“Fun family time”

Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld
Ranked #67 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My family and I stayed here while visiting SeaWorld. This was our second stay at this hotel and I feel like it was even better than before. We had a roomy suite that was very clean and quite comfortable for our family of four. The staff was friendly and always helpful and the restaurant was unexpectedly great. We ordered room service a few times, which arrived promptly and was also quite tasty, though a bit limited in menu items.

The highlight of the stay, aside from Seaworld, was the fantastic mini waterpark. The kids absolutely loved it! This great feature alone would certainly bring us back to this hotel. Of course, older kids or those who frequent the big waterparks would find it small and boring, but as a first introduction to this sort of water fun, it is perfect. There is also a nicely shaded lounging area from which parents can on keep an eye on their kids while sipping on something cool to drink.

The spa was a nice surprise, as well. I loved the steam room! The staff was very nice and made me feel welcome and comfortable.

For the price, this hotel seems to be a great deal, especially considering we payed three times as much to stay at a Disney luxury resort later during the stay. The Disney resort was not nearly as clean and the rooms were tiny and much less comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
RenaissanceGuestSvcs, Manager at Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

We really appreciate your kind words and we are delighted to know that your experience was enjoyable. We look forward to your return for more fun at the RAqua zone and more relaxation at the spa.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We decided to stay at this property honestly because we booked it thru Priceline name your price deal and we had no choice. The hotel is right across the street from Seaworld which is nice if that is part of your plans. It took about 6-7 minutes to get to Universal Parks if that was were you were going to go. That was our general plan was to visit Universal. We liked that when you stayed at the hotel it said that there was going to be daily shuttle to the theme Parks. That was not true. The only daily shuttle they had was to Seaworld. Universal they had a shuttle that left at 1030 and returned to bring you back to the hotel at 730. So unless you want to be trapped at the parks all day of those specific times were ok for you than you had to drive yourself or take a taxi cab. Be prepared to pay 20 to park a day at Universal and 15 a day to park at this hotel. We were pretty annoyed at that and my husband talked to the manager albeit 2xs to get these charges taken off of our room. Eventually they did take them off. Which was much appreciated. As for the hotel itself the water park features were closed down due to remodeling, which was disappointing. The pool area was very nice and it was practically empty. The hotel was clean and inside had an impressive lobby with a nice water feature. Overall our beds were comfortable our rooms were clean so that was nice. I did not like the pool area being closed and the parking charges that they wanted to charge us. This hotel is centrally located with many restaurants and stores right down the street.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comment. We apologize for the closure of the RAqua Zone and the inconvenience they may cause to your family. We are glad that you enjoy your stay and the location of the resort. We hope you come visit us again.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Now, I try to write reviews often for both good and bad experiences. My experiences were very similar to those of the previous reviewer. The people were not "rude" but they were not very willing to help with any issues what so ever and actually seemed like they were going out of their way to make our weekend irritating. I'm going to take this complaint by complaint:

1. When we arrived we were greeted at the lobby desk by someone who said "welcome to Orlando" we gave her the confirmation number and her next words were "would you like to upgrade to one of our suites for #130 more per night?" Call me old fashioned, but I would prefer you take me to dinner first before you try to screw me. Me personally, I would have preferred a little small talk before you tried to get into my wallet; how was your trip? Where are you from? Celebrating anything special?. You know, what nice people do.

2. When we declined their offer to take more of our money they put us in a room directly in front of the elevator. Doesn't sound like a weekend ruining thing? Well, keep in mind these elevators beep (Very very loudly) every time it stops on the floor. From about 7am-12am the beeps are constant.

3. My fiance and I stay at hotels often. We usually choose Hilton (We are Hilton Diamond members) and we are used to having welcome notes written when we walk into a hotel room. When we walked in we found theirs: "Thank you for choosing Renaissance Orlando Seaworld Resort for your stay. Please note checkout time is 11AM. Guests who check out after 11AM will be charged a late check out fee of $75 and guests who check out after 12 noon will be charged a full day's rate". We both immediately felt this was very standoffish and was not such a nice thing for guests to see IMMEDIATELY upon walking into the room. (The checkout issues are a whole difference story.....see below)

4. The next morning we went downstairs for breakfast. I have not a word to say about the food overall. The breakfast was amazing pretty much everything you could want and more--including a man ready and willing to make you either eggs, waffles or pancakes. The waitress was nice. Why did the breakfast make it on this list? The waitress, while nice and friendly, picked up the check and looked to see what kind of tip we gave her before even walking away from our table. A bit awkward.

5. On Sunday at 2pm I called and requested a late check out for that Monday. The woman on the phone (Brenda) said "NO". Not "i'm sorry unfortunately that isn't an option." or something at least a bit nicer. When I asked if it made a difference we were Marriott rewards members she informed me that they will give 1 extra hour to platinum members but we have to pay if we want to check out at 11:01 per the note in the room (the "welcome" note i discussed earlier). She had a terrible attitude and was almost downright rude.

6. The next morning at 8:17AM housekeeping knocks on the door. We yelled for them to come back later but they just kept knocking. (for all those people who are thinking well, did you have the privacy tag up--the answer is no, because they didn't give us one in the room). My fiance got out of bed, went to the door and asked them to come back. The housekeeper then proceeded to ask him when we were leaving so she knew when to come back! Are you kidding me--we will leave when we want to!!!. Anyway, it completely woke us up so we got up early. As we were packing and showering to leave housekeeping came and knocked on the door AGAIN at like 10am. When we answered the door the housekeeper (who refused to make eye contact with us) said "oh, i'm sorry I thought you would be gone"!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME. We went from asking for a late check out to you waking us up at the crack of dawn.!!!! AWFUL.

Overall, the hotel had a very beautiful lobby and outdoor pool area. The food was great (although incredibly expensive). It was very convenient to seaworld, literally right across the street, outlets, and other attractions. I had a very services done at the spa and it was a very enjoyable experience--although, again very very expensive. The room was clean. The room also had outdated furniture but not awful stuff. The valet guys were very nice and quick.

My overall review of this hotel:

I think it caters more to large groups than individuals or families. At $150 a night (their usual rate) I wouldn't recommend it but if there are deals on kayak or something--this hotel could be worth it for about $80/night for someone who isn't bothered by service. We are Hilton diamond members and after this experience I would never return and it was bad enough to possibly make me reconsider choosing Marriott again in the future in any city. Hilton, by far, has better service and overall knows how to treat their clients.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arynn F
RenaissanceGuestSvcs, Manager at Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for posting this review regarding your experience at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and although it is never good to hear of the ways in which we disappoint our guests, your feedback is appreciated. We apologize for the unfortunate experiences surrounding your check-in and departure experience. As a result of your review and the other review you referred to, we have conducted additional training with our staff on how to handle guest service requests during high occupancy periods. We want to restore your faith in our hotel and service team. Please contact myself, or another member of our management team directly at your earliest convenience. You can reach me at 407-351-5555.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have been writing hotel reviews on TripAdvisor for many years now and this hotel warrants the WORST review ever! I was extremely frustrated that all I kept hearing from staff at this hotel was “No” and I was constantly reminded that there was a convention of 450 guests staying at the hotel. It was almost expected that I empathize with the hotel staff. I cannot understand why the front desk staff has received some positive feedback on this website. I would imagine that those reviews are primarily from people who stayed at this hotel for a convention. I also see many reviews that make mention of this being a convention hotel and this is more in line with my thinking about this terribly run hotel.

First, there are too many managers and you will never speak to the same one twice. They will never address any of your problems, but will always promise to “take care of you”. For example, when the valet gave me the wrong keys and sent me to walk through the parking lot to the wrong car, I noticed that my house keys were missing from my key chain. One of the many managers came out and searched my car for the keys. When he couldn’t find my keys in my car, he promised to get to the bottom of it and get back to me. This never happened and I am still waiting for that manager’s call! Okay, so they refunded me the charge for the valet service that particular day. Big Deal!

Now let me go back a little bit. Prior to my stay, I spoke with a manager by the name Oscar Aromin and when I mentioned to him that I was coming in to celebrate my birthday, he was so kind and wished me an early Happy Birthday. He promised that he would take very good care of me and have a great room waiting to celebrate my special occasion. Upon arrival I was assigned a dark and dated room with no view and old, tattered furniture. When I called down stairs and asked for Oscar, I was told that he was not working that day and I was referred to another manager who also promised that she would "take care of me". She told me that I could stay in the room I was in while they would got another room ready. She said that that room would be exactly the same but it would have some natural light instead of darkness. I told her that I had plans to meet with friends for dinner and did not wish to wait for hours in one room only to switch to another room. My friend and I decided to go down stairs and carryied all of our own luggage (after a 3 1/2 hour drive from Miami) and were met by yet another manager named Rafael, along with what is called a “hotel navigator”. The manager again reminded us that there was a large convention of 450 guests staying in the hotel that weekend and that he was very sorry for any inconvenience. I told him that I didn’t feel I should be penalized because of the convention, and again, I had yet another manager telling me not to worry and that he would "take care of me" ;) After searching through his computer for nearly 30 minutes, and after speaking with the “room efficiency” expert, he finally assigned us to another room and told me that he would waive the upgrade charge as a courtesy. When we went upstairs (again) to our "new" room, it was exactly the same, only in a different location of the hotel with a little sunlight. Thanks for “taking care” of me Rafael ! LOL

The next day we went down to the spa for a little pampering. After all it was my birthday weekend. We were told that they had no openings that day and (surprise), that there was a large convention at the hotel. On a separate occasion, when we called down for the car we were told that they were not accepting call ahead car requests and to go down and get the car ourselves. Mind you there is a $21 charge for this horrendous valet service. On the final day we were running a little late and called the front desk (which apparently only picks up after between 20 -30 rings) and requested a late checkout. I was again told, NO , and, for the umpteenth time, reminded that their was a convention that weekend. I asked for that employee’s name and was told it was Stephanie Johnson. I asked to speak with a manager and was transferred to yet another manager whose name was Norma. When she got on the phone, she mentioned that they had a convention at the hotel and that they were not allowing late checkouts. I told her that I had had a horrible experience that whole weekend and she almost immediately offered to refund me $50. I told her that it was not about the money and that from start to finish, no one seemed to care for non-convention guests. I told her that I had just spoken with a woman by the name Stephanie who was rude and she informed me that they had no Stephanie working for them. I said that an employee had just told me that her name was Stephanie Johnson. She apologized and assured me that she would look into it. I don’t even know why I cared at this point, but I told her that the shower was terrible and that It felt like I was being sand blasted. About 15 minutes later there was a knock at the door and a hotel maintenance guy asked to come in to fix the water pressure issue. I told him that we only had a few minutes before the hotel managers were throwing us out onto the streets and to please come back later. We had to finish packing! The refrigerator in the room was broken and making really loud noises so I unplugged it almost immediately upon entering the room.

These people are very polite at saying NO. They said NO to us the entire weekend and sincerely did not understand that it is unfair to treat non-convention guests like garbage. I even told the last manager that she was treating me like garbage and she was stupefied and upset. I then had to explain to her that we put our garbage out to the street when we are done and just send it on its way and that that was exactly what she was doing to me. She had a “duhhh” moment and had no response. I plan to copy this letter to corporate and let them know of my experience and how all of the managers seem to be out of touch with reality. I still don’t have my house keys and haven’t yet heard from the manager who was “handling” that situation. I have however received multiple computer generated emails asking me to return and thanking me for my recent stay. I am hopeful that I will receive an email asking me for feedback of my experience, but I am doubtful that it will come as they just don’t seem care.

This place looks nice enough in the lobby, bar and restaurant areas, but that’s it! The rooms have not been re-decorated in forever. If you’re into a nice lobby then this is the place for you, but in my opinion it is not worth the tremendous frustrations that you will encounter for incompetence reins in the MANY managers at the Renaissance Seaworld. Their efficiency experts who are literally in a back room make all the decisions but will not speak with you directly. The managers and staff speak to them via instant messenger.

This place is TERRIBLE! As I’d mentioned in the beginning of this review, I have never had to review a hotel as harshly as this, and I hope I never experience this sort of thing again. I should point out that in every case, I pointed out to these myriad managers that I am a Senior Contributor on TripAdvisor.com and it seemed to make no impression at all .. they just don’t care about us folks! :(

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank GlobesMine

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback on what appears to have been a horrible experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the long list of service failures you experienced. We value all of our guests, both leisure and group and are very disappointed we did not meet your expectations during your birthday weekend celebration with us. As a result of your review we have conducted additional training with our staff on how to handle guest service requests during high occupancy periods. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We also wanted to thank you for taking the time to address these issues by phone with a member of the senior leadership team after posting this review.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I'm not normally one to write a review, but ... this is a nice hotel, with a beautiful pool area. However, we were using reward points and I did not feel that it was worth using extra points to stay here and have to pay for parking and breakfast. We could have stayed at the Courtyard or Fairfield Inn for less points, with free parking, and free breakfast. Also, the pool was supposed to be heated, but we heard different things from different staff members. Some said it was not heated and one said that it was heated to 80 degrees, which was definitely not the case. I'm guessing some do not think it is heated because guests have probably complained about how cold it is. This is a great place for a couple that wants to hang out in the lounge area, but not really kid friendly, other than being across from Sea World and having the kid zone in the pool area (also not heated and closed because it was too cold). The staff was friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean. Also, we had originally requested a room with a view of Sea World because I had read these reviews and thought we would see fireworks. Fireworks are only during holidays and during the summer months.

Room Tip: Like someone else said, if you want natural light, ask for an outside room. However, we switched t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Our pool is heated, and as a result of your review we have shared your feedback with our staff and ensured they are trained on the specifications of the pool to better inform our guests in the future. We pride ourselves on providing a memorable experience to families and couples alike, and we look forward to the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel and service team. Please contact myself, or another member of our management team directly at your earliest convenience. You can reach me at 407-351-5555.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed in a std room. Decor aged and could do with modernisation. Atrium layout of hotel amplifies noise from downstairs bar at 3am so if you're a light sleeper beware. Rooms not particularly business friendly with layout of powerpoints and desk etc. Bed very comfortable and food good so no complaints there.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony D

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed the bed and the food at the hotel. We regret not being able to meet your expectations, and we will definitely use this information to keep improving. Thanks again.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We wanted a hotel close to Sea World so the Renaissance was in a perfect location (it's walking distance to Sea World).

Check-in gave us surprise by offering us a glass of champagne (or sparking wine) a truly nice touch. The staff were also friendly and accommodating. Once we we headed to the room I was struck by the 70's / 80's interior. I'm sure the Renaissance was state-of-the-art pad back in 1984 when it was built. Today it looks a dated.

The room was good. Plenty of space for everyone. The bathroom was fine although the toilet and washbasin are not separated which can hold up morning proceedings!? I was also surprised the wireless internet was $15 per night - far too expensive for 2013! The parking is also expensive at $16 per day (ouch)!

Overall a nice, but not great, hotel ideally located next to Sea World.

1  Thank Steve M

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are happy that you found the location of the hotel very convenient, and enjoyed the space in the rooms. Our prices are in line with the resorts in the area, however, we understand your expectations and we will take it into consideration. Thank you again