“Better than Sonesta”

GreenLeadersSilver level
BirminghamAL
“Better than Sonesta”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I was back here on a business trip because the "boss" picked the hotel as a meeting place for our three small groups to meet. I'm glad he did. I stayed here in March when this was a Sonesta and enjoyed it. Now that Hilton recently took it over and made it a Doubletree it over it is even better -- with more reasonable prices.

The first thing that was apparent was the attitude of the staff -- they bent over backwards to make the stay pleasant. Doris was behind the desk in the morning when I checked in and each morning I was there and she is worth her weight in gold, as is Elaina who works in the afternoons and evenings. Expect to be greeted with a huge smile, and one of their warm chocolate chip walnut cookies from the bottomless cookie drawer. There was a minor mechanical problem in the first room I was given. I was willing to accept the room but Doris simply switched rooms rather than have me wait for the repair person, and even gave me the key to check it before we switched. She also made sure I had a refrigerator for my medications.

The only problem I had was with my room keys (I went through 11 in the 5 days I was there). Each time they made me extra so that when one would stop working I could still get into my room. I've noticed that this is something that a lot of hotels have with the keyless entry systems lately. The staff felt it was a defective set of keys and they were switching to a different brand while I was there. The new ones worked better.

This is a hotel in transition. Some of changes are apparent (like some new carpeting) and others they promise will come shortly (like renovated rooms). My room already had a new mattress that was very comfortable. The present WIFI is TERRIBLE! I could not get fast enough connection speeds on most days to even check my e-mail. However, I watched the technician installing the wiring for the new WIFI which the hotel promises will be the fastest in town. The managers had a reception on Wednesday afternoon and talked about the new carpeting, furniture, and bathroom renovations that will be coming.

They have a business center between the first floor elevators and bar area that has several computers with extremely fast internet connections connected to a printer which can be used without charge for registered guests. Two nice features are the time clock on each of the computers that keeps people from "hogging" it, and the feature that completely clears the cache of anything you did when you log out of it (which prevents anyone from stealing your data).

At my level of Hilton Honors the breakfast buffet was included in the room rate and it was good. They did not complain about fixing me poached eggs instead of the furnished scrambled eggs. Besides eggs it included bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, hot and cold cereal, a rotation of French toast, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, and the usual breads. The coffee was strong.

I was told that the hotel restaurant has a new chef and the food I had was good, but pricey. That's OK because the hotel provides a free shuttle (tips encouraged) to the many nearby restaurants that are 2-3 miles from the hotel. David and Gary were the drivers we used each evening. They are very friendly, knowledgeable, and honest about what they know about the various places.

Much has been said about the train tracks. As you can see from my pictures, I could see them out of my window on the 11th floor. They are just beyond the pool. Yes, the trains are frequent during the day, and one or two at night. I found that pulling the room darkening blinds helped block the sound.

The halls can be noisy. This is a large hotel with a variety of guests. The first of a family reunion crowd checked in on the last night of my stay and the 2-6 year old children were having "races" up and down the hall until about 11:00 p.m. When I opened my door to see what was going on I was greeted by a kindly grandmother type who looked at me with horror and apologized profusely. She told me that they thought the family had the entire floor and were letting the kids (many of which hadn't see each other in months) run off their steam so they would go to sleep. She quickly herded them into the room and it became suddenly quiet. I bet the hotel wishes all grandmothers were like that!

The bed was very comfortable and has a table on each side. You can see my extension cord going to one outlet so I could plug things in on that side of the bed. If you have several items to plug in I would suggest that you bring at least a 6' extension cord or two. The table in front of the window does not have an outlet.

My group is scheduled for several more meetings here over the next few months. I hope they keep sending me back here. It made a nice "home away from home."

One last note: There is a large 15 story office building across the street from the hotel that has one of the best NY style delicatessens that I've ever eaten at. It is small and priced so the hundreds of office workers will eat there regularly. They are open for breakfast and lunch.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel on a business trip and will definitly be back! Great staff, service and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! I also appreciated the FREE high speed wireless internet in a full service hotel, something I dont see too often in my travels.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Celebration, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I will say first off that Doris and Ani at the front desk were wonderful. I met Doris at check in late on July 3rd. She was great in suggesting pizza and made my check in very fast. I arrived at 11pm, and met Ryan (also very nice) at the valet. When I was told the cost of the parking I took my chances, and found a spot on the street.
I was assigned to the 9th floor, which unfortunately so was a family with their very loud and unruly children. Hoping that they would quiet down, I attempted to put it out of my mind. The children continued to run up and down the hallway, as the parents chatted loudly, til after 1am. I actually popped out into the hallway and asked them to please be quiet, but was met with a rude look. The pizza, it was great.
I woke up to children again at 7am, and that was it. I called and spoke with Ani, who was able to move me to the 14th floor. While in the lobby I met a fellow 9th floor member, who had the same complaint, and was also moved. I felt a little better not being alone in this. Once again, Ani was very nice about the whole thing.
I had to ask the CARE line for a sweing kit since I broke a button, and they were prompt with sending one to my room. Thank you so much for that. I also should say thank you to the driver of shuttle, John ( I think was his name) who was so nice, took me to church street and showed me where to get something to eat. Very nice.
I pondered on mentioning this, but think that if the hotel reviews this site they should be aware of it. I hadnt noticed til later, that the two towels in my room were previously used. I noticed this after I took a shower, and reached and found not one but 2 dirty towels hanging. They were "crunchy".... so enough said on that topic.
The walls are thin and I am sure that you are aware of this. The only other issue, the lack of drawer space. I would consider staying again at this hotel because the staff was so wonderful. Really, they are very nice.

Room Tip: get the 14th floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank poppingupdaisies
MarkMoravec, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write comments regarding your stay with us! I appreciate the feedback regarding the dirty towels left in your guestroom as I find that using specific guest experience examples during our daily Housekeeping training review makes a much greater impact. I would like to also thank you very much for all of the positive feedback regarding your interactions with our staff! I will personally pass along your appreciation to each team member mentioned. Please contact me directly so that I may assist you personally with your future reservation needs at the DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown Hotel at (407) 802-3463.

Warmest Regards,
Mark Moravec
DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown
Haughton, Louisiana
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We spent 2 nights at this hotel recently and I wanted to take the time to say how beautiful the view was here. We were on the 16 floor. The whole wall was a window. It was a beautiful room and very roomy with a cute little couch and 2 beds. I thought the staff was kind. I really enjoyed the warm cookie upon arrival. Each trash can has a section for recycleables and also regular trash. There was a Starbucks downstairs in the lobby. Also a bar that was open late but it was quite. We did have 2 problems: first we went to the pool to swim during the only chance we were going to have and they just sent us away because it was a private party. I got angry because I was never told of this when I booked nore upon arrival. They manager took an hour to call me back after I told her I was not happy and I wanted her to make it up to me! (We were out of town with out the kids on our 10th anniversary, I wanted to swim, it was 90 degrees out), so when she finally called back she more than made it up to me!!!! #2 was PARKING when we arrived we decided to valet for $15 that first night, ok cool but the second day we used the lot $8.00 per 4 hours or something like that! UGH!! It was supposed to be $12.00 per day we spend $8.00 3 times in a day-way more than $12.00. So I asked upon check out what the deal was and then they tell me about the validation for guests to make it $12.00 per day WELL now you tell me!! oh well we were still happy with our stay! No swimming and expensive parking and all!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 9, 2011

had a few maintance issues but they were on top of it. cleanliness was decent and housekeeping was good. front desk was friendly especially alex. the night time houskeeper (angel) was very friendly and helpful during a situation he came to our rescue :) and also the night time engenieering. room 1319 front desk always gave warm cookies the kids loved.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I have mostly high points for this property, but the one glaring low point brings my review to a 3 star. The room was big an comfortable. We called ahead for a late check in and was greeting after 1am. They still had a cookie for us! The bathroom was spacious, but the shower head was weak.
A couple electric outlets in my room and my friend's room did not work. The A/C worked fine.
The pool was small but refreshing, even though there is very little shade at the pool area. The gym was so/so, but hot.
Parking was good in the garage for $15 a day.
The glaring low point: TRAIN TRACKS outside the window about 150-200 yards from the hotel. When the trains came, they would honk at the nearby intersections, and it was loud. I noticed it the first night at 2:15 am and my first thought was, You've got to be kidding me!" It is a pretty active train track.
Free wifi, but slow.

Lobby was nice, elevators slightly slow, everything was clean. Views are OK.
I was there for a wedding.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank rhartogs
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I have stayed at this Hotel when it was the Sheraton, the Sonesta, and now the Doubletree by Hilton. THis property must have good joo-joo because I've always enjoyed my stays here! Now that it has the Hilton stamp and my reward points are gathering, it is even better! Room was spacious and comfortable, the bed was fantastic, and the Shower was great (extra wide and comfy, lots of light.) Add to the equation a Starbucks in the lobby and what more could you ask for?!? We enjoyed the pool, workout facility, and the close proximity to all that we were going to be doing.

My only complaint is with valet parking...If I'm paying for itm, I want it. Even if coming in late at night, I want valet or since I was self-parking and retrieving, just charge me for the self park option. I know that the company that manages parking is in charge of this, so oI only ask Hilton to "encourage" them to do the right thing.

Finally, Eliana at the front desk was amazing! When a portion of our group discovered a minor issue with their room, she immediatley moved them to an upgraded room on the club level! She even offered us the same upgrade so we could all be close! Wow! If you are going to be in Orlando for any reason, I highly encourage you to stay here! Hopefully, Hilton/Doubletree will maintain ownership for a very long time.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple