“Good for a bargain hunter”

Orlando Metropolitan Resort
Ranked #316 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Austin, Texas
“Good for a bargain hunter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Metropolitan Resort, not to be confused with Metroplitan Express, is located just off International Drive on Austrian Court. Great location, close to a lot of venues, shops, etc. Their prices are very very reasonable, and when you get there you can see why. The place isn’t being kept up. There’s an air of genial shabbyness as soon as you drive in. However the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful both times I dealt with them. They were sharp enough to ask me what floor I liked and provide one with a view. The breezeway to get to the elevator was slightly alleyish, and the elevator was well into the shabby phase, but while not particularly clean, it didn’t smell and I don’t think it was unclean. Just unkempt.

My room was more of the same. There are a lot of things about Metropolitan that are kind of amusing. There’s a safe in the room—but the key for it isn’t there and probably hasn’t been for awhile. There’s an amoire with a tv and a little fridge, but the door on the amoire won’t close all the way. There’s a vent in the bathroom, but it’s really loud and clattery. Stuff like that just goes on and on. To me, all that stuff is what you get in exchange for a low price, so I didn’t mind. What’s important to me is: does the AC work? Are the beds & bathroom clean? Is it safe? Yes, yes, and yes. I would say the maids at M.R. are one of their better features, they did a good job. So if the towels are thin and a bit rough—well, there’s always the Peabody at five times the rate if that’s a need.

If in the future I was traveling on a budget like I was this time, I’d stay here again. It’s like visiting your friendly, frumpy old aunt, God bless her.

Room Tip: When I was here all the rooms seemed about equal to me. Just depends on whether you like a high or l...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ChasG63
fdiazmethotelgroup, General Manager at Orlando Metropolitan Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us at the Orlando Metropolitan Resort. We use all comments in order to better ourselves and provide a more enjoyable stay all for all our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Me and my girlfriend our locals and I've worked on I-Drive 8 plus years as a waiter, and know the hotel's, and area quite well. This hotel had the most comfortable pillows, sheets and very clean new linen; for the price I highly recommend this hotel to locals and tourist alike. On top of the professional staff me and my girlfriend were upgraded to a deluxe King for the same price. I highly recommend metropolitan hotel to any and everyone. (36 year Floridian) Sincerly David S Harrison

Room Tip: 1404 was the room poolside and it was amazing.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David H
Baltimore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

The worst hotel experience I have ever had! I saw three terrible unacceptable rooms (smoky, occupied and one with bed bugs) and left. Then HOTELS.COM would not provide a refund!! If you ever have a problem with a room HOTELS.COM will not provide any help. There customer service is horrendous. I travel regularly (20+ nights a year) and have never left negative feedback at any hotel or booking site. Do not stay at the Metropolitan and do not use HOTELS.COM.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us . We use all comments in order to better ourselves and provide a more enjoyable stay all for all our guests. I would like to take this opportunity to speak with you. Please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Bethesda, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Not reading the reviews did it...needed to stay one night in Orlando close to the International Drive and selected this dump online without checking the opinion os previous guests. The infrastructure is crumbling and clearly maintenace is perfunctory, rooms are dirty, and there was a most obnoxious chemical smell in the rooms and elevators. Pillows and bed linen are old and full or holes. Mildew in the bathroom and in the old noisy and inefficiente air conditioner unit. When leaving in the morning noticed a YMCA logo on the hotel sign at the entrance driveway -- if you ever did read John dos Passos description of the YMCA flophouses of the Depression era (particularly his "USA" trilogy books), this establishment fits perfectly to the style -- well...one must say that there was some, let's call it "ambiance" to the place. Unless you want to try that sort of experience do not come close to the place. For 20 bucks more you can stay in one of the many chain hotels/motels in the neighborhood. Rating is terrible for all categories except for location....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bob R
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Came into town to see friends and celebrate a birthday. Front desk staff was super friendly, and we were greeted with a smile as soon as we walked into the lobby. The front desk manager, Bill, was very helpful with giving us directions and suggested an excellent restaurant for dinner on Saturday night. The next time we visit Orlando we will most definitely look into the metropolitan again!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Justin B
fdiazmethotelgroup, General Manager at Orlando Metropolitan Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
We at the Orlando Metropolitan Resort would like to say thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. We take each and every review and use them to continue to better ourselves and offer the best service that we possibly can. We thank you for your kind words and hope that the next time you are in the Orlando Area that you will consider the Orlando Metropolitan Resort.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were greeted with a smile the guys name was Bill... We had a great pool side room and were treated like royalty... It was our anniversary and he made dinner reservations for us and it was a day to remember... Thank You Bill!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Denfather
Clearwater, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I made the reservation through hotels.com which I have never had a problem with before. After making the reservation I came across some reviews that were not favorable so I called the hotel. I was guaranteed by the desk clerk that he was going to personally assign my room so it would be clean and up to general standards. All I wanted was a clean room with 2 queen beds so when we arrived between 11-12pm (midnight) we could rest comfortable and be well rested for our workday the next morning. I called the hotel 3 times, to make sure everything was in order.
WELL!!! When we got to the room - the beds were not made, sheets were off the bed, a messy crib in the room, partially eaten food 7 trash from fast food restaurants everywhere - bathroom, beds, desk,night stand, and the floor. AND this room was hand picked for us????
After waiting almost 30 minutes for them to decide where to move us to, we went to the front office and checked out because there were no more rooms!!!!
I called hotels.com and made them aware of the problem. They made notations of the occurance and told me I would be receiving a refund within 4 days. Today I received an e-mail informing me of the refund which was 1/2 of the total room charge. I have been calling the hotel for over an hour and cannot get anyone to answer.
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
fdiazmethotelgroup, General Manager at Orlando Metropolitan Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay. According to our records a full refund was given from our side. We do regret that you did not have a pleasant stay with us.