Four Points by Sheraton Orlando International Drive
Ranked #200 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We just got home from a 3 day weekend in Orlando to visit Universal/Islands of Adventure. Orlando is only about 100 miles away but it's fun to take a mini-vacation. This weekend was extra-special because it was to celebrate my daughter's 9th birthday. She wanted this trip instead of a party. We usually stay at places like Hampton Inn, Comfort Suites, etc. mostly because breakfast is included. However, for this particular weekend those places were over $100/night, way more than we wanted to spend. I booked this through hotwire, which I've never done before, it was scary but I couldn't pass it up for $50/night. I figured for that amount of savings we could swing buying breakfast :).

As soon as I saw the hotel name on hotwire I consulted trusty tripadvisor.com. The consensus was that this hotel was convenient to Universal, a bit older/run down, but clean and the view was amazing if you got the right room. I found the manager's name (Artanika) and emailed to request a higher level room. I got a response that a room on a higher floor would be no problem. I really wasn't expecting that, especially since I booked through hotwire. When we checked in, they said our high rise room was all set. I was honestly very surprised because I figured I'd ask and it would have just gotten brushed under the rug. No, we were on the 17th floor (highest is 21) on the side that overlooks Universal. I got a parking space right by the back door which made it easier to get all of our stuff to the elevator.

I prepared for the worst with the room but was again pleasantly surprised. The air temp was nice, the beds had lots of pillows and nice bedding (updated from the pics on the website), the view was amazing even in the dark, the TV was huge (although it took us about 20 minutes to get it turned on-it had been set to video game mode), and the water pressure was great in the shower. The bathroom looked a little dated and had old stains but it was fine.

I noticed a lot of reviews stating that the hotel is very secure and you have to use your card key everywhere...I didn't find this to be the case. I never had to use my card key for the elevator and the back left door is freely unlocked without having to use your key. This didn't bother me, just a note here.

We checked in late on Thursday night so the shuttle representative was already gone, but we came back Friday morning and made a reservation for the shuttle at 9:30am. Keep in mind that if you miss the 9:30am shuttle there isn't another one until 11:30am. I always like to take shuttles when we stay in Orlando because parking is so expensive, plus you don't have to bother with finding a spot and keeping track of your keys all day. Four Points is one of the shuttle's first pick-ups and there are about 4-5 more stops after. The driver has to go check in with the office of each hotel so it will take you about 30-40 minutes to get to Universal which is about a 5 minute drive. Again, this didn't bother me but it may be a factor for some impatient to get to the park. I'd much rather pay a shuttle driver $1/per person than worry about parking for $15 or getting a dishonest cab driver that may try to show us Orlando. The return times for the shuttle were very convenient both for our Islands of Adventure day and our Universal Studios day. By the way, Four Points is the second shuttle stop on the way home, which was nice.

Our second day we made the mistake of getting downstairs to book a shuttle at about 10:00am. We scheduled the 11:30am shuttle and then went to get breakfast. As others have mentioned, the hotel is right in between ihop and Denny's. We tried both and the lines were out the door, so we went down I-drive to try to find something else. EVERYwhere was packed like that, so we went back to the hotel for the buffet. Ahhh, quiet and peaceful away from the stress of the crowds and we could relax about missing our shuttle. The hostess with the accent (I'm sorry, I forgot her name!) was so sweet and gracious. The buffet had scrambled eggs (very runny, eww), bacon, potato wedges, french toast, oatmeal with lots of topping choices, pastries, and bread. Besides the eggs, it was all really good. My daughter was free (yay!), we paid $30 or two of us with tip. It was totally worth being away from the crowds. The next morning we ate at Village Inn near the convention center because I got a Kids Eat Free card from AAA when I got the park tickets. I wish we had eaten at the hotel again! 9:30am was a HUGE difference in the crowds from 10:30am the day before so if you can, eat early.

The walls of the hotel are VERY thin...aside from the normal door slamming noises you can hear everything going on in the next room. Thursday night our neighbors woke us up with yelling and the next night it was 1:00am with yelling, cursing, and slamming things around in the room. I could hear every single thing they said. We called the front desk and they sent security up. No more problems after that and no problems the next night.

Universal Studios closed at 5pm Saturday for Halloween Horror Nights so by the time we took the 11:30 shuttle there we didn't have much time to do everything we wanted to do. We got back to the hotel early and walked to Sweet Tomatoes. After dinner my daughter wanted to go swimming so I put on my bathing suit thinking I'd get into the hot tub. No hot tub :(. I got in the pool with her but was way too cold for me. We played some games in the game room, which was fun but the games stole like 4-5 tokens from us.

While check in was perfect, check out Sunday was mayhem. I don't know what kind of event/tour bus rolled into town but the elevators and the front lobby were insane. I left my key at the front desk so I didn't have to go back upstairs to leave the key in the room. Hopefully I got checked out ok, I'm still not sure!

Sorry for the textbook of a review, but I wanted to try to give important details. I would definitely stay here again, but only at the hotwire price.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank bear27780
artanika, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Orlando International Drive, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for your recent visit and taking the opportunity to provide us with a detailed review. We appreciate the fact that you would take the time from your day to provide feedback for not only your co-travelers but also to the property.
We look forward to your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,344)

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Very nice budget hotel. Free parking. Only shortcoming is that they don't have refrigerator.

Orlando is a big city (at least from my view); so depending on where're you're visiting the location could be bad or good; so be aware.

Interesting thing about this hotel is that the room is placed on a circle towards outside in each floor... So every room has a different view :-)... just a small fun.

Would be more than enough for most budget travelers.
Thanks,

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2012

After being let down by Virgin regarding our booked hotel not being finished, we did not hold out much hope when we had to choose another hotel at short notice. How wrong could we be! What a friendly, clean and modern hotel this is. As most other people seem to mentioned, the service was first class. Good sized, smart bedrooms with wi-fi on tap and a lovely big tv. Tried the restaurant a few times as well as room service, food was always very good. Location wise, it is very good for Universal which we walked on a few occasions but I think it is on the rougher end of i drive. Would also like to mention Ian, who was very helpful when I stupidly managed to leave my phone in a taxi. Phone was returned.....very happy! Ian, you are a star! I hope the manager is proud of his team and hotel. Would recommend this hotel.

1  Thank Matthew B
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The last time I visited the hotel earlier in 2012 I gave it a poor rating because of housekeeping shortcomings. The hotel wrote to me stating they had taken care of this issue and requested I try them again. Well, I did and they did rectify the housekeeping issues, BUT there were other issues. When I checked into my room neither the air con nor the tv were working. The hotel did send an engineer to repair the problems but they should have known about them and corrected them before I had to call. Not really big deals I guess, but combined with the previous visit issues, it leads me to conclude the hotel is not well managed. In The free (included in rate) buffet breakfast had a good variety but the quality of the food was terrible.The bagel I took not only was a frozen low quality one, but it was mushy as were all of them that were on the platter. The cream cheese must have been out too long the previous day because it had a bad smell as well.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Just returned from a two week stay here and had absolutley no complaints. The rooms were spacious, clean, had a large tv, large bathroom, safe and a fridge which you do have to request when you arrive as there are a limited number. It was in a perfect location at the top of International Drive, almost opposite Wet n Wild and was only a $6 taxi journey to Universal if you didn't feel like getting the shuttle or a 20min walk. The shuttles leave and return at set times and you can book these at the reception with ease. If you don't want to get the shuttle back it's about a $30 taxi drive back from disney and as mentioned a $6 ride from Universal. The staff here were wonderful and when Virgin forgot to pick us up on our hotel transfer the staff at the hotel were more than happy to chase them up for us which was more than Virgin did..Would definatley advise staying here! It was fab.

Room Tip: Ask for a fridge as soon as you check in to avoid disapointment and book shuttles a day in advance
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank k_20129
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel is well situated right opposite wet n wild and between Denny's and Ihop, the rooms are a good size with a excellent maid service top class, fresh towels everyday without fail, you get free car parking and free safe in the room for the stay, and free bottles of water in the room.
The only slight downside to the room is that the air conditioning is quite load but you do get used to it.
We booked the trip to florida with Virgin Holidays, when we arrived at the hotel we were given a room with 2 queen sized beds instead of 1 king bed, the hotel saw that we were dissapointed with this so they gave us a high room floor, the staff were always happy to help throughout the whole stay.
we didnt use the resturant or the swimming pool so we cant comment on this.
The room didnt have a mini fridge, but you dont realy need as there is a vending machine and a free ice machine on every floor

Top hotel very close to universal studios will definatly book this hotel on my next trip

Room Tip: Make sure if you have booked with virgin holidays to call ahead and confirm king bed room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Awesome to see we were able to accommodate you and your family. We look forward to your next visit and please do not hesitate to contact me for that king room next year I will be happy to help...

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Just back from 2 great weeks at the Four Points. My son stayed there last year so we went on his recommendation and were not disappointed. We were in room 1216 with a great view of Universal (we had originally been booked into a room with a view of downtown Orlando but asked if we could change - thank you Rosa!). We had requested a fridge which arrived the day after our arrival - thank you again Rosa! The rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean. The hotel is just the right size - not too big as to be impersonal - everyone was so friendly and helpful and the hotel had every facility you could want on your stay from free Wi-fi to complimentary coffee in the mornings to a laundry room (meant less laundry to do when we got home to rainswept N. Ireland). The bar staff are all so great - Wenith is a gem and Osama is so lovely and couldn't do enough for us. Drew (Food & Beverage Manager) is such a lovely guy and not forgetting Gary (we never did get to see your boat!). Universal is a 15/20 minute walk away (or you can get the complimentary shuttle), Premium Outlets 30 minutes' walk or 6 stops on the I-Ride - which has a red/green transfer stop just outside the hotel meaning you can ride the green or red I-Ride. Wet N Wild is just across the road and of course the main (busy) stretch of International Drive is 5 minutes away. We are already saving to go next year again and met up with some couples who go year after year and now we know why. Keep up the good work Four Points - see you all again next year x

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family