“Not Terrible, but not Excellent!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs

Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs
Ranked #214 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
A TripAdvisor Member
“Not Terrible, but not Excellent!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2004

I stayed at the Wyndham Palace for one night. The hotel is beautiful and very big. I joined a free program offered by the hotel called the Wyndham By Request. You can sign up on their webpage. The By Request program offered many extra features which turned out to be very good. There was a special line for people with the By Request program to check into the hotel. Otherwise, you had to wait in a very, very long line. I was very surprised that there were only two people at the front desk checking guests in. I'm not sure why specially because the hotel is so big.

We paid $139.00 for a two bedroom tower suite. The room was huge. I had my own room with a full size very comfortable pull out bed. My friend slept in the other room behind a closed door. His room was a full size standard room at the hotel but connected to my room making it a suite. Because I live in Florida, I got the special Florida rate. I also got a free buffet breakfast and a $30.00 gift certificate in the hotel. The breakfast was nothing special. We ate there because it was free to us but there was not a wide variety of foods like you would expect from a full buffet. I would never pay $18.95 a person for the buffet. There was one lady making eggs, omelets, and waffles and three hot containers with potatoes, sausage, pancakes, and one other item. There were bagels and other bread items around the corner. For $18.95 I would expect French toast, maybe even some items for lunch if you were going to have a brunch. And at almost $20.00 a person with tax, a family may pay close to $100.00 just for breakfast.

The service at the Wyndham Palace is not very good. I called house keeping at 6:00pm because the pull out sofa was not made up, it was just a mattress with no sheets, blankets, etc... I didn't know until later that it should have already been made up, but at the time I was ok as long as they would make the bed up. I told them we are leaving to go to downtown Disney and would not be back until midnight. They told me that the bed would be made up by then. Well, low and behold, when I returned to my room at 12, the bed was not made up. THEY HAD SIX HOURS TO MAKE THE BED UP. I was tired and was quite pissed off. But, they did send someone up to make the bed.

While he made up the bed I decided to take a shower. The handle in the shower was so hard to turn, it took two of us, and there was no hot water. Luckily, we had another shower in the other bedroom. So, they sent a mechanic up to fix the problem but I never bothered to check if the problem was fixed.

Our room was located next to the elevators in the main tower. Most people said that they did not stay in the main tower; most of the suites are in another building. I guess there are only a few in the main tower. Most of the regular rooms are in the main tower. I heard talking all night and the noise from the pool could be heard in my room.

Make sure you become at Wyndham By Request member. You get free high speed DSL, free long distance, a room upgrade at no extra charge if they have a better room than the one you booked, early check in and late check out, and lots of other advantages.

In my review I gave some positive aspects of the hotel and some negative aspects. In this case, there are more things to say bad about this hotel than good. The Wyndham Palace is overpriced and very busy. They need extra people working there to accommodate all of the guests. I couldn't believe when I checked in that there were only two people checking in guests to one of the biggest hotels in Disney. The hotel is located on the other side of the street to Downtown Disney. Although it is in walking distance, it is a pretty long walk.

To wrap up, there are much better hotels around then the Wyndham Palace. The Wyndham is overpriced, not very quick to do things, and has many problems. The Wyndham Palace is more for older guests. If you have to stay at the Wyndham, make sure you sign up for the Wyndham By Request. O and by the way, there is a $10 per day resort fee plus taxes on the resort fee.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (951)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2004

We just spent five nights at this hotel and I must stay that we were satisfied. We were originally concerned about some of the bad reviews, however our experience was pleasant. Obviously, this is not a Four Seasons or the Ritz, hotels where we have stayed before, but the rates are also very different. Our room on the 16th floor was more than fine, better than many Sheratons and Holiday Inns. No smell or rust.... It seemed to have been recently renovated.

It is true that the pool area is average, but we did not really care. We were never there anyway. The service in our case was better than average. 5 minutes to have a bellboy at the room at two occasions and less than 5 minutes to have our car brought up on 6 occasions.

The people who say this place is a dump must have stayed at a different property or had a totally different room than us. I would stay there again with my family anytime. By the way, the proximity to Downtown Disney (5-7 minute) is a great advantage. The Watercress Cafe was good for lunch, the chili and pizza were good. For the price we paid, this was very hard to beat !

1 Thank GlobalCtzen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2004

This hotel is horrible! I was there 7/29-8/2. I booked my trip through expedia...the pictures made it look great. I was really excited about staying there.
Well, when I got there it was a total different story. First of all, when we arrived the bus boys didn't even grab our bags or open the doors for us. The front desk is small and they only had 2 very slow people checking people in, so the line was enormous. The hotel was sold out and they wanted to send us to a different hotel for the night and have us come back the next day. They were going to compensate us by giving our "hotel account" a credit...not our credit card where we purchased the trip. So, if you don't use your hotel account for anything, then you didn't really get compensated. We said no and they stuck us in this room that looked like it hadn't been used in years. It was old, it smelled, the bathrooms were gross. The shower door was rusty and the water didn't drain. We tried calling the front desk but they didn't answer and we really didn't feel like waiting in line to complain, so we left to the parks and when we came back we asked to be moved. They moved us to a smaller room on a different floor the next day. It was cleaner but essentially it's still an old hotel, so the bathrooms were still gross to me and the shower door was rusty in this room too. But atleast it didn't smell....so whatever. We stayed there. That night we went out. When we came back at around 2am, we were unable to enter our room. It turns out they had booked another guest in our room!!!! The front desk lady tried to make it seem as if it wasn't a big deal by saying it was a little old lady who got scared once she opened the door and saw our stuff and immediately went downstairs to tell them the room was occupied. My husband and I were so upset! That was ridiculous. It doesn't matter who it was. The last thing you expect a hotel to do is book a person in the same room and have that stranger enter your room. They could've gone through our stuff, stole something...you never know. Luckily all of our stuff was in its place, but it was a major inconvenience for us to have to go through everything to make sure nothing was missing. We complained to the hotel manager and he apologized to us and tried to compensate us by offering us breakfast the next day free of charge. Oh boy, like that was really going to make us feel better. We were incredibly disappointed with this hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. If you are thinking of booking this hotel, please reconsider. If you already have, I would say cancel and book your stay elsewhere!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2004

This entire Wyndham property is in serious need of major improvement. It is very much misrepresented on its homepage. The rooms are in very deteriorated conditions - from the soiled carpeting, to the ripped, old comforters, to the small bathroom with peeling ceiling & wallpaper, to the terrible service by the management. We checked out after the 1st night and booked elsewhere for the remainder of the week. In fact, there were 4 other guests we met who were very unhappy with their unfulfilled expectations at the Wyndham.

The manager never spoke to us in person regarding our discontent. The Wyndham corporate customer service refused to cancel or credit the reservation because it was a "web rate special" regardless of the hotel's inability to provide suitable room upgrades.

So avoid the frustration and disillusionment by skipping the Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa - it is not worth more than $70 a night for its mediocrity. And do not, I repeat, do not book a Wyndham "web rate" unless you know the property very well and you are absolutely certain you will not need to cancel your reservation!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2004

I went to Orlando last year in August. I spent 3 nights in this hotel and I loved it. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are clean. It is across the street from Downtown Disney. The price was great too. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Nicest hotel in the Downtown Disney area.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2004

I was extremely nervous after booking my reservation with the Wyndham because of the reviews that I read....I had absolutely nothing to worry about. The resort is beautiful. Staff were helpful and very friendly. The only problem I encountered was my room was not ready upon check-in and parking is a little bit far. But overall, the pool and recreation facilities are great. The deluxe king size hotel room I had was roomy and very clean. Housekeeping did a wonderful job cleaning and replacing amenties everyday. Very close to Downtown Disney. I would without a doubt come back!!!! I can't wait until I go back next year.

Puyallup, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2004

I was a little skeptical after reading a few of the reviews that had been posted.

We arrived the evening of July 2nd and couldn't have been happier with our 8 days at the Wyndham Palace. The check in was quick (signing up for Wyndham by Request helps) and the staff was very helpful. Had a 1 bedroom suite in a seperate building which was very nice and had a great view and welcome basket waiting. (Costco rate of 139.00/night) We did discovered we needed a roll away bed 5 min. later it was there. Didn't have a ironing board, 5 min later it was there. Extra towels, help with tickets, special parking was
provided.

The location was great, right across the street from Downtown Disney and the Transportaion Center. It was a very simple drive to all of the parks. The pools and the work out facilities/spa were great. On the day I took the kids to universal, my wife had a relaxing day at the pool and got a massage at the spa.

The kids loved the pool when they had a chance to use it. They loved Disneyworld were pretty tired when we got in from a day at the parks. The only blip that my wife mentioned was the lack of an extra mirror in the room to help with primping when someone taking shower.

I will come back to visit Disneyworld again (8 days is not enough) and the Wyndham Palace will have my business again.

6 Thank Mary G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
BEST WESTERN Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel
Windsor Palms Resort
#7 of 58 in Kissimmee
Regal Palms Resort & Spa
#2 of 12 in Davenport
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,051 reviews

Been to Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs? Share your experiences!