“"Preferred" rooms not worth the money”

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Ranked #149 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Oakdale, Connecticut
“"Preferred" rooms not worth the money”
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I did not realize that I would need a shuttle bus to take me to the pods where I then had to search for my room . I thought "preferred" meant I would be fairly close to things. Apparently it means you are within 5 minutes of the food court, and a 15 minute walk to the "customs house". Oh, you can wait for the shuttle, which runs every 20 minutes (except early in the AM when you might need to leave to catch a flight). I should have stayed at a value resort and saved the money. Also the only Disney property where I've actually seen a rat!

9 Thank tourist33878

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,807)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 25, 2011

My family just came back from here. Good choice for a Disney hotel for families. Our only comment is this resort is large and requires plenty of walking to reach the gift shop, bar, or food court.
After a long day at the parks it was difficult at times to walk to the food court.
We would stay here again but would pick an Island close to the food court etc...
Staff at main custom house can be a bit unorganized but still very friendly.
Most trip to magic kingdom took 20 minutes by motor coach , depending on traffic . But still an easy trip.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 25, 2011

My children (ages 11 & 7) and myself stayed here in July and we had a great time! Let me start by listing the positives (as there were far more than negatives).
-The resort is actually as beautiful as the pictures found on disney's website. The beaches were very pretty and there never seemed to be many people around so we could spend a LOT of time laying on the hammocks or playing in the sand. (You just cannot swim in the lake).
-The swimming pool is by far the BEST at disney! It is very large and their small children's pool was a HIT w/ my 7yr old. It has a wonderful play area that dumps buckets of water on their heads. Very cute!
-The room was very clean and the maids always met all of my requests for more towels, soap, etc.
-Bus service was fine. We waited probably 20 minutes for a bus to Hollywood studios, but all other buses we needed came w/in 5-10 minutes. I was never annoyed by the service they provided. It sure beats driving myself there!

Negatives---and there is only one-----
-The food court was ok. I hate listing it as a negative because it wasn't bad by any means; however, my children and I have a strict diet and we were unable to find many healthy options. The food is all fast food style, which again, isn't a bad thing...it just wasn't what we were looking for. We made the best of it and ate there when we needed to and utilzed downtown disney quick service restaurants for the remainder of our stay.

I have read a few reviews that state that this resort if super LARGE and I would agree that it IS large; however, I felt it wasn't outragous. I would recommend a prefered room if you have health problems or if you are slightly overweight, because the walking could be a little much for someone after a LONG day at the park. We are pretty fit and we even found it a little exhausting at times to walk far to the pool or food court. So my recommendation is to splurge on the prefered room or use the internal bus system. I wouldn't make it a deciding factor on staying here....because the resort is FANTASTIC!

Room Tip: -prefered room -use the quick dining plan
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank TravelbugMissouri
Mooretown, Ontario
Reviewed April 23, 2011

This was our second time staying at Caribbean Beach. Although it is a large complex consisting of six different islands of buildings, the setting makes up for any walks to the main restaurant and pool are of Old Port Royale. This main pool features an old fort like structure for the older children and a pirate ship are for the younger kids. The restaurant area features both table-service seating "Shutter" and the counter-service stations that provide a variety of food.

The islands of room complexes are placed around a lagoon that features a lovely walkway around the perimeter. Martinique and North Trinidad are preferred room areas and are closet to Old Port Royale. South Trinidad is the farthest from OPR but hosts the pirate rooms that have the boat-like beds, crate furniture, pirate curtain and other theme-like decor.

Distance from the parks is average with no major rides to the parks. The only downside with the CBR bus service is the stops at all the varying island pick-ups.

Overall, this is a great spot to stay at WDW.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Coondog99
Plantsville, Connecticut
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We just arrived home from Disney's Caribbean Beach Club and loved every minute we were there! The grounds are gorgeous and you feel as if you are in the caribbean. It does not have the "Disney Feel" but you feel the Disney Magic throughout your stay no matter where you are or what you are doing! Our last visit to Disney we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. We loved it but the Caribbean Beach is so much more geared for children. The main swimming pool is so much fun for the kids. There is a tropical bar to order frozen drinks while your children swim. The rooms are not huge but it fit two adults, a 9 and 6 year old quite nicely. We had three suit cases and four carry-ons and we never felt cramped. We requested Martinique Building (since it is the closest to Old Port Royal: food court and stores). You should really google a map of the resort to choose what building you want to stay in so you are not disappointed if you have a "long" walk to the main area. We visited during Spring Break (Easter Week). We were able to catch a bus to the parks with a 10 minute wait. Once in a while it would be about 15 minutes. But just make sure you leave enough time for your travels to make any reservations that you might have at the parks or other resorts. We never had a problem and we were there during one of their busiest times of the year. Overall, for a moderate Disney resort...they do it right!! Enjoy and Relax...it is a vacation!! This review is dedicated to my friend Bonnie...Have a Blast!!!

Room Tip: Pick a building near Old Port Royal
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
klelmore
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We stayed here last week and really enjoyed it. We had the premier King bed room and it was awesome. We felt like we really were in Aruba and it was enoyable. Our area was the second to last bus stop which made it perfect because we always got out of our resort in less than 5 minutes. It was perfect. We loved walking to the main area (food court, pirate pool, bar, etc.) as it was no more than a 5 minute walk which was really nice. This area was great and had great food selections for us that we really enjoyed. I would highly recommend this hotel, but it is worth it to pay for the premium room.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Great location and amazing pools. They don't have wifi though :-/

• Stayed April 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!