“Some drawbacks, but not a bad place overall”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando - International Drive / Convention Center
Ranked #178 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Auburn, WA
“Some drawbacks, but not a bad place overall”
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a conference in June of 2008. I chose it specifically because I've always liked the Embassy Suites hotels; I like the hot breakfast and the full suites. I arrived after a grueling 8-hour flight and an over 2-hour wait for a shuttle to the hotel (there were 14,000 people in the area for the conference), and made it just barely in time to catch the last five minutes of the manager's reception. I took my glass of wine with me up to the room before I even dropped off my bags. ;-) I caught that manager's reception every night, and the bartender was great; by the second night, she was pouring my wine as soon as she saw me, and was unfailingly friendly and efficient.

I was a little taken aback by the room; it was very dim and smelled extremely musty (I later found out this is pretty common for Orlando; everything is humid and rather mildewy owing to the climate). I was also disappointed to get a third-floor room DIRECTLY over the HVAC units when I'd specifically requested a high floor. The rooms have no windows, just a tiny little balcony (it's actually too narrow to stand on), and my balcony overlooked the aforementioned giant (LOUD) HVAC units and the freeway. Not exactly scenic.

The rooms are peculiar; to admit some light to the living room, they have floor-to-ceiling windows on either side of the front door which look out onto the hallway. Given that people are going up and down the hall right outside those windows, it's not as if you can leave the curtains open. The layout otherwise is nice; the bedroom especially was quite spacious.

Lighting over the desk/table was somewhat inadequate, and the hotel charged $10/day to use their wi-fi, which seems excessive to me. Power outlets were adequate. The bedding was quite comfortable and there were ample lamps and lights in the bedroom. I can't comment on the TVs, as I never turned them on, nor the pools, as I never used them. The elevators were slower than molasses.

I really appreciated the mini-fridge and microwave, since I was there for a week. It would have been nice to have a real coffeemaker, not a miniature one. I very much disliked the air conditioning; the filters obviously badly needing changing, as the a/c was causing me horrible allergy issues. I tried turning it off and opening the balcony slider, but between the heat and humidity, the bugs (there's no screen on the slider, which I find extremely peculiar), and the exhaust fumes from the HVAC and the freeway, that wasn't practical as an option. As other reviewers have mentioned, there's a constant white noise from the A/C. Probably not a bad thing, since the plumbing is quite loud; you hear every nearby shower and toilet flush.

Weirdly, the wastebaskets in the suite were never emptied during my week-long stay, even though housekeeping had clearly been in to make the bed and replace linens. Since I quite often have dinner in my room (and thus have food waste to dispose of), that was a distressing oversight. I also came back to my room twice after housekeeping had been in and found the door wasn't all the way closed, which was unnerving. Anyone could have simply pushed it open.

Hotel staff were very helpful, when I did have occasion to deal with them. I needed to print a boarding pass on the last day of my stay, but the printers in the business center were both malfunctioning. The desk clerk was kind enough to print it for me. The valets out front were especially helpful and friendly.

The lines for the hot breakfast were horrifically long each morning, so I ended up giving up on it. I never did have a made-to-order breakfast during my stay. The coffee at breakfast was AWFUL. I know I'm a coffee snob, but that stuff was paint remover.

The location is quite convenient - far enough off I-Drive to not get too much noise, but right there for all the restaurants, shops, etc. Don't count on using the I-Drive Trolley to get around, though - I had three of them pass me up one night before I gave up on that as a form of transportation.

Overall, this wasn't an unpleasant stay, but I think the Jamaican Court Embassy Suites is a slightly nicer hotel, and there are options much closer to the convention center (it's within walking distance, presuming you don't pass out from the heat and humidity) if you want to avoid having to rent a car.

• Liked — The full suite and the location
  • Disliked — The musty odor, the ghastly view, and the lack of natural light
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank geniph

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
New York
Reviewed September 6, 2008

The female staff at the desk were very condescending, but the men were much nicer. The women didn't feel like answering questions and made that clear.
The room (after my fight with one of these women) was clean, spacious,and well appointed. Overall, the hotel was good, but we were disappointed in the shuttle service and its limited schedule. The website implies that the shuttle goes to all of the parks, but you have to transfer at the transportation center.
The breakfast was disappointing, and the lines for the Manager's Special were always way too long.
I've stayed at other Embassy Suites that were much better.

• Liked — clean, spacious rooms
  • Disliked — staff members at the front desk
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Beatrice01
Bedford
Reviewed August 27, 2008

The staff make the hotel, always pleasent and professional. Its probably due for a makeover soon, the sun ages things fast! I stayed during a tropical storm, there was over 6 inches of rain in 24 hours I think. The hotel put on free movies during the storm which was thoughtful. There was always a line for the free drinks at the mangers reception, but the hotel bar/restaurant was good, the food was edible but around average. Its well situated for holiday and business travellers, I had no problems with noise and the shower was good!

• Liked — Clean and well maintained
  • Disliked — Bit dark
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Just returned from our vacation today. I was quite dissapointed with the rooms.They were very humid and musky. The A/C was very loud. The floor was damp.

The rooms need to be updated.The bathroom sink was broken and the paint was chipped on the wall and door.

The first day we arrived we had breakfast. It was so awful that we decided to eat out the remainder of the trip.

I have stayed at many Embassy Suites and never experienced anything like this before. I certainly wont do it again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — unclean and outdated room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
ireland
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 12 nights in June 2008.
We wanted to go to the theme parks and also to relax by the pool on a couple of days and this hotel was just perfect for what we wanted.
Firstly, the hotel staff were so accomodating. The concierge were really friendly and helpful, as were the reception staff. The reception staff took some postcards from me that I needed to mail and they didnt charge, its nice to get something for nothing now and again!!
The staff in the breakfast were very friendly aswell. Every morning we had the same experience, staff coming over asking us was the breakfast ok and did we need anything else. Breakfast was lovely. Omelettes and Pancakes cant be beaten and they have a good range of juices/cereals/fruit too.
The outdoor pool is small, but there are plenty of sun loungers there and it is very quiet during the day as most of the people are out at the parks. The indoor pool is lovely and relaxing aswell. My husband used the gym and, while it was small, he said the equipment that was there was good.
Also, we used the business centre which has complimentary internet access. This was good for checking flights and banks etc.
In relation to the theme parks - perfect location! There is a free bus that goes from directly outside the hotel entrance. It only comes and goes at certain times though (you can get a timetable from reception). But if you find that you are finished in the parks before/after the bus leaves, the local bus service goes past the hotel aswell. The hotel is closer to Universal Studios (about 10mins) than it is to disney (about 20mins), but its not too far whatever way you look at it!!
The location of the hotel is very close to lots of restaurants. There is a really nice steakhouse (Charleys) just about 10 minute walk up International Drive and if you want to wander a bit further, there is a fantastic Seafood restaurant. About 5 minute walk down the other end of Int Drive, there is a really nice Chinese restaurant (ming court) and I would higly recommend all of these restaurants. There is also a good bar across from the hotel and a supermarket just down the street too.
Our accomodation was good. Seperate bedroom and living area. There was a fridge, microwave, coffee facilities, sink in the living area along with work desk and tv. bathroom had bath/shower and the bedroom had a tv aswell.
Overall, I really cant fault any aspect of this hotel.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank emolloy
jasonrollin
Reviewed June 7, 2008

We make the quick trip to Orlando a lot and always stay at the Embassy. We love the location; there's a ton of places to eat in walking distance, attractions, a mall and a movie plaza. They have a great staff and breakfast each morning. There are 3 of us, so the extra space is great. They should paint the building through, but the atrium is very lush. Try Oeanair and Roys is you like Seafood. We love them!

Stayed June 2008
2 Thank jasonrollin
Northern Ireland
Reviewed June 3, 2008

A very nice hotel, but the only downfall was getting transport to Disney, NOTE: You will have to hire a car, lucky for us we got a nice convertible, it is such an easy place to drive around once you have the sat nav! Hotel very clean and safe, downfall was the breakfast but we got over that. Overall enjoyable!

• Liked — Privacy
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple