“Newly remodeled - great stay!!”

Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel
Ranked #86 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Bedford, Indiana
“Newly remodeled - great stay!!”
Reviewed February 24, 2008

I was "unfortunate" to be "stranded" in Orlando on Feb 22, thanks to a winter storm in the midwest.

My travel agent booked me with a last minute reservation at the Renaissance Orlando Airport hotel.

I arrived at the Renaissance to find a party in the lobby - they were celebrating their grand re-opening after a complete end-to-end remodel. The party included free food & drink along with some live entertainment. The party looked like fun, but I wasn't in the mood and headed out for a nice quiet dinner. The party was over when I returned a few hours later. I'm sure a good time was had by all.

The room was very clean and comfortable. The decor was classy and modern. The queen sized bed was soft and very comfortable. The bathroom was large and included a phone next to the toilet. I'm sure some people find that helpful, but I think it's just gross.

The fitness center, like everything else, was freshly remodeled and included several brand spanking new cross country ski machines, treadmills, and bikes. There was also a weightlifting machine. All of the machines included personal LCD television screens.

The free continental breakfast for Marriott Gold members in the 9th floor lounge was nice.

While this location is not quite as convenient to the airport as the Hyatt inside the terminal, it is a close second.

A note of advice for those with rental cars: the nearest gas station is (in)famous for its price gouging - they routinely charge at least $1 more per gallon than two other gas stations just a half mile further down the road.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the $9.95 charge for internet service
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed January 23, 2008

We used a free night at a Marriott category 5 hotel and Marriott points to book 2 nights at Renaissance Orlando at the airport. We could have stayed at the one at Sea World but my husband wanted one with a concierge floor which was not guaranteed to us but my husband usually gets an upgrade as he is a Marriott silver member. We had booked a king bed and, after checking in early at 1pm, found that not only did the front desk clerk not want to give us concierge privileges but, when we opened the door to our room, found it had 2 beds. So we went back down to the lobby and spoke to someone else at the front desk. She checked and said that the only room available with a king bed was a handicapped room. She assured us that, except for the bathroom, it was exactly the same room. She also gave us concierge floor privileges. So up to the new room to find that it also had 2 beds. She apologized and said that it was a computer glitch. She said that a king bed room will open up later and, if we didn't mind, we could leave our bags in the second room and freshen up and then change rooms when we returned later. I thought that was a great suggestion. Upon returning later that evening, the new room was ready and it did have a king bed. It's not a large room but it had a very comfortable bed. The drapes did close all the way. The bathroom was nicely laid out. Very small closet and no drawers. Basically there were sliding doors covering shelves in the cabinet under the tv. For 2 nights it wasn't a problem but it would have been if we were there for more nights. Parking was never a problem. Overall it's a nice hotel for the location but nothing outstanding.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Stark, modern lobby
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Louisville KY
Reviewed November 10, 2007

Great Hotel! This property is very upscale and is newly renovated. The property is ulta shiek with vibrant colors throughout the hotel and the restaurant on site is fabulous. Great location to the airport and convenient to all the attractions. I was in town on business and really felt pampered. The staff was very helpful and all I came in contact with were very friendly from the desk to the restaurant staff. The only downside was they were still finishing up some of the renovations and although it was not obtrusive, you knew the workers were there. I would definately come back here with my wife and spend more time seeing the sites. Orlando is a neat city with lots of things happening!

• Liked — Service, eclectic feel of property, staff.
  • Disliked — Finishing up renovations
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Cardinals1970
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 10, 2007

Delta canceled our LaGuardia flight so we were left scrambling to find a last minute place to stay at the airport. We were in by 8pm and out at 6am so I can't say I remember too much about the place other thatn a) it was being renovated and was about 97% completed and b) the people who worked there from the shuttle guy to the check-in guy to the restaurant hostess were really, really, really nice.

Listen. It's an airport hotel. And I like airport hotels (check out my review of the LAX Marriott and Portland, Maine Embassy Suites.) But being about a mile or two away from the hotel you never actually hear any planes or see any runways.

The hotel is being renovated and by the time it's done it'll be a nice looking hotel although I'm worried that 5 years from now it'll look as dated as do the pictures that are now associated with the hotel. The building itself looks like something out of the 60's and I'm very surprised that Marriott has kept the Rennaissance branding with this property. They should have called it Courtyard by Marriott and had people raving about "what a great property."

Rooms were very, very well appointed and comfortable. We got a great rate of $89 a night because we were "interrupted passengers" (and I'm convinced Delta got some sort of a kickback because we had to have a code and call a special 800 number!)

I had a beer and a sandwich from the restaurant and it was delicious and by hotel standards it was a bargain, $12 including tax.

No one goes out of their way to stay at an airport hotel. But if you have to you can count on this place to deliver a clean, pleasant experience at a good space.

Uliimately not the most helpful review but you have to appreciate that this stay was against my will under awkward circumstances!

• Liked — Renovated, safe, clean and extremely friendly and courteous staff.
  • Disliked — It's still an old building that is being renovated and despiate the glitz it sill doesn't feel like a Renaissance!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
13 Thank Frqflier
California's Central Valley
Reviewed September 1, 2007

Booking hotels for my trips to Orlando through Hotwire has been great for me. I've stayed in many nice hotels and always get my money's worth. This time, with the Renaissance Orlando Airport, was a little interesting. Let me tell you why....

After finding that my Hotwire search had netted this Marriott hotel, I searched TripAdvisor for reviews. Many people commented on this Marriot hotel's remodeling. And in August of 2007, they are finishing their remodel. The entire place is going to be beautiful. The room we stayed in was large, lovely, had a very comfortable King bed, and the bath was clean and modern looking. The room included a refrigerator and microwave, free wireless internet, and the AC was cool and running perfectly.
Front desk check-in was easy and friendly. We used the airport shuttle twice, and that ran on time and had great drivers.
About 8:30 in the morning, we could hear some hammering and a saw from the workers down in the lobby, but it wasn't too loud and it didn't really bother us.

The restaurant is getting remodeled also, and that's where I would have to change my personal rating of this hotel from a 4* to about a 2*. We were ushered down a hallway to the makeshift restaurant, which we thought was going to be an "order off the menu" type of place. They've set up breakfast in a meeting room and the breakfast was layed out buffet-style on tables around the room. We asked about menus and were told there was just breakfast buffet and did we want coffee and juice? We did. So many nice motels in Florida have a breakfast included with the room that we were happy to find the same here. The Airport Wingate has a similar set-up. There were breads & biscuits, fruit and scrambled eggs. There were country potatoes, plus bacon and sausage. We helped ourselves and got ready to leave. I complimented the wait-person clearing the tables on the food, telling her that it was a step above the normal free breakfast in Orlando. She replied that it was $13.95 per person!

Well, to make a long tedious story short, after she called over the Dining Room manager and the hostess, who both agreed that there were no signs stating the price, no menus with the price, and no MENTION of the price when we were seated, that they Should have done things differently. I was very annoyed to pay that much for this breakfast. And I countered that, had we been told the price on entering the room, we would have chosen to eat elsewhere. For an "included with your room" breakfast, it was great. For $9.50 per person, it would be a decent choice. But for almost $14.00, I would absolutely pass. And if I had had a few children to pay for too, the price would have been scary.
We paid. We tipped for table cleanup. They gave my husband 15% off the total when he paid, but this breakfast snafu left a bad taste in our mouths and dimmed the light of an otherwise very nice hotel.

• Liked — Convenience to Airport and the Rooms were Extremely Comfortable!
  • Disliked — Restaurant staff had no interest in customer satisfaction
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank RedCa
California
Reviewed August 9, 2007

I recently stayed here for business for a week. While I knew the hotel was under renovation, being a Gold member, I knew I would have an updated room. I was on the 8th floor. Here are the good things and things I would improve.

Good:
- Room was clean and laid out nice. The bed was comfortable, the pillows good and plentiful, the fridge came in handy for late night drinks.
- The "confirmation" wake up call (the live call after the pre-recorded message) was nice.
- The entire staff was friendly and pleasant.
- The location was good for both my work and to the airport.
- There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance ( a good walk).

Now for things I would improve:
- There are only about 15 channels on the TV, most of them news. Other Renaissance's I have stayed at usually have at least 30. There was a problem with ESPN (no sound) for 4 days before it was corrected.
- The sleep timer does not work on the TV.
- The breakfast buffet was the exact menu every day. Some variety would be nice.
- The room service menu had changed but there was not an updated menu in the room (it was brought to me on the last day of my stay).
- When ordering room service, the phone rang without answer. I had to go down to the front counter to order (once I placed my order, the service to my room was fast). This is when I found out I had the outdated menu.

I know that most of these issues will be corrected once construction is complete. I did not hear any construction during my stay. Of course I was out by 8:00 and back after 6:00 pm.

I would stay there again during construction if my business called for it.

• Liked — Location, Staff
  • Disliked — No sleep timer on TV
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank 1Kman
agent
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We stayed at the Orlando Renaissance Airport because we had an early morning flight. I received a great rate of $59 ($72 with tax) on Hotwire.com. The hotel is in serious renovation mode. Our 2nd story room was nice, but we were unable to take a nap due to the noise of the construction. The noise lasted until 6:00 PM. The staff was very nice and accommodating. The airport shuttle runs 24 hours a day at the half hour.

I think this will be a good hotel once the construction is completed. I would probably stay there again.

• Liked — close the the airport
  • Disliked — under construction
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple