“Not as advertised”

Ranked #294 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
A TripAdvisor Member
Interlachen, Florida, USA
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I looked on line seeking a hotel with smoking rooms. This hotel stated that they had smoking rooms and they were aviliable. I bookedthe room and was very suprised when the hotel clerk informed me that they do not allow smoking in any of their rooms. We were commited for the weekend under false information.
Call the hotel in advance about their short commings befor uou book.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback and it appears we have failed to meet your expectations. For our shortcomings, we sincerely apologize. With comments and feedback from our valued guests, we will work harder to improve and show we can meet and exceed all of your expectations. Hope you give us another opportunity soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,579)

Reviewed May 5, 2012

I will be echoing many other reviewer's comments with much of what I write, but I shall comment regardless as I am only back from staying at the Metropolitan Express this afternoon after staying for 10 nights.
Granted, as many have stated, the hotel is fairly worn and in need of updating and a refurb, however, if you don't mind walking on dated carpets for a budget price, then do very much consider staying here. The hotel is superbly located; you can walk to the Universal complex in half an hour and you have all the amenities of I-Drive on your doorstep. There is free Wi-Fi in the hotel lobby which proves to be very popular. There is also an outside bar which is not terribly busy, however the staff there are very good and we enjoyed a couple of nights standing around the bar and socialising both with the staff and with other hotel guests. The staff in the hotel are in the most part helpful and friendly and fresh bedlinen and towels are given each day; I have stayed in other hotels around the world that don't do this on a daily basis.
Overall, if you are not seeking luxury, but do want a budget hotel that offers a great location, then you should definitely consider staying here. We paid little over £30 a night for a king-sized bed for ten nights. Granted, it ain't The Ritz, but how many of us really do spend a tremendous amount of time in their hotel room other than when sleeping there ?! I know that I don't, anyway; that's why I am recommending this hotel...

Room Tip: Rooms with poolside view will be noisier as the bar is located here.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Andy_79
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you for your review of our Metropolitan Express! We do appreciate all reviews; especially our valued return clientele! With comments such as yours, our entire staff can feel confident they are accomplishing the goal of making the Metropolitan Express as special as we feel it is to our guests. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!!

Reviewed May 2, 2012

We stayed here in March 2012, rooms are really nice, bathrooms are adequate, breakfast is continental, really handy for all amenities, being on International drive everywhere is easily accessable, staff are really friendly, free transportation to parks, handy for restaurants if wanting to eat out, but hotel has its own bar, there are free tea and coffee facilites in reception and free wi-fi, overall a very good stay would definitely go back

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Julie190786

Reviewed April 30, 2012

We got back yesterday and this hotel served us for what we wanted. We wanted somewhere central to International Drive to be able to access the theme parks each day, and shower/sleep at the hotel at night. This hotel has suffered harsh reviews and I think what you must understand is if you want 5* accommodation, you have to pay 5* prices. Don’t get me wrong, if I went on a beach holiday to Spain or somewhere, I would not be best pleased. There’s no entertainment programme and very little to do. But around you are the best theme parks in the world; I didn’t need to be entertained at my hotel. Shower was of good pressure and hot. Beds sheets were clean and comfortable. Clean towels each day too. The breakfast was continental. Which consisted of bagels, toast, cereal and pastries. But again, want 5* = pay 5*. Staffs were helpful and were not rude.
All I would say fairly negative was the free shuttle into Disney drops you off at Epcot, from there you have to make your own way. Which isn’t a problem as Disney offer a shuttle-to-all-area bus service. It’s just the hotel didn’t make that clear, and when we arrived at Epcot, we had to find our way from there. Like I said, not a problem, just a shock to not of been told.
One of the breakfast staff was extremely helpful. (Middle aged American/Caribbean lady) who happily went and got me a pastry even though breakfast had finished, chatty and friendly.
I cannot comment on the resort fee, we booked this hotel as a package on Expedia.com. And as far as I’m concerned a resort fee was included. I didn’t give a credit card at the desk and I had no need to 'check out'. I simply handed my key cards to the desk as we left. I do not know if we were supposed to pay a fee or not.
If you do stay here, go up the Drive to 'sweet Tomato's'. VERY nice restaurant. Thousands of salad items, 5 soups, 3 pasta, jacket pots and loads of cakes and ice cream
I would defiantly recommend this hotel to someone who wanted to stay in a prime location of International Drive, and didn’t require more than a bed/bath from the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lee k

Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stayed here April 2012. Great hotel excellent location you can walk to universal studios/island of adventure,wet and wild across the road. The Hotel lays on transport to sea world and aquatica. Free wifi in lobby is a boost the only thing that lets this hotel/motel down is the breakfast area is a little overcrowded at times and the two breakfast staff are rude and make comments about the holidaymakers behind their backs. Apart from this two staff the hotel is good value and would stay again hopefully next time they have breakfast staff that can cope when it gets busy.

Room Tip: some ground floors have a patio table overlooking the pool which helps if there is no seats at break...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank aross67

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I have stayed for 13 days , friendly staff, great location. They charge $5 resort fee and $4 to $10 for every package they receive, free wifi only in the lobby but if you are willing to pay $8 per day you can use in the room, great value, I will definitily return.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mito1966
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We like to hear from our valued clients to see how we can improve and appreciate all comments both good and bad. It is only with comments such as yours that we can continue to improve. Please come see us again soon!

Reviewed April 16, 2012

We had what was overall a great holiday in and around Disney World but we had planned to stay for the full duration in Pop Century. 5 days in we realised the intensity of Disney was too much so looked for a cheap hotel on I-Drive for an escape. Metropolitan Express came up trumps on price and did a great job for us. We booked in for 2 nights initially but added a 3rd night. Basic accomodation but great value, and good location on I-Drive. Our time on I-Drive made us realise this was a place you could come back to once a year (whereas Disney alone is a once every 5 years experience IMO). Also big heads up for the Tiki bar and Pool area. Great relaxation, friendly staff and good value booze. Avoid if you want luxury but if you just want a good basic base then this place was ideal

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family