Every time my husband and I go to Orlando, we always plan a fairly cheap trip to this destination, because we usually spend more travel elsewhere.
I chose this hotel, because what caught my eyes were reviews that said "new beds, new sheets, new everything", three were some horrible reviews, but which places don't have bad reviews, so I thought I take a chance on this place because it was a newly built hotel.
1. hotel, rooms, beds, sheets, furniture were indeed new. one side of the hotel is renovated, but the other side of the hotel is empty and still have plastics on the bed frames, and mattresses etc. The complex looked like a hotel you would find in Cuba, the complex tiles, the staff (all speak spanish), even most of the hotel guests were spanish speakers.
2. beds were comfortable for me, but then everyone has different styles. To me, it wasn't too soft nor too hard, pillows could be a bit more fluffier, but it did the job.
3. Front desk staff were very helpful, not friendly, helpful. As in whenever you had a question, or a request, they would gladly help you, but if you look at them from coming back somewhere or stepping in the lobby, not even a single smile from them. Wish they could be just smile a bit more. I have to say that, if it wasn't for the staff, i would have given the hotel 2 stars.
After we checked in our room, we found the toilet did not flush very well, and the front desk happily assigned us to another room. They also allowed us to check out an hour later than the usual check out time of 11 a.m, but after that, we had to pay $30 more to stay until 3 p.m., as that counts another half of day.
4. The complex was very clean. Didn't use the pool, but the pool area was quite nice (not too big.
5. Breakfast offered toast, waffles, pancakes, sausages/bacon, scrambled eggs, cereal, muffins, fruits, milk, tea, juices, coffee...very simple, so don't expect anything extravagant, but it did the job, and filled our tummies lightly in the morning before we went off to the parks.
6. Shuttle bus came right on time every morning at 9 a.m. to pick guest up to the parks.
7. Wifi in the rooms. We uses wifi every night, and it was working perfectly fine. At times, it goes off and on, but overall, it was great!
8. air con worked great!
1. some toilets were not very strong.
2. Cleaning lady had no particular schedule, sometimes they clean your room in the morning, and one time they didn't' come until 4 p.m. which we were already back in the room taking a nap, and had to turn her away, so our room didn't get cleaned.
3. As mentioned earlier, the staff don't smile a lot, but they are very helpful.
4. shuttle bus drivers are not the nicest people. The worse part is the pick up time from the parks are at 8:30, when the park closes at 7 p.m. I asked the driver if they could come earlier, and that it doesn't make any sense to pick us up one hour and a half after the park closes, and he just said "not my rule, i was told these times, so i have to do whatever the office tells me..."...just didn't think it made any sense...especially...
5. we had to pay $5 extra per day at the hotel when you check in, they said it was for the service you get that helps pay for the breakfast and shuttle buses. $5 is not that much, but it is kind of deceiving when it is asked when you arrive at the hotel, and not advertising it when we were booking the hotel. It was a bit misleading...and dishonest from hotel management.
6. Absolutely nothing to do at the hotel. Pool bar closes super early, like 7 or 8 p.m, and no one is ever there, because hardly anyone was staying at this hotel.
7. The hotel use to be a run down motel, that's why it was renamed, tear down, and re-renovated to a new hotel. The looks of the place is like a motel, so the bad thing is the windows faced where your door is, and only one curtain is there, therefore, we could never open the curtains in the morning or any time of the day, because everyone can just see everything in the room, that's one thing we hated.
I think that sums about everything. All in all, it is an extremely basic hotel. If you are not looking for anything more than just a place to sleep at, and you're on a budget, i recommend this place. Like i said, it is very clean, and the staff are helpful, so you won't go wrong with it. But if you are looking for something more than that, then I would def not stay there.
As much as we were ok with the place, we probably would not stay there again as it was way too boring for our taste.
Hope this review is helpful, and hope whoever owns this place could think of more things to add, cause the location was very convenient, 1 minute walk to I-Drive, 10 minute ride to one of the premium outlet, and only 5 minute bus ride to Universal Studios.
Upgrade the look from the outside, add another light coloured curtain in the rooms might just help.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SUNSOL International Drive is your ticket to all the Orlando fun. Located near the popular International Drive corridor, this hotel places you within 5 minutes of Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Each morning we offer a delicious complimentary continental breakfast. The hotel also features free shuttles to Disney and Universal Studios, WI-FI in all rooms and common areas, a splash-park for kids, playground, heated pool and ticket-sale in reception 24 hours with bilingual service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Otel, Splitty, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your SUNSOL International Drive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Travelodge International Drive
- Travelodge Hotel Orlando
- Travelodge Orlando
- Orlando Travel Lodge
- Orlando Travelodge
- Travel Lodge Orlando