“Good and not so good”

Ranked #159 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Long Beach, California
“Good and not so good”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have to agree with other reviews I have read about this hotel. This is one of the older Courtyards that has been remodeled recently to reflect the current Courtyard color scheme and furnishings. Since I am a Platinum-level Marriott Rewards member, I received an upgrade to a suite with a separate bedroom and sitting area. The bedroom had 2 double beds, not queen size, which were a bit too small for 2 adults, so we slept in separate beds.

The layout of the hotel is a bit strange.-- one end of the hotel, with its own pool area, seemed like it had been a separate hotel at one time. The main pool area is nice, with a good jacuzzi.

One of the better features of our stay was the buffet breakfast. It was the largest restaurant buffet I have experienced at a Courtyard, and had a full variety of hot and cold items (including a popular waffle maker). The hotel was offering a Marriott Rewards rate that included the breakfast, which was very convenient before leaving for Disney.

Room Tip: I liked having a room facing the pool courtyard area. There didn't seem to be much activity and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeff D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Arabic first
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We used Marriott points to stay here on our getaway night and it was a disappointing end to our trip. While the suite provided a good amount of space for our family, the room was less than stellar. Although some of the cosmetic updates made the room seem newer than it actually was, it was clear that several improvements and fixes are still needed at this hotel. The shower tub drained VERY slowly and the A/C and fan unit next to the beds was extremely loud the entire night. For some reason, the thermostat couldn't regulate itself properly which meant that the fan stayed off for about 1 min before starting back up again. The cycle repeated itself all night, and it was nearly impossible to get a good night's sleep. It's one of the only times I was looking forward to a 7 hour drive home the next day.

It should also be noted that many of the rooms (including ours) had open-air entries with a "motel-like" feel. I'm used to staying at Courtyards where most of the rooms are accessed via an internal hallway.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mark F
Pompano Beach, Florida, USA
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I booked this through bookings and got a good rate. The hotels is ok I have stayed in better and worse. I would stay again if I needed to.
It was recently remodeled or the little things have been updated. The fridge is cold the safe is old with a key. I don't trust the key safe I'm sure there is a master key floating around the hotel. The walls are paper thin. People are not very considerate about the time and tend to scream or talk loud at 7:30am. That is a bit early. It's hard when you are a light sleeper.
The staff is very very friendly. It's a great place to go to if you are with your family and going to the parks or downtown Disney.

I was not happy with the bus shuttle service. They said it picks you up at 10:15 and everyone else on the bus said they were told the same time. When we got on the bus which was half full we went to 5 more stops and we were on the bus for a good hour :(. I was not aware of this and would have drove to Magic Kingdom. We ended up taking a bus back from the Polynesian to downtown Disney ate dinner and then took a $20 cab ride to the hotel. So the money I though I was saving to take the shuttle I spent on a cab.

The only other negative was there was a hair (not ours) in the shower the first day we checked in and when we got back to a clean room the second day. I didn't care for cleaning someone's hair from the shower. Yuck sorry it's gross to me. That should not be an oversight.

I will say the beds are comfy they are full size, clean sheets comfy pillows and no bedspread which is great. The free Internet is great.
These are all positive things.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Nicole K
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We made reservations from the Orlando AAA office nearby and arrived at the Hotel about noon knowing that we may not be able to check in until after 3:00. We were warmly welcomed and given a room.

Our King room was very clean, nicely decorated with all the amenities needed for casual and business travelers, and comfortable.

A 4:45, we ventured back downstairs to the Lounge where the attendant said a complementary wine and cheese reception was between 5:00 and 6:00. She served us Columbia Crest Reserve and brands of bottled beers were also available if desired. 3 cheeses, crackers, coffee, tea and cold orange flavored water were also available.

Music was provided from 5-6:30. He sang and played relaxing favorites on his guitar and flutes. Quite enjoyable.

We ate breakfast twice in the dining room. The buffet was attractive, well stocked, and was kept clean. Service was good. Refilling the coffee was slow, but we filled the gap with juice and a second trip to the buffet. Cost was under $10 pp.

There are several restaurants in the plaza across the street and a couple don't open until after 4:00 or 5:00. Hooters, Japanese, organic/kosher, pizza. A short walk down the street towards the traffic light and there's several restaurants there as well. We tried Sizzlers steak buffet.....not so good.

The Lounge and adjoining Lobby areas are being renovated the day we checked out. This doesn't effect the quality of hospitality and service this Hotel provides. We have referred a friend who will visit the area soon and we plan to return again.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the front because of construction. Also has transportation to and from all Dis...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens, Georgia, United States
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Kathleen made us feel welcome right from the get go! The rooms are a bit dated but the personality of both the hotel and the personnel are classic. This is a great choice for families looking for Disney World lodging.

• Stayed December 2012
Orange County, CA
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel beginning of December this year and last year for a business convention. The staff at this hotel went above and beyond receiving and storing my frozen food packages (as well as many other company representatives). They understand the needs of busness travels. I will definitely stay there again. Only downside was the breakfast buffet $10 was not worth the value. I only ate there once out of the 4 night stays. The omelette was over-cooked and burnt on one side. Fortunately, there were many good breakfast places around the immediately area.

Room Tip: Perkins has excellent breakfast. They use fresh ingredients (for example, not frozen spinach) in om...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
LauraRadler, Manager at Courtyard Orlando Lake Buena Vista at Vista Centre, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding your stay! I am so pleased to hear that your stay was enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. I will be sure to recognize the staff for providing you with top notch service.

Jenny Montanez
Assistant General Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed at this courtyard for a week recently based upon the strength of reviews here. We weren't disappointed, but there was nothing to really impress us either.

The front desk service was obligatory-polite. The breakfast didn't open until 630 each morning, crowding out anyone who had to travel early. The design of the hotel is atrocious. Getting to the lobby from one of 200 rooms involves a good 5 minutes of walking and we're young and in shape. Try it yourself.

Room was fairly clean, but there was no central AC and the wall/window mounted units were pretty loud on low. No NFL network to watch Thursday games on TV either. Bed was stiff and linens seemed on the low end. Bathroom had no fan. Can't remember being in a hotel bathroom that didnt have a fan.

We didn't get a chance to use the pool area but it looked nice. There's a hot tub as well. They have a shuttle service to the Disney resorts that was good enough. Some of the times got you there too early or too late, but all of the buses showed up and there were no problems. The drivers seemed friendly. You'll stop at a few other hotels as well, but none of the travel times seemed to be over 20 minutes.

The food in breakfast was at least average for a buffet. The waffle mix was pretty good, better than other Marriotts I've been to. Service was mixed - some people were great and others weren't. The room service was terrible and I'd not recommend. We ordered a Margarita pizza, which we expected to have multiple slices of tomato, mozzarella, and fresh basil. It came as a plain cheese pizza with two slices of tomatoes and little specks of dried basil. Not worth the price. They sell sandwiches for $7 that look like a finger food. No value here.

The market was a better option. They had some honest pricing if you wanted to eat really light. Try a bowl of Ramen and a Dasani for $2.50. A stouffer's lasagna is $7, though.

The ATM the owner choose to locate in their lobby charges $3.50 - thanks Marriott! Don't blame the ATM owner, blame Marriott for endorsing that kind of charge. Aren't we getting hit enough in the theme parks? =)

No major incidents, but wouldnt return the next time we return to Orlando. Better options out there, and no one there seemed to go out of their way for us. If you want a splash of luxury, you wont find it here. If you want something cheap with transportation to the theme parks and average everything else, this will work great for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EScissorhands0
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Courtyard by Marriott Lake Buena Vista. I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy the hotel based on your review. I can assure you, the hotel is constantly updating the facilities to ensure complete guest satisfaction. I will be sure to share your comments with our team so we may address the issues you cited. Thank you again for your comments. They are truly appreciated.

Jenny Montanez