“Good Base For Visiting Theme Parks”

Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld
Ranked #135 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed July 12, 2009

In summary we had a great stay here and in my opinion this is a good hotel which I would use again and recommend to others. If you want to know some more please read on.

Check In: The process itself was quick and efficient. As we had booked a basic room they offered an upgrade for $10 a night to a room with a microwave and fridge. We declined this and they said that if we did want an upgrade at any point in our stay to just contact reception. The check in staff then sent us to their 'entertainment co-ordinator'. We chatted with him and he said he could get us cheap tickets for theme parks and then quoted us a price (which was significantly cheaper than any other prices we had seen). We said "yes" and he then said we would have to go and see him the next day at a time-share resort and have a tour for the morning. I told him we were not interested in a time-share (we did not want to waste part of our holiday listening to a sales pitch). I would therefore recommend giving this a miss unless you are interested in a time-share or you are willing to go and spend a morning/day listening to a salesman to try and get cheap tickets. This soured our first impressions of the hotel and we could have done without it after a long flight (incidentally they do have a proper ticket seller at another desk).

Hotel Room: We were given a room in Block 5 which faced outwards looking over the car park. Parking during our stay was free and there were always spaces. However, the view of the car park was not great especially as they had large storage containers in it. The room itself was large with two double beds, there was also a desk and two chairs. The room was clean and well presented and overall very nice. The room also had a flat screen tv with about ten channels and pay per view movies. Strangely there were no ceiling lights in the room, just lamps, however when the lamps were on the light provided was sufficient. As others have said the bathrooms are on the small side.

Swimming Pools: There are three swimming pools and none of them are as large as the brochure pictures suggest. The pools and surrounding areas were clean and during our stay there were no life guards.

Location: It's a ten minute walk to SeaWorld and once there there is a free bus to Aquatica. We had a car and the hotel was a 10-15 minute drive to Universal and 20-25 minutes to the Disney parks. The area surrounding the hotel does not have many restaurants or shops within walking distance. Across the road there was a Chinese restaurant next to the Spa, a Village Inn, an Italian restaurant, a Subway and a petrol station with a couple of shops. We walked a bit futher afield and near the Convention Centre there were a few more restaurants and a shop (20 minute walk). We also walked to Pointe Orlando (complex of shops, restaurants and a cinema) which took a good 40 minutes each way. We therefore used the car to travel every day and did note there were always people waiting at the bus-stop outside the hotel for the i-ride.

We did not use any of the other hotel facilities. We used the hotel as a base for visiting the theme parks and we were very pleased we chose this hotel.

2  Thank kidmoan
Write a ReviewReviews (7,272)

Reviewed July 11, 2009

Stayed 5 days with my spouse and 7yr daughter, the hotel itself was pretty nice and the staff not perfect but was friendly. The location was great to get to SeaWorld and Aquatica(save money park the car and walk).

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I wasn't going to write a review but when I checked the most recent reviews and read the negativity I felt I had to stand up for the Hotel. We stayed in the hotel for 2 weeks from 14th to 28th June. We were offered an upgrade for $140 (1/2 normal price) which meant we had a fridge and microwave and coffee making facilities in the room. We were happy to pay this. I loved the hotel. The staff were really lovely. No matter who you met - they always said hallo or have a nice day etc. The room was lovely and spacious. We bought our own cereals and plastic cutlery and plastic plates and had breakfast in our room. The bathroom was very small - but it didn't ruin our holiday!!! The restaurant was nice but a bit pricey but when you are in Florida you explore different restaurants or eat at theme parks so again it didn't take from our holiday. They had laundry facilities which I was so delighted with. It meant I didn't have to go looking for a launderette. I didn't mind paying the $2.25 for a wash and $2.50 for dryer. It was the convenience of it that was great plus a good way to use up all your quarters!!!! I would definitely consider coming back to the hotel again without hesitation.
Our room was facing the main pool in the hotel. Late at night (11:30pm etc) it was quite noisy as lots of parents had their children in swimming as it is just too hot during the day to have little ones out. So I would maybe choose a building that was a little off the pool but still nearby as it's more central. If anyone has any questions I am happy to answer them. I loved the hotel and don't understand the bad reviews.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank NicolaHIreland
Reviewed July 8, 2009

We stayed at this hotel from 17th June until 1st of July... From the moment we walked into the reception I just knew we had chosen the right place!!! The staff were very friendly checking us in and we were located in the tower room..

The room was lovely and the beds very comfortable..

The main pool area was really nice with towels provided and a very nice pool bar with friendly staff and reasonably priced drinks..

I used one of other areas on the east side and this was great too..

The wireless internet was charged at 9.99 per 24hrs which we did know before we travelled, internet usage in general is both more expensive and less widely available in Orlando than here in Dublin so this did not seem too bad..

There is also a business area where you can spend $5 and use the internet & printing services..

There are regular shuttles to parks and the hotel is in a perfect location for Lynx buses to the parks as the bus to disney ONLY stops outside and at Seaworld and no where elso on international drive before heading towards Disney..

The restaurant was the only thing we had a problem with as we went in one evening and explained that we were not very hungry but would like some chips and pasta.. The waitress came over about 6times to say sorry about the delay for our food but also asked each time if she could order anything extra for us!! When we paid the bill it took about 10mins to get change!! However I do think we were just unlucky as many other guests loved the restaurant.. We did complain to the manager and were given 2 free breakfast buffets!! This was great!! The buffet is charged at $16 each which is very expensive but for those who have it included it was very nice indeed! There is a huge selection to choose from and you can order the likes of Ommlettes as well!!

Overall we loved the hotel the grounds are very very beautiful and the staff were great..

We will be coming back and staying here

1  Thank dancinggirl88
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I did much research about this hotel and was a bit worried about some negative reviews. However, we found NOTHING negative about the International Plaza Resort and Spa! For the price, they offer SO much: great proximity to all of the parks and attractions (including walking distance to Sea World and Aquatica), free shuttle service to the major parks, a cheap-to-ride trolley that covers all of International Drive (I-Drive is full of shopping areas, restaurants, malls, etc.), a wonderful spa, a great fitness center, THREE pools including one for each hotel section, and a wonderful restaurant with a delicious breakfast buffet or an adjacent deli that offers pizza, sandwiches, bagels, fruit, ice cream, drinks, coffee, etc. Additionally, this hotel is right across the street from a family restaurant and a small strip mall with a convenience store and gas station, a souvenir store, and a great pizza and pasta place. Our rooms were clean and beautiful. The beds were luxurious and comfortable. There wasn't ONE problem with our room or the housekeeping schedule. I would have liked to have a refrigerator but the ice service was only steps away from the room. There is an in-room safe, a hair dryer, iron, HBO, wireless service, EVERYTHING you might need! There were NO surprise or extra charges. The grounds are beautifully maintained. The front office staff was friendly and helpful. Again, for around $90/night (discounted for early booking on a travel website), I don't see how we could have done any better. We will DEFINITELY stay here again when we visit Orlando!

2  Thank Bettsi
Reviewed July 6, 2009

We were attending a church convention and needed a room for a couple of nights. The room was very large, clean and comfortable. We had to explore the grounds with the kids to see all of the beautiful landscaping (palm trees and flowers everywhere), see the 3 pools (one with a waterfall and live music), and miniature golf. I enjoyed the hammocks in the shade.

The resort was a little far to be walking distance to the convention center, but our convention ran shuttles. Sea World is easily within walking distance. They have a card entry gate at a corner of the property that leads to the entrance. (I walked over one evening just to watch the fireworks.)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank columbus_phil
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I CANNOT believe what the previous reviewer has said, I must have been at a different hotel !!!! This is a 3 Star Hotel and as such far exceeds standards of any other 3 star hotel I have stayed in. It deserves to be a 4 star for sure I have stayed in 5 star hotels in Malta and Egypt and the Lobby and Grounds/Landscaping/Fountains and general ambience are as good as these The beds are gorgous with sumptuous pillows and CLEAN SHEETS EVERY DAY !!! The beds were made beautifully each day and were a joy to get into, room was clean and did NOT smell funny at all I was in Block 7 with a pool view and was very pleased, we did have to wait a couple of days for a fridge but everyone we spoke to DID get a fridge within a couple of days You can fill your bin up with ice from the ice machines which are every where or get a cheap cooler from Publix Walgreens or Target for a few dollars ? This will be fine for a couple of days I got a bargain with Alpharooms uk £600 for 14 nights and the rate included Breakfast every day which was Gorgeous and very posh with everything you could want, this alone would have cost $15.95 Each every day which was almost half of the total cost we paid for the whole stay !!!! Yes of course it is expensive to buy meals from the hotel or from ANY hotel this is where they make their money !!but everyone knows that surely? Just go and get a $3.99 breakfast buffet from Ponderosa and buy your drinks at the supermarket, I NEVER buy hotel food or drinks wherever I go because I know they cost a bomb ? Again this is only classed as a 3 star, I think some reviews are expecting champagne on beer money If you want to pay 5 star prices then you get what you pay for. I cannot stress enough that I have travelled frequently and used to be Travel Agent and this the BEST 3 Star I have stayed in by far The HolidaY iNN IS SUPPOSED TO A 4 STAR and it is AWFUL. The only negative thing I could say is that the Bathroom is TINY and we didnt have a bath tub just a shower and it was badly lit, BUT who really spends much time in the bathroom, It did not affect our time at all. Also a lot of reviews have said that it is like a MOTEL ????? What on earth are they thinking, it is Caribbean style and would you want to stay in a TOWER block in the Caribbean ? A MOTEL does NOT have beautiful gardens and an amazing Lobby with helpful staff and does NOT have all the facilities that this does. I say to everyone to book this NOW as it is being taken over by the HILTON chain in September and it will no doubt DOUBLE in price and get another S*tar and will Not be available with any package uk holiday. Restaurants I would highly recommend are Sweet Tomatoes (amazing choice all u can eat Buffet) The Cheesecake Factory (best meal I had !) and Tony Romas for great value everyday meals(all u can eat garlic bread for .99c !!!) I have been to Florida 6 times (Crowne Plaza, Residence Inn, Floridays Resort ) to name a few and would reccomend all of them as well as The International Plaza. We LOVED it, you will too . . . . . .

• Stayed: June 2009