“HOTEL UPGRADE”

Ranked #296 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Brighton, United Kingdom
“HOTEL UPGRADE”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Having been here last in July , during this time the hotel was being upgraded . We are here now to see the upgrade of the hallways and rooms . The hallways look smart with a wooden block on the ground floor , the rooms have been re-carpeted and ceramic floor tiles both in the entrance to the room and the bathroom . A nice comfortable new bed completes the room improvements . The first floor is soon to be upgraded as well
The lobby staff must rate as one of the friendliest front desk staff you could imagine , all fronted by an excellent management team . The housekeeping staff are a happy team as well always greeting guests with a good morning when you pass them in the hallway , making them feel special . this hotel offers what a lot of hotels in this area do not and that's the personal touch , which means so much to the repeat families that visit here yearly , they are greeted as friends and not just someone who pays to stay here .

Room Tip: Select pool room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johnashdown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I just returned back from Orlando this morning, 11 Dec 2013. I was travelling with a friend and we had an evening flight departure yesterday, but had to check out of the Metropolitan Express by 11 am. We decided to go out for the day and return back to the hotel later in the afternoon. When we asked if there was anyplace we could leave our luggage within the hotel for a few hours, the receptionist replied "there is no where in the hotel we could leave them". He then suggested we take our bags to The International Palm Resort Hotel, to leave the bags with them in their left luggage room. Rather strange to say the least. Never in all my travels, did I find a hotel who did not have a room to leave bags in for a few hours. I felt this really let the Metropolitan Express down. Also thought this would be a basic facility for all hotels.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sue C
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback and it appears we have failed to meet your expectations. For our shortcomings, we sincerely apologize. With comments and feedback from our valued guests, we will work harder to improve and show we can meet and exceed all of your expectations. We have recently started renovating and we will be able to accommodate a place where the guest will be able to store luggage.. We sincerely hope you give us the opportunity to show we can improve and be your host hotel again!

Travelers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Strasbourg, France
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed 9 nights in Orlando because we wanted to visit all the theme parks.
We choose this hotel because it was on the I-Drive, close to Universal Resort (about 20min by walking). Far from Sea World (but there is the I-Ride Trolley) and WDW (we rode the Lynx transport system to go there and also to go to Orlando Downtown). Shuttle leaves the hotel a bit late that's why we didn't use them. The best thing is to have a car to go to the park and to the others attractions, restaurants and bars on the I-Drive.
In general the hotel is convenient ... not clean everywhere but the lobby and also the room are clean. The bathroom need to be refresh but OK. Corridor a little bit old.
Breakfast was just OK.
Sure it's not the best hotel in Orlando, but for the price and for the location ... that's what I said : convenient.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback and it appears we may have failed to meet your expectations in some area . For our shortcomings, we sincerely apologize. With comments and feedback from our valued guests, we will work harder to improve and show we can meet and exceed all of your expectations. We have replaced the hallway carpets since your visit and will be posting photos online that show the improvements, we only regret we had not done it in time for your visit. Hope you give us another opportunity soon!
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed December 2, 2013

-General Comments-
This is the best economy hotel I've stayed in so far. The carpet in the hallway was very dirty but I didn't really care because the cleanliness of the room was superb. My room door was almost broken. I had to insert my keys 4-5 times before it really opened.

-Free Shuttle to Universal and Disney-
The free shuttle to the Universal Studios only came at 11.30 am something. Since the hotel was only 20 minutes walk from the Universal, we decided to walk early in the morning to maximize the time that we had at the parks. However the hotel was pretty far from Disney. The last shuttle that left Disney to the hotel at night was at 10pm. Since we wanted to stay and see the fireworks and the night show, we had to take a cab to go back to the hotel. It would cost you approximately 50 bucks.

-WiFi, Breakfast, Nearby Shops & Restaurants-
The WiFi was free but only limited at the lobby area. There were lots of souvenir shops nearby. More than 10 I think. The complimentary breakfast was nothing much. Just bagels, toasts, and cereals. Well, it is just an economy hotel after all. But there were plenty of nearby restaurants that served breakfast buffet (for only about $5 per person). If you're a Muslim, this hotel was a perfect place for you because there is a halal restaurant nearby (3 minutes walk).

-Transportation to the Hotel-
The hotel is also right in front of the bus line. So from the airport, I took public bus and stopped right in front of the hotel. Although it was an hour ride, it only cost me $2. There was a shuttle, but that that would cost you $17-19 per person. If you choose to take taxi, it would cost you $45-50.

I booked through Hotels.com. It was really worth the money!

Room Tip: Most of the reviews I read before I went there recommended me to ask for room that's facing the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We like to hear from our valued clients to see how we can improve and appreciate all comments both good and bad. It is only with comments such as yours that we can continue to improve. Please come see us again soon!
Houston, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013

ROOMS:
We arrived and checked in to find that they had given us the wrong room. I was staying with my husband for our anniversary and they gave us two small beds. I asked for them to change it to the room we paid for, and yes they did give me a card to the bigger room. However when we entered that room, we found out WHY they had not given it to us. Bugs everywhere. Possibly a mouse, but I didn't stick around to search that nasty room. We went back to the room with small beds. Both rooms had holes in the roof (luckily not on the top floor...). Also, the bathtub was rusty and had debris from I don't want to know in it.
PRINTING:
You have to pay to use internet in your room. That is something some hotels do, and it's more of a warning than a complaint for you if you want to stay here. BUT if you need to print something at the hotel, it is a MAJOR hassle. We paid to use the internet in our room, but apparently you can't use the internet in the lobby computers/printers without paying AGAIN to use the internet and the printer itself. Then you cannot download what you need to print from emails nor can you use a USB drive to get what you need to print. I had to ask a staff member to print it at their desk eventually. We wasted money on the internet/printer...
BREAKFAST:
The breakfast is pretty much bagels and donuts. We went to the buffets across the street for breakfast.
SOUNDPROOFING:
If you enjoy getting an undisturbed night's rest, forget it. Any noises in the hallway are magnified by the echo of the hall and then blast through your door as if there weren't a hunk of wood between you and the ruckus. I was woken up many times during my stay from people talking, carts squealing, doors slamming, etc.
SERVICE:
The service was fine, and there were staff members who I would give personal endorsements to, but unfortunately the overall stay here was very poor. Find another hotel, unless the things listed above do not bother you. We spent most of our time out of the hotel, and its location is within walking distance to Universal Studios! The shuttle comes once a day at noon, so we ended up walking to the parks and back to get more time for activities.

Room Tip: Rooms are very noisy. Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda B
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
I would like to apologize for the situation you experienced during your recent stay at Metropolitan Express on International Dr.
I can certainly understand and appreciate your concerns.
We want all of our guests to have the best stay possible where everything is clean, in-place, of the highest quality, and in perfect working order. I am sorry that was not the case during your stay. You
can be confident that we have followed-up on all of your concerns with our Maintenance, Housekeeping and the upper management Staff so that others are not disappointed as you were.
I thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts and I apologize again for your situation. You are valued as our guest and your concerns are most welcomed.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

On my first trip to Orlando I stayed in this hotel!
The room is good: large beds, great restroom with a good shower...
I liked the breakfast, with theirs breads, cakes and everything else...
But what is better than everything is the localization! It's near of all principal parks from Orlando: Wet'n Wild, Universal Resort, Disney...
Great!!!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fagner C. A
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

this was our 2nd stay here in 3 years and would stay again, ideal location, we bought a lynx bus ticket for the fortnight from the visitor center by trolley stop 20 and used it to get everywhere, you can get a lynx 37 from the sheraton hotel with the cylinder above to universal or lynx 8 or 38 to seaworld stay at that stop and get a 50 to disney and lynx 42 from anywhere on i drive going north to the florida mall. we stayed in room 1314 at the metropolitan which is poolside across from the bar, we had fresh towels everyday they're not the best but did the job, the beds are really comfortable and we had a fridge and microwave they were a bit dated but clean, the t.v had limited channels but we didn't come here to watch t.v the breakfast was toast, cereals and coffee which was ideal before we set off for the day most hotels don't do anything and the breakfast lady was lovely. if you are a complainer pay a bit more and stay somewhere else this is a great budget hotel and as for boxes and rubbish being in the corridor this is guests dumping their packaging from goods they have bought from the outlets,but then again you can't please everyone.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 1314 and 1318 previously in my opinion any room on ground floor of this block are...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mandy6321
Thank you for your review of our Metropolitan Express! We do appreciate all reviews; especially our valued return clientele! With comments such as yours, our entire staff can feel confident they are accomplishing the goal of making the Metropolitan Express as special as we feel it is to our guests. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!!