“Annoying minuses detracted from great value, your mileage may vary”

Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs
Ranked #208 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Washington, D.C.
“Annoying minuses detracted from great value, your mileage may vary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

The downsides of this hotel on a great trip were weird and unnecessary, and the upside (very nice room, excellent location, **very reasonable price** obtained in a package via cheaptickets, cute balcony overlooking lake on cheaper room) are all important, so this is more like 3.4 stars than 3.0.

Downsides: a horribly mismanaged cafe (Water Cress) inside meant that the simple act of getting a caffeine boost in the am became stressful chaos amidst awful pastries and slow, poorly managed service. Hard to over-emphasize how much the cafe needs new management.

Also, the following are small pet peeves:
* Randomly, our do not disturb was taken out of the door (by a bratty kid nearby?),
* the light switch by the door didn't work,
* the remote was nearly run out of batteries,
* directions to navigate the Disney bus system had to be sought out rather than readily supplied,
* our room had only one soap for two people to share bw the sink and the shower,

We also had a series of bad experiences with the Disney bus system above and beyond having to navigate it ourselves. The buses are run on this route by Mears, but unclear if that was simply because the place was packed for Xmas. But, waits to get on crowded buses exceeded the 0-30, ~15 minutes on avergae we were led to expect. And, eg, having misinformation reach the back of the bus about what hotel we were stopping at (it was ours, but we were told it was the best western) at midnight was among several indications that the bus system was collapsing. Not a small thing on a trip to Disney, and something to take into account when using Buena Vista Palacxe as a base for attending the resorts.

But on the other side, a large room with a nice view (and we had one of the cheapest rooms--lakeside view), great bed, close walk (if you go under covered walkway) to downtown disney (although the intersection should be controlled for pedestrians, fault for which lies with car-centric Florida politicians).

The common spaces in the building are nice, the gym and pool a bit dated but we didn't use either.

Overall--the pluses are more important than the minuses and are more likely to recur for you, but i feel like giving 4 stars would take away from the accumulation of unforced errors.

Room Tip: the cheaper "lake view" rooms come with a balcony and there is no need for any more expens...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank j1570176

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (966)
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have been coming to this hotel for over 15 years, and it is certainly losing its luster. While the service is good and the location excellent, the rooms and amenities leave a lot to be desired. No corkscrews or wine glasses available? No bottle opener? Only paper coffee cups in the rooms? Ducks swimming in the pool? Cigar and cigaret butts on the balcony? Really! These are just unacceptable in a quality hotel. It is disappointing to say the least.

Room Tip: Fireworks view rooms are in the shade and have noise from the AC equipment.
3 Thank trueblueinny

Travelers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Long Island, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here as a family for a short trip to Disney. The hotel was "fine" if you are just using it to sleep,like we did. If you want a really nice place to also relax when you're exhausted from running around Disney, this is not the place.

I'll start with the negative:
---we asked for a room with a resort view. We got a room with the view of a dumpster. When I called to get this fixed, I was told, that IS a resort view. Anything that isn't a view of downtown Disney is considered a resort view. Fine.
---we ate at the new restaurant Avu Avu. Our waiter seemed like he was annoyed we weren't drinking. Service was just okay, but it was the opening night, so I'll cut them some slack.
---the buses to Disney are convenient but there is no order at all. We were here during busy season and people just crowded around as the buses pulled up and pushed their way on, sometimes with no regard to the little kids. Also, the buses coming home stop at three hotels, ours being the last, so it took a while to get back. It was fine, but not ideal.
---the rooms are okay. A bit small for a family of 4, but again, if you were just sleeping and showering there, it was fine.
---the wifi, while "free", is slow

Positive:
---the staff was very nice and helpful.
---the beds were comfy, which was great since we collapsed in exhaustion every night
---you can walk to Downtown Disney as its right across the street
---the breakfast buffet is a good deal if your kids eat free. We did the character breakfast on Sunday and the kids loved meeting Minnie, Pluto and Goofy
---the buses are convenient, better than driving, but see what I had to say above.

All in all. We had a nice time, but I don't think I would stay here again. ID rather pay a little more for a nicer hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tillieny
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Sorry not very impressed by the hotel. Room was smelly but opening balcony doors helped. Bed was comfortable, no bath only shower and surprisingly no shower gel was supplied. Wardrobe space pathetic. Hardly any plugs either. Downstairs lobby and lounge area was nice. Pool area looked okay but extremely crowded. Did not eat in restaurant so cannot comment as to the standard of food. Its a very popular hotel with convention people but I would not go back, shame as its so handy for the I4 and downtown Disney. Plenty of parking space which was good and free!

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms by the pool are better. Downtown rooms you can see the fireworks every night at Dis...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GMDLondon
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for six nights in order to visit family and Disney World. Costco Travel had a package that seemed reasonably priced (it basically threw in the resort fee). I had read reviews and was aware of the tradeoffs that this hotel presented, but felt we had to give it a shot. In retrospect, I think we should have spent more for to stay in the parks, or simply stayed at a nicer hotel outside the parks.

Let's start with the good:
-The staff is friendly and helpful. The concierge desk can also arrange transportation to the airport by Mears.
-Valet parking is available, and I didn't think the walk to the parking lot was as bad as others on here think it is. Even though it was in the low 40s outside, and very windy, the walk was not bad. I might feel differently if it had been raining.
-There is sort of scavenger hunt game around the hotel grounds that kids might enjoy (our 9-year-old daughter did). It is useful for figuring out where everything is, too.
-Buses leave every 30 minutes for the Disney Parks. During our stay, they were never more than 10 minutes late.
-The beds are softer than average hotel beds. I would not call them soft in absolute terms, but given that most hotel beds are like sleeping on wooden planks, this was a huge improvement.
-The hot tub is hot, even in winter.
-Downtown Disney is a short walk away (if you're in shape--I can imagine that the obese, elderly, or those with disabilities might not find it walkable).
-The room felt modern.
-Unlike what others have said, our balcony was not dirty.
-The laundry facilities are fine.

The bad:
-What everyone says about noise is true. The room we stayed in (on the 11th floor) had a door connecting it to the adjacent room. Both doors were closed. The first two nights no one was staying next to us, but the third night a family moved in next door. At 2:00 in the morning they started watching TV, and we could hear it quite clearly. The next night there was an argument that I thought might come to blows; our 9-year-old was upset by this. The doors and walls provided almost no acoustic insulation at all. We should have asked to move, but after a long day at Disney we were just too tired to pack and unpack everything. The family continued making noise for the next three nights.
-The Watercress Cafe is not worth it. $20 for the hot bar, or $10 for the continental (read: cold) breakfast. The food is not good enough to justify either option. It's true that up to two children eat free, but only if an adult buys a full-priced meal (and the wait staff tried twice to charge me for a full hot meal when I only got the continental). I suppose if you have two kids this might be reasonable, but after our stay here we went to West Palm and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. For a similar price per night we got free breakfast for everyone. The room was bigger, too.
-The pools, which are supposedly heated, were unusable during our December visit. Our daughter was very disappointed.
-There was an air vent for the HVAC that looked like it needed to be replaced--moldy or dirty, it's hard to say. They probably should just remove them, pressure wash them, and paint them periodically.
-The buses to the parks are often too crowded.
-There was some mold in the caulking around the tub. It's hard to knock them much for this, though. This is hard to avoid.
-Wifi was not terribly fast, and we had to constantly re-enter the password on our devices.
-There were not many accessible power outlets in the rooms.
-Our room keys stopped working twice. The second time there was a huge line at the front desk and we had to wait quite a while for a very simple fix.
-A family member sent a gift to our daughter and asked the concierge that it be delivered to our room. She told us about it in case something went wrong. When the package did not appear, I went to ask the concierge. Sure enough, it had arrived yesterday, but it had not been delivered to our room (he said he had no record that it was supposed to go to the room) and they had not even notified us of its arrival.
-The phone in the hotel room did not work. Even worse, the message light on it blinked constantly (probably the standard "welcome to the hotel" message). We ended up unplugging the phone every night (and the cleaning staff would plug it back in).

Overall, I did not feel that this hotel was up to the standards I expect of Costco, and I intend to tell them this. When I buy something from Costco--whether it's goods, services, or travel, I expect high quality. This was a mix of fairly good and pretty bad. If we go to Disney again, we'll either stay somewhere really cheap, or pay a bit more to avoid these problems.

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms in the upper floors are less used and in better shape. I've heard that the...
1 Thank mhammoc
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I googled beforehand what hotels were in walking distance of Downtown Disney. We live in JAX and like to go down frequently to Orlando area for the night and hit up parks we have passes for. We don't have Disney passes yet (when my granddaughter is a bit older will do that splurge) but we figure Downtown Disney would be beautifully decorated (which actually it was only so-so, SeaWorld however was beautifully done!). We upgraded our room for a Disney View room which I was somehow under the impression you could see the parks in the distance, but it was only for a view of the Downtown Disney. By looking at the map, we figured the parks were off in the distance on the opposite side. So be careful of what Disney View you ask for.

As this hotel is now and official Disney hotel, I expected a little more from it. Not just a Disney store located on the lower level.
Hotel was OK. Room was nice. Clean. Plenty of room and nicely appointed. Balcony was tiny, my daughter, granddaughter and I barely could be out there together. But it was nice enough. Lobby areas were open and roomy.

Parking was a bit of a pain. I chose to do Valet as I have a knee replacement and had my granddaughter with us. I was told even the handicap parking spots were a bit of a hike. I don't know this to be true as I just choose to use the Valet, but I had read reviews that the regular guest parking was almost a 10 minute walk up stairs to the hotel, but again as I used the Valet I am not sure.

Hotel was immediately opposite from far end of Downtown Disney but staff encouraged us to take shuttle bus, so we figured why not. After waiting 15 minutes past the arrival time of the shuttle we decided just to walk. We crossed where we weren't supposed to as otherwise we would have had to go all the way to corner to double back on other side. Seemed dumb. It was about 5 or 6 pm, on Dec 1 and there were basically no cars or buses at all, so we just Jay-walked across.

When looking at a map it appears the Wyndham Lakes hotel would be a further walk but it actually is right on the corner where you would legally cross so I think would be better if trying to walk to downtown Disney.

Room Tip: if you do a Disney View room make sure you ask which Disney View you are getting. Downtown or the p...
1 Thank D2559
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We came here on the 21st December for 9 nights (2 adults and 2 children aged 5 and 8) we came with half empty suitcases hoping to do some shopping however with only one wardrobe and three drawers between the four of us we have struggled to say the least, we have not travelled excessively however this hotel would be good if staying for 2/3 night s no longer as they just do not have the facilities in the room to accommodate you! Housekeeping only left us three bath towels on one day between the four of us with no bath mats, face clothes or hand towels! We did ask to pay extra to upgrade our room to something larger but was told hotel was full. Location is good and thats about it.we went in the new avu avu restaurant on site but to be honest after you have been once you definitely would not go again as they have the same set menu every night, the rooms are quite small and the balconies are a joke with two small chairs and a minute table the four of us could not sit outside on the balcony! We struggled with two. For what we paid with Virgin Holidays we feel a bit ripped off and would definitely book direct next time but not at this place. Also none of the rooms have tea making facilities only a coffee perculator! If you don't like coffee you are pretty stuck really and have to go down to the first floor to the cafe for a drink which was a pain.

Room Tip: Book the Wyndham next door it's cheaper!
1 Thank Costababy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
BEST WESTERN Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel
Windsor Palms Resort
#7 of 58 in Kissimmee
Regal Palms Resort & Spa
#2 of 13 in Davenport
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,066 reviews

Been to Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs? Share your experiences!