“Love the rooms BUT they need to improve a few things”

Marriott's Cypress Harbour Villas
Ranked #6 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed March 30, 2011

We stayed here about 5 years ago and loved it so decided to return during DS spring break. We requested a room near the sports court since my son loves basketball and they put us in building 60. After unloading all of our stuff and approaching the door, we were a little disgusted as the door as well as the entire alcove area was covered in mesquitos. We tried to brush as many as possible off the door and tried to enter quickly to try and avoid them getting in the room. At first the thought of requesting another room didn't cross my mind so we set our things down and checked out the bedrooms. I noticed that the bedrooms still had the old style TV's but the living room had been upgraded to a plasma. We looked out the back to see how far we were from the courts and we weren't as close as I had hoped. Upon walking back towards the living room and glancing towards the door, I noticed that there was a huge gap under the door which meant that the room had to have mesquitos inside as well. I called the front desk and informed them of the problem and they said they only had buildings 67 or 68 which are in the back and not near the sports court I requested. I told them that was fine as long as we weren't getting eaten alive by mesquitos. We had to haul everything back down and reload the truck and go back to the clubhouse to get our keys changed. While walking down we now made it a point to look at other doors and while their bug problem wasn't nearly as bad (I think ours was extra bad because it was an end unit with that whole side of the building covered in trees/shade), we did see quite a few mesquitos swarming around doors.

Got back to the clubhouse and she apologized about the issue and told us our new room was in buildig 63 which is the first building on the other side of the lake directly next to the courts. While I was very happy to hear this, I wondered why when I called they told me they only had 2 buildings in the back (maybe to discourage us from changing?) and then also why didn't they give us this building in the first place since it's what I requested in advance. Regardless, I was happy with the change. Saw a few mesquitos flying but nothing in comparison to the first. We had room 6014 which was a perfect location and had plasma TV's throughout. I love the layout of the room and how comfy the furniture is. Usually sleeper sofas are hard to sit on but the sectional couch was very comfy to lounge on. Beds were really comfy as well. Room was exceptionally clean.

On two separate nights we saw a large beetle on the wall. Wasn't the same bug because my son killed both of them. Our jacuzzi tub also didn't work right which was a disappointment but the tub is so huge it is nice to soak in even without the bubbles.

All in all this is a beautiful resort but they need to fix their bug problem. I live in Florida so I know how bad bugs and mesquitos can be but it is the property's responsiblity to spray regularly to keep them at bay for the comfort of their guests. It's obvious that they do not do this enough at this property. I probably have close to 20 mesquito bites and we all know how annoying those are.

This property is very spread out so it requires alot of walking. It's kind of an odd layout in that the activity center/courts are on one side of the lake with no pool or eating options. If you stay close to a pool then you have quite a walk to the activity center. If you are on the back side of the lake, you have quite a walk to any eating options. But again, it's a beautiful resort with lovely and very spacious rooms. LOVE the large screened lanai looking over the lake. Perfect place to have a family dinner or lunch. We ordered room service two nights and both times I was impressed with the delivery time and they delivered within the timeframe specificied. Quality of food was decent.

If they fix the bug problem, then there would be very little that could negatively be said about this property.

1  Thank Wild4Orlando
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Cypress Harbour Villas

Reviewed March 28, 2011

This was our second stay at the Cypress Harbour, having stayed there about 6 years ago. I cannot say enough good about this place. I am very picky about accommodations and this exceeded my expectations. I had asked while booking with my travel agent for a recently renovated room and was disappointed when I called the Cypress Harbour on the morning of our check-in to learn that this request had not been passed on to them. Despite this, the resort was able to accommodate us in a suite which had been renovated a few weeks prior !! It was amazing.....the carpet had barely been walked on. The only thing I would have changed was the location...our last visit we overlooked the central area which was beautiful at night. This time we overlooked a tie off on the golf course and a small stream. However, I was not prepared to give up the immaculate suite !! The service was excellent....we did not see one staff person who was not super friendly. We had pizza from the on site pizza hut one evening and found it very inexpensive and good. I would return in a heart beat !!

Reviewed March 25, 2011

You can't beat the location if you plan on going to both Disney and Universal or if you are only going to one of them. It's about a 15 minute drive to Universal. Great shopping center right around the corner with a Publix and great Pizza place. I'd advise getting their phone number before you leave for the park and then call in an order when you get in your call at the park. It will be ready when you arrive and hot when you get back to the Resort. We did not use any of the amenities this time, but did the last time we were there. The pools are nice as are the sports facilities. Loved the huge jacuzzi tub in the Master.

2  Thank DGStravels
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa for 2 nights and also stayed 2 nights at a Disney property. For the money we spent for a 2 bedroom condo at Disney we could of stayed another 2 nights at the Marriott. This Marriott is just wonderful! The rooms are very spacious, I like the fact that one bedroom is when you walk in and the other is off of the family room. We stayed by the island pool which we just loved and yet we could still walk across the walkway to the main pool. If you have little ones, which we didn't, this is a great place. Plenty of activites for them plus they have bike rentals, boat rentals, basketball courts, shuffle board, putt putt, and a remote control car race track and plenty of playgrounds. Some of the paddle boats are like swans, ducks and flamingos.

There are grills, swings for the grown ups around the lake and some hammocks. They have a great little general store, a pizza hut and a cafe type grille. The grounds are beautiful, they even have a small soccer field.

In the evening we would always take a walk to the store for some Starbucks, ice cream and at the end of the day you can pick up some Krispy Kreme doughnuts buy one get one free for breakfast the following morning or with your coffee on the walk back!

We just wished we had more time here. Disney is not far and you can take the boat over to Disney Village!

1  Thank netflyer
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We have stayed here on numerous trips to the Orlando area. The villas are large and allow us to each have our own space during vacation. We love breakfast on the screened in balcony and sometimes an evening cocktail to unwind. I've stayed on Disney property and this is so much nicer and affords a break from the crazy park mentality. Also, the kitchen allows you to have breakfast more economically and without rushing off in the morning. The rooms are very quiet - seldom have I heard my neighbors unless on the balcony. The pools are terrific and there are always plenty of lounge chairs available. The staff is very friendly and helpful with great tips on beating the crowds. Tons of activities to please any age.

2  Thank Mary M
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We stayed at Cypress Harbour March 13-18 and had a great experience. Our villa was about a 3 minute walk to the pool (the one across the lake from the Club House pool) - so, very private and quiet. There was a play ground right beside our unit. Our screened in porch was great. The bed was super comfortable, and extra pillows were available. The villa was clean and housekeeping service was great! Towels were also provided for the pool. While dishes and pots and pans are provided, the kitchen isn't overwhelmingly equipped. The appliances all worked, but not high end by any means. The kitchen had granite countertops and tile floors. The bathrooms were typical cultered marble-type countertops.

The property' location is perfect. It's like a mile or less from Sea World and Discovery Cove. Universal is maybe 10 minutes. The Disney Exit is 5 miles West down I4... we had no problem getting anywhere. International Drive is also a couple lights up, so there's lots of food and drink that way. The closest (and nicest) outlets are 5 minutes away.

We stayed at this propery under a marketing promotion. So, one day for 90 minutes we listened to the Marriott marketing presentation. It wasn't high pressure - more of an explaination of how the Marriott Vacation Club works. We also took a tour of their newest property (quite nice and a potential destination in the future). Interesting enough, our contact indicated the Cypress Harbour property is about 22 years old... So, Marriott is definitely taking care of their property. Everyone was very friendly and the grounds were very well kept. We rec'd a great rate on the villa, as a result, and a $100 Marriott card.

A couple of recommendations, if you go to the parks, get there before they open (yes, stand in line to get in)...the lines are super short first thing AND use the fast pass system. Get a Disney book and determine what you want to ride and which rides offer FastPasses.

Overall, it was a nice, quiet place...our kids had lots of fun in the pools. No problems and the marketing offer was as described. No surprises once on site.

1  Thank LucyTn
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Stayed two nights in March 2011 w/spouse, 17 & 20 yr-olds. Wanted plenty of room so we weren't on top of each other. Booked 2 Bdrm Suite. .This provided that and more.Could have slept 7-8 easily, with the quality pullout sofas. Real clean. Full kitchen w/cookware and utensils. Nice Super Walmart nearby for groceries if desired. Nice quick ride to Disney World & Universal. Views of the water were fabulous right off screened patio. Golfing, boating, activities. Can't say enough about how pleased we were. Used the AAA rates. Can't wait to return.