“This property needs some help”

DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown
Ranked #156 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband and I visited this hotel on a trip to see our son. We were disappointed with our stay and will most likely choose another property on our next visit. I cannot complain about the food and beverage department or valet sevice. Those preformed as anticipated, but other departments did not meet up to my other Doubletree experiences. Well that was until on the second day when I called the 800 customer care line for Hilton. I had never had to ask for customer service beyond the manager at a hotel before, EVER. After I called and everything started to flow beautifully. But it did take that call. I will give one example; we arrive, check in and attempt to set a wake up call for the morning. I go over the the phone, look at the pre-set numbers and press the one labeled "wake up call". I hear the phone dialing and I get an automated answer for Sheraton reservations. Yes the competition. I try it again, same response. I acknowledge that I am jet lagged and ask my husband to try it. He does and gets the same result. So I call down to the front desk and explain the scenario. They tell me I must have dialed incorrectly. Really? Without getting into it, I asked if they could set my wake up call. They did. It worked, but I didn't need it. Our neighbor was an early riser and rude about it. We ended up changing rooms, which I am pleased that Doubletree could accommodate. But that took a little effort too. We did have a problem with the wake up call system again, where it failed us. But Doubletree tried to make up with a apology letter and breakfast for my family. It is appreciated. This could all be due to the renovations going on and tempory, but everything put together soured my opinion.

Room Tip: There is a train that goes by. Not frequently, but you can hear it. Great restaurants nearby help...
1  Thank MissEileen
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing your challenges with the hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed your Food & Beverage experience and our proximity to other local fare. I am grateful that you have let us know about the connection problem with the wake-up call line, this was very helpful in identifying a problem we were not aware we were having and have been able to repair immediately. We will use this to train our team in order to provide a better guest service experience.
With much appreciation,
Doubletree by Hilton Orlando Downtown

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown

Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel is ok. The employees have been fairly nice. Not very knowledgeable but nice. I called to ask what the store hours for the store in the lobby were and the girl said "I don't know! He just comes and goes as he pleases. It no set hours!" really??? The rooms are kinda dirty. My daughter plays on the floor for a few minutes and is then very dirty! The furniture is mix matched and the ONE chair in our room (a small chair for the desk) has holes in it! Several light bulbs are burnt out. The absolute WORST issue is the noise!!! I could seriously hear our neighbor pee!!! The hallway noise is the worst I have ever heard. I actually ended ended up having a verbal altercation with some women that were staying across the hall from me that liked to come in at 3am. The hotel employees didn't seem to care about them disturbing guest either. Even the nice little lady next to us came out and asked them to be quite. BUT THE TRAIN!!!! The train comes through several times a day and several times at night!!! And they don't just blow the horn a few times!!! Oh no!!! It is a TON of times!!! It wakes me up EVERYTIME!!! And I'm a very heavy sleeper! No microwave. No refrigerator. You can rent one for $10 a night though! Parking is terrible! $15 a night plus a nice LONG walk including 2 different elevators! I like Hilton but I will not be choosing this hotel again! Beware! You also aren't close to ANYTHING really!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Jjw2009
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

We appreciate hearing about your experience. Every piece of insight is an opportunity to improve upon and your comments will definitely help us with training and development of our team.
We are undergoing room renovations and currently have our 4th and 5th floor out for complete remodeling. We plan on making each room a completely new product so by the end of the year we are replacing the worn furniture product in the rooms, to not delay improve our guest experience.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

We have had the opportinuty to stay at this hotel on several occasions as my husband is a patient of the nearby cancer center. The staff is efficient and wonderful always happy to fulfill an extra request. The lobby is peaceful and well decorated with a convenient full service Starbucks. The very best part of the stay is the amazing bed - better than mine at home, and the large,fluffy towels.
The location of the hotel has easy access to the highway; but yet it feels apart from the daily traffic.
The rooms overlook the lake and have either pretty sunrises or sunsets depending on the location.
Some areas are being renovated(no noise);however, the reasonable price of the hotel offsets the minor inconvenience. The Double Tree by Hilton Orlando Downtown makes the stay comfortable and relaxed.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We really appreciate you taking the time to write your thoughts about the Doubletree by Hilton Orlando Downtown. We are very happy that you enjoy the time you spend with us and that the improvements we are making to the facility are not affecting our guest experience!

We look forward to your next stay with us and wish your husband well, soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The property was terrific, the service was excellent in particular the restaurant especially our food service lady named "Jackie" and the food was great. We were there for the business of rest not looking for entertainment and it fit our needs exactly.

Room Tip: very comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank victor b
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for your kind review, we will especially pass on teh compliment to our lounge server. Have a wonderful and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Overall, hotel isn't bad. A bit under renovations, but the only thing that really affects is that it takes an extra 3 mins to get to the pool. Hotel is fairly clean, but the walls are super thin (very easy to hear people on both sides if they're at all loud). Garage is $15/day but can often find street parking there especially if getting there early. It's not in the center of downtown, but right off I-4, making it easy to get to anywhere and 5 mins from the actual downtown of Orlando.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher up floor for more quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DEtraveler83
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I booked this trip through etoursandtravels.com and was promised a grand stay at the luxurious Doubltree by Hilton in Downtown Orlando. To put this mildly, I was extremely disappointed. First of all, if it is too good to be true, I have certainly learned now, it really IS! This hotel quality could not surpass that of a Super 8. The lamps were broken, the AC did not work very well, half of the electrical outlets were nonfunctional, which sucked because we had to unplug the tv in order to charge our cell phones. If you want a microwave, you have to pay an additional $10 a night for it. If you want a fridge, you have to request it. If you want a washcloth, you have to request them. I stayed for 4 nights, and I had to call the front desk EACH night for wash cloths. We had 2 days without hot water! After touring Orlando in July…trust me, you need a hot shower, and washcloths to lather up some good soap! The iron leaked – do not add water for steam---will ruin your clothes. Had to go to 4th floor by the elevator, and then walk up 2 flights of stairs to enter their “spa” and pool on the 6th floor. Was very dirty looking along the way and nasty! Reminded me of a horror movie! The web site offered an Olympic-Sized pool, but was no bigger than one at a Super 8 or any other low quality hotel.
On the 2nd morning of no hot water, I called the front desk to find out when they expected it to be fixed. I had not had a proper shower the night before and would like one obviously before I headed back out to enjoy my vacation. She informed me that they were working on it and she did not know for sure. I asked her what she suggested I do – if there was another room or area I could shower, thinking that maybe it was only my floor. She informed me that there was nothing she could do about the water situation. I let her know then that I was not happy about the “situation.” She THEN offered me to come down to the front desk to pick up coupons for me and my family to have a complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. I did not see how that would fix my problem, yet I accepted.
The breakfast was delicious, and I was feeling a little more upbeat. I tied my hair back and my family and I went out to enjoy the rest of our day and forget about the hotel catastrophe.
We returned around 3:00, and I saw that our room was not cleaned yet. I am a very neat person. The maid truly did not have much to do in our room but take out the trash, replace the towels and coffee, and make the beds. This being our third night, and in the last two, I have had to call the front desk to send up wash cloths, I wrote a kind note and placed it on the closed toilet lid in the bathroom to please leave 5 washcloths. (My husband and I like fresh washcloths in the morning to wash our faces.) We left the room so the maid could do her/his job and when we returned after 6:00, once again, we had NO washcloths. The water was fixed and I after I called the front desk for some washcloths (they only gave me 3) I was finally able to shower before going out for dinner.
On the morning of our departure, I awoke at 7:30 a.m. to find a check –out slip pushed under the door which stated that there was no need to go to the front desk, and we could simply leave the keys in the room. All we had to do was call to let them know when we were leaving. I wondered why, if they could slide this under the door, then why they couldn’t have slid the coupons -for that complimentary breakfast to amend the water situation-under the door? What if I had listened to my husband and not called to find out about the water that morning and let the receptionist know how I felt about it? What about all of the others in the hotel who was equally upset and did not call to complain? What about the people who left that morning?
My point is, do not be fooled by the name. This hotel is not a high-end, luxurious hotel by no means. The lobby IS beautiful, but that is the only thing grand about this hotel. I recommend the Sheraton on International Drive. The last time my family and I stayed in Orlando, we stayed there and it was spectacular! (5 stars!)

Room Tip: The last time my family and I stayed in Orlando, we stayed there and it was spectacular! (5 stars!)
4  Thank mlissajc
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

We apologize for the unfortunate emergency water situation that occurred during your stay with us. Thankfully the hotel team reacted quickly during this emergency and had the water repaired same day but unfortunately it was not time enough to make your stay better. With the water having to be shut off to the entire building it did hinder our laundry services as well. We provide the express checkout as a convenience for our guests departure and when we provide breakfast coupons to aid in guest satisfaction it our intention to speak with you personally at that time. W have learned that we need to improve communication during a challenging situation to our guests and again we thank you for helping us to improve.
Well wishes,

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We had called the week prior to make sure thay we could be in a room that had Queens instead of doubles. The lady told me not to downgrade because" Priceline had set me up for a corner king room with pull out couch."..We went to our room and there was one King room only. They said there was not any rooms with 2 beds so had to find a room with a king and pull out bed. The guy who helped us was so angry he was shaking and was unable to talk to me...Other guests were all in the same shape there were only 2 people working in the whole hotel and one luggage rack to share for the whole hotel in which they charged you 15.00 to park and take your own luggage from the parking garage to the hotel room....To top it off the hotel was out of hot water for 2 day!!!No showers 4 stars is way overated I got better at 2 star hotels!!!!

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel ... You are at their mercy even if you make reservations ahead. They do n...
5  Thank Marisa B
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of the challenges you experienced during your stay. We sincerely apologize for the circumstance that left you feeling dissatisfied with your stay and for the inconvenience of being here when our hot water main malfunctioned. Thankfully the hotel team reacted quickly during this emergency and had the water repaired same day but unfortunately it was not time enough to make your stay better. Again your comments are very appreciated as they will serve to help us improve our service in every department, we do hope that you will give us an opportunity to prove that to you, one day.
Best regards,