“For all the work done to improve hotel-same should have been done for customer service.”

Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld
Ranked #62 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Illinois
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We had prepaid for a "Gift from Shamu" to be in our room upon arrival, as well as requested extra towels-all prompted by an email the hotel sent to us offering these items, prior to our arrival. Gift was not in our room-and there were three towels, and three of us. Called for the gift, all apologetic (understand, things happen-they advised they weren't sure of our arrival time)-arrived shortly thereafter-in the meantime, an engineer had to come to our room, as the door that was to the adjoining room of a stranger had a flip lock that wouldn't throw the lock. Slightly discomforting, but fixed-problem solved. We were told the room had a refrigerator-which we quickly located under the safe and placed milk in-only to find out next day that it was an old courtesy bar that no longer worked-kept things at room temp only (found this out after calling the Front Desk and speaking to a different employee), milk spoiled. They offered to bring up a little fridge-door was not completely on it's hinge, and you had to lift up door to open/close-hotel employee complained that they didn't understand why the hotel hadn't put the new refrigerators in the rooms, as they had arrived, just had not be put in the rooms (this fridge worked out great until we came back to hotel from parks one day to find it had been unplugged). Anyway-the above was all before the first nights sleep-and the last time my husband and I were able to sleep together. We had two queen size beds-one for our 4 yo, one for us. Our mattress (that was raved about in the hotel write up)-was inverted towards the center-so inevitably, you would end up rolling into each other (due to gravity) The mattress had such a huge dip in the center, that the bottom sheets would not stay on. We traded each night for the "good mattress" our 4yo had, and one of us would sleep with her. We did the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party-which didn't get us back to our room til 12:30a one night-and we opened to find the room had never been made up, garbage not emptied-we had no towels, etc. Called downstairs-had to ask if we could at least get towels to shower. No follow up/apologies on that. We were offered USA Today Newspaper upon our arrival to receive in the morning (during the week)-each day was another reason at the Front Desk why it wasn't delivered-why bother offering? The straw that broke the camels back for us-was when the bill arrived the morning of our departure-and there was a room service charge for our first night-for almost $100. We did not have room service-went down to front desk, asked to see what the charge was/itemized-something-couldn't provide. They said the room number probably was accidentally entered, and the removed the amount from our bill. As much as I appreciate that, I advised that this stay had seemed to have one comedy of errors after the next-and she simply handed me my bill and said have a nice day. Obviously didn't care to hear all that had transpired. Didn't even mention the valet guy yet with his safari hat on every morning-texting on his cell phone (several days had to clear the throat and say "excuse me"-while we were the only family out there waiting to request our vehicle)-that didn't even acknowledge opening the doors for my daughter and I-but stood by my husband, opened his door-and stood til my husband gave him his tip. Now, after hearing all this-you would think we would never stay again-but we might (I would know now to ask for another room, regarding the mattress)-and I would only hope that their customer service would improve. The hotel is gorgeous-as far as going to a "kid friendly" hotel-but still having some of the adult touches/luxuries. We loved the people that worked down by the pool, the movie nights they would do for the kids-and the ability to eat lunch/dinner right there while in your swimming suits. You should know that the hotel is one large atrium inside-and all the rooms' doors face out to that (picture Opryland Hotel on a smaller scale)-due to this, and the sushi bar, etc downstairs-it is loud in your room til about 1/1:30a every morning-however, the darkening curtains in the room do allow you to sleep in a little longer (we just got to the parks each day later than we would have liked). As much as it is a Sea World Hotel-they seem to really favor their business clientele right now-and the hotel was booming/filled with various business luncheons/meetings/trainings in this open atrium-so if you want to go to forget about work, trust me-this was a daily reminder. We were pleasantly surprised by the appearance of the hotel (inside and out), but what it is lacking overall is the finishing touch of true customer service.

1 Thank IllinoisBeachbum36

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (883)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Miami, FL
Reviewed October 20, 2009

This is th second time my husband and I have stayed at this hotel and is certainly not the last. The service the hotel is impeccable! From room service to valet! This hotel is "ish" :) You can literally walk to Sea World by staying here. The pool and whirl pool at this hotel is top notch! Love Love Love it!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DIORLOU
England
Reviewed October 20, 2009

We stayed for two weeks at the Renaissance from 23rd September, and we were thoroughly impressed. Upon arrival at the hotel, you realise just how close it is to SeaWorld, literally it is across the road! We checked in and were given complimentary champagne, and were told we had a room with a pool view. I asked if there was a balcony in this room and was told no, and then we were offered a room on the 8th floor with a balcony, which we accepted.
First point to make, the reception staff are very friendly, courteous and helpful, and this made a welcome change from some of the other hotels we have stayed at !
The atrium is lovely, very airy and spacious, with two bars and a restaurant, and also seating areas (where you see many business folk on their laptops) - there is also a Starbucks, which was handy in the morning, a shop that sells general sundries, and also the Expedia desk, who were also very helpful in arranging things for us. We flew with Virgin so we had complimentary Mears transport, so all we had to do was get a voucher from reception and then arrange our transport - all very easy!
The room was very spacious, with a double sink unit in the bathroom and good shower unit. The beds were by far the most comfortable beds i have ever slept in, just gorgeous. You also get an LCD flat screen tv with basic cable, as well as 2 armchairs and a table. The view from the balcony through the sliding doors looked out onto the pool area and tennis courts and out to Orlando.
I really cannot say enough good things about this hotel, we had a perfect stay, and if people were worried (like we were) about not driving on this holiday, dont be. The Mears transport is excellent and very promt for drop off and pick ups, and furthermore, there is an IRide and Lynx stop right outside the hotel, perfect for going up to I Drive, or even to Disney (Number 50 Lynx). And as i said, Seaworld is across the street,so its a short walk for there and the Busch Gardens shuttle.
The swimming pool area is beautifully landscaped, and there are loungers and also a bar - the pool was lovely! For kids there is also an arcade area. A fitness centre is also located on the ground floor, and also a Fed Ex office which you have 24 hour access too if you dont have wi fi, you can use the computers in there for a small charge.
One minor thing, we only ate in house once, and that was room service, it came to $43 all in for two cheeseburgers and fries. If you arent in the mood to go out of an evening, ask reception and they give you local take away delivery options that is wel worth it!
All in all then, the Renaissance Orlando Resort hotel is a must stay, and we reccomend it highly!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RiusN
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We stayed from 19th September '09 for two weeks at the Renaissance hotel. We didn't get the type of room that we had requested, ie pool view or atrium view, despite the hotel being very quiet. When I asked about moving rooms, we were given the option of a pool view room, but was informed that guests could be in the pool until any time of night, and I was wary of lots of late night noise, so we stayed where were. Although the hotel had apparently been renovated, our room wasn't one of them and the ceiling had stains and needed painted. You could also hear the guests in the room next door, which luckily was only for a few nights. Also, our fridge didn't work at all. I'd advise guests to ask for a room at the front of the hotel with a balcony, overlooking Seaworld. On the plus side, the room was large and the beds very comfortable.
The hotel staff were nice, although I was taken aback by the comments from one of the Duty Managers, 'Terry'. During our first week, the hotel fire alarm went off twice on seperate nights. This could of course happen anywhere, but I was concerned that the alarm was very quiet and only sounded in the main hotel reception area. There was no alarm in our room, which I feel is a safety issue, especially for the hard of hearing. My husband bearly heard it either. I looked out onto the balcony, down towards reception, as many other guests were also doing. No-one knew if we were to evacuate our rooms, there were no instructions to be heard after the alarm stopped. There was also no staff on reception when I tried phoning to ask if we were to evacuate, I had to keep waiting for the call to be answered. I mentioned this to the security guard when we returned one evening and he said a duty manager would give me a call, which'Terry' did. I expressed my concern about the low volume of the fire alarm and how many guests would simply not hear it, then it was simply turned off with no information. I said that if a fire alarm went off in a British hotel, it would be loud enough for everyone to be aware of it and everyone would need to evacuate. Terry didn't seem to have a clue about the fire alarm, as 'they have never had a fire'. He admitted he didn't know if the alarm would get louder if a fire was nearer our floor or not. Do the staff never have fire drills here? I certainly didn't feel reassured atfer speaking with this member of staff.
The buffet breakfast in Tradewinds was good, although you wouldn't want to spend $20 per person each day on breakfast. We often went to Starbucks, but this had limited choice and always sold out of croissants by 9.30am.
Hotel transfers to Universal or Aquatica were complimentary, when arranged, although had set times to drop you and return for you. Hotel pool was very nice, plenty of loungers which were complimentary. Car park had plenty of spaces very close to the hotel (again, we were there off peak). Food was good in the Sports Bar. Overall, we felt it was a reasonably good hotel but certainly not '5*' as we'd read in the Virgin Holiday brochure, and not worth the money we paid,. On checking out, reception staff didn't ask how we'd enjoyed our stay, which was unusual. We felt we'd get a similar hotel/facilities for better value elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveller_cb1
Tarryholme, Irvine, Ayrshire
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Just back from a 2 week holiday in Orlando staying at the Renaissance at Seaworld booked through Virgin Holidays. This Hotel is by far the best we have stayed in over the past 7 years. On arrival we were greeted with a glass of champagne. Our room was located on the 5th floor facing Seaworld with a very large balcony complete with sun lounger, table and chair and the room itself could not be faulted.

Every staff member at this hotel cannot do enough for you and a special mention must go to Terry Simmons, Guest Services, who went out of his way to ensure our stay was perfect.

The atrium area is stunning with a restaurant, sushi bar, sports bar and starbucks. Seven glass elevators whisk guests to all floors. The pool area is also impressive with an excellent pool bar, table tennis, tennis courts, basketball court, volleyball court and childrens play area.

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel so much that we have already booked for next year.

United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Just returned from our two weeks stay at the Renaissance. Had a wonderful time. Hotel was really nice and the staff were all very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. We had a room on the 10th floor, overlooked the car park and could see Seaworld too. The rooms are really large and the beds are the most comfy beds I have ever slept in. The bathroom was quite big, had double sink unit and shower over the bath. Hotel atrium is lovely, lots of seating areas, which were mostly used by business travellers. The hotel holds lots of conferences, there is always something 'going on'.
We never ate in the hotel, although the restaurants were always full, we went out for dinner and breakfast.
Used the swimming area lots, lovely great big pool and two hot tubs. My son enjoyed the basketball court and tennis courts.
Would definately recommend this hotel, all the staff were most helpfull.

Rugby, Warwickshire
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I am a little late in writing this review but I just want to let you know about the hotel.
My partner and myself stayed at this hotel in March 2007 for week. It was a package holiday booked via My Travel.

I was very impressed with the hotel but when we arrived, they were in the middle of a refurbishment. I was a little disapointed with the holiday company as we did not get a holiday rep and we were kind of dumped there by the holiday company.
We were not given any advice, maps or local information. We did not see anyone from My Travel during the holiday from when we got off the plane untill we got back on it.

Now to the hotel.
It was excellent. The room was very large, bright and light. The bath room was large and had two sinks. There was a large flat screen TV in the room.
All the staff were very helpfull and provided local transport to the Disney parks.
Sea world is just across the road and took 2 mins to walk there.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It is cheaper than staying in Disney and it was only 10 minutes in the car.

The dining was excellent and we had room service most nights as it was cheap enough. The bar was good if a little expensive. The buffet breakfast was one of the best I have ever tasted and the evening meals were excellent.
There was no Starbucks when we were there but they were half way through building when we stayed.

We used the pool once and this was good. We were the only people in it.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple