“Nothing to write home about”

Four Points by Sheraton Orlando International Drive
Ranked #196 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 11, 2014

The first day was shakey. Got to our room only to have the power go out (thank goodness we weren't in the elevator as it has 21 stories). Went down to the pool bar to get the 411 and the stairwells have no lighting at all. Thank goodness for cell phone flashlight. Power came back on went back to room and No hot water for shower. No hot water by the morning so they did move us to a room that had it. The key card system was down (due to power failure) so every time I left the room someone had to take me to the room to open door. This went on for 2 days. Most of the time after that, my key they just rekeyed would never work and I would have to go back down to lobby and get it fixed. Rooms are dated but comfortable. Staff was friendly. The no ice on every floor gets me too.

Room Tip: Our room 406 had no hot water
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Yolaida R, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Orlando International Drive, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

We are sorry to hear about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We do appreciate the feedback as it helps us improve our services for future guests. Thank you again for your review.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,324)

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Good location, close to Universal, water parks, etc. And at $98/night, it's not a bad deal. And there is a gym and pool.

But the rooms are small and dated. The air conditioner was very loud, and it was either blasting cold air or was off. The bathroom smelled of mildew.

When I checked in I was to receive breakfast vouchers included in my rate. They didn't have any, but assured me they would slide them under my door. After asking 3 different times over 2 days they never showed up and I gave up.

I ate at the restaurant. I wasn't expecting much, but wasn't in the mood to walk to the Red Lobster across the street. My waitress didn't know what beers were on tap, so she called someone else. Then she complained that the coworker she called hung up on her.

All in all I really like Starwood properties, but this particular hotel is a real disappointment.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank TwoWas

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

First off, I will begin by saying we are SPG gold members, so we are no strangers to SPG properties. For those of you who have read my reviews before, you know I list the good and the bad. I will begin with the good.

The staff was SUPER nice. They are friendly and they attend to you with great care. The hotel has a gym and a laundry center. The rates are very fair and reasonable, and it's very close to the Universal parks, the Millennia Mall, and directly across the street from Red Lobster - those cheesy biscuits! - and other good restaurants.

Unfortunately, the list of the bad is more encompassing than the list of the good. The hotel's sound insulation is minimal. The bathrooms and guest rooms are extremely dated...like, REALLY dated (even Howard Johnson's have granite now, while these guys are rocking the white tiled counters and checkered tile in bathrooms).

Rooms are TINY because of the design of the hotel; however it's this same design that caused the blackout shades to be obsolete when the morning light hit my face at 6:30am on a Sunday. For those of you who don't know, the hotel is a tall, circular building, so all rooms will most likely have this issue.

DISCLOSURE: This same shade malfunction is what caused me to be angry enough to write this review at 6:30 am without coffee or breakfast, as I was unable to go back to sleep.

Continuing on with the bad. We are in the 11th floor and I can still hear the buses in the street. The AC is pretty noisy. I also thought it was strange that there was no ice machine in each floor. The ice machine is on the 12th floor. That's right, just one machine. Of course, that means no vending machines for a midnight snack, at least none that I saw.

I did not visit the hotel, pool, restaurant, or laundry, so I cannot speak for how they look, but if the guest room is indicative of what the rest of the hotel may look like, I can only assume the amenities are less than desirable. Quite frankly, I was afraid to try the restaurant. If they haven't updated anything in the hotel, the kitchenware is probably also pretty dated (insert gag reflex sound here).

Lastly, and this is just me being petty, the "citrus" water they had at the entrance tasted nothing like they intended. It tasted just like water to me.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lexv160

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed here for 10 nights in October 2013. Hotel staff friendly and room perfectly adequate. Wasn't as clean as it could have been and had a leak in bathroom ceiling from room above so would wake up to dripping sounds. Used the hotel shuttle bus to get to both universal studios and Disney found this really good. Could do with updating.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Very Happy with this hotel it was beautiful although I did not get to use the pool this time I am sure when I come up with my son next time we will it was great the area for the kids looked FUN.
The decor was beautiful a the rooms were spacious.

Room Tip: Don't know what tip to give you we has an awesome room high up overlooking Universal.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Older hotel in need of some serious updating. The beds are super comfortable (Sealy Posturepedics) and the bedding and towels are pretty decent...but the carpet and tile work needs to be replaced. Randomly, the phones in my room seemed gross and the outside of the windows need to be cleaned. Trying to not be too hard on this place, but even though it's really close to Universal and a waterpark...it shouldn't be a dollar over $109 a night.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for your review. We are glad you liked our hotel location. Come back again soon

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I'm not really sure what's with the mediocre to subpar reviews for this hotel. Sure, it wasn't the Ritz, but for the price and value, this is absolutely one of the better hotels in the Orlando and Universal area.

Lets start with location - if you're going to Universal, it doesn't get better. First, you're a block or two off of international drive, so that if you want to spend your time sitting in I-Drive traffic on your way to a chain restaurant (I'm looking at you, 80% of Floridians), then it's perfect! Sarcasm aside, you're also less than a mile from Universal. If you're an adult, going to City Walk to enjoy some nighttime festivities, it is the perfect walking, stumbling or crawling distance. No cab needed, but if you're a woman or Ru Paul and wearing heels, then it's an under $10 cab ride. Parking, if you get there earlier in the evening (they stop charging at some point) is $15, so it's almost the same price for less risk.

The rooms at the hotel are very spacious and comfortable. Beds were easy to fall asleep in. Bathrooms are big with large showers. AC works well. Everything was clean. Even the walls - which is a surprise in a park area hotel in Orlando - were thick enough that the people in nearby rooms were muffled. That said, the hallways are very narrow and if you have a room by the elevator - like us - you will hear everything from the hallway. It gets very loud in the morning, with people and their kids trying to get an early start. It would be nice if the doors were soundproofed better, but I guess you can't have everything. If you aren't planning on getting up early, you will want to ask for a room away from the elevators. Only problem with that is the hotel is circular, and the elevator banks are in the middle with entrances to the elevator hall at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock (circular hotel people, picture a clock). Therefore, there are only a couple of rooms at 12 and 6 where you're away from the elevators and the noise.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Checking in took a while, but the manager was looking for my starwood membership and I forgot what address it was registered to. Then, once he found it, he changed our room to a higher floor and gave us a 4:00 check out, so there was a benefit to the wait. If I am going to give this place any negatives (besides the hall noise) the first would be that we told him we would be checking out later - probably close to 4. He even asked us so he could note it. And yet, housekeeping still knocked on our door at 11 something. Why? What is the point of asking us when we're going to check out if housekeeping is still going to pound on the door? Second problem, and this is a problem in the hotel industry, especially Orlando, is unadvertised resort fees. When we booked the hotel, the website said our total was $72 plus taxes. We get to the hotel, and we find out there is a $10 resort fee for parking, wifi, use of the pool, etc. Now, we used parking and wifi, so fine. We took advantage of those services. But it isn't optional. You have to pay it, even if you don't have a car, use the wifi or the pool. So if it is a required fee, then you're being dishonest and purposefully pulling a fast one by not including it in your advertised price. Your hotel rooms do NOT cost $72. They cost $82. It's a bait and switch. I don't understand why the airlines are required to include all of their fees in the final price you see on the website, but not the hotels.

Still, that complaint applies to all hotels with resort fees, so this hotel wasn't doing anything different. It would be nice to get an honest hotel every now and then, but if they are all dishonest, then I can't take points off from one of them for something the entire industry is doing.

I'll stay here again the next time my business (my business being having fun) takes me to the Universal area. It's a really good hotel - noise, and resort fees aside.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators. Rooms are quiet, but the noise from the hallway gets very loud and the clo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple