“I think signs would help....”

Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill Lodge
Ranked #196 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed February 16, 2014

First, this is a lodge not a hotel which is tucked away in what appears to be another Florida planned golf community. Once you find the property you will not see any signs noting where to check in for the lodge, you have to guess. This is more about golf apparently. My wife and I drove around the parking lot and found this 5 minute spot which was close to something that could be the front desk / checking however not clearly marked. So we decided to walk down the path that said to lodge only to find this was the lodge itself not check-In for the lodge. Ok not off to a good start. We decided to walk through the corridors of this one lodge, in essence doubling back on where we had just come from. We reached some stairs and a exit sign and could see through the window a woman behind the desk. Ok this must be it and sure enough it was. So long story short, signs would be helpful and if you stay here you find the 5 minute parking spot check-in is behind you. More to come as this stay progresses.

Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank jharold5
royschindele, Director of Sales at Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Completely understand your suggestion about more signage... and indeed this could perhaps help some..

Our mandate as to signage comes from the owner Mr. Palmer, who lives and works here since 1070... He does allow for basics in this area like at the main entrance, etc... but feels we are a small enough property with only one parking lot and a small footprint, that once you park (anywhere) and ask a person for your desired destination, you will be escorted there and be where you want to go in just a minute or two.

Mr. Palmer believes signage should be unobtrusive and sparse. This is not only true roadside, but also on the golf course. He advocates "old school" high touch service and signs are somewhat impersonal.

Your comments & point of view are very much appreciated...

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Although we only stayed for one night with friends, we enjoyed the room which was quiet and comfortable, staff was very pleasant and helpful, golf facility and course was wonderful and we were pleasantly surprised on the food and bar menu. Although the room does not have coffee, they make up for it with an endless supply of coffee in the lobby area of our floor.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Looks one of the best golf courses in the World. And it is.
Beautiful environment, polite staff, nice room (upgraded automatically based on my Expedia VIP card).
The only negative issue is the clubstore, the items were very old fashioned...

Room Tip: Course view is suggested.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ArthurSmith66
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Staied with the family from 18th Dec till 23th Dec . I like golf but the purpose was the parks .the location is very good for the Universal were we went . The rooms were ok , we had a suite but it was more of a normal room to me honestly . The reception service was very cold and everything seemed to be around golf .I appreciate this is a top golf location but I would have liked a little more concierge / pampering also for other needs . I was lured by the cooments on tripadvisor on the kind of classy style of the place but it did not really enchant me .It looked to me more of a place for older people , with all respect ..

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank piero_ricci
Reviewed December 26, 2013

During our trip to Miami Beach, wife and daughter also wanted to do Disney. While searching for suites, I found this place. I was looking for a quiet place, and this place did not disappoint me. Although, the place seem little older, it is very classy and well maintained. The staff is a delight to talk to. They have many restaurants, where the food was very good. We had our breakfast next to the bay window where pros were practicing puts. I kept the last day for golf, but could not do it because I came down with cold. One of the staff was kind enough to offer me some cold medication. Literally felt like what is the purpose of this life, if you go and stay in a golf club but could not play. But then, I thought, there is always a next time.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Having grown up near Arnold Palmer's home and having played his courses in Pennsylvania, I was biased going into our stay. However, I wasn't disappointed. The course was in great shape, the rooms were nice (balcony and bathroom too), and the pool/locker room/gym were perfect to my liking. The other reviews about no refrigerator or in room coffee maker are truly the only thing you could say bad about this quaint lodge (you're on vacation - Dunkin Donuts is only a 3 minute drive). I will definitely be back and if you're in the area you should make it a point to get away from all the other hotels/resorts and stay at this relaxing resort.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Noticed there was an option for a Bucket list package on the bayhiil.com website. I called to inquire about it no one was in to speak with me so I left a message and one week later still have NOT received a return call. There was a reservation link located on the bucket list page so I selected that and noticed that the date I wished to play was available. When I tried to book the bucket list package on that available day it was the for SOME reason not available. I then called and spoke to management and they said "sorry it is not available and there is NOTHING I can do to help you during that time of year" I would think that a prestigious course like this would be willing to help out a potential guest, but apparently that was NOT the case. Very disappointed with me first contact at this resort.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank bailey H

We are sorry you were unable to reach a reservation manager immediatley, please note we have recently taken steps to insure that phones are answered within 4 rings 888-422-9445 by a person 24 hours a day 7 days a week to avoid any miscommunication or delay in communication.

As for the Bucket List Package, with all due respect, it seems like there has been a little misunderstanding concerning the terms, conditions and valid dates of the Bucket List Package. We make it as clear as possible on the web and when our reservations department speaks with someone, that this package is only available during a certain time of the year.

It is not offered leading up to or shortly after our world renowned PGA Tournament the Arnold Palmer Invitational. Although rooms and golf may be available in general, the bucket list is not.

The Bucket List Package is available from May - December...

I'm sorry that you may have liked to take advantage of this offer in another time of the year, but that is not possible and the package terms and conditions articulate that fact.

Thanks you for your comments and hope that you'll take advantage of the bucket list where a couple can come for for $175+tax each for an overnight, full breakfast buffet and a round of golf. Or if one of the couple does not play golf they may substitute the round of golf for a Swedish massage a GREAT VALUE!!

Once again thanks for your comments.
Roy