“Yeah, a little whacky, but great service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castle Hotel, Autograph Collection

Castle Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #103 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Saint Ignace, Michigan
“Yeah, a little whacky, but great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Interesting place...the building is a cross between Cinderella's castle, a Tyrolean palace and an airport Marriott. Let's just say the theme is eclectic. Facilities are fine if not superb - nice pool, adequate basic restaurant and bar, clean rooms, good location - 3.5 stars. The service has more than made up for the eclectic feel. Virtually every single person on staff has greeted us, asked if we need anything, opened doors, been happy, smiling and outgoing. 5 stars. I would come back just for that. And the Baroque spires.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JMarquette1671

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

This hotel has a great location, not far from the Orlando malls and parks.
The decoration is really on the baroque side, but it is somewhat unusual and has some charms. Our room was kind of typical for this hotel category, with LCD TV and safe. However the bathroom was really nice with marble on floor and walls.
Overall our room was clean.
The bedding was good.
We liked the well maintained tropical garden, all around a small pool and spa. Great to have a drink over there in the evening.
The restaurant is well decorated. We had a breakfast. Good but nothing exceptional.
So, what was the glitch?
We had a package for the night, breakfast included. When I checked out, my bill was OK. However some days later, I saw that my card had been charged an additional amount, for the breakfast. I called the hotel, and was told somebody from accounting would call me back. They never bothered to do it.
Even though, after over one week, I see the charge was reversed, it had been nice to hear from them. Obviously too much to ask. But it had been the price to pay to have a 100% satisfied customer.

Room Tip: We had room #611. Great view over the pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JP M
Suffolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I can only judge The Castle from the (excellent) breakfast I had there.... but having said this I could see that the property was very clean, tidy and well presented. It is decorated in a slightly made / eclectic style that I like, and overall has a pleasingly off-the-wall vibe.

My breakfast - two of us both had eggs Benedict, coffee and juice was expensive - $60 - but delicious and very well cooked. I will probably stay there next time I'm in Orlando, it is well situated for the conference centres and the various theme parks.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Seoul, Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed here the night we got married...it was a good experience. We only stayed one day but not because of the hotel. We loved our room, it was clean and the staff was friendly. We arrived fairly late (10 pm) but the staff didn't mind. They were very helpful in recommending restaurants that were still open at a late hour like 11 pm. We have talked about going back and staying for more than a day just to check out more features of the hotel. There are also amenities nearby like a Walgreen's and the hotel is not far from Universal. I only don't rate this hotel 5 'stars' just because it didn't feel quite like '5' stars but we enjoyed our experience and have no complaints! -I selected April as a our travel date but it was Nov. 2011.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room to get more of a castle feel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed recently with my family of four. I was impressed with the decor of the hotel, and my children were delighted with the castle theme. The rooms were pretty small. Service wise, I was not impressed and found that I would have received a better experience at ANY of the nearby Marriott properties that I have frequently stayed at over the years. As I checked in, there was a wait, and I overheard the Elite guest ahead of me was given a complimentary upgrade due to her status as she was handed the room key. When she requested late check out, she was told that she would check out at 2:00 PM. I hoped to receive the same courtesy of an upgrade, as I am a Gold member. I did not, and I was instead treated to a small room directly outside of the elevator that overlooked the parking lot. So much for status. Maybe there were no more upgrades, who knows.

The next day, I encountered a housekeeping staff member. I explained that I did not wish to have stayover service, as I would be putting my children down for a nap. I asked if I could have some additional towels and toiletries as they had been used the day before. The housekeeper told me no. I was surprised by this, as this has never happened to me before. On my way out for the evening, I stopped by the front desk to ask for late check out the next day. I was told the latest I could check-out was 12:30 PM, which seemed to be inconsistent with what I heard when I checked in. I did not feel like my business was appreciated during the stay. It gave me a poor impression of the Autograph collection, and I will choose a different property the next time I stay in Orlando.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevators because the rooms are not at all soundproofed.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
David_Me184, General Manager at Castle Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review and sharing your experience.

Meggy1017,
You indicated in your review that service was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Philly
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

The staff were amazing. From accommodating our early arrival, to the bellhop offering tips to local theme parks, and a speedy delivery to our room for extra supplies when we called. The location is ideal if you are going to the convention center and is located right off the hustle of I-Drive. So you can walk there easily but don't deal with the traffic. Also quite convenient to the Disney parks (15-25 minutes if I-4 cooperates), SeaWorld (10 minutes), and universal (looked to be right down the street). AND....if you get an east facing upper floor room you have an awesome view of the Epcot fireworks. The only thing keeping it from 5 stars imo are little twinges of goofiness...a persistent smell of burning wood through the ventilation system in the halls (like a woodfired pizza place or Korean BBQ is venting into the same system), absurdly cold hallways, truly bizarre light fixtures (best I can describe is neon cacti in a Bavarian themed hotel), and crazy loud techno music being pumped into the business center.

Room Tip: East facing room and upper floor to see the Epcot firework show.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

While it's part of the Marriott Autograph Collection, the Castle isn't as opulent as the Grand Bohemian but just as charming and perhaps a better value and more centrally located to the major tourist attractions. Check-in was friendly & fast, the room was artfully & decently appointed (could use a fridge), and had a fine view of the city from my room window. There was no parking fees, no resort fee, and the WiFi was complimentary - puts a big smile on one's face. From the Hotel, it's a very short walk to all the eateries and attractions on International Drive. Overall, a great stay and would certainly stay again if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo