“A bit of paradise in the middle of "tourist land"”

Villas of Grand Cypress
Ranked #1 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We live in Orlando and love to play golf and enjoy the great dining on the other side of town. We have been going to the Villas for years to play golf and dine. The rooms are wonderful and the service the BEST!!! We highly recommend this beautiful retreat.

Room Tip: We always stay in the Villas now because we love the extra room and are golfers.
2  Thank FlashOrlando
JYost_DOR, Manager at Villas of Grand Cypress, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

We love our staycationers! What a great local travel tip for Orlando residents: why “go away” when you can “come away” and have a great weekend retreat right in your own backyard? See you soon!

There are newer reviews for Villas of Grand Cypress

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We've stayed at the Villas a number of times over the years and keep coming back for more. It's a lovely place, quiet but near all the "action" of Disney world, minutes to the craziness of Interstate 4 and International Drive in Orlando. It's family-friendly but not overloaded with kids the way most hotels in the area are. It's a Hyatt property, and you can use the amenities at the Hyatt Regency two miles down the road (call the front desk for shuttle service between the properties).

It's a golf resort, but there's other stuff to do. Can rent bicycles and cycle the cart paths. Nice casual dining room, especially for breakfast. We had a "king club suite" the last time, so no kitchen, but the one-bedrooms and up have kitchens. A super find in central Florida!

Not an inexpensive place, but the rooms, people, service, etc. are all outstanding and well worth the price!

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms have a nice view but, there isn't a bad room in the place. If you're staying...
2  Thank BalletGal2013

Like you, we love being right near all the Orlando action but remaining peaceful and relaxing on our property. While we are independently owned, we do share amenities and the Grand Cypress Resort grounds with the nearby Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. I can’t wait for your trips “over the years” to turn into many trips to come!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I purchased a 2 day "stay and play" package for my wife and I for Friday April 4th and Saturday April 5th. We teed of at 3:20 on Friday and quit at 6:00 pm after only 9 holes. I asked the pro shop if I could play the other 9 on Sunday before I checked out (hoping the slow paly was an exception) and they said fine (but no apology). On Saturday we teed off at 11:00 and finished 5 and 1/2 hours later. The overall property is beautiful. Generally, the staff was very nice. But, golf that takes that long to play is ridiculous. We never saw a ranger and the food/drink cart came by once (on number 9). Since we were starving we ordered sandwiches and they only had 1 left. Never saw the drink/food cart again. Since the back nine took another 2 hours and 45 minutes, that's a long time without some kind of sustenance! We skipped the 9 holes on Sunday for fear it would take another 2:45 minutes. I asked for a golf credit for a future stay, but was denied. So, my grade of "poor" is based on the slow play of the golf course and the seeming indifference to it by the golf staff.

Room Tip: Most, if not all, of the rooms are located with golf views. very nice.
4  Thank tom p
JYost_DOR, General Manager at Villas of Grand Cypress, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

I apologize again for the slow pace of play you experienced while with us, but I am glad that we were able to speak personally and better understand and resolve your situation. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your next stay with us. –M. Cox, General Manager

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We just returned from a week at the Grand Cypress Villas. We went to relax and play golf and it was great on all counts. We stayed in a one bedroom villa which was very comfortable. The limited closet and drawer space was our only complaint. The king bedroom units are suitable for one couple and perhaps a few children, definately not 2 couples since the only bathroom is in the master bath. Everything in the units is new, and the kitchen was well stocked. It was great to see that the $22 resort fee actually was worth it. It covered bike use, daily paper, and use of the driving range and the excellent practice facility which had 3 practice holes to play. The 45 holes of golf were great, and the staff couldn't have been nicer. There are 2 restaurants on site, one casual and one nicer. The grounds are serene and well manicured. We plan to return!

2  Thank Diane F

I’m so happy that you enjoyed your Orlando golf retreat here at the Villas of Grand Cypress! With a One-Bedroom Villa, two great restaurants, three practice holes to use, and forty-five holes of Jack-Nicklaus Signature Designed Golf, I’d say all the right numbers were played for a great stay!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We wanted lodging for ourselves and our two sons and their very young families. The villa we rented seemed like it would be far superior to hotel rooms and our expectations were in all respects met or exceeded. We had group space, roomy private spaces, a kitchen for convenience and inexpensive meals and a convenient, attractive pool. Anything we needed (grill, charcoal, cooler, etc.), the staff rushed to us. The Villas are a quiet, attractive, first-class facility. The staff was friendly and the maid service was thorough. We appreciated having access to the magnificent Hyatt Grand Cypress property. We will definitely stay at the Villas again when we return to Orlando.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Rick T

I greatly enjoy reading that your expectations were both met and exceeded here at the Villas. As you mentioned, our multi-bedroom units are perfect for multiple families traveling together (or just really big families), with an abundance of both common space and private space in each Two-, Three-, and Four-Bedroom Villa. We are so excited to welcome you and the rest of the gang back to Orlando soon!

Reviewed April 10, 2014

What follows is my original review, reposted, with an addendum based on follow up by the Gen Mgr.

“What a disappointment!”
Based on reviews here I thought this would be the perfect place to relax with my mom for a weekend in Orlando before leaving her at a seminar. I had made the reservation directly with the resort a few months in advance and indicated that my mom was a senior with limited mobility. They clearly got the request because the woman at the desk exclaimed, "She is not 85!" as we walked in. (She does look much younger.) So I was a bit astonished when we were led to our villa by staff in a golf cart and found ourselves staring at steep exterior stairs. "The second floor is okay, right" we were asked. "Actually, no," I replied. A fast radio communication to the desk confirmed that the resort was fully booked and there was nothing else. We were told we'd be contacted in the morning with options. (Never heard another thing about it.) Tired, we climbed the steps and were given a tour of our pretty unimpressive room (not any more luxurious than the last Hampton Inn I was in where the bed was definitely more comfortable). I asked if there was a 7/11 nearby as I was heading out for whole milk for my morning in-room coffee. I was assured that no excursion was needed and that Room Service would deliver it right away. Room Service never showed. I gave up and went to sleep.

Hopeful that the next day would reset the spirt of the weekend, we drove to the Club House for breakfast. I asked for a cappuccino and was told the machine was broken. Although barely half full, we waited quite a while for menus, then for the chance to place our order, then nothing. 50 minutes after we'd sat down we asked after our breakfast. The hostess checked with the kitchen and assured us "Soon." Five minutes later, our server came out to inform us that there had been a mix up and that our breakfast had been picked up by another server and delivered to another table--the chef was starting over with our order. More than an hour after sitting down, we finally had breakfast. The manager came over to apologize and offered to comp our breakfast but since it was included in our weekend package, that was not much compensation.

The resort is very pretty but in the end we should have gone to the Hampton Inn for a fraction of the cost—we would have been more comfortable and enjoyed much better service. To make things worse, most of what we wanted to do was north of Orlando and Villas is southwest—the location didn't work for us at all.

ADDENDUM:
The General Manager tracked down my phone number and called after reading the review, apologized, emphasized that this was extremely unusual, and refunded part of the cost of our stay. I was impressed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
12  Thank laviajeraliz

It was a pleasure personally speaking with you and I’m glad we were able to resolve the situation. We look forward to your return visit next year. -M. Cox, General Manager

Reviewed April 8, 2014

We have just returned after staying for a fortnight. I can not say anything bad about this place everything was perfect. Our one bedroom villa exceeded our expectations it was spacious and clean. The maids did a fantastic job cleaning up after our two year old everyday. All the staff were friendly and helpful. The pool area was peaceful, relaxing and clean. We returned from the theme parks one day to find a Minnie and a Micky teddy with a letter to our daughter which said sorry we missed you at our autograph signing but here a gift from us. These touches make this place special it is hard to believe it is the perfect location to all the parks but seems so far away. We have heard they are extending to build another 200 villas which I feel would be a shame as it is so personal and perfect. If I was returning to orlando I would always stay here.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank phillippa T
JYost_DOR, Manager at Villas of Grand Cypress, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

I’m so glad Mickey and Minnie caught up with your daughter while you were in Orlando! I’m excited for all the perfect fortnights we have together in the future!