“Not what I had hoped for :(”

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Ranked #148 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Evansville, Indiana
“Not what I had hoped for :(”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Just went for a weekend with a friend to get our disney fix. She had never stayed in anything other than a value so I was really excited for her to experience a moderate. What a disappointment!!

We were in the martinique section. We walked in and it was just blah. It was overly musty in our room. Only one of the beds had a comforter and they failed to bring one for the remainder of our stay. I know I could have asked for one but it seemed like something I shouldn't have to ask for.

The colors and theming was a hodgepodge of whatever. You could see mold on floors and walls. This room needed desperate updates. I was kind of embarrassed bringing my friend here. I found myself wishing we would of just stayed value.

The positives were the grounds were lovely. We had great luck with the busses. The staff was super friendly and helpful. I probably won't try this resort again unless they do remodeling. Not worth the extra $ as it is.

I just want to stress that I am not a room snob. Im pretty easy to please. I was really sad disney would allow such low quality to pass for moderate accommodations.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank duckduck619

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,746)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nassau Bay, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

My family stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort in March of 2012. While we were there, they were repainting the exterior of the facility. It didn't even appear aged. The landscaping was nice, the rooms were what I expected. Much like a Holiday Inn, not a luxury resort. But, this is a family moderate resort, so it was what I expected. Disney transportation always is the selling point for me at these hotels.
I do have one complaint. When I made the reservations, I requested rooms close to the bus stop because my elderly grandmother traveled with us. This request was not honored, in fact they tried to put us on the second floor- with my grandmother at the front desk at the time.
Other than that, good trip. I just wouldn't rave about the front desk staff.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LauraC2003
laurendavis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

After a long drive from visiting family in South Florida for xmas we arrived to such a pleasant check in. They had cookies and lemon aide available. And our son was given a pirate's sword at check in. The hotel is what you would expect from a moderate level. The room is plenty big enough. To me, the motel layout (where your windows look out onto the walk way) is very dated and something I dislike a lot. However, the grounds are what you stay here for. The sand beach areas and hammocks are everywhere. The main pool has water slides and a pirate ship wreck. They roast marshmallows on the beach in the evenings. And there is a lot to choose from in their main food court area. I thought it was a quick walk over there, it never bothered us (and we have a 14 month old son). And we loved the playground. We had to wait for the bus for 15 minutes a couple of times. But overall, for what we paid, it was a very good value. And Disney's customer service is bar none. Totally Disney magic every time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank laurendavis
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

It was very expensive--more than I care to spend for a small room with two double beds, but it was Disney so I expected it to be overpriced.

Aside from the price for the room, the hotel was perfect. It was clean, quiet, and fun. I stayed with my son (4 yrs) and met some friends and their son (5 yrs). What struck me was how friendly the staff was towards the children and how they sought to engage them and entertain them.

The Caribbean Beach Resort is huge; it reminds me of a large apartment complex rather than a hotel. Each building has its own pool but in the center of the buildings is a gathering place for the guests. It has a themed pool, playground, food court, gift shop and arcade. It was too cold to swim in the pool while I stayed and my son was very disappointed (as was I); it looked like a lot of fun to swim in. The center area could easily entertain a family who wished to take a break from one of the theme parks.

I did the mandatory bedbug check on the mattresses as soon as I entered the room and found that the mattresses looked brand new. For that matter, the entire room looked fresh and clean.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with friends, make sure that you are in the same building. The grounds are huge...
1 Thank River_Suwan
columbus, ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel was chosen as the "team" hotel for my daughter's gymnastics team for their competition at ESPN Wide World of Sports gymnastics meet. The hotel is "ok". The rooms are "ok". Our room and other teammate's rooms were very musty smelling. The beds are "ok". Not super comfortable. The pillows were uncomfortable - old foam style pillow. The pools are nice! However, the smaller pools do not offer towels at the pool. You have to take a room towel or walk to the big pool and take a pool towel from there. The big pool is very nice and the kids had lots of fun hanging out after they competed. The food is awful and very expensive. I would not stay here again if the choice was mine!

Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

This hotel was essentially what we expected, a decent room on a Disney property. The main portion of the room was a little small, so it didn't have a lot of room for my toddler son to run around. The most difficult thing about the room was that when he went to bed, we went to bed. There were no lights that we could turn on that would illuminate anything other than the bathroom that wouldn't keep him up in his pack and play on on the side of the room. We appreciated the free wireless in the room. I was very disappointed that the tv didn't have DisneyJr. I mean, come on, this is DisneyWorld for goodness sake. Our room was in Jamaica and the walk to the dining area and main pool area was about 7 minutes, but we're fast walkers. The property was as advertised on Disney's website, so we got what we expected. Whenever we go again, I think we'll pick a resort closer to Magic Kingdom, which is where we spent most of our time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Ohiogirl00
Watertown, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had a fabulous stay during the 2013 Marathon Weekend. It was my husband and myself and my college age son and his girlfriend. We had adjoining rooms in the Martinique Building #22. It was a fabulous location for us, for we were close to the parking lot where we had parked our rental car and also to the bus stop taking us to all the Disney Parks including to the race. We were also close to a quiet pool and it was a rather short walk to the Food and Bar area and the Main Pool.
The rooms are a bit bigger than others we have stayed in at Disney, they were clean and although they do need a bit of updating, however, they fit our needs perfectly. Our building was in a quiet area and I found the sound proofing was great! We didn't hear anyone else around us.
The grounds are very well maintained and I found them to be lovely and relaxing.
My only complaint would be Housekeeping. I felt the room could have been cleaner and that the coffee maker and supplies should have been kept up better, often didn't have enough for 2 cups. Also found this with the shower items, only 1 bottle of shampoo and conditioner our entire 5 night stay. Also thought it was a bit odd that there was no moisturizer, shower cap, etc. with the vanity items.

Room Tip: Martinique building was a great location. Also a good tip...buy the refillable mugs, well worth it...
2 Thank HeatherH2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!