“Good for families, OK for business travel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando - International Drive / Convention Center
Ranked #168 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Southern California
“Good for families, OK for business travel”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed recently at the Orlando International Drive Embassy Suites when I got to town the night before I was to check in at my convention hotel. It was adequate, but nothing special.
First, the facility looks fairly old. It’s the atrium design that is so prominent in Embassy Suites. The rooms have large windows that face out onto the walkway, so you have to make sure the drapes are closed if you don’t want passers-by watching you watch TV. The room was clean and had the usual kitchenette. There was flat-screen TVs in the living room and bedroom. There was a charge for internet use, but since I was there for only one night, I went without.
The manager’s reception wasn’t as nice as others I’ve experienced at Embassy Suites. The service at the bar was fine, but the snacks were limited to pretzels, popcorn and pita bread and dip. It might be that it’s because there are so many families there who’d otherwise make a meal of the hors d'oeuvres .
The breakfast was also not as nice as others I’d experienced. To get any hot food, you had to wait in line. It was OK at the early hour I was there, but I suspect as the families come down for a pre-theme park meal, the line could get pretty long.
So, the Embassy Suites worked for the one night I was there, but for a longer business trip stay, I might look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank socalsteve19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Embassy Suites are the best hotels for big and small families. They have an amazing breakfast buffet with omelette station, fruits, cereal, pastries, eggs, bacon,sausage, and potatoes. We all know that going to a restaurant for breakfast is expensive!! Everyday from 5:30-7:30 pm they have a FREE managers happy hour. Beers, wine and some mixed drinks. Where else can you get that? Free shuttle bus to the theme parks. Free day pass on the iride bus. Rooms are all suites. Very spacious and clean. Overall, this is an excellent hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank gis5149
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 6, 2012

First night we arrived after 20 hours of traveling the guy at the front desk put myself + my family in a one bed room. After complaining he put is in a room on the left side of the hotel which is probably the nosiest room I have ever stayed in, (outside is some sort of generator which sounds like an airport terminal with a plane just landing). If you ever stay here ask to be located on the right side of the hotel.
I complained again as I could not sleep and was told I'd have to wait until the morning to see if another room would be available. The next day I was like a walking zombie and this time there was a stoney faced girl at reception who put us in a room on the right side of the hotel which was much quieter (no apology offered). We put this behind us and decided to get on with our holiday. We found the hotel to be average for the price payed , the room was clean although really badly needing a make over, bathroom is small and grubby , doors painted hap hazard but acceptable. The room gets very cold at night especially in the small hours (you will need additional blankets) and the air conditioning is just ok, either too cold or too warm. We explored the rest of the hotel and found the indoor pool and outdoor pools not very good. The outdoor pool looks dirty especially the tiles at the bottom. We also found broken glass on the floor. The outdoor restroom was really bad with a broken lock and looked to have been pebble dashed by someone and was left in this condition for several days.
The indoor pool was a little better but there are no changing facilities and after a swim in the really shallow fool (both pools are max 4.5 feet deep). There was no smell of chlorine in either pool and I didn't see anyone clean the pools while there so was prob swimming in everyone urine and spit for the duration of our stay.
Both myself and my wife got colds while there.
The managers reception is ok. You get a drink of your choice in a small glass (your expected to tip a dollar each time you get a drink). The food offered is left out in the breakfast area and consists of popcorn, small pretzels and broken tiny tortilla chips.
Breakfast was good but again when getting hot food which is not great to be honest the service staff look to be tipped and leave dollar bills left out on top of the counter,.
Tipping is almost a constant here and we found staff falling over themselves to get a tip to the point of you had to just ignore them , we ate in the fish grill one night and the girl was over taking out plates away before we had even finished eating. I asked her at one point was she in a hurry and she replied well if you want desert it finish's soon so `i told her we wouldn't be having desert and she stormed away.
The bell hops espcially an asian gentleman was obnoxious , you couldn't look at a brochure in the lobby before he was running over looking to HELP you.
During the week we arrived back from a full day out to find our room door open, obviously the cleaner had left it open by mistake and were appalled. Nothing seemed to have been missing and after informing the front desk he apologized and told me they are sending a maint. guy up to check the locks in case there was a fault. We waited for over an hour no one showed up. The next day the stoney faced receptionist apologized again and said did we need an engineer to look at the lock to which I replied no ,.but we were told one was being sent up and we waited. She just looked at us and said nothing,. So unprofessional.
One night I wanted to order a movie for the room and rang reception. Because I had not left credit card details with them they asked me to come down and pay for it straight away, I asked if I could pay in the morning but they said no it had to be tonight. I went down and was told to leave 50 dollars as this is the norm. I said the movie was under 20 dollars max but they wouldn't let me order it unless I left more than 20 dollars as they didn't know exactly how much with tax it would come too. I found this bizarre but left 30 dollars and was told I would get the balance back on checkout. again I found this bizarre, On checking out of the hotel the same stoney face unprofessional girl told us we were all set and did we have a good stay. I said yes expect for the first night which was met with deathly silence and an attitude. I had to ask for my change from the movie and was give 11 dollars back with no receipt so I don't know how much in the end the movie was really for.
Overall the hotel is average, The service staff are as a rule helpful espec,.the male breakfast staff who were friendly and professional. The only major complaint I have is with one or two of the hotel reception staff. I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: pick the right side of the hotel. Dont swim in the pool you WILL catch something. Don't make a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank HonestCustomer101
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed October 28, 2012

excellant location staff excellent free transportation to universal I ride outside the hotel free breakfast and 2 hours managers special every evening suites large with two tvs tiffany at receptition excellent golf arranged for children very good at shingle creek

Room Tip: pool view is good but a bit noisy with helicopters landing
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank peter m
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The bed was really comfortable and the room was clean but that's about the best I can say. Rooms on the back side are very noisy because of the Interstate hwy. Bathroom was in need of a big makeover. Tub coating peeling off and grout stained. Alarm clock did not work. Also asked front desk to help me with shuttle reservation and leave message in my room. The lady forgot to do it. I stayed at Embassy Suites in Denver (you can read my review here on TA) and I gave them a 5 stars rating. This Orlando property has a long way to go. Rumor from the staff is that the entire hotel will get a complete makeover in 2014. Be advised.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jeffs471
B_Friedrich, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando - International Drive / Convention Center, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at our hotel. We’re sorry that we did not provide the exceptional service you expect from our brand. There is no excuse to for lack of service or poor conditions. We do not currently have a plan in place for a full renovation but we are taking on multiple improvement projects in 2013 including the resurfacing of our pool, the modernization of our elevators, the installation of new fan coil units in several rooms that have air flow trouble and more. While these projects will have a very postive impact on the guest experience at our hotel, I am happy to say that these are projects that will not disturb on normal day to day business or the guest experience while the work is being done. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Bill Friedrich
Phoenix
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in May, 2012 for his daughter's law school graduation at the nearby convention center. The location was great and easy to find - navigation to downtown was simple. AND if you have a blended family that needs to gather between graduation events it is terrific to have the living area that the Embassy Suites provides with every room. Could use some sprucing up but considering the pre-purchase price, the size of the rooms and breakfast included I am not complaining!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gpete1
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at the Embassy Suites on International Drive (yes, there are a couple in the area...so make sure you know which one you are going to) from 8 to 11 October, 2012. I have to say right off the bat that the service is GREAT! I have traveled a fair bit, so the staff did a great job in the service department. The property itself is a typical Embassy Suite setup - large rooms with the usual inner courtyard for the hotel. Complimentary breakfest where you can have eggs to order or a pretty dang good omelete (beware the coffee! Its pretty bad, and I've been in the Army for 20 years). The biggest "con" I can say about the hotel is that its starting to show its age. There are only so many layers of paint you can throw up to cover things....its really all minor though unless you tend to be a meticulous person. Yes, it can be a bit "musty" but you're in Orlando and you will run into that alot down there.

Now....some info about the area. I went to Disneyworld during this stay and had planned to go to Universal Studios for a day (but that didnt happen, seperate story). The selling feature of the hotel is that they have a free shuttle to Disneyworld AND Universal. It runs about 2-3 times in the morning, and then picks up 2-3 times at night at specific times. At Disneyworld, the latest pickup is at 9:45 PM. This WILL affect you if you plan to watch the big fireworks display at Disneyworld due to the fact that the show does not end until 9:45 or so (plus you will have to fight the huge crowd to the monorail to get back to the parking lot...its just not going to happen). A taxi cab ride to/from the park will run from about $35-$40. If you plan to drive, its $14 to park there.

I knew I was forgetting something...dining options! The hotel is in a great location. There is litterally a Bahama Breeze, Cattlemans Steakhouse, Senor Frogs, (a Howl at the Moon bar too boot), Dave and Buster's, an OIive Garden, AND a Dennys.....across the street! Go not even a block either direction and you have Millers Bar and Grill (GREAT place to eat, extensive menu and a good bar selection as well), another Italian restraunt, a Thai restraunt, Subway, Dominoes....I forget the rest. Needless to say, lots of places to eat within walking distance.

Oh..last thing: there is CVS pharmacy not a block down the road where you can pickup about anything. Great place to get some drinks since you can put them in the refridgerator in your room. Hope this helped you out!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple