“Good Value and Location”

Quality Suites Universal South
Ranked #278 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Florida
“Good Value and Location”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

For the price we paid, we were very happy with this hotel. We stayed for just one night and wanted a clean, inexpensive place to crash in a good location. We found it in this hotel. Our trip involved Sea World, Magic Kingdom, and a wedding in downtown Orlando. This hotel is located centrally to all of these places. It was off the beaten path so there was very little traffic. The routes to the theme parks are not the main routes that everyone else takes so it was a less stressful drive. Check in was quick and easy. We had called ahead and they had no problem letting us check in an hour early. The staff at the desk was very pleasant. Our room was clean, the beds were comfortable, and the noise was minimal although the hotel was almost completely full. The pool area was nicely decorated and had a relaxing feel to it. Due to rain earlier in the day, the pool was too cold for the two year old in our party to swim but just fine for older kids or adults. The two year old did enjoy the "playground" which was really just a slide.

We only found one major con with this place. The line for breakfast was ridiculous. It seems that the breakfast area isn't big enough for all of the people that the hotel can hold. We didn't bother to wait because the only area that still had any seating was outside and the weather wasn't great. It might help if they lengthened their breakfast hours as it is currently only available from 6:30am-9:30am.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again as long as the price was right. With all of the little touches, it seems that the owners/management are really trying to spruce this place up and make the guests feel like they're getting a good deal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Amanda M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
vallejo
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Do not go here. Carpets are filthy, cockroach bugs in bathroom, hair in bath tub, no ice machine, they took out washer and dryers. we would have left but were so tired and had a 4AM plane to catch. Staff was overworked and a lot of other customers were leaving to go for an extended stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: go any where else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank macdana517
uk
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Although I enjoyed our stay here, I have to say I was disapppointed with the sneaky way they bill their guests. They advertise "the lowest price in town," but then at $3.50 to each night as a "hotel services fee." Hotel services fee? Excuse me? It would still have been good value,and an attractive price, if they'd just added the $3.50 into the base cost of the room. I find this kind of thing insulting.

Otherwise, I was pleasantly surprised. It is an older property, so there are little things that need to be addressed: no plug for the bathtub, for instance and not enough electric plugs to be able to plug the coffeemaker and microwave in at the same time. I had to move to coffeemaker to the bathroom--which was a good size, by the way. The whole property certainly looks well-used, but is well maintained, for the most part. The computer in the lobby was out of order for the duration of our stay, but the wifi in our room worked well. The property is clean and pleasant, and has a lovely pool area, with a small tiki bar poolside. The breakfast was as expected, nothing special, and I didn't appreciate seeing a "tips" jar on the counter, since we served ourselves, the the staff didn't seem to be doing much--they certainly weren't keeping the food and juice restocked. You can take your food poolside, or to an outside deck area, which was nice.

We had a "suite," although I don't know who decided that one room, with a waist-high divider between the bed and the sofa, is a suite.

A pleasant stay, on the whole.

Room Tip: If your room faced the pool, you will get a/c noise, although it isn't very noticeable on the 3r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank usxpat
USA
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I ended up with this hotel by choosing the "secret hotel" option on travelocity. It ended up costing me $45.86 a night. I was traveling with a toddler and first thing i noticed is that there wasn't a cover on the electric outlet. I called front desk and some mexican guy came in with a cover and also electric wire and he patched it up for me. I asked if they have the missing pieces for the fridge door, so it can hold my water bottles, the guy said no, but returned a few min later with another fridge. I thought that was a very nice gesture. They offered a shuttle to several attractions, we used the shuttle, it was nice, they allowed us to take the larger stroller, which was very nice of them as well. They picked us up from the same spot and took us back to the hotel. Breakfast had a good variety of scrambled egg stuff, hard boiled eggs, sausage patties, muffins, bread products, yogurt, bananas, waffle station/make your own waffles, coffee, milk, juice, cereal, etc. They had a coin operated washer and dryer, I liked that convenience. For the price I paid, I didn't mind dealing with a few minor flaws. Overall, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jetta c
MO
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We thought by the pictures it looked pretty nice. We thought it would be a great deal because it offered free breakfast and shuttle service to the parks. Well the breakfast was pretty much a joke. The lines were long, was not kept up as far as being restocked with food. Not enough places to sit and eat. But, we felt as long as it got us by till we got to the parks we were good. The shuttle service to the parks leave at 8:30. Some parks open before that time. The shuttle to take you back to the hotel leaves way to early, like 7:00. We decided to take a taxi back each night and worked out perfect. The parks already have taxis waiting and there is no haggling with price. We paid anywhere from 9.00-15.00 that included tip each evening from the parks to our hotel. Our room was a bit scary, but tolerable. Our sofa had a burn hole on it. The door to the room was so flimsy and you could see daylight through the crack. We kept all of our luggage up, never on the floor. I do not think our carpet ever seen a vaccuum and the bathroom floor never seen a broom or mop. There was a wrapper of some kind between the bed and the wall, it was never ever picked up. The only way to have hot water was to take a bath. Never ever could we get warm or hot water out of our shower. We told the front desk about it, was it was never attended to. Next time I will choose a hotel on International Dr.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 3rd floor Pool View and it was fine.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank travelgirlMo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed April 7, 2013

In these times of economic crisis, it is reassuring to see that “inexpensive” does not always mean “cheap”. Although I paid about half the price per night at the Quality Suites Universal South than what I would normally spend, I was presently surprised at the value. The room was clean and comfortable, the pool was fun and spacious, and the breakfast was hot and appetizing. They even offer shuttles to the theme parks. So if you don’t want to pay extra for all the bells and whistles, then I recommend the Quality Suites Universal South.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This place is a dump! When we walked into the room we could immediately smell mold. There was black mold on the vent in the bathroom. There is a huge patch in the tub that looks like it's going to cave in. The bathroom mirror is scraping off and has wierd marks all over it. The room was not clean at all....hair all over the bathroom floor..just gross. When I read the previous reviews, I figured it couldn't be that bad, but it is. The fridge isn't even cold! The women at the front desk were rude and everything but helpful. Unfortunately, we didn't choose this hotel as we are with my son's school on a field trip. I definitely will not stay here again if I can help it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends