The lobby / cafeteria are very colorful and are large enough to handle the crowds this resort has. Same arcade room from when i was a kid still exists...it's small but they cram a lot of games in there. The main pool is awesome, and keeps with the whole theme of the resort - if possible, getting a room with a pool view is ideal.

Resort location is probably one of the best - it's close to pretty much everything, no more than a 10 min bus ride anywhere which is very nice. Out of any place I've stayed at Disney, shuttles seem to flow very regularly here. I've never had a long wait for a bus, which is definitely an issue at some other hotels on the property. The resort itself is very well kept. Has some nice little beach areas for you to relax on, a nice walking trail, boat rentals, fishing, and plenty of stuff for little kids to do as well.

The only thing i was bummed about on this trip back was to find out the cafe menu is now the standard generic burger/hotdog/pizza you find at every other value/moderate resort. The two times i stayed here as a kid, i remember an awesome sandwich shop, hand made neopolitan pizza and all kinds of grilled foods. It's very cookie cutter now, and the food unfortunately isn't anything to rave about. Makes me feel like i'm at Burger King more than a resort. For the amount of money you pay at a moderate resort, you should get a little more bang for your buck, especially in the food department. (which is where they kill your wallet more than anything else!!!)

Other than that, i have nothing else to complain about. This is the next best thing to a deluxe resort. I'd highly suggest forgoing a value resort vacation and saving up to come here. For the difference in price, it's totally worth it. It's a great place with awesome location to everything Disney and really caters to a family with kids. If you can live with kinda blah food, smaller size rooms, and a bigger crowd, then don't ever bother with a deluxe resort.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jason H

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I typically start off most of my reviews by saying...if you want all of the creature comforts of home...stay home. If you want the comforts of a 5 star hotel...then stay at one. BUT, for the money, the location, and the theme - you can't beat Disney Caribbean Beach. It is a beautiful complex and you do feel like you are away from the hustle and bustle of the world at a Caribbean resort.

It is a HUGE complex, and when I say HUGE...I mean HUGE. You will read other folks reviews who will say, 'there is a lot of walking', and they are correct. We stayed in Barbados - which when you look on the map, and I know that you have, you will see it is next to Martinique which is next to the food court/pool area. (although, the main pool area - there are actually individual pools at each of the buildings). The walk from our room to the food court at a good pace (with my 13 year old) was about 10-12 minutes. The walk from our room to the food court with the 8 year old - closer to 15 minutes. I will say though, on a warm evening, or a coolish morning/day, it is a beautiful walk around the lagoon. If it was a bazillion degrees and humid, I wouldn't want to do it.

Yes, as other people have said, you check in at the Custom House - if you are using Disney Transportation, they will drop you off here. With DT they also deliver your bags to your room, so you are only lugging your carry-ons, but it is a hike to your room. Even with the internal transport - the stops are all at the parking lot areas/road, so to get into your 'island' is still a hike. Do a run through, as you may find getting off at another island stop is actually closer to your personal room than your named island stop. For example, we got off at Martinique rather than Barbados, even though we were in Barbados, because Martinique's bus stop was closer to our room. When you are ready to check out - call for the bell hop unless you want to haul your luggage - it's worth the few bucks. A good tip is $2 a bag - FYI.

Food court - it's nice, its Disney. The staff are super friendly and very helpful - but as I say in all my reviews - if you are rude to them or unpleasant, don't expect them to be super friendly. Are you ever super friendly to people who are unpleasant to you? And this is easy to do, after all typically when you eat in the food court, it is either first thing in the morning when you may still be a little groggy from lack of sleep OR last thing in the day after you have walked around the park and your legs hurt so badly you are sure you are dying - both add to unpleasantness. Just bear in mind how you treat others - I found when I acknowledged the fact that I was super tired to the staff, they seemed to go out of their way to offer suggestions and make sure that I remembered to grab a bottle of drink for my meal plan.

Pool - is AWESOME!!! Go early in the morning and the lifeguards select two children - aka pirates to lead the pool in a 'argh' cheer to make sure that no pirates are sleeping in the slide - and then the two children are the first to go down the slides. The signs will say that the pool and the hot tubs are only open from 10a-7p, but the wonderful manager in the food court (when I complained of my sore feet) told me that it is all open 24 hours - just without life guards.

The room was clean and comfortable. Honestly, we were only there to sleep so it really doesn't matter as long as it is clean in my book. We did have a towel sculpture when we arrived, and the housekeepers also did fun things with the boy's stuffed animals which made their day.

If you are going to Disney - this is a great moderate place to stay! Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank travelwitch
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My sister and I visited Caribbean Beach Resort for a sisters' weekend in February 2013. This was my first time back to the resort since a less than stellar stay we had back in 2003. I am pleased to report that the resort is in much better shape these days.

My sister arrived earlier in the day than I did, so once my Magic Express arrived, I was able to go right to our room, building 15, right between Martinique and Bermuda. It was a nice spot, a little bit of a walk to the main pool/food court, but otherwise between the check in and the food/pool.

Our room was decorated in Finding Nemo decor, which was very cute! I really enjoyed all of the little Nemo features. The carpet, bedspreads, wallpaper, etc., have all been updated, which was nice and spruced up the room. There were some odd maintenance issues (a lightbulb in the sink area was dead for our whole stay, one of the knobs at the top of one bed had been lobbed off, and there was a spot of blood on the curtains), but otherwise, the room was kept clean and tidy. I think it was more of a maintenance issue than a housekeeping issue. Beds were VERY comfortable and the sheets were so soft!

The food court was large and had nice selections, BUT it does close earlier than the posted time. I arrived about 40 minutes prior to the "close" time and most of the food stations had already shut down for the night. There is ample seating there. The food I DID get was fresh and good.

The pool area was great. I only got to enjoy it on my last day there, before heading to the airport, but it was redone really well and made you feel as though you were sitting in the Caribbean somewhere. Pool activities were ongoing and fun for the kids who were playing.

The bus service was fine. We didn't have any awful waits. Not the best bus service I've had on property but not the worst either.

The resort ambiance was great. I loved the hammocks set up around the lake and the little oasis/pathway that they have going through the lake area. I think my kids would have loved the playground and the splash pad area at the pool.

The down side to the resort is its size- to walk the whole thing is a hike, and even going from the pool to the check-in/check-out was a bit of a walk.

Overall, I'm glad I tried Caribbean Beach Resort again, because it seemed much improved over our last stay and I wouldn't hesitate to choose this hotel if my favorite moderate level (Port Orleans French Quarter) was sold out.

Room Tip: I think you're best to be nearest to Old Port Royale, even if it's a long walk to check-in
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2013

While there were some nice staff members and some good things, overwhelmingly this place was yucky.

Ick-factor:
Mold everywhere in the room
Clipped toenail in dresser drawer, along with misc. flakes of something
Marks and dings on furniture, walls, and walkways
Dirty and stained carpets

Subpar at any price:
Sandpaper sheets
Cheap, stained, thin, ineffectual blankets
Many TV stations would come and go with some (e.g., Animal Planet, TLC, Cooking...) not functioning 95% of the time
Refrigerator missing in room (should be standard)

We were guaranteed we wouldn't have to move mid-stay, but they literally forced us to to move rooms. Not great, but on top of this the front-desk lead, Gresa, acted put out that we weren't happy about this. Despite the fact that we didn't yell or get angry, she became very upset with us because we asked if there something she could do and when she said she couldn't, we stated that we weren't very happy about it. That set her off and she raised her voice. At that point, I asked for her manager since our conversation wasn't going anywhere. Her manager, George, comes out a few minutes later with his chest puffed out with an annoyed expression on his face. He was so rude and surly, it was almost bizarre. He defended Gresa and acted as if I had offended his girlfriend and now he was going to "deal" with me. Very macho and odd...he wouldn't apologize for the mistake. At the end of the conversation, I had to ask him how he would make this right...he never offered anything on his own. Gross behavior overall. The bad experience didn't end. While we went to front desk at 12:30, we weren't in our new room with our luggage and functioning keys until 6pm. Nothing they promised came through.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank taylor55
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed four nights at the Caribbean Resort, during a whirlwind three-day tour of three theme parks. Our room was used primarily as a stopover for sleep, a hot shower, and some meals. The room was clean and compact. No soundproofing, so you could hear the birds, children and suitcases being rolled on the sidewalks. Not a big deal, as this was not the height of tourist season. A short walk to the food court was fine - fair assortment of menus and to-go items. The transportation system made it worth the stay - buses running every 20 minutes, or so, to different venues. Great deal - not having to drive to Downtown Disney, or the parks and find a parking space and then remember when you parked when it was the end of a LONG day. Friendly staff everywhere. Good activities for children.

Room Tip: Stay near the transportation stops.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shadow34
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We have stayed here twice. The first time we stayed, I would say we had a better time- the weather was nicer, so we were at the pool more often and the resort pool is a lot of fun. It has two waterslides- a two story slide and a smaller slide meant more for smaller kids. There is also a nice water play area with a pirate ship for toddler/preschool aged children. The first time we went, we stayed in a Pirate themed room. My boys LOVED it. The location of our room was ideal as we had maybe 10 steps from our car to our hotel door. The second time we stayed, we enjoyed it but not as much as the first time. Did the Pirate room add to the magic? Maybe so. The weather was nicer then, too. All in all, We love the resort and would stay here again. ON our 2nd visit, though we were closer to the pool and to the Souvenir store/dining area which was a bonus. We stayed in Martinique the second time. The room was very clean and nice- we had a Toy Story themed room. The 'food court' area is nice- there a wide variety of different snacks and meals to choose from. The FREE dining plan, usually offered around late march/early April is the WAY TO GO. This is the ideal place to bring your kids, especially boys on a Disney vacation. It is located close to Epcot and The Boardwalk. I recommend visiting the Boardwalk while you're there. Kouzzina was one of the best restaurants we went to. I highly recommend The Caribbean Beach Resort.

Room Tip: We had no problems with either room we stayed in. The Pirate room was awesome, but it's a bit mo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sheryl B
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I love this resort! My daughter and I went for Mother's Day weekend last year and we had the best time. It was about a 5 minute walk from our room to the main building with the pool and food court but did not mind that at all. It was a beautiful walk. You walk along water and gorgeous greenery and along the way Caribbean music is piped out of rocks. In different spots there are hammock that you can lie on and just enjoy the ambiance. The food court was really nice and my daughter loved the pool with the water slides. We never waited long for the buses to take us to the parks. The rooms were nicely decorated and very clean. It was just a really nice experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Wendy S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!