“Has Gone Downhill”

Ranked #211 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Has Gone Downhill”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the Buena Vista Palace. I have stayed there for a number of years and have always been happy with the experience. This time was very different. First, the staff was not as pleasant as usual and in some cases, downright uninterested in trying to be of service. Second, the food was horrible. I had my daughter with me for the trip and in the past, they offered a wide variety of kids menus in the Cafe and Room Service. Now, they offer the same disappointing, crappy kids meals that are offered everywhere in Disney. The offerings for regular meals on room services have also decreased and the food was generally terrible. This is a problem when you travel with exhausted kids and its too late to go out to eat. I complained about both the menu offerings and quality of food but the hotel expressed little concern. Third, the amenities in the room have declined - they gave me one shampoo and conditioner for the three night stay - no longer any lotion or body gel soap - just a yucky bar of facial soap for the shower. I asked for body lotion as I was sunburned and was told that the hotel no longer offers lotion. Fourth, my room was not cleaned well at all - dirty dishes and glasses were not picked up by housekeeping and the bathroomm/shower was not cleaned. I also never had my washclothes replaced, although I was given new bath towels after two nights of the three day stay. Fifth, I was in a room next to people on both sides who screamed, holloared, slammed doors and partied until 4 a.m. two of the three nights making it impossible for my daughter and I to sleep. Not sure what kind of riff/raff the hotel has been attracting. I dont know if it was just a busy weekend for the hotel but I was really disappointed at how downhill the hotel has gone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Amy43_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
Tampa
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I booked BuenaVista Palace Hotel to avoid scams and have a pleasant stay in Orlando but for my surprise and disappointment the hotel charged me a resort fee of $24.70 without any notice after having paid in full more than $140. And this was the last of a long list of disappointments with the service, the front desk personnel, the check-in and check-out long lines and waiting time, poor services (e.g.: not even shower caps in the bathroom). Net, net, I do not recommend this hotel, not even in the case they cut prices by half.

1 Thank Guillermo R

Travelers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here from 03/15-03/17. Booked blindly on hotwire for a GREAT price and was pleasantly surprised that this was the hotel selected. It was myself, my two children (3 and 2), my mother, and my uncle. Check in was great and super quick. The sweetest front desk lady I've ever met checked me and my family in. I always try to remember names for these such reviews, but I just can't recall the nice woman's name. We were booked in a king room with a pullout sofa and I asked about any rooms with two beds or the suites. The front desk lady upgraded us to an island bay view suite for no additional charge!!! We were very pleased. This is where the BUT comes in. BUT, if we had known how ATROCIOUS the parking is at this side of the hotel we would have NEVER accepted the upgrade. Parking for this area of the hotel consists of 10 handicap spots, 5 regular spots, and 30+ spots for ALAMO only cars. Having the handicap tag does NOT help in this instance as the handicap were NEVER available. And then it is a good 3 block walk to your room. This wouldn't be bad, except if after spending all day at a theme park and you have two passed out kids in tow, it can grow irritating. The room itself was nice. The beds comfy and the pillows...hotel pillows. All in all, the hotel is nice, but the layout alone will cause me to never stay again. The resort fee too, while I was aware of it, is not justified with the lack of internet service you get (it stinks) and the shuttles do run every 10 to 15 minutes. For the price of the resort fee, valet parking should be included.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank nicole1221
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just spent two nights at the Buena VIsta with my wife and my overall opinion is that this hotel is an interesting compromise between price and quality. Rates aren't very expensive, especially given its good location, close to Downtown Disney and the parks, but (and bear in mind I am a picky guest) there were some issues which can marr a stay.

Check in was relatively quick and efficient (even though the hotel is huge, with what seems hundreds of rooms) but one should generally expect to stay in line for a short while. The room seemed fairly clean, but I did find some black spots on the bed sheets (probably from ironing, but it leaves you with an uneasy impression). Bathroom was very clean and there were plenty of towels.

The king bed was comfortable and the rest of the furniture was ok. Nothing was bright new and shining, but likewise nothing seemed very old. When in a hotel, I believe one should expect the furnishings to appear somewhat used, for which one should bear a reasonable level of tolerance. This was the case here. The carpet did not have major problems, but did not appear exceptionally clean either.

Quality of sleep can be impaired but what seemed to me exceptionally thin walls. Our room was located exaclty in front of the 18th floor elevators, and we could hear its "ding" the whole night long. Conversations in the hallway were also clearly audible, as well as some of the activity in the adjacent rooms.

One last factor to notice is that parking, while included in the "resort fee" all rooms have to pay, can be a bit tricky on full nights, and once I had to drive around the lot for more than 5 minutes to find a spot (a unmarked spot over the grass, as many others had done).

However, the hotel's accessible rates may make it a good option for those with a more economic budget, if one is willing to overlook the small problems I have just described. Since we cannot use decimal points in Trip Advisor's ratings I will give this hotel 3 circles, but, as I said in the title of my review, it deserves a 3.5 grade.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TurismoRock
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had a WONDERFUL stay here. The staff is AMAZING and SOOOOOOOO friendly and helpful. Our room was beautiful with an amazing view!! We will definately stay again and HIGHLY recommend it to out of town guests!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JulieB713
Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple nights on the tail end of our stay. We came because my husband had a convention in another hotel and we moved after the convention was over. The hotel is in a great location right across from downtown Disney. Check in was quick. The room was decent and had a balcony with a with a water view. The water was murky and brownish though so the view wasn't that appealing. They have a great little quick store on the first floor for coffee, snacks and sundries. I thought the pools were average but my daughter would beg to differ - she had a great time. We had $50 resort credit so we decided to use it to eat breakfast on the property and I thought the breakfast buffet was very good. We were surprised at number of choices on the buffet and they also allow kids to eat free. The service was also excellent. All the staff we had interaction with were helpful and friendly. What I think what the hotel is lacking is attention to detail. There was little mold on the shower curtain, scratches on the furniture the balconies/exterior need to be power washed. After the first night housekeeping didn't leave wash cloths or hand towels and took the bath mat but didn't leave another. When I called to request 3 wash cloths they brought 9. These small things leave an impression. I think this hotel even markets itself as 4 star so they need nip some these issues in the bud. All in all I think this is a good value for families visiting Disney that want to be in close proximity of the parks.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TV1971
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We recently went to Orlando for a weekend and stayed at this hotel. Check in was quick, painless and easy. But most of all, the room we had was wonderful. We stayed in the tower on the 24th floor overlooking downtown disney which was beautiful, you could even see some of the nightly fireworks from the balcony. (I have read some stories here about housekeeping and we did come back to our room one night and there were no washcloths or bath mat, but we called downstairs and they had them up within minutes, other than that we didn't have any problems)

Parking can be a bit tricky as there are 900 rooms at the hotel and if it is a big weekend you could be driving around a little bit to find a space, but all in all, it did not take us longer than a few minutes (this was flower and garden festival at Epcot, spring break, and there was a cheerleading competition going on there also..)

We did the buffet breakfast down stairs in the Watercress Cafe twice, once on Saturday, and then again on Sunday. On Sunday it was a character breakfast with Minnie, Goofy and Pluto, so if you have kids you will want to think about doing this, the food was good and plentiful. The cost was $19.95 for Saturday and $24.95 for the character breakfast on Sunday (all you can eat).

There are shuttles that go back and forth to the parks during the day right from the base of the hotel (we didn't use, but did see them regularly).

A really great thing was being directly across from Downtown Disney, it gave us the ability to walk right across the street to some wonderful stores, restaurants and nighttime fun.

Check out the deals and see what you can find, but I will tell you, if you are headed that way and can find a good deal at this hotel....go for it, I don't think you will regret it!!

Room Tip: If you can get a room in the tower facing the parks or downtown at a good price grab it, you wont be...