Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando - International Drive / Convention Center
Ranked #154 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Plantation, Florida
“Don't Stay Here”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I picked Embassy Suites after scouring the reviews to find a reasonable priced hotel for me and my fiancé to stay on I-Drive. We decided to spend the weekend in Orlando and go to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. We settled on Embassy Suites because it is centrally located and close to the park. I was a little hesitant because of some of the reviews complaining about the moldy odor and the long wait for elevators, but I figured I couldn't go wrong with a Hilton hotel. And after telling my fiancé what I read in the reviews, he was convinced that people were just nit picking! So I went ahead and reserved us a King suite.

Once we got to the hotel, we realized much of what I had read in the reviews was accurate. This hotel is definitely not on the level of other Hilton hotels I have stayed in. It's actually quite shabby looking inside. It just looks dated! The carpet and color of the décor is just so old-fashioned. Not at all what I expected. When we first checked in the staff was quite friendly, so I was optimistic. But once we tried to get up to the room, it was a mission and a half because the elevators took forever. There are four elevators around the courtyard but one was out of order. By the time we checked out on Sunday morning two of the four weren't working and the guests we were in the elevator with were complaining as well, so it wasn't just us being picky.

Despite the slow start to getting up to the room, I was still hopeful until we opened the room door. It had a stale, musty odor. My fiancé said it STUNK and he complained about it ALL weekend! I got used to it after a few minutes of being in the room, but as soon as you went back outside and stepped back in, you could smell it again. Based on the reviews I had read and how old the hotel looked, I assumed that it was just the old smell of the hotel. It definitely wasn't pleasant and took away from the fact that the room was actually comfortable and looked clean, but the smell was a complete turn off! It's hard to feel like you're in a clean environment when it smells so bad. I jokingly suggested to my fiancé that we go down the street to Walgreens and buy some Febreeze or some Glade plug-ins. He replied that he would not spend even a dollar on making the room smell better! So we had to just deal with it!

The staff was friendly and responsive. I had to call the front desk a couple times and they helped me right away. But we just couldn't get over the bad smell and how run down the place looked. Plus if your hotel is eight floors, your elevators really need to be working. This was something I noticed on previous reviews, so it's been going on for a while. Unfortunately, I could never recommend this hotel to anyone and we won't be going back next time we go to Orlando.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This Embassy Suites hotel is undergoing renovation, so maybe it will be a better facility when the work is completed. For now, there are better options even within the Hilton brand nearby. This hotel probably meets the interests of tourists better than someone on a business trip who is on an earlier schedule that some other guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

N.E. TN
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just spent a week here. This hotel was really not good for the price. I read all the reviews and new the common areas were renevated and not the rooms. The rooms are ok. AC didnt seem to have what it needed to keep it cool enough. Also, the two front windows besides the front door are terrible. The curtains dont pull far enough over so anyone walking down the hall can peek in. We had to wrap the drape around the door knob and use a chair to hold the other side against the door. There is quite a bit of road noise on the interstate side of the hotel. Rooms were clean, but we never really got things replenished daily. We had to call for toilet paper, coffee cups, coffee, washclothes, sheets for the pullout bed. For close to $200 a night, I shouldn't have to ask for anything. There is one elevator out of service (three in service). They are slow and at a busy time, you are going to have to wait.
Pool area was nice and clean. Breakfast area was decent, but get there 10-15 minutes before it ends because they pull everything out and shutdown right at 9:30.

Oh, and for the managers reception; they have Natural Light on draft. Seriously, natural light. Other Embassy Suites I've stayed at have Sam Adams. Thats a noticable difference. Next time I am in this area I will find somewhere else to stay. At least this place does not have bed bugs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were moved here by Virgin as we were caught up in the NV fiasco, loved the spacious bedroom we did make a special request for a room with 2 double beds rather than the kingsize and they happily accommodated this. The breakfast was good however very busy and often difficult to get a table and there were long queues. My Daughter loved the pancakes. We did go over Easter period though and there was also a big cheerleading com on so hotel was fully booked. The evening drinks reception was very good, though would have been nice to actually see management mingle an chat to customers. Staff were always friendly an accommodating an the indoor pool was particularly with Jacuzzi an sauna an only us using them. Fantastic location an the shuttle service was brilliant. Nice exclusive minibuses none of that having to trawl round umpteen hotels and getting packed onto overcrowded coaches. We drove to Disney though but assume they used the same mini buses for those.

Room Tip: If your travelling with children contact them an request a room with 2 doubles rather than the king...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
england
Reviewed June 28, 2013

just returned after two weeks holiday staying at embassy suites international drive what a fantastic hotel from all at room service to ryan on front desk and all the other staff making this the best place me and wife have ever stayed

Room Tip: we stayed facing international drive very quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The staff was fantastic, the accommodations were very good. It is tough to finds better value for the money, especially in such a great location in Orlando. We thoroughly enjoyed the wide variety of choices and the spacious breakfast area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed one week, Sat-Fri. First I'll give the good. Great staff! They go out of their way to help you! Good free breakfast, pretty nice room. Two good pools, one indoors, one outdoors. The bad, tiny little bathrooms with 24 inch doorways. Not enough elevators. Only 4 elevators (two banks of two) for eight floors of guests. And one of the four was broken the entire week and out of service. To add to the joy they were VERY slow and buttons were not sequenced. You were forced to push the button to both even though they were side by side. And last, no desk for business travelers to work at.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business