“Good location and rooms but the service was exemplary.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando - International Drive / Convention Center
Ranked #144 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I traveled to Orlando for a convention in late April/early May 2010. The convention hotels were booked up so I got a good deal with Embassy Suites. The rooms were clean and comfortable and quiet. I am a very light sleeper and was a little concerned when I was above the pool but there was no problem since it closes and they are good at enforcing this rule. The bed was extremely comfortable, not too hard or soft, and it's nice to have the living room between you and the hotel hallway because it reduces the noise.
It was nice to be able to grab breakfast on the way to the convention and though it was nothing special it had a good variety (omelettes, bagels, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt). I agree with the previous reviews that it is annoying to have to pay for internet and that would be my one recommendation to the Embassy Suites is just because other hotels do it doesn't make it right.

The location is great. Walking distance to convention center and very wide selection from restaurants in the area with the I-ride trolley stop right outside the hotel.

This is a very pleasant hotel but the thing that makes it stand out was the service. From the moment you walked in I was impressed. From the attentive check in to their helping me w/ my key to get in to the fitness room as well as the manager's reception. I have stayed in all kinds of hotels and have always felt a hotel is a hotel but one w/ good service is what makes it stand out.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank erinbeth

Reviewed May 7, 2010

This is the most friendly hotel we have stayed in, it is a gem in the heart of Orlando.

My review will not go anywhere close enough to do it justice.

Even before our stay, I was amazed by the response to emails I had sent to the hotel asking about a few items such as shuttle times etc and a few personal requests. You really get the feeling that everyone will do all they can to accommodate the guests and make the trip as enjoyable and special as possible. And that your individual stay is exceptionally important to them.

We had initially booked a 14 night stay at this hotel but due to the Air Traffic problems linked with the Icelandic Volcano, our visit ended us being extended by a further 9 days. This gave us even more time to appreciate the facilities of the Hotel but also time to be further amazed by the friendliness, kindness and the exceptional way the staff go above and beyond to ensure their guests enjoy their stay. I will talk of this later in my review.

Approaching the Hotel it looks proud and welcoming stood in the quieter and in my opinion, more refined location at the southern end of International Drive.
As mentioned before in other reviews, there is the I-Ride stop number 22 just outside the hotel and also a Lynx stop.
Nearby restaurants all within very easy walking distance include the delicious and exceptionally friendly Olive Garden, Tony Roma’s, Sizzlers, Pizza Hut, Subway, Bahama Breeze, Cattlemans Steakhouse, Ponderosa, TGI Friday’s, Boston Lobster Feat, Friendly’s, Houlihan and not too far away, Ming Court.

As soon as you walk towards to entrance of the hotel you are greeted by cheery faces from whatever member of staff is one duty at that particular time.

You walk in the entrance lobby/reception area and the WOW factor kicks in, the atrium further in to the hotel invites you to wander further in to complete the first impression experience.

The Reception staff greet you with a smile and deal with your check-in in a speedy and professional manner, offering any additional information that may be necessary to ensure you feel at home and acquainted with the surrounding of the Hotel immediately.
We found all other occasions when we either went to the Reception desk with a query or just passed by on our way in or out of the Hotel there was a smiley face and cheerful greeting.

Our room (number 218) was delightful, it was a corner room, facing the I4 Interstate but we never found the sound of passing vehicles a nuisance, this was great, as in our own home we live in a rural area with no sounds at all, so we found ourselves pleasantly surprised to not be bothered by the sounds of passing traffic.
In fact it is a point to note that the whole hotel seems extremely well soundproofed and we never noticed noise form rooms above or to the side of us even though we knew they were occupied.

The living area of the suite appeared huge and we made use of the Double sofa bed for one of the members of our party for the duration of the holiday and most days left the bed in situ rather than pack it away each day, we still had plenty of space to move about in the living area, and didn’t feel too cluttered.
We had a full size under the counter fridge, with small ice box (the icebox didn’t tend to freeze items though unless they were flat against the surface, but this didn’t pose a problem for us). We also had a microwave and coffee maker. (The coffee maker didn’t appear to boil the water to a temperature good enough to make a decent cup of tea, again this wasn’t a problem but if you are a tea drinker, it might be worth taking a travel kettle or asking to see if Reception have a kettle you could make use of).

Everyday the stock of complimentary toiletries was replenished, these items consisted of mini shampoo, conditioner, soap and body lotion.

A couple of days we returned to our room to find swans or elephants made out of towels on the beds. This was a great treat and a nice touch.

The main bedroom had large patio doors with a narrow balcony, it had net curtains as well as fully lined black out curtains so your room remained private to people walking past outside. Our room had leafy trees outside the windows so this also gave a degree of additional privacy but without appearing to block out any sunlight.
We had two double beds which were very comfortable. There is also a large flat screen tv in both the living room and the bedroom.
The wardrobe was a brilliant size to hang all our holiday clothes and the sideboard was huge with plentiful drawer space to pack everything away.
There was a hairdryer and Iron and Ironing board in the room.

On every even numbered floor there is a laundry corner with a washing machine, tumble drier and soap powder vending machine.
There are plentiful selections of Ice Machine which you can take the Ice Bucket from your room to fill up for free. There are also food and drink vending machines dotted all around the hotel if you fancy some munchies or are thirsty and don’t want to wander down to the shop.

The shop is fairly small but sells everything you could possibly need from toiletries, clothes, food and drink to souvenirs. The gentleman there seemed a little shy but once he got to know us we had great chats.

The Managers Reception was a lovely added extra to the stay and it was so brilliant to be given something for free these days, I thoroughly enjoyed trying the different cocktails on offer whilst my husband chilled with a beer and his daughter quenched her thirst on soft drinks. The snacks they provided were lovely and plentiful, the salsa dip and ranch dressing were especially nice and to think this was all laid on for free. I was surprised at how many guests seemed to forget to offer tips to the ever friendly and jovial bar staff.
This daily event provided us with a great opportunity to mingle with other guests and was the thing that helped us to make friends with people and through this we have created a great friendship with another couple from the UK who ordinarily we may never had sat and chatted with as we would have just been guests that passed each other by during our stay. But because of these free drinks/snacks one or other of the couples would grab a spot ready for our evening catch-ups and our daily laughs. What a brilliant way to end each evening.

The shuttles laid on for free went at times we felt were suitable to enable you to visit the parks and we even managed to stay to the firework display at Disney Hollywood Studios and still get the shuttle back.

The outside swimming pool was never crowded and most of our stay the inside pool was empty so we felt like we had our own private sauna, hot tub Jacuzzi and pool when we visited it.
Both pools had plenty enough chairs and loungers to chill on when we didn’t fancy a dip.
There was piped music which we felt was an added touch, it was not too loud but enough to unwind and relax to.
Outside there were little lizards sometimes popping out of the undergrowth but these never became a nuisance or bothered us as they scupper out of your way if you go towards them. I normally hate all reptiles but I found them really cute and fascinating.
There was always a plentiful stock of fluffy white towels to use in either of the pools.

The Business Centre was great as we could use the internet for free and had use of the printer etc which proved a great help in our holiday, there was also a space where we could take our laptop and use that there, thereby allowing us access to all our own files and documents etc.

The breakfast buffet was always fresh and the area kept spotlessly clean and hygienic. The selection was brilliant, from memory there were good quality yogurts, apples, oranges, bananas muffins, bagels, mini Danish pastries, bread and a toaster to put it through yourself, jams, Philadelphia cheese portions, butters, four different selections of cereals, from memory, raisin bran, fruit loops, cornflakes and cherries, also grits and porridge with a selection of different granola sprinkle to add if you so wish.
The cooked selection was eggs, scrambled or fried to your own specific request. The choice of omelettes was mind blowing but extremely fresh and tasty.
There was crispy bacon, sausages, corned beef hash, breakfast potato chunks, French toast and pancakes.
There was also little extras such as chocolate sauce, maple syrup and salsa portions.
There were fruit juice and iced tea/soda vending machines to help yourself from and hot drinks machines also providing hot water for cups of tea or hot chocolate.

The Atrium where the seating is for the dining area was nice and bright and airy and the seating area didn’t feel to cluttered so you felt you had space around you whilst you were eating. It was lovely to sit amongst leafy lush plants and rockeries with gentle waterfalls.

The staff where very quick to clean crockery etc away but never in an overbearing manner, two members of staff shone out for us and they were Elene and Alyssa I think.

I never ate in the Fisheye grill restaurant so can’t comment on that but the seating area was tastefully decorated and looked really nice.

The Concierge area seemed to have a lot of information and the chap on the desk – Robbie I think his name was is very friendly and appeared to be very helpful to those needing assistance.

Other people who we feel need an extra special mention are Robert who genuinely seemed sad to see us leave when we finally got the call to go home, Teresa, Cody, Alvera, Tiffany, Ken and we have saved the best till last, Dee. Well what can we say about Dee, for us he was the highlight of the hols with his cheery face and greeting everytime we saw him, he always seems so pleased to see us and always made the time to stop and chat with us, like we were VIP Guests. He made my step-daughters day by showing us his spiderman skills by performing his back flips and acrobatics. He also came and personally brought her a leaving gift on the day we eventually set off for home.

Talking of going home, as mentioned previously, we were some of the Brits who found themselves stranded across the Atlantic when we couldn’t get flights home to the UK. The hotel was amazing and made the situation as painless as possible by always making sure we had our places in our rooms extended each time we heard that the possibility of going home had been further delayed. We luckily never felt we were going to be booted out of our rooms like other guests in other hotels nearby. As soon as the situation regarding being stranded happened the hotel immediately offered all UK guests stranded 50% off any bill in the Fisheye Grill Restaurant. They also allowed us to make some emergency and important calls from the reception desk free of charge. We also were provided with and amazing offer for Internet Access in our room (don’t want to shout what it was just in case someone shouldn’t have done so and don’t want any person to get in trouble, but if staff read these reviews, thanks to whoever it was).

But finally the thing that touched us most once we were stranded was the fact that the hotel organised and provided us with a free Pizza Party put on just especially for all the stranded brits in their hotel. It showed us all how cared for and important we were as guests. We found special invites put under our doors and when the evening came around we all could not believe the amount of effort and thought that had gone into the party, the volumes of free food laid on for us all was astounding, I think we all only just managed to finish the food before we all rolled off happily to our rooms. It was a really happy evening full of laughter amidst all the trauma and stress and uncertainty of being stranded abroad.

For anyone unsure whether to book this hotel, go for it you will not be disappointed.

For anyone who has booked and is just checking out the reviews before your hols, you are in for a real treat.

Finally, for all the staff at the Embassy Suites, thank you for making our stay so memorable, watch out, one day we will be back. You are stars.

6  Thank cypruslover2008
J-Parkinson, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando - International Drive / Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2010

Thank you so much for the great review! I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to the culture in this hotel. I am very happy we could turn what could have been a stressful experience into a memorable visit! I will be sure to pass this on to all the team members you mentioned!

See you next time!

John L. Parkinson
john.parkinson@hilton.com

Reviewed May 4, 2010

My stay at Embassy Suites was SUPERB. The staff made a good impact on my family
stay. Everybody was so kind.

1  Thank janiceellis
Reviewed May 2, 2010

We stayed in a basic suite which has 2 'rooms and therefore by European standards is large. It was clean and comfortable with flat screen TVs, kitchenette which comprised of sink, tea/coffee maker and fridge which is very useful.

The inclusive breakfast was good with eggs/omlettes etc cooked to order to supplement the buffet.

If you want to walk to bars and restaurants in the evening then Embassy suites is ideally placed with plenty of places easily accessible and as it's on the more 'sophisticated' end of I.drive walking is a pleasant experience.

The interstate I4 is behind the hotel, but unless you have the windows open there is no noise. and the 'sitting room' buffers any noise from the hotel corridors.

The managers welcome drinks between 5.30 and 7.30 evey night are free, but unfortunately this seemed to be the only time when the bar was open. The hotel does have a restaurant, but we did not try it and midweek it looked very empty.

Overall the hotel manages the balance bewteen business and leisure visitors well.

Like most - location and breakfast.
Like least - having to pay for internet access

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Unfortunately this was not the best hotel we stayed in( of the 4 on our recent trip). Upon entering you are greeted with a distinct 'musty' smell. It is a large hotel with a large atrium including waterfall (probably the source of the smell as it seemed a little old).
Our room smelt very musty or moldy as soon as you entered also.
The room was clean enough and reasonably spacious and our bed was very comfortable (one of the best we had on these travels). However we backed onto a highway which was extremely noisy 24 hours a day. The noise was too great to have the sliding door open, plus we got the smells from the kitchen below when we opened it in the morning.
Breakfast was terrible, seemed like a lot of choice, but very poor quality.
The young male concierge was helpful, however on the Sunday the female was of no help and had trouble answering basic questions. I ended up looking things up myself on the internet.
House keeping do origami like towel folding which was very novel.

Reviewed March 19, 2010

This was our second stay at the Embassy Suites International Drive, we have usually stayed at the Quality Inn Plaza just up the road, but now would stay nowhere else but the Embassy Suites.

Having had a good room last year we requested this one again this year and got it with no problems. The suite was nice and large, the bedroom having 2 double beds and the lounge having a pull out sleeper sofa are more than adequate for our needs. The rooms are nice and clean, housekeeping calls in daily, the towels and bathroom are alway sorted and the beds made (although they didn't make the beds on a couple of days), The suite overlooks I4 and but the noise isn't too bad and quickly just becomes a background hum when the balcony doors are closed. You also get a view of all the Disney firework displays.

It was my birthday as we arrived, and the first thing house keeping did was bring up a cake, which not only was a lovely gesture it tasted nice too, then on the next day there was also balloons and chocolates. These were all lovely touches and although I left a card for John Parkinson the General Manager to say thank you, I would also like to say thank you to him now so that other people know how good he and the hotel staff are. Robert on the Front Desk was lovely and very helpful and Jose the Handyman was always on hand if anyone had a problem. In general all the staff were very friendly and a cheery good morning/evening was given by everyone.

Although the hotel was full, there was never a line for breakfast and we always got a good table in the Atrium, the breakfast was always nice and the managers cocktails in the evening are always welcome when you return from the days adventures.

There are plenty of very nice restaurants within easy walking distance and Pointe is just a few minutes walk away.

We enjoy the Emabassy Suites so much we booked them for our trip to Canada and will be using this hotel again on our next visit to Orlando.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FrankW16
Reviewed March 17, 2010

We stayed here for two nights in March. Location is great, with many great restaurants around. But when I got in the shower, I kept feeling dripping ice water on my head. It took me a few minutes to figure out that there was a PVC dripline coming right out of the center of the bathtub ceiling. Thinking it was a release from a bathroom leak above me, I went down to the front desk who told me that all bathrooms had this, and that it was the condensation drip from the a/c in the room. The lady told me the only way to avoid ice water from dripping on my head was to turn off the a/c for 30 minutes before your shower, and to keep it off until after you stepped out of the tub. This is really bizarre, and I'm surprised that A) the builders would have allowed this in the design of the rooms and B) other TripAdvisors haven't mentioned it yet. If management is listening, why does the a/c drip into the center of the bathtub, and is it really this way in every bathroom?
Other that that, the rooms are dated and tired but clean. There were several members of our group that complained of moldy and musty smells in their rooms. My other complaint was the $10 daily charge for wireless internet - nobody charges for wireless internet anymore. Trying to be funny with the nice girl at the front desk about paying for wireless internet, I also asked her if the hotel also provided banks of payphones for guest use - she didn't understand my joke and pointed my way to where there actually were payphones.
Positives about the hotel are the friendliness of the staff, and the value of the overall product with the larger rooms, free cocktails, and free breakfast. I don't particularly care for the school cafeteria style of serving breakfast, but if I were here with my wife and kids on a family vacation (like it seems this hotel is designed for), I'd probably appreciate it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business