“Disappointing”

Ranked #208 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Selby
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I have to start by saying the staff were lovely here and turned this in to a positive. I was genuinely disappointed that we were given a room overlooking the main entrance, given that we were not overnight guests but staying there for 2 weeks. On booking in they were completely full so there was no option to change. The room itself was clean (a must for me) but had no ventilation (one window unable to open-no balcony :( ....). I had read reviews about the damp smell and have to say I did notice this straight away after walking in. I quickly realised that this was due to the poor bathroom ventilation (the fan was not powerful enough to cope with the steam from the shower). I could not have a shower without it pouring on to the bathroom floor hence a daily ritual of stuffing towels between the bath/door/wall and very wet floor. Having said that the shower itself was wonderful! I think the damp has got into the carpet and therefore is difficult to eradicate. Such a shame because the room itself was tastefully decorated and we were happy to get 2 large beds, as we were sharing with a 12 year old. We possibly got one of the rooms which was in need of a bathroom refurb. It was very noisy being directly over the front entrance/close to reception which did wake us through the night.
Disappointingly on arrival we had to ring to reception for coffee/tea etc and a hair dryer. I noticed that the maid certainly scrimped on providing things for the room. It was a lottery as to what we received on a daily basis, from coffee to bath mat and toiletries. When we did contact reception we were never made to feel anything was a problem and they later telephoned to ensure we were happy, which was a nice touch.
The maid came by very early so be sure to leave the do not disturb sign unless you want to be disturbed continually. One morning we were awoken by someone cleaning the carpet outside our room...the door was bumped by the cleaner which made sure we were awake.
Generally the hotel itself is lovely....nice pool area with hot tub and pool bar. The grill was not open so unable to comment. We took tennis equipment and were disappointed with the state of the court....not playable really and shouldn't be advertised as such (huge cracks and craters).
The cafe shop was open long hours and offered a good variety of food, including Starbucks coffee. They also offered a limited hot take out menu (the chicken wings with blue cheese were gorgeous!). We had the buffet breakfast a couple of times and have to say it was lovely. On our last day we had the character breakfast which was great. Our 12 year old really enjoyed it and got Minnie, Goofy and Pluto to Facetime her friend in the UK.They obliged!!
There were good car parking facilities at the hotel and free WIFI. The bus service to the Disney Parks was welcome (every half hour) and the location to Downtown Disney was EXCELLENT. It's just over the road which is a real plus for this hotel.
There was renovation going on to the exterior of the hotel. I hope they continue this inside. They have the customer service right but I am sorry to say and feel bad writing this (as the staff are so good - all we came across) but the room really let this hotel down.

2 Thank teecee_2009
Garth C, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear "teecee_2009":

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate what you wrote and it looks as though we need to be upping our focus to include things like better supply replenishment practices in the guest rooms. I will share your concerns with our director of housekeeping.

Thank you for your kind words about our staff. We are grateful to know that our guests know we are doing our best to make their stay pleasant and comfortable. We hope to see you again soon!

Garth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (966)
Portage, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I first stayed at this hotel 20 years ago under a different name and have been back several times. Nice location across from Downtown Disney. Large pool with an adults only area and snack bar. Starting to show its age though.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Anthony194
Dear "Anthony194":

It is a pleasure to hear good things from a long-time guest! Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor.

We have several improvement projects underway (you may have noticed a couple during your stay) and we have several more to complete. Stay with us to experience our improvements!

Again, we appreciate your loyalty to us and look forward to seeing your again!

With Gratitude,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had a wonderful time at the Buena Vista Palace Hotel. Our room was really beautiful--esp. the bathrooms, which were completely updated and spa-like with an enormous soaking tub, which was well-needed after long days at Disney! The staff was great too--super professional and friendly. We had breakfast at the cafe and Sunday morning we had breakfast with the Disney characters, which my kids enjoyed. We had to leave early to catch a flight but the staff there was super-accomodating and made sure to give us the first table that the characters went to, so the kids could get some autographs before we had to leave. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Garth C, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear "Elizabeth S":

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback on your stay at the Buena Vista Palace Hotel. Although we appreciate all reviews we receive because they help us understand how we can improve our operations, we especially enjoy receiving reviews like yours because they reinforce our belief that the work we do to provide our guests with comfort and a little pampering is appreciated.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had a 2 week stay here and thought it was lovely! Good pool/hot tub- great for 'Disneyed' feet at the end of a day!!
We noted a bit of a 'damp' smell but nothing too bad- it certainly did not affect my asthma, which can be troublesome in damp conditions. But I do like the room COLD... and prefer air con ramped up! There was a little noise at times, (screamer next door) but then again lots of families use this hotel....
We had a lovely view of the lake and beyond, though a little too high for my liking!!!!
The beds were comfy, and clean. The towels were changed frequently and we always seemed to get the big fat fluffy ones.The bath products were good too.And lovely to have a coffee machine- great for first thing.
We found the staff helpful and courteous- if you need something, they will follow it up with you to make sure it has been done. We ate here a few times and found the food and the draught beer good. It's convenient for Downtown Disney, though can't say we were thrilled with DD.
Overall- happy with stay.

Room Tip: Lake view room is a good option- lovely to watch the sun coming up. And maybe one without an adjoin...
1 Thank Scoobylou_2014
Dear "Scoobylou_2014":

The word "lovely" is a great way to describe a stay at the Palace and we are very grateful for your feedback. You had a lot of nice things to say about us and we are so glad you and your family had a nice holiday!

Thank you, too, for having patience and a sense of humor about the "screamer" you had next door. As you have undoubtedly guessed, that sort of thing can't be screened at the time the reservation is made.

We certainly appreciate you staying with us and we hope to see you again!

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Our family (wife, 5 yr, 17 month old) just spent April 19 to 23 at the Buena Vista Palace Hotel. I was slightly nervous due to a lot of negative reviews from fellow travelers on Trip Advisor. Our experience was great. The room (resort view) was clean, the beds comfortable, and the balcony provided a great view of the pool area and downtown disney. We were located away from the elevators, so we didnt hear any screaming kids or had any issues with loud noises from the adjoining rooms.

We had a rental car, but we rarely used it. The self parking is a little far but its a quick walk (5 min walk). Considering how much we walked in Disney, the walk to the parking lot isnt anything to complain about.

The area where the buses pick you up for the parks is pretty close to the breakfast area, a one min walk. I have no idea why people complain about this distance.

Downtown Disney is a 10 min walk from the hotel and that is with two small children.

Overall, the staff was great, the hotel was clean, and the amenities are as advertised. The hotel was a great experience to the family vacation.

Troy

5 Thank Troy L
Troy:

Thank you for such an amazing review of the Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa! With over a thousand rooms at our resort, it takes a lot of work to bring everything together for our guests to have a pleasant and relaxing stay. It's nice to know you and your family enjoyed our efforts.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

The room we were in had an overwhelming smell of mildew which I think came from the air con and as a result we had to turn it off (a modest improvement but still very smelly). The room was OK otherwise, except we couldn't use our balcony because it was being painted. Fair enough I guess, these things have to be done (although choosing to renovate over busy Easter hols is a bad idea, surely you would do this in the quiet season?). Our room was quiet but some rooms were next to lift lobbies and must have been dreadful. I emailed the hotel ahead of our stay to ask for a nice room because of the recent bad reviews on here. No one replied to this. I suppose we could have asked to change rooms but could easily have changed to something worse/noisy etc so we stayed put. The staff were friendly and bathroom was cleaned each day. Food in hotel was nothing special, in fact very greasy. Breakfast extortionate and on Sundays the only option is the 'Disney character buffet' which was very expensive and surely not to everyone's taste. Pool was OK.

Room Tip: If you stay here make sure to check your room before you agree to take it or unpack!
2 Thank L U
Dear "LU":

I'm sorry you weren't completely satisfied with your room. Yes, we have had a challenge with some of our rooms smelling musty--mostly due to the air conditioning being shut down which is purposely left on to circulate and dry out the air.

We encourage all guests to speak with the front desk if the room they are assigned is not to their liking. We are only too happy to find you one that is!

Garth

Travelers are raving about these Orlando hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

Please I beg of you to listen. I realize this hotel seems to get lots of good reviews... But after spending last night there, my view on the world has changed. This is the most disgusting and unclean hotel rooms I have EVER stayed in (I have stayed in the Orlando Florida location 20+ times, I am a frequent traveler). You see the pictures online and the price tag and it looks like a great deal. Also combined with all the great reviews it made me feel estatic. That all changed the second I walked into the first hotel room they put us in. After a walk across an old bridge that was falling down, and passing a pool I would not let an animal swim in, we came to a desolate building with no sign of life. The room smelled musty and old the second you opened the door. The carpet was also filthy, stained, and at least 15+years old. We then switched rooms and ended up in the tower. When we asked to switch rooms they gave us a warning that they cannot control the noise levels in the tower (a motel 6 has better service than that). Upon arriving in our new room (approximately 11:30 PM-12 AM) it had the same gross carpet and musty smell. That is just the start of our trip through hell. When I entered the bathroom to take a shower, I noticed a ball of hair on the floor, and the shower curtain was covered in mold. That was the grossest thing I have ever seen. Once in bed I noticed the sheets were damp, and the bed smelled of beer. This was the most horrible expierence of my life and I beg you all to listen and to save yourselves from this nightmare. If you are looking for a more budget friendly Disney hotel try, The Coronodo, The Port Orleans, or The All Stars. These properties are all owned by Disney, and are much cheaper than some of their other properties (but still very clean). I hope I have reached at least one person and have saved them from the nightmare I experienced last night.

• Stayed April 2014
11 Thank MattBetts
Garth C, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Reviewer:

I'm not sure of your motivation for submitting the review you wrote but I am finding it very difficult to put much credence in such feedback.

First of all, the bridge to which you referred is far from "falling down". It's constructed of reinforced pier posts that are engineered to withstand ocean force storms and last a hundred years or more. In addition the State of Florida has put in place extremely tight regulations we must follow in order to ensure our guests are safe at all times. If we fall short of those standards we run the risk of being shut down. I assure you, your trip over the foot bridge was a sure bet.

Secondly, our pools are constantly monitored and maintained by professionals who do a superior job in keeping our three pools not only clean but sanitary (remember those standards I was talking about in the previous paragraph? That goes for our pools, too.) And just so you know, we have a "No Swimming In The Pools" policy for animals and it is strictly enforced!

It sounds like something went wrong during your stay and for that I'm sorry. But you should know that every one of our employees works very hard to make our guest's stay pleasurable and relaxing. I'm sorry that wasn't the case for you.

Garth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
BEST WESTERN Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel
Windsor Palms Resort
#7 of 58 in Kissimmee
Regal Palms Resort & Spa
#2 of 13 in Davenport
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,066 reviews

Been to Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs? Share your experiences!