“Perfect Location, Great Stay...”

Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort
Ranked #179 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
United Kingdom
“Perfect Location, Great Stay...”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

After much research I finally decided on this hotel for our recent holiday to Orlando, am glad i did, a great hotel, perfectly located to explore all the magic Walt Disney World has to offer. Although classed as a 'Disney deluxe' hotel it is not actually owned by Disney and i found its prices cheaper than the other 'deluxe' hotels - coincidence maybe.

Check in was quick and hassle free, room spacious, clean and comfortable. We were lucky enough to have a room with a balcony which looked straight into Epcot, was great sitting out in the morning with a coffee watching the sun come up behind the Eiffel Tower, an amazing view. It goes without saying the view of an evening was nothing short of spectacular as the nightly fireworks show exploded into life a short distance away in Epcot.

The hotel has something like 14 restaurants (including the Swan), varying from quick service to fine dining, a great range, however as we were not on the Disney Dining Plan we found them quite expensive. Our party consisted of 5 people and if we all chose the 'all you can eat' breakfast buffet the bill would be in excess of $100!. Tried room service two nights as we where back from the parks late and this was resonably priced and very tasty. I think what you get in terms of the hotel's location to the Walt Disney World resorts you find yourself paying a little for this premium location with the food prices.

The hotel had a good range of services and activities, several swimming pools (including one with a waterfall going into it) and a good sized man made beach. So if you fancied a day away from the parks or came back early from them there was plenty to do, especially if you had children.

The biggest 'plus point' for me about this hotel was its location though. We did not hire a car for our two week Orlando trip and I can honestly say I found the holiday more relaxing as a result. Epcot was five min away by water taxi, Hollywood studios ten minutes away by water taxi. Disney Boardwalk was a five minute walk (or short water taxi ride). The other parks where reached by Disney busses which ran every fifteen minutes, Magic Kingdom was about twenty minutes away. The transportation was efficient, reliable, on time and just added to the whole two weeks being memorable for all the right reasons. Universal Studio's and Sea World were reached by taxi which cost about $30 each way.

I was really pleased I chose the Dolphin hotel, I would definitely stay here again but next time make sure I had the Disney Dining plan.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SwanDolphinReviewM, WDW Swan and Dolphin at Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for writing JG007 and sharing your awesome experience. It sounds like you took advantage of all of our great amenities. We are so happy to hear you had a room with a view of the fireworks. That makes the evening so much nicer. We do apologize that you felt the dining options were too pricey. We try our best to have something for everyone. We do hope to see you again in the near future. Have a wonderful and magical day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Carpentersville, Illinois
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The Dolphin and Swan have always been one of those places we thought about staying, with it's location in relation to Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios. They had a great rate for the Dolphin at the end of September, which was in line with what we were willing to pay for one of Disney's Moderate hotels so we booked it.

The hotel is impressive as you come into the lobby. A circular space with a high ceiling and a fountain center. Every single staff person I encountered was friendly and more than helpful, from the valet (more on this in the next paragraph), to the front desk, to the fitness center, to everyone at Picaboo - which was our nightly, back from the parks, midnight snack stop, as well as where we grabbed breakfast most mornings. My wife and our friends ate in the hotel before I arrived and said their food and service at The Fountain was also quite good.

I would take away a half a point above if I could, just for the parking and resort fees. I know resort fees are just a nature of the beast now - but here's my problem: it says for that fee you get internet access and 2 bottles of water. Part of me wanted to ask if I can just use my own hotspot and bring my own water, but we were there for a good time for my wife's birthday and again, everyone is tacking them on everywhere anyway. Moving on, self parking was $15 a night, so for the $7 bucks a night more I opted to valet. I get having to have gates and controlling your parking lots around Disney World, but charging your own guests for parking still feels very unnecessary. The Valets were always friendly and by following the instructions of calling down 20 minutes before I'd like to leave, the car was always waiting and good to go when I got there.

So, where lies the problem that I gave the title I gave? The rooms. Small, with double beds. If you ever stayed at a Disney Value resort, it's comparable to that. The bathroom barely had enough space to open the door without hitting the toilet and tub. The sink is conveniently located outside the bathroom, but also tucked tightly into the area allotted for it. For a place that charges $350 or more in peak season (plus that $17 a night resort fee), I was expecting queen beds at the very least and a bit more space overall.

In conclusion, sure, I'd stay here again. You can't beat the convenience of staying near Disney's Boardwalk area. But if I do, it'll be for off-season, and only because the people made the difference here. We're it not for such friendly attitude, and people who give the impression of caring about each person they come in contact with, this would be a different review.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WDWSDExecutiveOffice, Manager at Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hi Adam, we are so glad you decided to stay at our resort. We are happy to hear you enjoyed many of our resort amenities and offerings including the 24-hour convenience of Picabu. Our Cast Members are here to make your stay memorable; it is good to hear you enjoyed our service.
Thank you for feedback regarding the Resort Service Package charge and parking options. We do monitor current practices in the marketplace when making future business decisions. To clarify, the Walt Disney World Dolphin offers rooms with two double size beds or one king bed, whereas the Walt Disney World Swan offers rooms with two queen beds or one king bed. We would love to welcome you back to our resort soon!
Springfield, Missouri, USA
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the Dolphin with our family for a trip to Disney. The place was overrun by a convention and the place spewed a sentiment which seemed not terribly family friendly. This had nothing to do with the staff, no major complaints there. But, I have no idea what in the world our family was doing at that hotel. The entire time we were there, I can think of seeing two families in the hotel. The rest were all convention goers. They were pretty unfriendly for a slightly slower moving family with a few small kids. It was also difficult moving through the large crowds of them in the evening hours. On the day of our departure, I was in the lobby at 4am. I didn't see anyone at the desk or bell desk, I literally couldn't find anyone there in the ten minutes I looked for someone. I looked outside as well - nothing. I found that a but troubling, what if people with bad intentions were entering - the people at the front were nowhere to be found.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DoubleSecretProbatio
Dear DoubleSecretPro,
We sincerely apologize for the experience that you had during your recent stay. Would you please send in your contact information, room number and this review to ReviewManager@SwanDolphin.com. We would love to have you stay with us again.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Went down to Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival. The location was great...could walk or take the water tranportation. Hotel was clean and orderly, front desk staff was friendly as usual, I did ask for a roll a way bed and was not delivered, had to call later in the evening for it to be delivered. Easy check in and check out. Was charged for parking when I didn't have a car but after speaking to someone in the accounting office it was corrected quickly. I have stayed there many times and it has always been nice. The common area's really need to be updated, nothing has changed in years. The room was very nice and the bathroom looked like it was updated. I just don't remember the bathroom area being that small, could hardly close the door. The room was not cleaned by 3 pm and when I questioned the front desk they told me that they have till 5 to clean it and to ask for it to be done early, which I did, and it was done. Will stay again, I love the Dolphin and its location to Disney.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank melanie6174
We are so thrilled Melanie6174 that you had a great experience. We do apologize that you encountered some inconveniences but happy to hear that they were corrected on the spot. We appreciate you as our guest and would love to have you come back again soon.
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We have visited Disney many times but have only previously stayed at The Grand Floridian, which we found to busy and a little disappointing. We got a very good rate for the Dolphin. Our view from the room wasn't great but it was very comfortable with coffee making facilities.
We loved the proximity to Epcot and sat on the boardwalk beach later one evening watching the fireworks.
We also had a late evening swim in the lovely pool.
Breakfast was a scrum, though. Far too busy and slow service in our case, but we we received a discount for the delay.
Would absolutely stay again if the rate was right.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JudithCharming
Hello JudithCharming and thank you for writing. We are delighted that you had a "Magical" stay. That is so wonderful to hear. We appreciate you taking the time to write. Your comments have been forwarded to our management team. We would love to have you stay with us again soon. Please hurry back!
Florida
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We have seasonal Florida resident passes and go to Disney a lot. We enjoy Epcot and Hollywood Studios best among the 4 parks and so look for lodging in the Epcot area. I can almost always manage to find the best room rates at Swan or Dolphin and we enjoy the more "adult" feel of these resorts (still with plenty of fun to attract children.) We find the rooms uniformly comfortable and have always had good service with no complaints. I don't think you can ask more from a hotel, especially when the price is something less than half what you'd pay at the hotel right next door that doesn't have any more amenities.

Room Tip: Rooms are pretty uniform within price range except for position within the hotel. You might ask if...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank FloridaTravelmum
Thank you for sharing your great experience Florida Travelmum! We are delighted that you had a great time. Can't wait to see you again! Have a magical day!
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The hotel has two parts, Swan in one side and Dolfin in the other, we stayed in Swan, the rooms are good, we have a swimming pool view, there are a couple of swimming pool in there, service is good and price is acceptable to be inside Disney area, you could take either ship or shuttle to disney parks, the only defect is lack of restaurants inside, no choice at all, but still we had a good time and recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank thomas61416
Dear ThomasWong416,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed our pool area and had a view. Between both hotels, we do have 17 restaurants. We are so sorry that you still could not find one that suited your needs. Your comments have been forwarded to our management team. We do hope to see you again in the near future. Please come again!