“Another great stay... couple of tiny items.”

Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld
Ranked #77 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is my third visit to this property. Been here before for a conference, and again with Ms. Gardiner and Kiddo. This visit was a 5 night stay on leisure, again with the family. Clarity disclosure: I paid hard dollars for the stay, not points. They know my status with Marriott, as well. And, until I checked out and spoke with the Manager on Duty, they would not have known I post to TripAdvisor.

As in previous stays, this property gets top marks for their people. With only one exception (see below) everyone we interacted with was cheerful, eager to please, and professional. I was particularly pleased with the bellman who brought our bags up… Kiddo walked in, spotted a striking/funky chair in the room, and immediately labeled it the “Lady Gaga Chair”. The bellman clicked his fingers and said “That’s it! We’ve been trying to figure out what to call it!” He came back up a few minutes later with a stuffed Shamu and some other stuff, and thanked Kiddo for “naming the chair for us!”. Whether the Ren needed a name for this particular chair is not the point… it’s making a little girl feel like a rockstar.

As we were visiting family in the area, we didn’t take any meals here. We did, though, enjoy the lobby Starbucks in the morning, and the huge lobby bar in the evenings. I found the prices to be reasonable for an Orlando resort property, and the service was crisp. The Starbucks prices were on par with a regular Starbucks, even though this was a licensee location.

The room (and all other facilities we used) were sparkling clean, and well-maintained. We were upgraded to a junior suite (because of my status with Marriott), and the room was nicely kitted out. Comfortable bed, and the sleeper sofa for Kiddo was also good. They have Aveda toiletries, which are among Mrs. Gardiner’s favourites.

The wifi signal was strong in our room, in the lobby area, in the Starbucks, and (amazingly) by the pool. Bonus points for that!

So, all sounds great… but. (And, as frequent readers know, I never give negative feedback here without sharing my issues with a Manager on Duty)

There were four small hiccups that I was concerned with, two of them having to do with the Ren’s vendors.

ONE: There is a Fedex shop on the Lobby level. Since we hit an outlet mall, we had a couple of things to ship home. We had our own box, and our own Fedex account number, so I hoped to just drop the box and go. Not so fast… This Fedex charges a fee of between $10 and $30 just to drop the box… in addition to the shipping costs. The Ren needs to have a chat with their lessee on this one, as it is gratuitous profiteering. There is no value added, as the box just goes on a rack until the Fedex guy gets there. It’s a gouge, and Ren looks poor for abdicating responsibility for the guest experience, and tolerating this abuse of guests.

TWO: Then, there is the gift shop. Kiddo wanted to send a postcard to one of her friends, so we stopped by the Front Desk for a stamp. “We don’t have them, sir… please check with the gift shop”. So, off to the gift shop. Me: “Do you have stamps?” Polite Cashier: “Why, yes, of course, sir!” Me: “Wonderful… I need one post card stamp.” PC: “Oh, I’m sorry, sir… we only sell them in packs of two.” Me: “Fine, I’ll take two stamps, then.” PC: “Certainly, sir… that’s $2.99, plus tax.” Me: “WHAT? <note clean language, Kiddo was with me> Over $3 for 88c in postage? That’s a 200+% markup!!” Net, this is a second area where the GM has abdicated his responsibility for the guest experience to an outside vendor, without thought about the guests perception and the guests experience.

THREE: My third issue had to do with an employee who was ostensibly monitoring the water slides at the pool, but instead was laboring over her smartphone. I watch Kiddo like a hawk when she’s in a pool, so this was simply an HR issue to me.

FOUR: My final issue was the parking fee. The Ren charges $16 per day for self-parking, and the ticket that spits out of the machine asserts (literally) that you are no better off there, than had you parked on the street. It also essentially states that you waive your right to complain should something happen. I did ask the Valet guy at the porte cochere if there was somewhere I could park for free, and he said “No, sir… no where nearby.” In previous stays here, there was NOT a parking charge, so this is a new and unwelcome item. Do this Mr. GM: Bundle your parking with water bottles, or wifi, or free local calls, or whatever. Call it a resort fee like everyone else. Charging $16, and then giving me a written statement that you’re doing absolutely nothing for the money is not the best way to impress me.

So… am I unhappy here? NO. I’m very happy, and will be happy to return to this property in the future. The positives far outweigh my four issues. I highly recommend this property for families, especially due to the across-the-street/walking-distance proximity to SeaWorld, and the quick/easy I-4 access to the Disney properties. I’ve been here for a conference and they handled things there very smoothly.

Room Tip: Do ask about larger rooms... they have different types, and those can be had for upgrade fees.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Chauncey_Gardiner
RenaissanceGuestSvcs, Manager at Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

We definitely appreciate the time you spent to add such detail in your comments, which we value highly. We are also very happy to hear that the hotel staff made the difference (we will definitely work on improving this so that there are no exceptions). We are even happier to know that you would recommend the hotel. Thanks again!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,686)

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I recently stayed at the Renaissance SeaWorld for a business meeting. The staff amazed me and my co-workers continually. Whether it was just a smile and "hello" when passing each other in the hall or helping you locate a meeting room, they were always friendly and accomodating. Will definitely return!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We really enjoy welcoming our guests, and even more than that, we are delighted to know that we made the difference during your stay. Come back soon!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed recently for company sales meeting, rooms were very clean, staff very helpful with navigating hotel as well as helping arrange dinner meetings off property. Hotel is close enough you can walk or take hotel shuttle to Sea World.

Room Tip: If traveling to Disney with family, I'd recommend a Disney property vs. the Renaissance due to t...
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My wife played the Priceline lottery and got this hotel on a bid in Orlando. What we didn't know is that there is a 17 dollar hidden parking charge at this hotel. I have never, ever, paid to park at a hotel in Orlando.

I am from Florida and have been to Orlando probably a hundred times. I have simply never been charged to park at a hotel I am staying at. Disney doesn't even charge and they are ... Disney.

I am not unreasonable. I would pay to park in San Fran or NYC, but Orlando? It's insane.

When I told the desk about my outrage, always giving a place a chance to make it right, they simply said lots of people complain. They went on to say that the cost of parking is somewhere on their website.

This hidden 17 dollars a day needs to be on the front page of Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank Gooserstein
Reviewed January 18, 2013

What a wonderful gem of a hotel. Right across the street from Seaworld, it has heated pools and 2 hot tubs so year round, it's a great place to relax. Around the block is a CVS Pharmacy in case you need it. The indoor space is really an amazing open space.

If you can get a room facing SeaWorld, you'll have the best view imaginable for the fireworks show!

The rooms are clean, large, and comfortable.

I wish the TVs had Comedy Central. Why they can have NHK (Japanese TV) but not Comedy Central is beyond me.

The breakfast is terrific at the Trade Winds restaurant there with a full omelet station and hot/cold breakfast bar. My biggest rave about this hotel is that they provide a juicer and fruit/veggies so you can make your own healthy drinks. They provide carrots, cucumbers, celery, strawberries, pineapple, cantaloupe, oranges, grapefruit, and more! How delicious.

Another tip: Unplug the refrigerators in the room

I've stayed there 3 times and am making it my top choice in Orlando. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators. you can hear them in the rooms near them and they're a...
3  Thank DanDeMaioNewton

Thank you for posting your review. We are happy to know you had the chance to enjoy the healthy drinks and the rest of the breakfast buffet. We look forward for your next visit.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Wow! You are right across the street from Sea World where the rooms are spacious, super quiet, and the service is...well.......Disneyesque. Everyone is there to make your day. The grounds are georgeous. You will not be dissapointed. Enjoy your stay!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Renaissance Orlando Sea World is located directly across from Sea World, easy to access I-4 & SR 528. The hotel is a little bit older, but it has been well maintained and renovated over the years. The rooms are always clean. They give you plenty of towels in the bathroom, no need to ask for extra. I think they do charge for wifi, but if you get an atrium room you can use the guest lobby wifi thru the window. The rooms are spacious and fairly quiet depending on the time of year. Most of the time it is filled with business travelers so it is a more relaxing stay. They added a new kids pool area last year that looks like it would be really fun for all ages. The sushi bar has really good sushi rolls and the bartenders are very friendly. The fitness center is well equipped and very clean. They also have complimentary sparkling wine at check in. Overall it is a good value to stay here. There is also a Starbucks located in the lobby for a quick breakfast or you can dine at one of the other restaurants in the lobby.

Room Tip: Usually comes up on Priceline in the 4star Sea World Convention Center Name Your Own Price
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business