“Fab time”

Ranked #321 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Fab time”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I was TERRIFIED to travel to the US and stay here alone having read some of the reviews on here but can honestly say I could find no faults with the place.

My room (1129) was clean, well appointed and most importantly SECURE. I felt safe in there which was what I'd been worried about the most.
I was able to walk around the area alone during the days and evenings and never once felt vulnerable.

The reception staff were great and helpful and the pool area spotless and peaceful.

I'm already planning my next visit to Orlando and I won't have any qualms about staying at the Orlando Metropolitan Resort again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Sara509
fdiazmethotelgroup, General Manager at Orlando Metropolitan Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us at the Orlando Metropolitan Resort. We use all comments in order to better ourselves and provide a more enjoyable stay all for all our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 12, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel for one night and thank god it was only for one night. I had the worst experience ever. I rather pay an additional 30 dollars to not go through what we did. If you are traveling with small children do not stay here. The bathrooms were dirty and showers were full of hair. Ants crawling around the sink and vanity area. The carpet was stained and the room had a stale odor. The beds were squekky and you can feel the springs when you lay down. After a day in the parks, we checked in around 8:30pm. Desperately needing to bath my kids and put them to bed.. The front desk staff was amazing (this was the only good thing about the hotel) but once we got to our room that is when the problems began to occur.. Apart from the things I listed above.. Our shower only let out ice cold water.. after the engineer took 20 minutes to arrive, they could not fix it. I had to repack all our stuff and be changed to another room.. Which again, the shower only gave cold water.. At this point it was a little after 10pm.. My children were exhausted.. still hadnt showered.. we found blood stains on the bedroom linens.. They had to change us to another room.. By this time, I was ready to leave to another hotel.. At almost midnight everyone was showered and in bed.. now having to deal with the horrible bedroom conditions. My 5 year old didnt even feel comfortable in the room. We will never return to this hotel. Great price but horrible experience.

Room Tip: If you want a good room then book somewhere else. Not at this hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us . We use all comments in order to better ourselves and provide a more enjoyable stay all for all our guests. I would like to take the opportunity to speak with you in person. Please feel free to contact me.

Travelers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Orlando, FL
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked this as a last minute trip and for the price, it wasn't too bad. I would much rather pay even $20 more for a hotel with more amenities and better quality.

This '"resort" charges $5/day and I don't understand why, except that the room prices are so low! I certainly wouldn't call this property resort quality. The volleyball court and tennis court are not great- we didn't bother to check out the pool.

The hotel does NOT have free wi-fi even. Luckily, the guy who checked us in gave us a room right above the office so we did have internet in our room.

Our room was not overly dirty, but it was run down and the carpet needed to be cleaned.

I did appreciate the friendly customer service.

Room Tip: Above office/lobby for free wi-fi
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yabbott
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us . We use all comments in order to better ourselves and provide a more enjoyable stay all for all our guests. I would like to take this opportunity to speak with you. Please feel free to contact me. Thank you.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Metropolitan Resort, not to be confused with Metroplitan Express, is located just off International Drive on Austrian Court. Great location, close to a lot of venues, shops, etc. Their prices are very very reasonable, and when you get there you can see why. The place isn’t being kept up. There’s an air of genial shabbyness as soon as you drive in. However the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful both times I dealt with them. They were sharp enough to ask me what floor I liked and provide one with a view. The breezeway to get to the elevator was slightly alleyish, and the elevator was well into the shabby phase, but while not particularly clean, it didn’t smell and I don’t think it was unclean. Just unkempt.

My room was more of the same. There are a lot of things about Metropolitan that are kind of amusing. There’s a safe in the room—but the key for it isn’t there and probably hasn’t been for awhile. There’s an amoire with a tv and a little fridge, but the door on the amoire won’t close all the way. There’s a vent in the bathroom, but it’s really loud and clattery. Stuff like that just goes on and on. To me, all that stuff is what you get in exchange for a low price, so I didn’t mind. What’s important to me is: does the AC work? Are the beds & bathroom clean? Is it safe? Yes, yes, and yes. I would say the maids at M.R. are one of their better features, they did a good job. So if the towels are thin and a bit rough—well, there’s always the Peabody at five times the rate if that’s a need.

If in the future I was traveling on a budget like I was this time, I’d stay here again. It’s like visiting your friendly, frumpy old aunt, God bless her.

Room Tip: When I was here all the rooms seemed about equal to me. Just depends on whether you like a high or l...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ChasG63
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Me and my girlfriend our locals and I've worked on I-Drive 8 plus years as a waiter, and know the hotel's, and area quite well. This hotel had the most comfortable pillows, sheets and very clean new linen; for the price I highly recommend this hotel to locals and tourist alike. On top of the professional staff me and my girlfriend were upgraded to a deluxe King for the same price. I highly recommend metropolitan hotel to any and everyone. (36 year Floridian) Sincerly David S Harrison

Room Tip: 1404 was the room poolside and it was amazing.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David H
Baltimore
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The worst hotel experience I have ever had! I saw three terrible unacceptable rooms (smoky, occupied and one with bed bugs) and left. Then HOTELS.COM would not provide a refund!! If you ever have a problem with a room HOTELS.COM will not provide any help. There customer service is horrendous. I travel regularly (20+ nights a year) and have never left negative feedback at any hotel or booking site. Do not stay at the Metropolitan and do not use HOTELS.COM.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Not reading the reviews did it...needed to stay one night in Orlando close to the International Drive and selected this dump online without checking the opinion os previous guests. The infrastructure is crumbling and clearly maintenace is perfunctory, rooms are dirty, and there was a most obnoxious chemical smell in the rooms and elevators. Pillows and bed linen are old and full or holes. Mildew in the bathroom and in the old noisy and inefficiente air conditioner unit. When leaving in the morning noticed a YMCA logo on the hotel sign at the entrance driveway -- if you ever did read John dos Passos description of the YMCA flophouses of the Depression era (particularly his "USA" trilogy books), this establishment fits perfectly to the style -- well...one must say that there was some, let's call it "ambiance" to the place. Unless you want to try that sort of experience do not come close to the place. For 20 bucks more you can stay in one of the many chain hotels/motels in the neighborhood. Rating is terrible for all categories except for location....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends