“Stunning hotel, wonderful staff, wish I could live here”

Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld
Ranked #76 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Renaissance Hotel is absolutely stunning. I was lucky enough to visit around Christmas, and got see the site decked out in it's winter finest. I was there as part of a bridal party and the staff was so incredibly welcoming and accommodating. The rooms were spotless and spacious, even when we had all of the girls and the bride to get ready. The hotel also has several options for food, drinks, and shopping, which was great when we needed something quick. The grounds are gorgeous as well, featuring a wonderful pool area and two firepits to get cozy around. We also partook of the on site spa, and I was so very glad I did. All of the ladies (and gentlemen!) who worked there were friendly and every treatment they did was stellar. My mani/pedi was beautiful, and the sugar scrub they used as part of the pedicure felt so good.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East/south East face SeaWorld and offer an incredible view of the nightly fireworks.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
RenaissanceGuestSvcs, Manager at Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Thank you for your review of our resort and especially for choosing us on such a special occasion. We are happy to hear that you felt welcome and we will wait for your next visit to delight you at the spa again.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,686)

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our greeting at the Renaissance was warm and friendly and lasted throughout our stay - from doormen, through reception, housekeeping and a superb concierge service.

The public spaces were of a high standard and it was easy to understand how this hotel will be buzzing with life when at full occupancy.

We found our room tired and lacking the touch of luxury and attention to detail the you come to expect in 5 star hotels.

That said the location was great for our stay in Orlando with ready access to the main thoroughfares.

Just one final moment to say how much we appreciated the superb concierge team and their care and attention during our stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My trip to Orlando was for a work conference, so most of my time was spent inside the hotel.
The rooms were clean and spacious, I'd say a little dated, but nothing terrible about them. Great bedding and lots of little extras in the bathroom (seems to be getting more and more rare with hotels). The layout of the conference rooms was easy enough to navigate.
Everyone was extrememly friendly.
The only reason I wouldn't rate this at a 5 is because of the slow service we got at every bar/restaurant.
Both of the lobby bars were fabulous as was the outdoor/patio bar. But no matter how many or how few of us were there, the service at the tables was so so so slow. Someone would come by and then you'd have to hunt them down to get a second drink or appetizer. Every time I sat at the bar, the bartenders were fabulous.

We had a large event in the atrium on Saturday night which was well-staffed. Can't say enough about the quality of food. We had heavy appetizers and all of them were done well. Bars were well-stocked and the service was great.

Nothing much in walking distance besides Sea-World so we left the area each night for group dinners.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
RenaissanceGuestSvcs, Manager at Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for the review! It is nice to hear that you enjoyed the bedding and the amenities in room along with the conference layout. We are also glad that you brought to our attention the lack of speed in the bar/restaurant service, so we can work on improving in that area. We hope you can return soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here on business. The hotel is located right across the street from SeaWorld - a great location if that is your destination. Checkin was excellent and the lobby is vibrant and energetic. The water park and pool looked great - but I did not use them. The rooms were very dated but comfortable and clean.

1  Thank TravelBoomerang
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is my third visit to this property. Been here before for a conference, and again with Ms. Gardiner and Kiddo. This visit was a 5 night stay on leisure, again with the family. Clarity disclosure: I paid hard dollars for the stay, not points. They know my status with Marriott, as well. And, until I checked out and spoke with the Manager on Duty, they would not have known I post to TripAdvisor.

As in previous stays, this property gets top marks for their people. With only one exception (see below) everyone we interacted with was cheerful, eager to please, and professional. I was particularly pleased with the bellman who brought our bags up… Kiddo walked in, spotted a striking/funky chair in the room, and immediately labeled it the “Lady Gaga Chair”. The bellman clicked his fingers and said “That’s it! We’ve been trying to figure out what to call it!” He came back up a few minutes later with a stuffed Shamu and some other stuff, and thanked Kiddo for “naming the chair for us!”. Whether the Ren needed a name for this particular chair is not the point… it’s making a little girl feel like a rockstar.

As we were visiting family in the area, we didn’t take any meals here. We did, though, enjoy the lobby Starbucks in the morning, and the huge lobby bar in the evenings. I found the prices to be reasonable for an Orlando resort property, and the service was crisp. The Starbucks prices were on par with a regular Starbucks, even though this was a licensee location.

The room (and all other facilities we used) were sparkling clean, and well-maintained. We were upgraded to a junior suite (because of my status with Marriott), and the room was nicely kitted out. Comfortable bed, and the sleeper sofa for Kiddo was also good. They have Aveda toiletries, which are among Mrs. Gardiner’s favourites.

The wifi signal was strong in our room, in the lobby area, in the Starbucks, and (amazingly) by the pool. Bonus points for that!

So, all sounds great… but. (And, as frequent readers know, I never give negative feedback here without sharing my issues with a Manager on Duty)

There were four small hiccups that I was concerned with, two of them having to do with the Ren’s vendors.

ONE: There is a Fedex shop on the Lobby level. Since we hit an outlet mall, we had a couple of things to ship home. We had our own box, and our own Fedex account number, so I hoped to just drop the box and go. Not so fast… This Fedex charges a fee of between $10 and $30 just to drop the box… in addition to the shipping costs. The Ren needs to have a chat with their lessee on this one, as it is gratuitous profiteering. There is no value added, as the box just goes on a rack until the Fedex guy gets there. It’s a gouge, and Ren looks poor for abdicating responsibility for the guest experience, and tolerating this abuse of guests.

TWO: Then, there is the gift shop. Kiddo wanted to send a postcard to one of her friends, so we stopped by the Front Desk for a stamp. “We don’t have them, sir… please check with the gift shop”. So, off to the gift shop. Me: “Do you have stamps?” Polite Cashier: “Why, yes, of course, sir!” Me: “Wonderful… I need one post card stamp.” PC: “Oh, I’m sorry, sir… we only sell them in packs of two.” Me: “Fine, I’ll take two stamps, then.” PC: “Certainly, sir… that’s $2.99, plus tax.” Me: “WHAT? <note clean language, Kiddo was with me> Over $3 for 88c in postage? That’s a 200+% markup!!” Net, this is a second area where the GM has abdicated his responsibility for the guest experience to an outside vendor, without thought about the guests perception and the guests experience.

THREE: My third issue had to do with an employee who was ostensibly monitoring the water slides at the pool, but instead was laboring over her smartphone. I watch Kiddo like a hawk when she’s in a pool, so this was simply an HR issue to me.

FOUR: My final issue was the parking fee. The Ren charges $16 per day for self-parking, and the ticket that spits out of the machine asserts (literally) that you are no better off there, than had you parked on the street. It also essentially states that you waive your right to complain should something happen. I did ask the Valet guy at the porte cochere if there was somewhere I could park for free, and he said “No, sir… no where nearby.” In previous stays here, there was NOT a parking charge, so this is a new and unwelcome item. Do this Mr. GM: Bundle your parking with water bottles, or wifi, or free local calls, or whatever. Call it a resort fee like everyone else. Charging $16, and then giving me a written statement that you’re doing absolutely nothing for the money is not the best way to impress me.

So… am I unhappy here? NO. I’m very happy, and will be happy to return to this property in the future. The positives far outweigh my four issues. I highly recommend this property for families, especially due to the across-the-street/walking-distance proximity to SeaWorld, and the quick/easy I-4 access to the Disney properties. I’ve been here for a conference and they handled things there very smoothly.

Room Tip: Do ask about larger rooms... they have different types, and those can be had for upgrade fees.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Chauncey_Gardiner

We definitely appreciate the time you spent to add such detail in your comments, which we value highly. We are also very happy to hear that the hotel staff made the difference (we will definitely work on improving this so that there are no exceptions). We are even happier to know that you would recommend the hotel. Thanks again!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I recently stayed at the Renaissance SeaWorld for a business meeting. The staff amazed me and my co-workers continually. Whether it was just a smile and "hello" when passing each other in the hall or helping you locate a meeting room, they were always friendly and accomodating. Will definitely return!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We really enjoy welcoming our guests, and even more than that, we are delighted to know that we made the difference during your stay. Come back soon!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed recently for company sales meeting, rooms were very clean, staff very helpful with navigating hotel as well as helping arrange dinner meetings off property. Hotel is close enough you can walk or take hotel shuttle to Sea World.

Room Tip: If traveling to Disney with family, I'd recommend a Disney property vs. the Renaissance due to t...