“Great Getaway and amazing breakfast”

Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld
Ranked #135 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I spent the weekend here while enjoying some festivities in orlando. The staff, especially April and a young man from Spain, were very helpful and attentive. They made me feel like I was staying among friends but still had my privacy. My room was clean and well appointed. I liked the rolling divider that could quickly hide the kitchinette area when guests were over. The grounds are very well kept. It's a great place to stay if you want a relaxing environment that is close to everything but still has enough green space to feel like you got away. I will definitely be back! Breakfast was amazing!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Moneimani
Doubtletree_Orlando, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your stay as this is the experience we hope to deliver to all of our guests at the Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld. It is great that you were able to enjoy breakfast in the Bamboo Grille as well as some time relaxing. We look forward to your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,274)

Reviewed November 29, 2012

The pool area and courtyard are great, the rooms average, the location great, but this hotel has no concept of maintenance. When we first arrived we rode the elevator with the Otis elevator repairman. While riding, a Doubletree employee told him the other elevator was also broke. Seeing no sign on it later in the day my husband took it up to the 17th floor. Unfortunately it was never fixed and he was trapped in it for 1.5 hours as they tried to get the door to open and he rode up and down floors as other people pressed the button. We did get a phone call with an apology by phone but missed dinner and I was shaken when a policeman shows up at your door to tell me my husband was stuck. When I told them I was upset because they were aware of the problem and still let us enter the elevator, they said no the other elevator was broken and I said no we heard their employee tell the repairman that this one was broke as well, apparently management never makes it over to the rooms which are separate from the front desk area! Their solution-- put out of order signs on both on a 17 floor hotel, leaving one elevator for the entire week of our stay! People had to wait a half hour to get an elevator with room to ride.

Then the hair dryer didn't work, and to top off the week, while in the bathroom the light fixture fell off the wall! It would be funny if the whole week wasn't true.

But the cookies are good!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank clevelander4

We truly regret any inconvenience you and your husband may have experienced while using the elevators during your stay with us. While scheduled maintenance is performed on the elevators throughout the year, there are times when additional service may be required and the maintenance team has addressed these concerns. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back so we can renew your trust in us.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Another amazing experience!!! This hotel and its staff never disappoint. My room was clean and had all the amenities I could ask for. After meeting one the managers, April Willis, it is understandable why the staff is so professional and friendly. She was fantastic and a true leader in customer service. I can't wait until my next visit to Orlando.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Darius K

It was wonderful to have welcomed you back to the Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld. We can't thank you enough for your continued loyalty and kind comments regarding your stay. Thank you and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here for 2 weeks, stayed in the main hotel block (try and get that one to avoid noise etc). The rooms were lovely, bed was very comfy there was coffee table, drawers, wardrobe, desk, flatscreen TV with lots of channels... Bathroom was standard. There were 3 different pools we visited summer and there were plenty of sunbeds all over. The restaurant's were nice but abit pricey compared to outside, not extortionate though, very yummy. The free cookies are delicious! One night there was a fire alarm (we heard it for like 5 mins) and the next morning we got free tea/coffee and pastries which was a nice gesture and the staff were really nice & helpful. Our maid was cute, she kept making our bed every other day & folding our Pyjama's for us!

The bus was a major problem (the one to Disney). It was packed coming home anytime after 5.30pm... one time we decided to stay in WDW until the last bus (around midnight) and the bus was full! there were about 40 people left! luckily they ordered another bus but we had to wait 20mins for it (luckily we don't have screaming toddlers to deal with). There were also very few times to choose from you either get up stupidly early and spend a LONG time in the parks (and melt to death) or get up late and have 3-4 hours there. This hotel is the 1st pick up, so you always get a seat which is a bonus, but your the last to be dropped off home. The driver lady was really nice she helped in the panic situations as a lot of times the bus was too full. We visited Peak time summer so this may be why the bus was so packed.

DO NOT buy the I-trolley pass! If you try and get on them anytime after 7pm they are all full and drive past you! then you have to wait another 20/30 mins for the next one and sometimes that one is full too. Get the LYNX bus pass, the bus stop is right outside Double Tree meaning you can go MACY's, Disneyland and other places really easy and the Lynx buses were always empty, not to mention more frequent. You also have more choice if you choose lynx - you dont need to rely on the complimentary shuttle so you can go the park ANYTIME and come home whenever you feel but the main benefit is that after 7pm when you want to go I-drive you don't have to wait with all the I-trolley dopes (like us) because the Lynx buses were rarely packed. Also beware the last I-trolley bus is like 10.30-11pm and its ALWAYS busy meaning you can't get on and sometimes have to pay extra for a LYNX bus or taxi home! We made note to catch the 10past I-trolley. Also take the right change on all buses, its all automated.

I could go on all day about the mayhem of the Disney Parks but cannot be bothered as I will be here all day. One rule I will mention though... DO NOT buy lolly ices from there, I honestly don't know why they sell them! We bought one each and it ended up melting all over my dress... I mean like uncontrollably all over my hand, dress, legs and feet! It was just too hot for them, they are meant to cool you down but instead make you more hot and frustrated (I seen the same with at least 5 different families). Also take your own drinks or you will spend most of your day queuing up to buy one at high prices.

The restaurants are not as cheap as everyone makes out, well maybe for people in other countries but being from the UK, when we converted the value, it was abit like eating out in UK every night. The places we found worth going where CI-CI's which is an all you can eat for like 5.99! another place is Del Taco (not Taco Bell) we got a Taco, drink and potato stick for $2.99! AMAZING value there compared to everywhere else. I'd say the fast food (Subway, McDonalds) are on average about $7 a meal, eating out is around $12 a meal including buffets but if you think about it, you have to times this figure by 4, 8 or even more so it does add up.

Outlets are definitely a to-do, be sure to visit the Dollar Tree & Puma store. Puma were selling shoes for as little as $15 and DollarTree had lots of american candy cheaper than most places.

If your driving, be so careful. When we were there is was peak time and there were so many crashes! Also if you have kids be careful on Zebra crossings, in the UK we all stop for pedestrians, In Orlando they try and run you over on purpose...or maybe its not in their Highway-Code rules to stop? We crossed a few times to see cars coming straight for us 60mph not slowing down at all, luckily we ran out of the way after our mother screaming the place down. My sister had a few near misses so we decided to all hold hand's like school kids when approaching roads haha!

TIp if your going in Summer! We got a sandwich bag and filled it with ice (there an Ice machine in the hallway) & a flannel so when we got to the park and the heat got unbearable, which it does, we got the flannel out and it felt like heaven on your face! (better than an Ice lolly) make sure you knot the bag though. Go on the rides whilst fireworks are on in the night, the queue times are like 5 mins and if you seen the fireworks the day before, your not missing anything.

Overall this was a very memorable holiday, we had a few up's & down's. The hotel was very pleasant and if I ever come back I will definitely book this place. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday, Orlando is not your answer - it is very stressful & go-go-go! but at the same time extremely fun & a great experience. Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Choose the main block
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Beccie-Anne

Your detailed comments and recommendations are appreciated. It appears you were able to experience so much while here. While there are times of the year when the Orlando area is busier than others, we are delighted you were able to enjoy your stay with us. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

My partner and I stayed for 10 nights (Nov 3-13th), it is difficult to write a review without being completely negative but here goes...
We entered the lobby to check in and were quietly impressed by the whole appearance of the place but our enthusiasm would soon be dampened as we were banished to a distant outpost known as block 7 which couldn't have been further away (in every way possible!).
On entering our allocated room we were surprised to find that it was being used for storage, stacked high with urine stained mattresses that smelled as bad as they looked. To be fair reception changed our room immediately to one a couple of doors down but although the room was tidy it was dull, tired, well overdue refurbishment and didn't smell much better than the first room.
The pillows were lumpy and the mattresses on the beds were tired and uncomfortable being well past their best, I don’t think that ‘turning’ them would have made a difference unless you could turn them into newer ones! On the plus side (for the hotel!), after a few nights Sarah needed a back massage in the Spa which earned them nearly $150 so maybe awful beds are good for business?
One more thing regarding the room; I understand completely that cockroaches will get into anywhere but it was best to leave the lights OFF during any night time visit to the bathroom as we’re not used to seeing big reddy brown beasties scurrying for cover in our country!
Because of the complete lack of sleep my body clock never adjusted to ‘USA’ time, the upside was that on our return to the UK I did not suffer jet lag and I’ve never been so pleased to see my own bed.
At this point I must explain that we had prepaid the accommodation through an agent, it was cheap and we were doing this break on a budget so although I wanted to blow the payment and move hotels my other half wouldn’t hear of it so we stayed put.
Other irritations were: The TV reception was dreadful, only a handful of channels worked (intermittently!) so even when I was lying awake all night I constantly needed to keep switching to a ‘viewable’ station, the air con in the room was the noisiest I’ve ever endured and the vending machines at the end of the block were empty when we arrived but never got restocked until the day before we left.
On the positive side:
The hotel gave us a round of drinks and a breakfast each for our troubles, the bar and restaurants were good, not too expensive and good quality food, the draught beers were only $3.00 a pint too! Every member of staff that we encountered were great, always friendly and helpful with the exception of the concierge staff who constantly made efforts to get us to view the Hilton time share presentation down the road! The hotel is in a superb location, plenty of decent restaurants locally, Seaworld is a five minute walk (through the back gate) and great public transport links if you’ve no car.
In summary:
Was it worth the money and would we stay there again? The answer to both of these questions is a NO. Spend 50% more on accommodation and you will get somewhere 10 times better!

Room Tip: From reading other reviews I would say that the tower is very good but the rest of the place just ai...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tim L

It is disappointing to learn your stay with us was not as you had expected. Thank you for bringing these points to our attention. Feedback like yours helps us to improve in our services to our customers and we regret any inconvenience you may have experienced. Your comments will be shared with the team as we refresh our commitment to our customers. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back to renew your trust.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed here for four nights. After being in NYC and a bad experience at our hotel there. We were excited by Orlando, it was clean and the guy at check-in gave us hope the stay was going to be amazing. Sadly it was not, got to our room (block 11), tried to open the curtain only to find the window was lined with mould and there were little worm like creatures on the floor of the shower. Next was the Wi-Fi, it was slow and would disconnect all the time plus it cost $9.95 a day. If you're going to charge for something a lot of places offer for free make sure it's good. It would only allow me to use it on my cellphone but not my iPad. Advised reception of the Internet problems, they explained that it only allows to connect to one device and offered to refund the $9.95 but when they looked at the account it had charged me for FOUR devices (I don't even own four devices!!) so they would only refund the three that should have never been there putting me back to square one. After all that they told me the Wi-Fi in the lobby was free (and sadly faster than the Wi-Fi in the room). Other small issues; our room service tray was left outside the room for approx 12-hours, we asked if they could confirm our shuttle for use - they dialled the number and then handed us the phone, it's a meal and a show trying to pay for your breakfast when you have a bus to catch, the elevator needs a good service and their "travel centre" can't take a hint very easily. I wish I had something better to say, it is a nice hotel that offers a lot but fails to deliver.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank nicbloxnz

To read comments such as yours is disappointing as this is not the experience we expect to deliver to our guests. We appreciate you bringing these points to our attention and we will address your comments with the team. Feedback like yours helps us to improve in our services and we regret any difficulties you may have experienced. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back to enjoy our hotel from a new perspective.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

My sister and I stayed here for 2 weeks 12th - 26th October 2012. We were given a room on the ground floor of block 7. Having read some dodgy reviews of the rooms in the blocks I was a little apprehensive but was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean, although a little dated and was in need of a bit of a makeover. There wasn't much of a view from the room, we could see a car park and an office block/hotel and that was pretty much it. We were woken up almost every night of our stay by the sprinkler system - the jet spray seems to miss the lawn and hit the building so it sounds like it's hammering down with rain. The beds were nice and comfy though so it was easy enough to drift back off to sleep. It was very quiet away from the pool as well so that was a bonus. A few times throughout the first 9/10 days we had a couple of unwelcome visitors into our room that appeared to be sneaking in through the small gaps in the floor tiles or the gap between the wall and the sprinkler. When we reported the pests to reception someone came out within half an hour to put down some spray and we were offered another room so we wouldn't be dreaming of roaches which was a nice touch. We were moved to an identical room upstairs where the noise of the sprinkler outside wasn't quite so bad either! Our safe broke during our stay but the reception staff couldn't have been more helpful storing our belongings away safely for us until it was fixed.

We had breakfast twice in the hotel and have to say it is VERY overpriced ($16+service) when you can go to the Village Inn, Denny's or Ihop for a lovely and filling breakfast for less than $10 inc service. The omelettes cooked fresh by the lady there are really good though. We ate once more at the bar one evening and had the Mediterranean flatbread - that was delicious. The grounds in the hotel are beautiful, we were just sad that we didn't get to make the most of them because visiting the parks was so full on. The only real complaint we had was when the numerous conferences were being held. We appreciated that this is a popular convention centre, but when these were being held it felt that as holidaying guests we were somewhat intruding and it was a little uncomfortable wondering around in swimwear with all these business people!

The hotel is ideally placed for the I-ride trolley and Lynx bus to Disney as they're just outside. The 111 Lynx does stop fairly early and so when there wasn't a suitable scheduled pick-up from the hotel's shuttle it was a bit of a nightmare getting back home. There is another Lynx that runs to Seaworld and there is a stop just outside to the side of the hotel, the bus drops you right by the gates of the car park. We would definitely recommend getting the 14 day I-ride pass as you easily get your money's worth in the first day or 2. There isn't any direct public transport to Universal which is a bit of a pain if you have a late finishing event there as the hotel shuttle leaves at around 7pm. A taxi can cost anything between $15-25 which isn't that bad really all things considering, just make sure the driver sticks to Universal Blvd or it will be nearer the $25 than $15! The hotel shuttle is useful, and you only need to pre-book the Universal shuttle so don't let that put you off. Be warned though, it can take up to an hour to get to Disney due to the number of other hotels it picks up at. These can also become VERY overcrowded where the whole aisle of the coach is packed full of people having to stand. The Seaworld and Universal shuttles were by far the more pleasant experience, one of the drivers Sebastian was fabulous, gave us some good hints and tips and was just so friendly (unlike some of the other drivers...)

There are plenty of places to eat on and around I-drive - Denny's is lovely, $8 for steak and 2 sides + drink = bargain! The Village Inn does a lovely breakfast and the staff are very friendly. The pancakes are to die for. The Golden Corral is a bit of a hidden gem - get off the I-ride trolley not far before KFC and it's hidden to the rear of a Walgreens. $12.99 all you can eat evening buffet with steak cooked fresh to your liking. Delicious!

We were pleased with our choice of hotel, and a little disappointed we didn't get to spend as much time there as we would have like. Would probably look at staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

We can't thank you enough for your detailed review of your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld. It appears you were able to experience so much while here and we appreciate you sharing your perspective and suggestions for guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.