“An average Disney property”

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Ranked #152 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I really enjoyed my recent visit to Disney World. The Caribbean Beach Resort was perfectly fine, but it wasn't quite what I'd hoped it be. Briefly, I think the hotel, particularly 1326, could use a little TLC.

Here's what I observed:

1. The room smelled of bleach when I entered. I didn't mind it too much, but it wasn't the most welcoming scent.
2. The air unit showed signs of disrepair (the air was nice and cool)
3. The bathroom counter was scratched in two places
4. The toilet sounded labored/old(?) when I flushed. I had to hold the handle down for quite a long time to ensure it flushed properly.
5. The outlet cover near the second bed was loose.
6. The bedding looked a little old when I pulled back the comforter.

In regards to the resort, I noticed the following:

1. The fact that check-in and the restaurants/shops were in two separate buildings across the property was strange. It's not what I'm used to.
2. Port Royale just felt too far from Barbados to walk. Maybe I'm just being a lazy American, but, after few hours of sleeping the night before my getaway, 3.5 hours of driving, and a big day at Animal Kingdom, I just wasn't up for trying to find my way from Barbados to PR or vice versa when I hadn't even had a chance to get a lay of the land. My suggestion is to have some food items stored in the fridge if you plan to have a long day like I did.
3. NEVER should I receive those scam pizza fliers at a Disney resort, yet I did. I left a note detailing my concern. I know oversights happen, but given how pervasive the problem and given my experience with Disney (I've never seen these fliers on property), I am disappointed.

There were positives

1. Transportation was easily accessible from each of the islands
2. The counter-service restaurant was cute and the food served was good; the seating area seemed small for the resort
3. There was a nice patio outside of my room
4. The furniture in the room was in good repair; the towels were plentiful; the room had a happy energy
5. My Mousekeeper Magda E. did a really nice job. The room was in tip top shape when I returned from MNSSHP early this AM.

Ultimately, given that I was out of the room so much of the time and given that I got an amazing deal on the hotel, I can't complain. I do feel compelled to give the resort a 3 and not a 4 because I know Disney has the resources to fix the issues I've outlined. It also has the Imagineers to come up with a new vision for the CBR, perhaps like the one at PO FQ/RS.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank lanakoala

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had no problems with the cleanliness (yes, we looked), the location, Centertown (food & store) and the overall condition of the room. Just note...if you are traveling without kids, and are looking for quiet times, this may not be for you. We heard everything! Only an issue this time around (because who goes to WDW to sleep late?) since we did not want to start the Food and Wine Festival as soon as Epcot opened.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Metsfan698606
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I just returned from a 4 day stay at the Carribean Beach Resort with my grandchildren. I was very pleased at the accomodations that we had. The rooms were very clean, plenty of space to put items. I had requested to be put in the Martinique section to be closer to a bus stop and also somewhat close to the pool as well as the food court and restaurant. I was pleased to be put there and it was a nice walk to the bus, and to the main pool. We had a nice dinner at Shutter's one night and ate two nights outdoors eating pizza while watching the outdoor movie.

My grandchildren really enjoyed the pools. My younger grandson really enjoyed the Pirate themed pool for smaller children and my grandaughter loved the larger pool and games and activities there, which were frequent. The area around the pool and bar gets busy around 7:30 before the 8:00 movie.

I had no problem getting bell service to the Custom's house upon leaving. I had rented a stroller and also ordered food to be delivered to the hotel prior to my arrival and it was already for me when I arrived. I would definitely have no problem staying here again, especially for younger children, its a great resort. The staff were very friendly and helpful from arrival to departure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2012

First we were there for a family reunion. Our agent reconfirmed our reservation twice but upon arrival they had no idea we were all together and did not have us in 1 bldg. we couldn't even stay close and were across the lake thus missed out on many late night events. Then our room, which as in all things these days Disney, was expensive for the accommodations, had BLACK mold growing in the bathroom. All around the tub/shower and on the wall behind the toilet where there had apparently been a leak.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We used this location for our 4 night stay. We spent a few extra dollars for a "pirate themed" room. The overall quality of the room was sub par by Disney's standards. Once upon a time, it was probably quite nice. Now however, it is really showing its age. The "boat" frame around the bed was chipped, scratched or cracked in many places. The bedspread was so thin you could almost see through it. The carpet was faded pretty bad. The walls of the room had a lot of scuff marks and needed a fresh coat of paint. Otherwise, the beds were very comfortable. The room cleaning was excellent. The quality of the linens and towels were on par for this level of resort.
The resort is widespread and layed out in clusters of room. The restaurant/shopping/activities center is in the middle of it all. You can walk or ride a bus between you room and the center. The restaurants are all, except one, a fast food type style. The quality was good and the variety allowed us to vary over our 4 days. Each of the clusters has its own pool, and there is a main pool in the middle. Each of the pools are huge and were never crowded while we were there.
The Disney transportation to and from the airport is somewhat confusing. Your wait time depends on your level of resort. We had to wait 35 minutes for a bus when we arrived. On way back, it is confusing how to get your bags to the front desk (not allowed on resort buses). But the quality of the buses back and forth from resort to airport were very nice and clean.
Overall, this is a decent resort. I would certainly stay here again. I would not pay for any extra themed room. And not having to pay to park at all the parks was nice.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank 1BigCoach
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Awful experience hap my IPad stolen from my room. Your personal belongings will not be safe here!! Food was bad and people seem to be always in a bad mood. Why stay rooms are dated and as you can see security is horrible. The manager was nice but just gave me a number to call. Don't spend your $$$ here.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank DarioReyes
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed here for the first time... pirate rooms (with FL resident discount) were worth it. My sons (almost 3 and 4) LOVED it. The pirate ship beds were AWESOME.
I had read previous reviews and was prepared... the resort is VERY spread out. Pirate rooms are at one end of the resort and it's a long walk to the middle with the pool and shops, etc. But our reason for staying there was the pirate rooms so we were good. Beds are very small (doubles I think), but if I recall correctly, a cast member said they may upgrade them to queens.
Pirate rooms worth it (get FL resident or other discount though otherwise they can be very expensive) if your kids are into that kind of thing and keep in mind the resort is very spread out.
Only thing that bothered me... I asked a cast member where the playground was and we happened to be next to the pool and he said that was the only one. We walked a little further and found the playground. If he didn't know he should have asked another cast member or simply said he wasn't sure, because there was a playground. Playground was GREAT too....

Room Tip: Remember resort is spread out, long walks. Pirate rooms are great, but get FL resident discount or o...