“DoubleTree: A Great Value For Family Gatherings”

DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown
Ranked #153 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed for three nights this month as part of our family reunion. The DoubleTree gave us a wonderful group rate which included a full buffet breakfast.

Room: The room was perfect for our family. The "sweet dreams" pillows were a nice touch. Everything was clean and well-maintained.

Food/drinks: The included breakfast was great for hungry mouths -- and I loved the fresh squeezed OJ. I also enjoyed the onsite Starbucks kiosk which had caffeine for me and milder drinks for my daughter. Another perk of the hotel is warm chocolate chip cookies upon check in -- however, they were made with nuts. We weren't informed of that until I looked at the cookies. (My family is nut allergic, so sadly the treats went in the garbage.)

Service: The front greeter and bellhop/valet staff were extremely warm and helpful. Their service rivaled some 4-5 star hotels I've stayed at.

Location: While not near Disney, it was close to the other charm of Orlando -- lots of independent restaurants and boutiques. We especially loved being so close to Ethos Vegan Kitchen and Infusion Tea -- two shops we wouldn't have entered were we closer to Maingate.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Some girlfriends and I came out of town to stay in Orlando for a girls weekend. We have stayed at this hotel before, when it was the Sheraton Downtown Orlando. It was a pleasant experience then.

This stay was pretty awesome. Unfortunately, you have to pay for parking ... self parking or valet. But this isn't anything out of the norm, as parking ANYWHERE in downtown Orlando - even at a hotel - is going to cost you something. Any hotel in downtown Orlando that doesn't charge for parking is a rare find.

The rooms were clean and very nice. We opted for a suite, since there were more of us. The suites were VERY roomy and with four women in one room, we never felt like we didn't have space. We had some friends visit for the day and even with two extra ladies, visiting - we still had plenty of room. If you can pay the extra for a suite, you should.

Also if you are looking for a hotel, that's near downtown festivities .. then this is a great hotel to be at. It's affordable, nice and even has a STARBUCKS inside of it! This will probably become our mainstay, hotel whenever we are in downtown Orlando. It's two miles from the Amway Center (the new one) - which we drove too. The hotel DOES offer a shuttle, but we chose to drive since we weren't sure which time we would be returning back to the hotel and the shuttle stopped running at 11pm.

All in all, we would stay here again! And the hot cookies at check in, just made it that much more pleasant!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2011

My husband and I visited this hotel for our anniversary vacation. Overall, We were terribly disappointed. As far as high points, all of the staff was exceptionally nice and helpful. We were greeted by a buffet of snacks, rolls, cheeses, fruits, veggies, etc. which was great after a day of travelling. However, our stay went downhill. We got stuck on the elevator (on the 13th floor, of course!) which took them over 20 minutes to get us off. The vending machines on all of the floors are sold out of water or out if order, and took my money. The shuttle was extremely inconsistent, and they told us that they wouldn't pick us up from our location because there was a concert that night and they would be driving concert-goers (with no info about this beforehand). When we tried to get a shuttle to the bus station to get to our plane to go home, they told us we the driver was "unavailable" for an hour and a half. Overall, we were not happy with our stay and will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Shellilynn
MarkMoravec, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

Thank you for writing comments regarding your experience with us! I truly value this feedback as issues such as what you experienced with inconsistent shuttle service provide us the opportunity to not only conduct training for our associates, but also to identify an area where a process needs improvement. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the memorable anniversary experience that both you and I expect to be provided when staying with DoubleTree and hope that you will give us another opportunity to deliver an outstanding stay. In apology for these challenges, I would like to extend a service recovery certificate to you for future use. Please contact me directly at your convenience to arrange the details for this at (407) 802-3463 Feel free to contact me directly so that I may assist you personally with your future reservations needs at the DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown Hotel.

Warmest Regards,
Mark Moravec
DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Me and a group of girls wanted to meet up at a hotel in downtown Orlando to get ready for a concert together (since we all live in different parts of Orlando and are working on different schedules). Everything was perfect at the hotel! Our room was great! We had enough space for all of our stuff (which was everywhere), we had enough towels (for showers, make up, and cleaning!!), ice was right around the corner, a great view of the city, a spot to hook up the mp3 player, and even the mirrors were great (enough mirror space for 4 girls is difficult!). When we first got there I ordered some food from the restaraunt which was reasonably priced and tasted great! Then later we had some fruit, cheese, and champagne brought up for snacking and we were so silly to even need someone to come up and help us open up the bottle!!! As we were leaving we realized that the hotel actually set up snacks in the lobby for everyone too! So I grabbed a little desert on the way out. The shuttle was another definite plus! We just called on our way downstairs and it was outside waiting to take us to the arena. We all went out clubbing afterward and got back to the hotel around 1 or so. We took a taxi back to the hotel which was like $8 with a tip. This hotel was great and the staff was awesome too! I will definitely stay here in the future! I am even planning my friends bachelorette party in one of the suites here because of how everything worked out on my last stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This hotel is very lovely. My only complaint was that my bed had an odor as if the sheets weren't changed before we checked-in. I didn't have time to complain about it as I was only intown for a Sade show and had to rush off to the show and then again in morning to head out. Our room had a view of the pool which looked very inviting. We also did hear a train from time to time which was not disruptive to my sleep but might have been for light sleepers. The front desk staff were friendly and helped us get to the show.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I was back here on a business trip because the "boss" picked the hotel as a meeting place for our three small groups to meet. I'm glad he did. I stayed here in March when this was a Sonesta and enjoyed it. Now that Hilton recently took it over and made it a Doubletree it over it is even better -- with more reasonable prices.

The first thing that was apparent was the attitude of the staff -- they bent over backwards to make the stay pleasant. Doris was behind the desk in the morning when I checked in and each morning I was there and she is worth her weight in gold, as is Elaina who works in the afternoons and evenings. Expect to be greeted with a huge smile, and one of their warm chocolate chip walnut cookies from the bottomless cookie drawer. There was a minor mechanical problem in the first room I was given. I was willing to accept the room but Doris simply switched rooms rather than have me wait for the repair person, and even gave me the key to check it before we switched. She also made sure I had a refrigerator for my medications.

The only problem I had was with my room keys (I went through 11 in the 5 days I was there). Each time they made me extra so that when one would stop working I could still get into my room. I've noticed that this is something that a lot of hotels have with the keyless entry systems lately. The staff felt it was a defective set of keys and they were switching to a different brand while I was there. The new ones worked better.

This is a hotel in transition. Some of changes are apparent (like some new carpeting) and others they promise will come shortly (like renovated rooms). My room already had a new mattress that was very comfortable. The present WIFI is TERRIBLE! I could not get fast enough connection speeds on most days to even check my e-mail. However, I watched the technician installing the wiring for the new WIFI which the hotel promises will be the fastest in town. The managers had a reception on Wednesday afternoon and talked about the new carpeting, furniture, and bathroom renovations that will be coming.

They have a business center between the first floor elevators and bar area that has several computers with extremely fast internet connections connected to a printer which can be used without charge for registered guests. Two nice features are the time clock on each of the computers that keeps people from "hogging" it, and the feature that completely clears the cache of anything you did when you log out of it (which prevents anyone from stealing your data).

At my level of Hilton Honors the breakfast buffet was included in the room rate and it was good. They did not complain about fixing me poached eggs instead of the furnished scrambled eggs. Besides eggs it included bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, hot and cold cereal, a rotation of French toast, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, and the usual breads. The coffee was strong.

I was told that the hotel restaurant has a new chef and the food I had was good, but pricey. That's OK because the hotel provides a free shuttle (tips encouraged) to the many nearby restaurants that are 2-3 miles from the hotel. David and Gary were the drivers we used each evening. They are very friendly, knowledgeable, and honest about what they know about the various places.

Much has been said about the train tracks. As you can see from my pictures, I could see them out of my window on the 11th floor. They are just beyond the pool. Yes, the trains are frequent during the day, and one or two at night. I found that pulling the room darkening blinds helped block the sound.

The halls can be noisy. This is a large hotel with a variety of guests. The first of a family reunion crowd checked in on the last night of my stay and the 2-6 year old children were having "races" up and down the hall until about 11:00 p.m. When I opened my door to see what was going on I was greeted by a kindly grandmother type who looked at me with horror and apologized profusely. She told me that they thought the family had the entire floor and were letting the kids (many of which hadn't see each other in months) run off their steam so they would go to sleep. She quickly herded them into the room and it became suddenly quiet. I bet the hotel wishes all grandmothers were like that!

The bed was very comfortable and has a table on each side. You can see my extension cord going to one outlet so I could plug things in on that side of the bed. If you have several items to plug in I would suggest that you bring at least a 6' extension cord or two. The table in front of the window does not have an outlet.

My group is scheduled for several more meetings here over the next few months. I hope they keep sending me back here. It made a nice "home away from home."

One last note: There is a large 15 story office building across the street from the hotel that has one of the best NY style delicatessens that I've ever eaten at. It is small and priced so the hundreds of office workers will eat there regularly. They are open for breakfast and lunch.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel on a business trip and will definitly be back! Great staff, service and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! I also appreciated the FREE high speed wireless internet in a full service hotel, something I dont see too often in my travels.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business