“Great for conventions. Less so for vacationers”

Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs
Ranked #207 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed May 16, 2005

Great hotel for conventions. My company arranged for an affordable price: $98/night including the resort fee (more on that below). Self parking was free but a bit distant from the hotel. Main advantage is that the hotel is walking distance (5 mns) to Downtown Disney: Marketplace and Pleasure Island. If you are coming for DisneyWorld this is too far to commute.
Hotel is clean and generally decent. Rooms are large and well furnished.
As mentioned in other reviews, staff not very helpful for requests for info but what do you expect? Just go to the concierge!
The three things I did not like were:
1. A notice on the minibar stating that if you remove items to use it as a refrigerator you would be charged $10 per day.
2. A connecting charge of $0.75 to 1-800 numbers and extra charges after 25 minutes.
3. Resort fees
The first 2 items just make the hotel look cheap. How much money can they be making out of that! As for resort fees, they are just a ripoff! I did not have to pay them because of my negotiated rate but I met other guests who complained about them. Hotels who charge them are being deceitful. If they want to charge extra, they should just include it in the hotel price so folks can make an honest comparison. Somebody should start an action law suit or something...
This hotel deserve about 3 stars but certainly not more, it is better for convention crowds than families on vacation.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank Docsam

Reviewed May 10, 2005

My family and I (2 adults and 2 children) had a wonderful time at the Wyndham Hotel on the Disney resort. The staff were friendly and helpful. The restaurants were good. Service by the pool excellent. Our room was huge with 2 big kingsize beds and lots of cupboard space. Definitely worth the money. Would go again.

4  Thank LBFC2014
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, Ma
Reviewed May 9, 2005

I stayed at the Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa April 05 - May 05 for 4 nights. The Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa employees overall were not friendly. (Front desk, guest services, mini mart, stores and pool area). The one exception, the bell boys, they were pleasant. The employees acted as if it was a bother to them to be asked questions regarding the hotel and or parks. The house keeping service disregarded numerous requests for just an extra blanket and the towels were never fully replenished. The rooms in general could have been cleaner. The hotel offers an in room refrigerator, this was not in the room we were giving. They also offer in room safes, which was unusable until the 2nd day when they decided to stop by and fix it. They stated that there are three heated swimming pools, the pools are not heated. They charge additional "Resort Fees" to all guests for using the amenities but advertise them as the hotel perks and when questioned on them they could not properly answer with a reason of the fee.
They definitely cater to the convention guests rather than the vacation guests. The Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa was a huge disappointed especially with the advertised perks of the hotel. Knowing that there is such a large variety of hotels to choose from in the Disney area for the same value as the Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa, I would not return as a guest nor would I recommend the Wyndham Hotel to others.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 8, 2005

I stayed one night at this so called resort. The Hotel must have been beautiful 20 years ago. It is just run down now with very little renovation or upgrades in the rooms. It is a shame that this once beautiful hotel has become run down and moldy. At check out I overheard a women at front desk, saying something about needing another room because there was voimit in hers. I had read other reviews so I knew that some rooms were disgusting and items did not work, so I request to see the room and one that faced The Marketplace. It had a great view of the pool, and the Market Place. I also asked about a room with out mold and was given one with a hepa filetering system. which helped enormously. On the second day, I could smell the some mold but not enough to set off my alergies. As for the Disney name afiliation, I wonder when the last time anyone from Disney visitied there. The two main restaurants were explensive, and the KuKuburro longes was foul smelling with a limited and pricey. The waitress told us it was suppose to have a band, but it had not had one for over a year. The rest room, which they shared with the pricey Outback was discusting and the toliets would not flush. The Lobby on floor # 3 and the first level were well kept as were the grounds and pool area, it was all just a front to make the hotel appear better then it was. I got the room for $75 on price line and with taxes and fees came to $92 a night. I could have stayed at one of the mid priced disney hotels for the same price. I will never stay there again. I had a similiar experience on New Years Eve 2000 when I stayed at another "Disney Property Hotel" The Grovesnor and thought that this one would be better. Someone from Disney should go over and check out thiese places befoe they put their name on them. I expect Disney to stand for excellence and quality and these two hotels had neither. The room dismal, and the bench had white stains on it, the curtian and liner was falling of the brackets and the liner had black spots all over it. The sheer curtain was stained yellow from smoke. I did not dare to change the room for fear we would get worse. Room service had a 20% gatuity charge and a $3 delivery charge making coffee and muffins at $13.00 come to over $20. All in all a bad experience and would not stay there again, for that matter I would not stay at any of the so called Disney Market Place affiliated hotels. I paid $75 on priceline and most of the discount on line sites had it for $134. I could have spent this on any Disney hotel and gotten more.

• Stayed: May 2005
1  Thank Cercyse
Reviewed May 3, 2005

What a dissapointment
having stayed here for the last 9 days of our holiday if we hadnt pre paid we would have moved hotels rooms were dirty with nails from carpet grippers coming through the floor, staff were really surly except for pool girl she was lovely pools inadequate for size of hotel food was ok but nothing special they have loads of conferences here and thats all they are interested in apparently they are starting to refit the rooms this year so leave any visits until 2006 on the upside the proximity to downtown disney was superb,stayed in the royal pacific in universal before we came here and that was out of this world

2  Thank TheBigSwan
Reviewed April 26, 2005

If you want a hotel for close access to down town disney they do not get any closer. However as a 5 star rated hotel it does fall very short. The rooms are very draband and would only rate 3 star. The 2 pools are small and not enough sun loungers to go round and not particulary child friendly. The staff are not very friendly and seem more concerned about there confrences being held than their guests. Generally hotel O.K but not 5 star. For the same money you can stay at the Cyprus Hyatt across the road which is a fantastic hotel and resort with freindly helpful staff and is 5 star. Wish I had gone back their instead.

3  Thank mark133
Reviewed April 26, 2005

OK... I am writing because this review because I was terrified after reading the reviews prior to my stay (April 15 to April 22, 2005).. in fact I was really worried and considered changing my hotel .... in any event... the Wyndham grounds are very nice and lush (green) and clean too...the lobby is nice...I mean I have been to wyndham aruba and jamaica and it was comparable to those in some ways... and the rooms were pretty clean on the surface and pretty modern...maybe housekeeping could have been a little better but remember this is a family hotel... tons of kids at times....so the rooms do take a beating... (not that many kids were there in April though) the hotel was quiet and the pools were clean and heated...the breakfast buffet and restaurant were great...best potatoes ever... and the waitresses and staff always greeted us with a smile..bottled water was expensive... so I started asking for water with lemon and that was free so that was good... otherwise $3.00 a bottle... the disney buses were on time and empty sometimes..... and the location could not be beat... just minutes away from the all the restaurants and shops you need (downtown disney) ...walked there often....we ate at Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Cafe... we like Rainforest better.... we had no problems checking in or out.. pool bar was expensive and pool grill was expensive.. but food and drinks were great.. and we only made it to the pool like 3 days out of 7 because we were at the parks anyway.... sunny every day.. anyhow.. the hotel was nice...not too nice...but at least clean.. we requested a high floor...22nd (non smoking) view of downtown disney and pool and lake....very pretty... not noisey either..... I think that it way nicer that some of the hotels we passed... although they were nice.. I think the wyndham was much nicer... the recreation island at the wyndham was nice....my suggestions are to request non smoking...who wants to be in a smokey room ???? and request a higher floor...views are worth it.... and just relax ...no major problems.. !! As far as disney.... the Magic Kingdom is truly magical and worth every penny !!!! Also, book the Luau at Disney's Polynesian Resort too... good food and fun !!!!

8  Thank SunshinePhiladelphia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Best Western Lake Buena Vista - Disney Springs Resort Area
Terra Verde Resort
#11 of 64 in Kissimmee
Windsor Palms Resort
#8 of 64 in Kissimmee
Regal Palms Resort & Spa
#2 of 13 in Davenport

Been to Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs? Share your experiences!