“A Quickie at Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando”

Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando
Ranked #111 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I should start by saying my stay itself was the quickie as I have just returned from a one-night business stay at Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando (henceforth referred to in this review as 'RIPO'). I usually break my reviews down into the Great, Good, Bad, and Ugly but . . . since there was nothing at either extreme (Great or Ugly) I'll just leave it at Good & Bad and offer some Bottom-Line type comments. Ready? Here goes . . .

GOOD

* Location: whether you are staying for work or vacation, the location is excellent. You will be situated just off Int. Drive and a several minute walk from the convention center. While I do think this hotel is a far more of a vacation spot than a business stay, it can serve either need.

* New Old-Fashioned Hotel: At its core, the RIPO is a 50's-70's constructed family vacation hotel. I kind of cringed when I first arrived and saw the exterior: all of those rooms and levels looked so cramped together. As a child of the 70's & 80's it reminded me of the many hotels I stayed at on family road-trips on vacations as a child (there is even a video arcade!). All of this is not necessarily a bad thing. But, I feared I would be walking back into one of those decades when I entered the lobby and room but . . . not so. The lobby and rooms are nicely updated.

* Rooms: I found my room to be nicely equipped with a big flatscreen, a refrigerator, and microwave. It was also clean and of generous size. While it had the classic outdoor-access set-up (meaning you walk out of your room and you ARE outside), it was distinguisable from other similar rooms - I liked the sliding pocketdoors

* Lobby / Facilities: RIPO features nice facilities including a convenient and well-stocked store and a festive sports bar. There is some good / some bad here (I'll get to the 'bad' below). The night I strolled through there was kareoke, sports on TV, a pool table and a very convivial environment. There is also a business center - not something I expected to see here.

* Wifi (good): there is free wifi

BAD (Room for Improvement)

* Wifi (bad): while the wifi is free how well it works for you depends on where you are located. I was in Bldg F - as far away from the registration building as you can get and the wifi browsing was slow and painful. My normally lightening quick iPad struggled to do basic surfing. Where I was situated, I would only use the browsing again for quick, almost emergency, uses.

* Lay-Out / Space: This hotel is probably always busy but . . . luckily it wasn't booked in-full crowded during my stay. You might be feeling a bit claustrophic here if it is. While the rooms are of generous size, the 'common areas' feel tight. There are several buildings that feature many rooms in a relatively small area. I stayed on the sixth floor and was surprised for a building with so many rooms how small the elevators were. Couple that with how people seem to like to congregate on the outdoor corridors - often JUST outside of your room (making leaving the windows open for natural light impractical at times) and you could be feeling claustrophobic at RIPO.

* Sports Bar (bad): Again, the bar had a nice, fun feel but be ready for it to be running wild with children and . . . we sat down to take in a football game and were seated for about fifteen minutes with zero service. A member of the staff brought drinks to the table right next to our's only to quickly scurry off, acting like she didn't see us. No "I'll be with you in a moment" - nothing. We left and found a better option very nearby.

BOTTOM LINE COMMENTS

* If you are in town on vacation and don't mind a little potential craziness and a fun family crowd, you will be pelased with the RIPO.

* RIPO can work without a car if you have to but . . . I think you would be better off elsewhere without a car. The hotel lay-out is very spread out.

* Request a room close to the registration building if you plan on using the hotel's wifi.

* My daughters would have loved the convivial sports bar (I was missing them) but . . . if you want a drink and some adult time with good service SKIP the hotel bar and head directly across the street to Miller's where you'll find better brews, more screens, and far better service.

Room Tip: stay close to the main (registration) building if you plan on using the free wifi
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank ShoelessJeff
RosenHotels, Manager at Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for your honest and balanced review. We greatly appreciate your insightful feedback and we will be sharing your comments with our staff. We hope to welcome you back again some day.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks in September. Before this we hadn't stayed in this hotel for many years. We got this hotel for a super bargain through Holiday Genie (via Trivago). We paid less than £30 a night.
You wonder what you are getting for this type of money but you will be pleasantly shocked because its all GREAT!
We emailed Imelda at their customer services before we arrived with request for quiet rooms away from the I4. And yes, we got great rooms in Block B, on 4th floor.
The rooms have all been redone since we were last there, and we couldn't fault a thing. Beds and bedding lovely. Plenty of hanging space and drawers (unlike before), modern TV with plenty of chanels, safe, fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Infact, lots more!
There is plenty of free parking not that far from the rooms.
We didn't use the restaurant but it appeared to be very busy.
The Lite-Bite cafe is very handy with the outside tables. As all reviewers said, yes it is expensive but handy if you run short of milk etc. We filled our room fridge from the Walmart on Turkey Lake Road. Somedays just had breakfast of cereal, fruit, bagels etc in our room. (take a few plastic dishes and cutlery with you in your case).
This hotel is spotlessly clean, the maid service very good and it is in a great location. Walk to restaurants, Pointe Orlando, I Ride and much more. If you don't want to have a car this is perfect for getting about and also on my favourite part of International Drive. (much prettier than north of Sandlake road).
Next time we are in Orlando we will definitely stay here again. I just hope that they don't put the prices up when they realise how good they really are!

Room Tip: Always ask for a room on a higher floor and NOT facing the I4
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just back from our 5th stay at this hotel and once again it was excellent. The rooms are clean and kept that way by an excellent staff who are always cheerfull and curtious. We always ask for a room in the same part of the hotel for each stay by mailing the hotel a couple of weeks before we leave and they always make sure we have it. Great location and with the Miller Ale House and Wallgreens right across the road you have everything you need on your doorstep. We used the hotel for breakfast a few times and it was very good. It seems more expensive that the like of your Sizzlers & Ponderosa's if you want a buffet breakfast but your coffee is included in the price and once the other places add their cost for coffee it wouks out the same price. All the staff are very helpful the pool area's are very good. Only gripe is with people going into the pool area at 9 when it's opened and putting towels on bed' and then not returning to the pool for a couple of hours or longer........inconsiderate.
Already looking forward to returning in a couple of years.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Reception on arrival were brilliant (you know you have got good rooms when they ask how did you know to ask for the best rooms if you have not stayed here before).Beds were very comfortable but pillows were not, (this is a personal opinion).Excellent room fridge,coffee machine,microwave,hairdryer,iron and ironing board.(if you want tea take a travel kettle) also i took a four way extension which helped as we needed plugs for i/pod chargers and video camera charges.cleaners were excellent rooms cleaned every day towels changed and bed sheets changed .fresh coffee and cups left everyday.restaurant was ok if you need a quick breakfastfast before going out but sizzlers is just down the road and is cheaper and has more choice.We bought I/Troley tickets of the rep but would not do this if we went again.Lynx bus is better option they go to universal and disney and youcan buy a pass for two weeks,alternatively you could book mears shuttle bus .you buy a block amount of trips on a card phone from hotel an hour before you need them and they will pick you up.phone from parks an hour before you want to return and they will pick you up at park gates.(better than squashing onto hotel shuttle bus).Do not use the black taxis outside the hotel as these have a contract with the hotel and are double what you would pay a yellow cab.Staff at buisness centre are great $5 for 20 mins internet although it is free around the hotel and my children did not have any problems with there i/pods.There are no plates or cutlery in the room so we bought bowls of cereal from wallmart kept the bowls and bought a box of cereal also bought plastic cutelry in there( this is for when you can't face another all you can eat breakfast). This hotel is brilliant it is close to all the amenities,restaurants ,shops at pointe orlando the staff are brilliant from the manager to cleaners .the man that keeps the grounds loking fab.even saw a mamber of staff touching up paint work round the hotel most days.Security staff are on site 24hrs and are very friendly.I would definately stay hear again and would have no hesitation in recomending it to family and friends.A good hotel goes a long way to making a good holiday and this holiday was brilliant.

Room Tip: e/mail aheadand request a room be alocated before you arrive. i stayed in block B room 1442 fourth f...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank ian m
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 weeks at the beginning of October. We only used the hotel as a base and we were so busy so I can't comment on the rest of the hotels but the rooms were more than comfortable. We had two double beds, a plasma tv, fridge (very handy for cooling water), microwave, coffee maker...all the home comforts and a nice perk I thought were the branded Pantene shampoo and Vaseline moisturiser replaced daily. It is located at what I'd describe as the bottom end of international drive which is a quieter and nicer area, but still in easy walk of the busier part of of I drive. The only negative point and this has nothing to do with the hotel or staff was the I trolley that is highly recommended to everyone. As the hotel is positioned quite south on the drive if you're heading to Disney/seaworld/outlet shopping mall etc by the time the bus reaches you it's full and you're left waiting for another bus, most days we ended up walking to our connecting stop which is only about 15/20 mins. If we would go again we would buy a 2 week pass for the lynx bus which travel much more frequently. The staff at Rosen were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just got back from Orlando Florida. Stayed here for 14 nights from Oct 5th. Staff are very nice and can't do enough. shop a bit expensive but pop over road at walgreens for basics. Food very nice and reasonable prices. Always fresh & plenty of choice.
I e-mailed them before i went and asked for a room overlooking pool and they accomodated me. Pleasent Hello or good morning every day from the staff.
When i go back to Orlando next i will be booking this Hotel. Thankyou to all the Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando staff who made our stay so wonderful.

Dave

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank daviesdave
Reviewed October 23, 2012

stayed at rosen 2 weeks really good location but strange hours for bar 4pm opening time mid night close nothing in afternoon millers ale house across the street cleans up every thing else was perfect .it must be the only hotel ive stayed in that allows you to buy beer it walgreens and drink at their pool .

Room Tip: ac was abit noisy
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family