“No left luggage facility”
Review of Floridian Express

Floridian Express
Ranked #292 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I just returned back from Orlando this morning, 11 Dec 2013. I was travelling with a friend and we had an evening flight departure yesterday, but had to check out of the Metropolitan Express by 11 am. We decided to go out for the day and return back to the hotel later in the afternoon. When we asked if there was anyplace we could leave our luggage within the hotel for a few hours, the receptionist replied "there is no where in the hotel we could leave them". He then suggested we take our bags to The International Palm Resort Hotel, to leave the bags with them in their left luggage room. Rather strange to say the least. Never in all my travels, did I find a hotel who did not have a room to leave bags in for a few hours. I felt this really let the Metropolitan Express down. Also thought this would be a basic facility for all hotels.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sue C
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback and it appears we have failed to meet your expectations. For our shortcomings, we sincerely apologize. With comments and feedback from our valued guests, we will work harder to improve and show we can meet and exceed all of your expectations. We have recently started renovating and we will be able to accommodate a place where the guest will be able to store luggage.. We sincerely hope you give us the opportunity to show we can improve and be your host hotel again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,564)

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed 9 nights in Orlando because we wanted to visit all the theme parks.
We choose this hotel because it was on the I-Drive, close to Universal Resort (about 20min by walking). Far from Sea World (but there is the I-Ride Trolley) and WDW (we rode the Lynx transport system to go there and also to go to Orlando Downtown). Shuttle leaves the hotel a bit late that's why we didn't use them. The best thing is to have a car to go to the park and to the others attractions, restaurants and bars on the I-Drive.
In general the hotel is convenient ... not clean everywhere but the lobby and also the room are clean. The bathroom need to be refresh but OK. Corridor a little bit old.
Breakfast was just OK.
Sure it's not the best hotel in Orlando, but for the price and for the location ... that's what I said : convenient.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback and it appears we may have failed to meet your expectations in some area . For our shortcomings, we sincerely apologize. With comments and feedback from our valued guests, we will work harder to improve and show we can meet and exceed all of your expectations. We have replaced the hallway carpets since your visit and will be posting photos online that show the improvements, we only regret we had not done it in time for your visit. Hope you give us another opportunity soon!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

-General Comments-
This is the best economy hotel I've stayed in so far. The carpet in the hallway was very dirty but I didn't really care because the cleanliness of the room was superb. My room door was almost broken. I had to insert my keys 4-5 times before it really opened.

-Free Shuttle to Universal and Disney-
The free shuttle to the Universal Studios only came at 11.30 am something. Since the hotel was only 20 minutes walk from the Universal, we decided to walk early in the morning to maximize the time that we had at the parks. However the hotel was pretty far from Disney. The last shuttle that left Disney to the hotel at night was at 10pm. Since we wanted to stay and see the fireworks and the night show, we had to take a cab to go back to the hotel. It would cost you approximately 50 bucks.

-WiFi, Breakfast, Nearby Shops & Restaurants-
The WiFi was free but only limited at the lobby area. There were lots of souvenir shops nearby. More than 10 I think. The complimentary breakfast was nothing much. Just bagels, toasts, and cereals. Well, it is just an economy hotel after all. But there were plenty of nearby restaurants that served breakfast buffet (for only about $5 per person). If you're a Muslim, this hotel was a perfect place for you because there is a halal restaurant nearby (3 minutes walk).

-Transportation to the Hotel-
The hotel is also right in front of the bus line. So from the airport, I took public bus and stopped right in front of the hotel. Although it was an hour ride, it only cost me $2. There was a shuttle, but that that would cost you $17-19 per person. If you choose to take taxi, it would cost you $45-50.

I booked through Hotels.com. It was really worth the money!

Room Tip: Most of the reviews I read before I went there recommended me to ask for room that's facing the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We like to hear from our valued clients to see how we can improve and appreciate all comments both good and bad. It is only with comments such as yours that we can continue to improve. Please come see us again soon!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

ROOMS:
We arrived and checked in to find that they had given us the wrong room. I was staying with my husband for our anniversary and they gave us two small beds. I asked for them to change it to the room we paid for, and yes they did give me a card to the bigger room. However when we entered that room, we found out WHY they had not given it to us. Bugs everywhere. Possibly a mouse, but I didn't stick around to search that nasty room. We went back to the room with small beds. Both rooms had holes in the roof (luckily not on the top floor...). Also, the bathtub was rusty and had debris from I don't want to know in it.
PRINTING:
You have to pay to use internet in your room. That is something some hotels do, and it's more of a warning than a complaint for you if you want to stay here. BUT if you need to print something at the hotel, it is a MAJOR hassle. We paid to use the internet in our room, but apparently you can't use the internet in the lobby computers/printers without paying AGAIN to use the internet and the printer itself. Then you cannot download what you need to print from emails nor can you use a USB drive to get what you need to print. I had to ask a staff member to print it at their desk eventually. We wasted money on the internet/printer...
BREAKFAST:
The breakfast is pretty much bagels and donuts. We went to the buffets across the street for breakfast.
SOUNDPROOFING:
If you enjoy getting an undisturbed night's rest, forget it. Any noises in the hallway are magnified by the echo of the hall and then blast through your door as if there weren't a hunk of wood between you and the ruckus. I was woken up many times during my stay from people talking, carts squealing, doors slamming, etc.
SERVICE:
The service was fine, and there were staff members who I would give personal endorsements to, but unfortunately the overall stay here was very poor. Find another hotel, unless the things listed above do not bother you. We spent most of our time out of the hotel, and its location is within walking distance to Universal Studios! The shuttle comes once a day at noon, so we ended up walking to the parks and back to get more time for activities.

Room Tip: Rooms are very noisy. Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda B
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

I would like to apologize for the situation you experienced during your recent stay at Metropolitan Express on International Dr.
I can certainly understand and appreciate your concerns.
We want all of our guests to have the best stay possible where everything is clean, in-place, of the highest quality, and in perfect working order. I am sorry that was not the case during your stay. You
can be confident that we have followed-up on all of your concerns with our Maintenance, Housekeeping and the upper management Staff so that others are not disappointed as you were.
I thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts and I apologize again for your situation. You are valued as our guest and your concerns are most welcomed.

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

On my first trip to Orlando I stayed in this hotel!
The room is good: large beds, great restroom with a good shower...
I liked the breakfast, with theirs breads, cakes and everything else...
But what is better than everything is the localization! It's near of all principal parks from Orlando: Wet'n Wild, Universal Resort, Disney...
Great!!!!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Fagner C. A
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Reviewed October 30, 2013

this was our 2nd stay here in 3 years and would stay again, ideal location, we bought a lynx bus ticket for the fortnight from the visitor center by trolley stop 20 and used it to get everywhere, you can get a lynx 37 from the sheraton hotel with the cylinder above to universal or lynx 8 or 38 to seaworld stay at that stop and get a 50 to disney and lynx 42 from anywhere on i drive going north to the florida mall. we stayed in room 1314 at the metropolitan which is poolside across from the bar, we had fresh towels everyday they're not the best but did the job, the beds are really comfortable and we had a fridge and microwave they were a bit dated but clean, the t.v had limited channels but we didn't come here to watch t.v the breakfast was toast, cereals and coffee which was ideal before we set off for the day most hotels don't do anything and the breakfast lady was lovely. if you are a complainer pay a bit more and stay somewhere else this is a great budget hotel and as for boxes and rubbish being in the corridor this is guests dumping their packaging from goods they have bought from the outlets,but then again you can't please everyone.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 1314 and 1318 previously in my opinion any room on ground floor of this block are...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mandy6321

Thank you for your review of our Metropolitan Express! We do appreciate all reviews; especially our valued return clientele! With comments such as yours, our entire staff can feel confident they are accomplishing the goal of making the Metropolitan Express as special as we feel it is to our guests. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!!

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

This is our 2nd time staying here. I find a lot of negative reviews about this place but I think thats down to the means of your stay!
We use it simply to shower and sleep in and at about £30per night per room you cant go in expecting the ritz.
The hotel is currently having a refurb but have only done the lower ground rooms..we stayed on the first floor. Yes the rooms are dated but they are cleaned daily, beds made, fresh towels. You get a tv in your room (so its not flat screen and doesnt have 100 channels, im not in Orlando to watch tv!!) There are 2 double beds, bath and shower. .microwave and fridge.
Wifi can be found in the lobby or at the Tiki pool bar.
Convenient location for Universal Studios as only a short walk away. Wet n Wild is across the road. Several fantastic eateries with something for everyone. I-ride trolleys are ideal to get to Seaworld, Aquatica, malls..they run every 20mins and you can get different ticket deals from reception.
You can also book the shuttles for disney and busch gardens from reception.
The Tiki Bar staff were fantastic as ever. Rachel and her merry staff are good fun, extremely friendly and the measures are better than uk!! Like last year we spent a few good evenings with Jared, Emily, Lacey and co.
We are planning on going back again next year as theres always something new being built at the parks or you never get quite enough time to see everything. We will of course be going back to the Metropolitan Express. .as it has everything that we need..cheap, clean, basic. When we want to laze in our hotel room im sure we'll spend some extra money and go for something 5* but for now we're happy enough to just go and see everything Orlando has to offer..isnt that what its there for!?!?!

pool bar. fridge. Orlando to watch tv!!)

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Deblar-B

Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback and it appears we have failed to meet your expectations. For our shortcomings, we sincerely apologize. With comments and feedback from our valued guests, we will work harder to improve and show we can meet and exceed all of your expectations. Hope you give us another opportunity soon!