“A Few Missteps”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pinellas Park, Florida, USA
“A Few Missteps”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We almost always use Marriott for our hotel needs as the quality is consistent throughout the chain. We frequent Marriott and Courtyard most often. I was surprised on this visit that we ran into so many hiccups, which has kept my review at 3 stars. I had considered 2 stars, but the prompt attention by the staff to rectify the problems moved it up a notch.
What happened? I made the reservation the night before but upon arrival it was not in their system and they had to look it up. Minor annoyance. No big deal. There is a parking charge, but you are able to use your room key to come and go during your stay. Except we couldn't. Our first exit from the lot forced me to pay for it as all our room keys were not recognized. (We had 2 rooms and I tried 3 of the 4 keys before giving up.) There was a button to call for service, but we were not heard - the valet service - college kids, they appeared to be - ignored us or were too busy. When we returned the front desk said to bring the receipt in the morning when we checked out and it would be taken off the bill. It was.
Oh, and I almost thought this was New York City - the only other place where wi-fi was not free. It cost $15/day unless you wanted to walk down to the lobby. Made me wish I had brought my tablet instead of my laptop. So we went without. Not too big a deal, but again, had work called it would have presented some difficulties.
The pool was nice, with both an indoor and outdoor section, and the fitness center was larger than most. (Then again, it was a huge hotel - 9 floors.)
Overall the staff was friendly and courteous, the room was nice, the bed firm (which actually helped me sleep). And even though it was by the airport there was no noise from planes arriving and departing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
vern65, Manager at Orlando Airport Marriott Lakeside, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
We appreciate you taking your valued time to write this review. We take all of these very seriously and review them with our team. While you had very nice things to say about our hotel, staff and pool area. the issues you encountered with our parking are not acceptable and and the experience with the valet staff was obviously not to par. We source out our valet service, but they are still a reflection on our hotel and represent Marriott. I have reviewed this with our Valet manager to address the shortfalls and correct them. Thank you again for you time and attention.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Turkish first
Ocala FL
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed one night. It was a great experience from checking in with Mariela Ramono who was most helpful, friendly and informative to the guy who delivered the refrigerator I requested to the woman in the lounge where they served breakfast in the morning (on the 9th floor). Staff was outstanding all the way around. The room was a nice room, nothing over the top. I was surprised that I had to request a refrigerator, but it was not a big deal. Comfortable bed, clean as can be, had a nice view - it was a treat to be on the top floor as it seemed there was only adults up there, no noise from kids running in the hallways. Didn't even hear other guests. I'd have been happy to stay longer and I hope to use this hotel again. Parking was the only downside and it was $14/day. But it was a secure lot and not a problem for one night.

Room Tip: I guess you just need to be friendly and ask.....our room looked over the pool and had a nice view o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I booked the hotel after reading the reviews here on Tripadvisor. Wow, all I can say is Marriot employees must be posting. The moment we arrived I noticed a certain lack of professionalism with the bellmen at curbside. No greeting, bellman seemed more interested in his smartphone than my luggage. At check in we were greeted and our reservation ready. Arrived in the room which was very HOT. Seems the a/c is only barely adequate. Room smells stale...definitely not fresh as you would expect from a 4 star hotel. No in room safe. Seriously lacking maintenance....doors and hallways are dirty and in need of touch up paint. Having worked in hotel management I know this is a constant issue that must be attended to. This hotel has a serious lack of maintenance. We had a $25 credit to use at any of the hotel restaurants, well guess what? There's only one, which was CLOSED! They advised me they would be serving dinner in the bar the night we were there.....We went ahead and ordered since we had a $25 credit at the hotel. Kids meal was fine although we were charged $7.95 for the meal. KIds under 12 eat free (my kid is 9) Waiter had no clue about this policy. My wife ordered a seafood/pasta dinner. Seafood appeared fresh but was bland and was served on the same macaroni noodle that my kid had in her mac and cheese. Seriously? What a waste of fresh seafood! I ordered a NY Steak ($32). It came with no sides, no salad, nothing. But that's OK if the steak is prime. It was not. No salt and pepper on the table, had to request everything. The poor waiter had no clue and explained it was his first week on the job, not his fault at all. The bar where we ate was dead quiet, no ambience, no music. Only the noise from one obnoxious guest at the bar insulting other guests (all three). I asked for some background music to be turned on just to stop the suffering......the few guests that were in the bar trying to get dinner were upset with the situation just as much we were. We were given free desert to go. When I asked for 3 spoons the waiter gave us 3 long bar spoons, the type used in a bar to stir tall drinks. Again, not the young guys fault.
Self park room key scanner did not work so you cannot get into the park area without taking a ticket. Overall disaster of a hotel. We've been in FL for 9 days and this has been the worst stay yet. Avoid this place.

1 Thank Mike H
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night while traveling for business. I also booked a meeting room for business. At check in I was treated with wonderful customer service. I ordered room service for dinner, the food was great and was delivered to the room promptly. The next day I used the meeting room I booked. The room was perfect and before the meeting at least 3 different workers came in to make sure I had everything I needed. They were all eager to help and very friendly. I would recommend this location to anyone who needs a place to stay close to the airport. They also have a small café and restaurant in the hotel. I didn't try the café but the folks attending my meeting picked up a few things from there and said it was good. I did have lunch at the restaurant. The food was excellent. The only opportunity for improvement would be in the wait staff in the restaurant. They were very slow and seemed to have no sense of urgency. They were very friendly though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Janee R, Executive Assistant at Orlando Airport Marriott Lakeside, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us ~ We appreciate and value your business. We hope that you will return to the Orlando Airport Marriott when your travels bring you back to the area, as we are confident you will again come to find the level of quality and service that has become a Marriott tradition.
Bucks County, PA
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed one night due to an early morning flight. The hotel is in a very good location - safe and close to several restaurants. The beds were very comfortable - a lot of pillows. The staff at check-in and check-out were very efficient and friendly. Would stay here again for those reasons.

The only negative, which did not affect us was the charge for parking - $14 and $16 for valet (per night!) seemed very expensive. The valet parking people were very pleasant though, directing the person who was dropping us off to an area he could park his car while we checked in so we could all go out to dinner. Bottom line though, if we had had a car, we would not have stayed at this hotel.

Room Tip: View of pool is nice.
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here in February, 2013 for a conference for 4 nights. Would not be my first choice for a family vacation, but very clean, comfortable, and great amenities. Pool area was fantastic, clean, and very nice. As other reviewers have said, hotel needs automatic doors. Hard going in and out several times with suitcases and golf clubs. Only downfall to this hotel were the rooms were a little smaller than normal Marriott rooms, and you heard every door in the hall slam all night and day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here in April 2013 ( all 12 of us ) whilst visiting the fantastic Universal, Disney and Epcot parks. Nice hotel, very clean and with friendly staff. We didn't use the facilities much but what we saw was lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family