“Suntera stay March 2 to March 9, 2007”

Diamond Resorts Grand Beach
Ranked #41 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Ontario Canada
“Suntera stay March 2 to March 9, 2007”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2007

Exchanged through RCI for this resort and stayed in a two bedroom 3rd floor unit in building 8.

You enter into the kitchen and immediately came up against a large round kitchen table. Very hard to get around it especially with a luggage cart. Kitchen was fine, well stocked with all the appliances and utensils for a weeks stay. Livingroom had a pull out couch that was not very comfortable. TV was way too small I think it was about a 25" . Door to balcony was just about ready to break and the balcony was in much need of upgrades. Our wonderful view was a bunch of electrical lines from the power plant. Traffic on state road 535 was crazy and noisy.

Master bedroom was very big with a nice king size bed large jacuzzi tub and nice shower. Master also had a small TV.

Second bathroom as well was nice and big and decorated well. The second bedroom though had two twin beds and we found the room to be very small. Could barely get into the closet as one bed was right against it. The room also did not have a TV and really should have. So called dresser looked like wooden slats put together not very impressed.

Mid week housekeeping was nice as most resorts don't do this anymore.

Found the a/c to be extremely noisy, large unit was located in the ceiling outside the bedroom doors in the hallway. Washer and dryer were full size.

The resort itself does not have gated security and there was a note in our package that said they were experiencing vehicle breakins in the area, so don't leave anything valuable in them.

This did not make me feel secure at all. The pool areas were very nice, we had what looked like a newer pool by our building with a hot tub area, and there is also a pool at the main check in building. Both were well heated but lacked a bar at both. I also found they should really announce all daily actiivities over some kind of a speaker as you didn't know what was happening at the check in pool from the other pool.

We did the timeshare tour, was very pressured at check in to take it even though we kept telling the girl Shelley that we didn't want to. THis was a mistake the manager was very rude and basically called us liars. We told them from the beginning that we were not interest in Sunoption points or any other timeshare as we already had 3 of them. He kept on and on. Never again.

Sunterra Grand Beach resort was OK, I don't think we will exchange back though as I just did not feel very secure there. I would have looked to have seen the 3 bedroom units though, as I am sure they are much larger than the 2 bedroom ones.

• Liked — heated pools and location
  • Disliked — Lack of security and small unit
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank SiobhanB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Polish first
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2007

I just got back from a week at the resort from Feb. 24 to March 3. The overall experience was quite nice. Check-in went smooth and the attendants are very friendly and helpful. The buildings are in reasonable shape. However, they could use a fresh paint job. There was a smell walking down the hallways to the units, which I believe was caused by using carpet in the halways. With the humidity that occurs in Florida it doesn't take long for carpets to get a damp musty smell. When they do the renovations, they should remove the carpet and use tiles.

The resort is located on a small lake and has a beach and a boardwalk that goes along the beachfront. There are numerous birds and ducks that populate the water areas around the resort. I noticed a lot of children and adults enjoyed watching and feeding them. The landscaping around the resort is beautiful and well maintained. I found it very relaxing taking walks around the resort and down on the boardwalk. In the morinings, at the break of dawn you could hear the birds chirping, which I enjoyed being a morining person.

There are two pool areas. One near the front desk area and the other one at the far west side of the property. Both have large pools and hot tubs. The one near the front desk is the nices as it has beautiful tropical landscaping around it. The other one is nice but for some reason it doesn't seem part of the resort as it is located a good walking distance away from the closest building. I am not sure why they put it so far away unless there is plans to build a new building beside it in the future.

The resort also has well maintained shuffleboard, basketball, and tennis courts.

I had a three bedroom villa in building 6. I was on the fourth floor and had a nice view of the lake in the distance. Each villa has a huge screened in balcony that has cottage type patio furniture on it and ceiling fan. There are double french doors that open leading out to the balcony. This makes it possible to open the french doors fully allowing the balcony to become part of the livingroom. It is a great feature of the unit and unlike any I have seen at the numerous other resorts I have stayed at. In fact, the balcony area is one of the best things I found staying there. I just couldn't believe the size. Great job!

Inside the villa, the furniture is in reasonable shape but a bit dated. I would say that the villa itself could use a remodeling and a fresh paint job. I am not saying the villa is dirty because it isn't. But it's time for refurbishing. There is a full kitchen in the unit with what looks like a new fridge, stove, and microwave. In addition, the unit comes with a washer and drier. While I was there they supplied enough laudry detergent for me to do my laundry during the week. In addition, there was a free mid week cleaning of the unit.

I am a Marriott owner and would consider most of their resorts to be a 5. The Grand Beach doesn't have the same quality as Marriott. However, the landscaping around the resort is very nice and the space inside the villa is great. In addition, as I said earlier the balcony is a great bonus. Right now I would rate the Grand Beach as a 3.5. I would recommend it as a nice clean place to stay. If they re-model their units and tile the hallway going to the units to get rid of that annoying smell, I could see that this resort would easily rate a 4 or 4.5

• Liked — The size of the three bedroom villa,the huge balcony,the lake, and the location
  • Disliked — The smell in the corridor leading to the villa
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank tahititreat
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2007

This is the second time my husband and I stayed at this resort for two weeks (Jan 21 to Feb 11).

Positive points:
1. The rooms are very spacious and clean. The location is excellent - very convenient to Theme Parks and Attractions.

2. We feel "right at home" when staying at this resort. We like to cook and prepare our own food. So, the kitchen is very spacious and the appliances are very good.

3. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly.

4. If you are a timeshare owner/exchanger -- your room is cleaned on the third and last day of your visit. The staff did an excellent job cleaning.

Negative points
1. Try to reserve a room on the highest floor level. You will hear every sound above you. The kitchen chairs are on ceramic tile flooring and you hear whenever someone moves, including heavy walkers. This really didn't bother me..I just wish I remembered to take the highest floor.

2. I saw two large bugs. Got scared. I think this resort needs better exterminating.

3. You pay for local phone calls. I have stayed at other resorts, and phone calls are usually free to timeshare owners/exchangers. I was surprised at this charge.

Overall, I will stay at this place again. I recommend it wholeheartedly. Have a GREAT vacation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No comment
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ScrabbleNut
Upper Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2007

My family and I just got back from vacationing in Orlando - we stayed at the Grand Beach 5 nights. I was traveling with my 2 children, ages 8 and 5 and my husband. We stayed in one of the 3 bedroom units which are very nice - really big! After reading reviews on trip advisor I decided to request a top floor room so as to not hear the noise of the chairs on the kitchen tile floors. Well......let me tell you - it didn't make much of a difference. You could hear chairs moving on the tile next door and downstairs - it really doesn't matter what floor you're on! The occasional noise we heard from other rooms didn't bother us though - we weren't in our room enough. Plus top floor rooms have strange outdoor sunrooms! On the top floor instead of there being a regular railing and it being screened in there is an actual wall!! So if you are sitting outside in the sunroom you have NO view! You are looking at the wall!! I thought that it was rather strange! Also if you want a view make sure you request it and don't get a top floor unit.

We got in kind of late and really couldn't find the front desk either - it is kind of tucked behind the welcome center where they do all of the timeshare presentation stuff. We did the timeshare presentation thing and it went well - we just told them no from the very beginning and they were fine with it. Got out of there in about an hour too! It wasn't bad.

Everyone has there own different opinions on places that they stay - so if you are used to staying at Super 8 then this place is going to look like a million dollar resort, but if you're used to staying at a place like Marriott Grand Vista, then this place is going to be a notch down from that. Guess it's really what you're comparing it too. It just doesn't have all of the extra amenities that some of the other resorts do. Although I'm sure eventually it will.

This place has beautiful landscaping and was clean and very well maintained. The 2 pool areas were very clean - both have kiddie pools and hot tubs. Very nice! You need your room key to get into the pool areas too - which I thought was good - so not just anyone could come and use the pool. Especially since there isn't a gate/gateguard that you have to go through to get into this resort. Anyone can just drive in. It looks like eventually when Sunterra is done with all of the expansion that they want to do - then it will be a really, really nice resort. Will have a resterant or deli then too. I missed not being able to get food right on sight, although there is a lot of food places around.

We didn't have any issues with bugs or a dirty room - although I'm sure when Sunterra is through with the updating of the resort I'm sure all of the rooms will be updated too. They do have different activities at the resort during the day - but you have to go down to the lobby to check. Would've liked an activities list when we checked in - but I don't know if there is enough activities going on there for that. We weren't around to do any activities anyway!

Overall I really enjoyed staying at this resort and would surely stay there again. It has a nice beach and fishing docks also. The little "pier" there looks like it was just recently redone too. It was fun to feed all of the ducks! Our family had a great time here.

Stayed February 2007
7 Thank snowflake13
Bemidji, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

Grand Beach is a truly wonderful resort, especially for families and larger groups. Let me start with the rooms. By far, they are the best features of the resort. I have stayed at the resort twice, once a few years ago and then now over New Years 06/07. Both times we had a very large room: 3 bedroom, 3 bath, living room, kitchen, laundry, and balcony. The rooms are also well-stocked. Two bedrooms have king-size beds and private bathrooms with jacuzzi tubs. The third bedroom has two twin beds. Each bedroom--plus the living room--has a TV set, perfect for our group of 8. The kitchen comes with dishes, pots, pans, silverware, not to mention a standard fridge, range, oven, and dishwasher. The small laundry room has a washer/dryer combo. Overall, the rooms are fantastic! I would be willing to go almost anywhere if I was guaranteed rooms like that.

The premises are the second best thing. The Grand Beach is set right on Lake Bryan. There is a sand beach along most of the shore, though I wouldn't reccommend lying down for a tan on it. There is, however, a nice sidewalk along most of the shore which takes you through the resort. One of the very nice surprises of this visit was the new pool complex a short 100 ft from the buildings. There is a large standard pool, a smaller children's pool, and a hot tub. This is all in addition to a second (the original) pool area, located behind the reception building. The complex also has a tennis court and a basketball court, both of which are in good condition. Of course, the main reason people come to Orlando is for Disney. The resort is located very close to the parks--only 5 minutes from Downtown Disney, about 10 minutes from Epcot, 15 or 20 from Animal Kingdom. It is also very close to SeaWorld.

Finally, the staff. We found them to be very friendly and very helpful. The front desk was always able to help with any problems. We had to call maintenance once because of a leaking shower head, and they came immediately. Housekeeping was just as amicable. It should be noted, though, that as the complex is more of an apartment-style place, housekeeping only comes once a week. I cannot say enough good things about the staff. Beware: the timeshare salespeople are very good at their jobs!

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — The distance to the pool, though it's not that bad
  • Tips/Secrets — The Kennedy Space Center is only a short distance away. Consider taking a day off from Disney to explore this, especially if you have younger children.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank maestro87
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2006

We spent a week at the Grand Beach 9/10 - 9/17, and really hated to leave. The resort is beautifully landscaped, and our 3BR, 3BA suite was great. While the furniture in the living room showed some wear, it was clean and I had no complaints. We were in Building 4, and had NO complaints of noise at all, with the one exception of the running shower next door one morning.

Everything in the unit worked just fine. The front desk personnel were very friendly. Parking was plentiful and convenient, even when we returned really late in the evening. Although the fitted sheet on the king-sized bed could have fitted better, it wasn't a big deal at all. The bathroom was far, far nicer than the master bath in my own home--it made me very jealous.

I do, however, recommend avoiding the sharks in the sales office. They are friendly enough, but I could not see the value in what they were trying to sell me.

As a timeshare swap, this place is fabulous if you are going to visit Uncle Walt or Shamu. I highly recommend it!

• Liked — The size and amenities of the suite
  • Disliked — The wear beginning to show on the furniture in the living room
  • Tips/Secrets — Shhhhh!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
14 Thank COLHerin
Myrtle Beach, SC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2006

We've just returned from spending a week at the Embassy Grand Beach Resort. You couldn't ask for a better location as it is VERY convenient to the parks, shopping, and I -4.

The 3 bedroom unit we had was large, clean, and comfortable, although furnishings were clearly in need of an up-date . The grounds and pool areas were beautiful and welll maintained.

They were in the process of doing construction in Building #7 ( we were in Building #6 overlooking the Pond & Lake). According to our check-in Info packet, construction was to take place from 8 til 5 and would encompass some jack-hammering for tile replacements ....... Well, the noise began some mornings at 7 and continued some nights until 8 !!!

That combined with what must have been either a family of circus performers or roller derby participants staying above us did not make for a quiet & restful stay. Ohhhh, and let me not forget to mention the person staying in Building # 8 ( their newest building with the beautiful model, that they show & try to sell prospective buyers, during the timeshare presentation) with not one but two dogs !!! I pity the folks with allergies who find themselves in that unit.

We came "home" one day to find that our unit had been entered ......... linens exchanged, etc.... Then the next day came
"home" to find that our unit had been entered AGAIN and the alarm clocks had been replaced with new ones in all three bedrooms. Well, we felt violated ......... called the front desk and their reply was ...... Well, you have a Do Not Disturb Sign, don't you ?!? Put it on your door and no one will go into your unit ....... Uh, can you say Count to Ten ?!?!

Sooooooo, if you decide to stay here just remember to pack your pet allergy medication; request a top floor unit; place your Do Not Disturb Sign on the door the minute you arrive; bring ear plugs for the noise; a Just Say No sticker in case you decide to attend the presentation ( which by the way, the longer you hold out in saying yes to attending, the more stuff you get); and have a GREAT time.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends