“Extraordinary Guest Service”

Ranked #86 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
miami beach, fl
“Extraordinary Guest Service”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have just come home from attending a conference at the Renaissance Orlando Airport hotel, and I am taking the time to write because of the outstanding service that I received at this hotel, at every level. When I checked in, I felt that I had just come home - each of the people that greeted me, from the bellhop, to the registration agent, and guest services representative, I was made to feel that I was the only guest that they had been waiting to arrive. As an observer of a kosher diet, I had arranged for my food to be arrived Thursday night, and was immediately told that it had indeed been arrived, and was asked how I wished for the food to be prepared and served. Several banquet staff sought me out to make sure that they knew exactly what I needed, so that they can make sure that I was taken care of properly. The wait staff knew who I was, and made me comfortable when serving me, and everything was done exactly how I had requested. In addition, the housekeeper accommodated my special request to leave the room unlocked and with the lights on so that I did not have to violate my Sabbath restrictions. This hotel obviously has done an excellent job in guest relation training. Besides, it is a beautifully appointed hotel, the room is large and nicely decorated, and the bathroom is large and comfortable. The only complaint that I have is that the pool was unheated and not useable, which was disappointing. The hot tub made up for it, I guess. Otherwise, I had of the most excellent travel experiences in a long time, and I have traveled widely and often over the years.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This property was actually chosen for me for a business trip. It was not a bad location and there was definitely some potential. However after staying there over two straight weekends and experiencing similar issues each time I was left with the impression that it isn't typical Marriott. And I opted to change my next set of travel plans in order to avoid staying here.

First the pros:
The location is great for business travelers.
The staff, for the most part, we courteous and professional.
The food was wonderful but a bit on the pricey side.

But then the cons:
Over both weekends the A/C in my room failed. I like my room to be ice cold. The second night of the second stay is was cooler in the hallway by at least 10 degrees. I phoned the front desk and they "had it reset" which ultimately led to the thing coming on for awhile but it never got what I would consider even comfortable in there, much less cold.
A HUGE roach went scampering across the floor. Mind you I was on the 8th floor so he didn't come from some neighboring trees or anything. This thing was probably one of many nesting inside of the walls. And it is not a good sign when it comes to cleanliness.
I needed constant Internet for the work I was doing. Unfortunately it kicked me off at least once per day. Each time meant having to sign back in - which meant calling the help desk again in order to get it reset.
The cost add up quickly. Parking = $11; Internet = $9.95. These charges are per day. The first day I was there I was unable to get out of the parking lot. I entered my key and the gate would not open. I pushed the help button only to find that the attendant could not hear me. This caused me to run late to the class I was teaching.
They put $50 per day on your credit card for "incidentals". No problem, right? Other than the fact that, for some unknown reason the $100 for my two day stay become $320.76. This even though my room was paid for. And it takes some five days to get a refund. A call to the person in charge of this netted no real help or info. Her initial message indicated she was "out discovering" whatever that means. Perhaps she needs to discover that a two day stay at $50 per day is only $100, not $320.76. Add this to the amount of time it takes to issue the refund and one cannot help but wonder if they are paying income taxes on the interest they no doubt accrue while holding monies in this manner.

In short sum, there are WAY too many options locally. Orlando has thousands of rooms available. I have stayed in several of them and NEVER had such issues. Not once but both weekends I was there. Yes, the food was excellent and the staff on site were professional but these two positives don't even come close to making up for all of the negatives. I would urge you find another property. Shop around. I found a Comfort Suites only 2 miles away that includes free parking, free internet, free breakfast, and is $30 less per night for the room alone. Needless to say I have changed my reservations and won't be going back to the roach motel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. Avoid this one. There is your best tip.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JWils0n
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stopped in Orlando for a weekend to celebrate my grown son's birthday - so staying near the Orlando airport seemed the most convenient for both of us. Hotel is OK, seems to be showing some wear and tear - so it is probably overdue for a refresh. Rooms were average and since it was a weekend, the concierge lounge was not open (do not understand why it is not open all the time) and we could only use it for breakfast Monday morning. The desk staff was very friendly when I checked in and promised several amenities (i.e. free parking) when I arrived due to my elite membership status. Only when I checked out, some of those items were charged anyway - even got charged for services from another room. Desk person seemed confused and did not understand how to correct the overcharges - so had to ask for assistance from the manager. Luckily, we spent most of the weekend away from the hotel and only slept there; location was convenient - but other than that, will look for another hotel next time I'm in town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is a reasonable 3+ Star hotel. But, after staying here through Priceline, I have decided to avoid 3-and-above Star hotels. While Renaissance wants Priceline's business, they treat their customers poorly at best. I now shoot for 2 1/2 Star Hotels. That way, I get a good property, but avoid the condescending "service" at higher-star hotels.

From the beginning, I was made to wait as long as possible for a room, while other customers were able to check in. I had driven all night from Memphis and arrived in the early afternoon. They finally let me check in after others had. When it was time to check out, they were on me hard, calling constantly trying to get me out. They had even "authorized" an extra hour, but that didn't stop them from going at me.

Entirely unacceptable. The hotel was okay, but their Customer Service was predatory. Avoid!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank jmilleratp
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

we went here for a weekend getaway. we planned to stay 2 or 3 nights. the first room we were assigned to i checked the sheets and there were 2 nasty spots and the shower had black in the tile. we were sent to another room in the middle of the night. doing the night we discovered blood on the toilet. we packed and left the next morning. the manager promised to compensate us with additional points which turned out to be a lie. we use marriott a lot this is the first disappointment we have had. the staff was nice. the hotel is pretty, but i will never go there again

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank liz h
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Overall efficient and friendly staff, in particular the waitress in the bar and at breakfast. Rooms spacious, very comfy bed especially after a long flight. View from room was over the air conditioning plant but as we were only staying one night this was not a big deal.

They need to sort out the air conditioning in the corridors as the heat hit you as soon as you walked out of your room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Alachua, Florida
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Today I completed a hotel inspection of the $40M renovation at the Renaissance Hotel - Orlando Airport. Featuring soundproof rooms with immaculate "faux moderne" furnishings, elegant grand lobby with waterfall and dedicated Marriott lounge this hotel has it all. If you are traveling for business or just flying in for a cruise on Victory Casino Cruises in Port Canaveral you will be delighted with the excellent staff and amenities. Great for family groups!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business