“Less than expected for Doubletree”

Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld
Ranked #135 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I did get this hotel at a deeply discounted rate but was surprised that it had the Doubletree name. My particular room had an outside entrance and was a 2 story building. They have a high rise building as well on the property that seemed more luxurious. My room felt more like a 2 star hotel room with a nice bed and TV. I did kill a large 2" roach in the room near my last day and the carpet looked like it needed to be cleaned. They did charge for parkign - $8 a day plus tax for self parking.

The thing that ticked me off the most was the exhorbitant fees they charge for some things. They charge $10 per package to receve a package for you at the front desk. Internet service in the room is also $10-$15 a day, but I expected that from Doubletree. They also had some of the most aggressive bellmen I have ever seen. Even after telling them "I got it" several times, they take your bags or boxes anyway, ignoring what you say in order to milk the tips. I found this very irritating.

Would I go back? No, I would look elsewhere. If I am going to be in a 2-story external entry hotel room, there are many choices without the hassles of paid parking, exhorbitant fees and over-aggressive bellmen.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Doubtletree_Orlando, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2010

We’re sorry that we were not a match with your expectations of Doubletree Resort Orlando. While it is always disappointing when a guest leaves the hotel and feels they did not receive a good value for their budget or experienced poor service, we are always grateful for the feedback so that we may address the issue with our managers. Thank you for sharing your comments.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,271)

Reviewed August 3, 2010

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the Doubletree for 2 weeks in July 2010. On arrival I was a bit worried as the rooms are all in blocks but I soon realised the rooms were nice. The hotels 3 swimming pools are really nice especially the main one by the bar. Word of warning do NOT eat in the hotel restaurant. I ordered a 'chicken sandwich' and I was given what looked like gone off chicken and we just left all the food there untouched. Also the staff were very unfriendly at the restaurant. There is a place called The Village Inn across the road which is nice for breakfast. Pizza hut is at the hotel also.
The hotel take $50 per night as a deposit and is fully refunded at the end of your stay either in cash or is held on your credit card. I only found out a week before my stay and think this should be advertised more as it is a lot of money.
Good location, the I-Ride stops right outside but I would def rent a car next time as the IRide gets very busy in the evening as it is so near to Seaworld. This resulted in us getting taxis.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LoLaIreland

We’re glad that your worry about the room was quickly pushed aside after you saw them. Your review was sent to the restaurant managers to further discuss the situations you mentioned. We do encourage our guests to contact management if there is an issue so that it can be resolved immediately. It’s always best to check our website for further information regarding costs or any fees that may apply. Thank you for sharing your comments and thoughts on your stay at Doubletree Resort Orlando.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel using my Hilton Honors points. First, this is not entirely a hotel. Most of the property is a motel like experience where you enter the rooms directly from the parking lot and not via a hall way.I was in building 11 and facing our room was sort of an alley way that appears to have had water running between the buildings. It had a horrible New York City alley way smell to it. With a 97 plus degree wether in Orlando, this was not a pleasurable smell to awake to. The pictures on the Hilton website do not show anything then the other than the main tower in the "tour our hotel" section. That's very misleading, VERY. Most of the rooms are so far from the lobby that you probably will never see it again was you check in. The rooms are newley remolded and looked okay. But don't be fooled, this a decades old property that looks completely worn from the streets. With all the really nice Hilton properties in the area, I am surprised they put their name on this place.

The customer service at the Hilton Honors desk was rude. They sent me an email prior to my arrival asking me for information concerning my stay. I replied but no one ever got back to me. When I arrived they could have cared less if I was a Hilton Honors Silver VIP member. The next day I checked into the Hilton Parc Soleil and they treated me like royalty.

The air barely worked in the room and my family felt like we slept in a sauna. I couldn't get away from this place fast enough. The parking lot is vast and parking is terrible. They have the nerve to charge to for it. Getting to your room at night is a safety risk because there are so many dark corners especially if you have to climb stairs. Also the internet is only free in the lobby and other public areas, not in your room! That's crazy because the lobby is minutes away from the majority of the rooms. Not a good property. I will never stay again.

1  Thank lvt0travel

We are sorry to learn that your experience did not match your expectations. It is always disappointing to learn when a guest leaves here unsatisfied with their stay. On our Doubletree Resort Orlando website, there are many current photos of the resort, rooms and lobby with detail descriptions of each as we recently went through a $35 million dollar makeover. Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

OK. So here the scoop in a nutshell. My husband and I stayed here on a reservation made thru priceline.com (first time I had done that!) Checked 3 1/2 stars and $60.00 as amount; got this hotel for a total of $75.00. Very thrilled. When we arrived they were very speedy with our reservation - even got a free fridge (they would ahve charged $20 extra) except I had medication that had to be refrigerated (which I am glad I mentioned) Was not expecting $8 parking fee - but that's ok. The EXCEPTIONAL PART about this whole reservation was that we did NOT have to pay $13 parking fee for Aquatica (Sea World water park) as girl at front desk told us to park in front of building #13 and WALK over to entrance. I-Ride tram will take you on a mapped route for $1,25 each way - but the park was within EASY walking distance.

Another tip - go to park so that you can eat lunch AND dinner for only $20 per adult (children cheaper!) TIP: Take a large water bottle, etc. because at the "all you can eat" banana . . .cookout. . .you CAN take beverages out of the enclosed area. You will be thirsty there all day!

Doubletree was a bargain and I would recommend it to anyone (along w/recommending priceline.com!) You even get freshly baked LARGE cookied for free on check in. Check out was easy - just drive out! The only fault why I didn't give 5 stars - you need to be careful at this hotel - they CHARGE for EVERYTHING - BE SURE AND ASK FIRST BEFORE MAKING A MOVE!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the complimentary review. We’re glad that you were able to have a reasonably priced vacation here at Doubletree Resort Orlando. It is always best to check our website for any fees that may apply as we, unfortunately, are unable to fully control how the fee information is conveyed on other travel sites. We appreciate your recommendation.

Reviewed July 31, 2010

*Staff was great. They let us check in early and we did NOT have to go to desk to sign out.
*Only warning ~ Do not run 2 hairdryers at once! We blew a fuse which they reset in minutes. That can happen anywhere.
* We did not have to pay for parking - we got a room key @ check in, just swipe to enter and exit the lot, drop keys in box at gate at the end of your stay. No problem.
*Within walking distance thru a 'Gate to Seaworld'! Very cool!
*Several buildings on property. Towers in the center rear, Lobby in the center front and 2 seperate hotel/wings on the right and left ends of the property.
* 3 seperate pools - one for each 'wing' - very cool.
*Walk the path and see many gathering areas - childrens and adults activities areas - Hammocks - even a fire pit for smores and drinks at night - very cool!
*The right and left wings are older, but clean. Beds are comfortable, bedding is nice.
*Tower seemed to be much newer or renovated, as did the lobby. I would stay in the tower next time.
*Right and Left wings could use a renovation - but then it may not be as affordable. It's ok.
*There was plenty of parking - no problem.
*May not be suitable for people with money to burn or those who are looking for luxury. *But for a average family, who wants a decent, affordable, centrally located, place in Orlando, this is a good choice.

1  Thank RelocatedMichigander

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us at Doubletree Resort Orlando. You’re right – we recently went through a $35 million dollar makeover throughout the property. Thank you for the great recommendation, we appreciate you taking the time to write your thoughts!

Reviewed July 30, 2010

First time in the USA. After travelling for over 17 hours in all we arrived at the most stunning hotel on the I-drive ! To our body clocks it was 3am in the morning when we arrived & we were on our last legs, tired & hungry. Check in was quick & the receptionist was so helpful. The free cookie on arrival told us we were in for a great stay - & so we were. Staff were fantastic, room service was delicious, room cleanliness were kept to the highest of standards & personalization was A*, even my sons 'teddy bear' was given special treatment, each day we would find him in a different position in or on the bed - To a child this means more than the world :) Pool opens at 6am & after the jet lag (all week!) this was a great way to start the mornings early with no one else around. Ate at the on-site restaurant every morning, buffet was the best my family & I have ever come across. Waiters/waitresses could not have been more helpful or caring. I requested a small cake for my sons 10th birthday (May 31st) & was dealt with by management, wonderful lady. The cake arrived & it was more than we had ever expected,my son was treated like royalty all week & in turn he gave them all a slice of his cake !! Things for children to do on-site, beautiful grounds, transfers to all Disney parks hassle free, just the most amazing hotel you could ask for. Once you have been you wont want to leave !

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

It is always wonderful to read such a great review from our overseas guests! A Happy 10th Birthday to your son, we’re glad we could help make it special for him and give his teddy bear some special care, too! We hope you and your family will visit the Doubletree Resort Orlando on a 2nd visit to the US! Thank you for you for sharing your comments.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

Read the reviews of this hotel and decided it sounded nice so we booked our 7 day vacation here. We went with the Getaway pkg which includes breakfast. We were blown away by many things at this hotel.

The breakfast buffet is amazing. So much food that we hardly had to eat lunch and with the theme park pricing on food, that is a huge savings. The food was great, and the servers are all so wonderful, happy and friendly. We had a different server every morning and they were all the same way. Everyone that works here is so friendly and willing to help you with whatever you need.

The rooms were very clean, bathrooms too. You have an option of having them change your sheets every day or just make the bed for you and "go green" . Same with the towels. Room was always clean and ready when we arrived back at the hotel from whatever we were doing.
We stayed in the tower section ofthe resort, so I don't know what the other rooms were like, but ours was a double queen with plenty of room for the 4 of us. There is also a balcony on the second floor of the tower, that overlooks the pool area. One night we ordered a pizza from Flippers across the street, picked up some sodas and beer and sat out here for dinner under the stars. Very relaxing.

Pools are great, there are 3 of them which is nice because you won't get bored and they are open until midnight. There are no slides, but the kids had fun in the main pool with the waterfall. Then we'd go to the next pool which is 8 feet deep on one end for great diving and the 3rd pool which has little fountains squirting water into the pool and a hot tub. The main pool has a bar, but all 3 pools have music. Never had a problem getting pool towels, always plenty of them.

Parking is $8 a day, which is cheap compared to some other hotels. In/out access is easy and we never had trouble fnding a spot.
Renting a car is the way to go instead of the I=Ride trolley. We hardly saw the trolley and one time we drove to Walgreens to get snacks and drinks for the room (gone for about 35 minutes) the people we saw at the trolley stop were still waiting! (In the heat of the July sun too) Bonus - you can walk to Sea World.

There is a deli/pizza hut express on site and although the prices are a bit high (medium cheese pizza $12) it is convenient as a last resort and they are open until midnight.

Overall, we thought this was a great hotel and would stay here again!

2  Thank zimmy96

We strive to offer each guest excellent service, as our goal is to ensure your stay is exactly what you want it to be. So you can imagine how it thrilled us to read in your complimentary review that we were more than you expected! Your thoughts and comments are truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you again at Doubletree Resort Orlando!