“Good hotel”

Ranked #300 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Motherwell, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Good hotel”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Went there for 2 weeks, it was a good hotel. Comfortable beds, good pool, pleasant staff, clean and overall nice. Only problem was that a mouse ran into the room a couple of times! But as the room as sliding doors that we opened to sit outside it's not the hotels fault the mouse came in, and it's certainly not because the hotel was dirty, cause it really wasn't! We alerted reception who offered to move us room, however we said it was fine as it's roaming somewhere in the hotel, just wanted to alert them incase anyone else discovers it and it's as compassionate as we were. Anyway, over all hotel, right next to Dairy Queen!! and within walking distance to Universal Studios. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Met_Management_Team, Director of Sales at Floridian Express, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your review of our Metropolitan Express! We do appreciate all reviews; especially our valued return clientele! With comments such as yours, our entire staff can feel confident they are accomplishing the goal of making the Metropolitan Express as special as we feel it is to our guests. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Hebrew first
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This hotel is disgusting. We stayed here for two nights last week. Our first room was on the second floor but it smelled so bad we asked for a different room. The outside doors are not locked, so anyone can go in and out of the hotel. I felt very unsafe. The carpets were so dirty looking I did not take off my shoes. The first morning there the fire alarm went off for over twenty minutes. We didn't know what was going on. Then I was washing my hair in the bathtub (which was so dirty, rusty and mildew-y (is that a word?) there was no way I was going to shower. The water turned to a trickle. By calling the front desk we were told that a water pipe on the second floor had burst and that the water was turned off. Nice.

We went for the continental breakfast, which consisted of bagels, toast, danish, and cereal. Waste of time. Before heading to Universal we packed up all of our belongings and put them in our rental car for the day, because that was safer than leaving our luggage in the room.

We were afraid to swim in the pool as the water was cloudy. The landscaping is in need of maintenance. I don't know when the professional pictures were taken, but that is NOT what the property looks like today.

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

P.S. If you look at one of the other poster's older pics, you'll see the vending and ice machines have "out of order" signs. They're still out of order. Probably the same signs.

Room Tip: My tip for choosing a good room is to find one in a better hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HoosierMom
Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your comments and we believe we have failed to meet your expectations. For failing you, we sincerely apologize. We appreciate comments and feedback from our valued guests, as it helps us work harder to improve and correct our failings. Hope you give us another opportunity soon to show we can meet and exceed all of your expectations!

Travelers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Let me first start by saying I hate leaving anything but sparkling reviews, and do not need much as a world travelor. First, the pros: the location is almost across the street from Wet n' Wild and within a 5 minute walk to many restaurants and bars, the beds are super comfy, the water is hot, the a/c is very cold and the staff is wonderful. The cons: the hotel is very dirty and dingy, there is only one elevator at one end of a very large hotel, the security entrances do not work so anyone can come in and out (and do), the carpets have not been cleaned in ages and the hotel is generally falling apart.

We had holes in our blackout curtains, the stairwell spelled of vomit and fresh carpet cleaner, our door keys reset themselves every 12 hours and the toilet ran...every night. There was a fire alarm at 4:40 in the morning, and we did not once see anyone from the hotel giving any type of guidance. Five fire trucks showed up, the alarm was shut off and we eventually wandered back to bed. The tv only has 12 channels, and none of them get good reception. The continental breakfast consists of a tiny room crowded by dozens of people fighting over bagels, bread and cereal. The shuttle is not continuous, only going to and returning from area attractions once a day.

However, the bed was clean, and the staff was very helpful. Since we had to get our room keys reset twice a day, we got to know them fairly well. When we asked if they could check the doppler for us, they were happy to do so. Also, when we asked that someone come out to repair the toilet, a maintainence man was sent out (both nights).

All in all, I have had better stays for less money in Orlando on I-drive. I have also stayed in much worse places, though I have never paid as much for them. I do not think I will be returning here unless the hotel is renovated sometime in the future.

Room Tip: There was no fridge or safe in our room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traveler33487
Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We like to hear from our valued clients to see how we can improve and appreciate all comments both good and bad. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback and it appears we have failed to meet your expectations. It is only with comments such as yours that we can continue to improve. Please come see us again soon!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I returned home from here yesterday, I must admit i was dreading it after reading the negative reviews. I was pleasantly surprised when i checked in they offered me a upstairs room, i asked could i have a room down stairs they obliged with out any hassle and where very courteous, but I think it could do with a new make over but i found it clean and in a very good location. I was pleasantly surprised that i had a fridge and microwave in my room which i found where a great asset. The breakfast lady is a absolute star for what she has to put up with, i used to take my tray from my room to get what i needed in one go instead of going back ward and forward and to gather all my rubbish and put it in the bin, some people just left it littered on the tables. I would stay at this hotel again without any hesitation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank joanio60
Thank you for your review of our Metropolitan Express! We do appreciate all reviews; especially our valued return clientele! With comments such as yours, our entire staff can feel confident they are accomplishing the goal of making the Metropolitan Express as special as we feel it is to our guests. We do have plans for renewing some of the furnishings in the near future; we hope you will come back and see all of our improvements also!!!
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Have recently stayed here and you get what you pay for really. Yes some of the public areas could do with a facelift but having stayed here a couple of years ago they have improved since then. The room was cleaned and bed made everyday. I think the upstairs rooms are better than downstairs. The breakfast lady deserves a medal for some of the idiots she has to clean up after and she always does it with a smile. The only thing I would like to see improved would be the sunbed cushions, they could do with replacing.
Like I said this place is cheap and cheerful, it is in a brilliant location in walking distance from universal and you have the choice of where to go at night being on I drive, chillis being one of our favourites.
Place to avoid for breakfast was Ponderosa, it was atrocious, good for a steak at night but avoid like the plague at night.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Guinness15
Mellieha, Malta
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Check in - funny smell all the way through public areas, corridor walls were painted a horrible dark brown - very gloomy. Bath tub had a rusted bottom, broken tile in bathroom. No lift so had to carry 4 heavy suitcases up a flight of stairs. Breakfast - continental was the same every day except for a change in the cake. Had a brand new 8gb SD card still in packing that was taken from our room. Complained & filled in a form but no reply to date! When enquiring about attraction tickets were asked to go to a timeshare presentation.

Room Tip: choose a room on ground floor overlooking the pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gary12958
Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback and it does appear in some areas we have failed to meet your expectations. For these items, we sincerely apologize. With comments and feedback from our valued guests, we will work harder to improve and show we can meet and exceed all of your expectations. Hope you give us another opportunity soon!
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Me & My Partner stayed here in September 2011 - We visited all the Disney parks etc. The hotel was perfect for us, Breakfast every morning, and a brilliant location. The Metropolitan Express is only a 10/15 min walk from both Island of Adventure/Universal, it also has a shuttle running every morning back and forth from Disney which was very handy, this did get busy though. We never failed to find something to eat at night so many places are walking distance or you can use the I-Drive to go up International Drive I would recommend the Ponderosa that was amazing. The hotel has WiFi in the lobby too so easy to speak to home, hotel was generally clean. Were now saving to go back to Florida and I would not think twice about staying back here. Perfect for us.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple