The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort
Shelby, Michigan
“Not for us!”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

There were surprisingly few options for a family with three teenage kids among the many on-site resorts at Walt Disney World. We decided on one of the cabins at Fort Wilderness Resort. It was a moderate resort that came priced at the usual Disney fare. The cabins were actually single-wide trailers disguised as cute little family cabins. The effect was actually charming and the overall feel of the place was what I had hoped for A drawback I hadn't anticipated was the fact that the resort was HUGE! You had to take a bus within the resort to get anywhere, and that's a seperate bus from the one that gets you to the individual parks and attractions. We spent way too much time waiting/riding busses with unpredictable schedules. To go anywhere took at least an hour during the slow season, I can only imagine how bad it could get during the busy season.

The cabins were adequate, but just that. Housekeeping was not what I had experienced with Disney in the past, but I did notice other guests assigned other staff had a much better experience. The beds were reasonable, but the linens and blankets were inadequate. The television was 90's vintage with questionable reception.

Our biggest issue was what guest services were available at this moderate resort, especially when compared to all the other sites. If you are on the disney dining plan, hold on! There are no counter service options available there. There is a nice table service place, but that isn't realistic for all meals you consume at your resort. There is no food delivery available to Fort Wilderness and everything closes by 9:00pm. That means you better have other meal plans than your resort if you are out in the parks all day like we were. If we had planned it differently I would have engineered a few less days in the parks and more time just enjoying the resort. I would have brought my own food and just grilled or cooked at the resort. (Kinda defeats the vacation from my standpoint however.)

If you are a die-hard camper and enjoy a true camp experience, this may be your resort. Personally I missed the amenities of the economy resorts where food was readily available, pools were just downstairs, and the busstop was in easy walking distance.

7 Thank franny0007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Way Up North, WI
Reviewed February 14, 2011

We just returned from a week long stay at Fort Wilderness Cabins and I have been highly reccomending it since! We (like many) pre ordered our groceries from Garden Grocer and when we arrived, late in the evening, everything was in our cabin and put away! It was great, plus the folks at Fort Wilderness were great about letting them into our cabin and helping out, this was a service they were familiar with! A fun bonus was we had an Armadillo living under our cabin and neighbors cabin! Hilarious and fun to watch....kids loved it! There is a little footstand/coffee table in the living room. We stuck this in the hallway as a bench and all our shoes under it! Then when the murphy bed came down we didn't have to move it ever time.

PROS: Roomy!! We had three kids and it was rainy one of the days and the extra space was great for them to play! Plus the deck allowed for storage for our stroller and our swimsuits and towels to dry out! In the mornings our kiddos would go out on the deck and play while we got ready! It was great..they were safe and close and NEVER disturbed anyone! The cabins are private and there is no noise up above and no worries about making noise for those below, like a hotel room!

The maid service does dishes EVERY day and was great when one of my kids wet the bed one night! We took full advantage of the bus system and it was perfect for our family! All our time could be focused on the kids and not searching for our next turn!

The onsite ammenities were great! I used the laundry facilities, the pool, and the store. All met my expectations.

CONS: The cabin has enough dishes for 6 servings. As a family of 5 I found myself washing dishes a couple times a day because we ate almost every meal there! Recomendation would be to order/buy paper plates and cups and silverware! You won't regret it! Plus something to store leftovers or cover them with, ziplocs, plastic wrap etc.

I thought the Murphy Bed was uncomfortable. This was my opinion only! My hubby slept great! My kids also slept well in the bedroom, never a complaint!

Lastly, and very minor, there is a "cabiny" odor to the room. It smelled musty in our cabin, and it was a bit of a turn-off. Again, nothing that would prevent me from staying, but wanted to mention all things!

Overall, Fort Wilderness is an excellent place to stay! Plus when you are gone at the parks all day you don't want your last dollar to be wasted on an overly expensive hotel room that you barely spend time in!

10 Thank RowdyRascalMomma
Abruzzo, Italia
Reviewed February 10, 2011

We just returned from five nights at a Wilderness Cabin and decided to post some info about our experience that might help you decide if you want to stay there too.

We are a family of four with kids aged 12 and 15. At that age, kids need some space and don't like sharing beds, so we were looking for a villa or suite that had three separate beds and maybe a bedroom separate from the main room. We also liked the idea of a kitchen, because although we didn't plan to cook all our meals, we wanted the option in case we got tired of eating Disney food morning, noon and night. We also did not want to use a car while staying at Disney World if possible.

Given these requirements, are some options (prices low season when we stayed)

$480/night Boardwalk Villa 1BR (nice but still just two large beds)
$515/night Saratoga Springs or Old Key West 1BR (same problem... just 2 beds)
$570/night Saratoga Springs or Old Key West 2BR (very roomy and nice)
$318/night Coronado Springs two adjoining standard rooms. This is the cheapest I could find. Two rooms are convenient, but no kitchen.
$275/night Wilderness Cabin. 4 beds, kitchen, etc.

So for us it made sense to with a cabin. Now about those cabins:

PROS: Roomy, clean and comfortable. Kitchen is complete, and they do the dishes for you. You get a private deck with picnic table and a BBQ in case you feel like grilling some steaks. Quiet and peaceful surroundings were always nice to return to. Two TVs and a total of 4 beds make the sleeping arrangements good.

CONS: Beds and pillows are hard (Murphy bed is best actually). We asked for feather pillows which were better. Heater stopped working on our last day which was very chilly... most of the year this would not be an issue. To enjoy other perks (game rooms, pools, etc) you have to venture outside.

Some other thoughts... Fort Wilderness's location is best suited for visiting Magic Kingdom. If you plan to spend the most time at Epcot/Hollywood, you want to keep that in mind. The buses between Fort Wilderness and the other resorts worked well for us, but it was low season and we never had to “wait for the next bus. The cabins are a long walk from the marina where you catch the boat to Magic Kingdom. The shuttle buses are ok, but consider a golf cart or bikes.

The trading post is very expensive, so unless you plan to drive off property to shop, it's best to get groceries delivered. We used Garden Grocer and we were very pleased. We ordered online, and when we arrived at our cabin, the food was put away and was exactly what we ordered. It's basically the same as typical supermarket prices plus about $25 deliver/tip. Just google “garden grocer disney world”.

One last thing... a lot of people have recommended Kenny at Tee Time Golf Carts as an option to the expensive Disney carts and so we went that route. We paid $40/day vs $62/day. Personally, I'm not sure it's worth the savings. Kenny's a nice guy, but he got confused about our dates, called us no less that 8 times, talked too much and repeated himself. The method for retrieving and dropping off the cart is awkward and time consuming (Disney makes it that way of course) and Kenny's cart requires a separate (and heavy) charging unit whereas the Disney carts plug straight in to the AC outlet.

BOTTOM LINE: Fort Wilderness Cabins are a great choice!

9 Thank headin_on_out
Hattiesburg
Reviewed January 25, 2011

I went with my whole family (18 in all). We rented 3 cabins. We had an amazing time and I would HIGHLY recommend this resort to any family that loves a little peace and quiet. I can't believe all of the negative reviews about having to wait a while on the buses. For goodness sake...your in Disney World...your going to have to wait on a lot of things. That's just part of it. You just have to be patient. I have stayed at the cabins 4 out of my 5 trips and will continue to go. There is plenty of outdoor room to play football or baseball with the family. The cabins are seperate from the camp sites. It's very relaxing and peaceful which never happens at Disney World. Again, I highly recommend everything about this resort.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis
Reviewed January 24, 2011

We recently stayed 4 nights at a Cabin in Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground. While many reviews of the cabins on TripAdvisor were favorable, the negative reviews had me nervous. All I can say is that if you have a 5 star pallate, don't stay at a 3 star resort. The Cabins was perfect for our family, and I have no complaints about the accomidations. The cabin was clean, quiet, and spacious for 4. Having the separate room was key as my wife and I could carry on normal conversation after the kids went to bed. ABSOLUTELY THE BEST VALUE DISNEY HAS TO OFFER.

And now a few tips:
1) Rent a golf cart. The campground is a little over a mile as the crow flies. Our cabin was near the main entrance, about as far as you can get from the restaurant. We also heeded the advice of many and contacted Kenny at Tee Time Golf. Simply put, Kenny puts the "service" back in customer service. He has an outstanding business, and bends over backwards to accomidate his customers. Our cart was faster than ALL the Disney carts, AND it had pull down flaps. Big deal right? The flaps were essential when the nighttime temp dropped below 40 and it rained the last day. ESSENTIAL. So we had a better cart, for around 40% less than what Disney was charging for their carts. Kenny at Tee Time Rental: [--]

2) Meal Plan: If you are considering the meal plan, be sure to confirm there is a counter service option available at the campground when you travel. I was told there was, but upon check in, realized that was false. So we shuffled our meals around a bit, eating most of our Counter service options at the Magic Kingdom. To get counter service at the Campground, you actually have to take the boat to the contemporary or the Wilderness Lodge. All in all, plan for the round trip to take at least 30 minutes (a long time for a counter service meal if you ask me).

3) Book any character dinners early. We didn't, and there wasn't much left unless we wanted to eat Dinner at 4pm.

4) If you like a cocktail at the end of the day, do all you can to bring your own in. A can of beer is $6. Our grocery experience consisted of purchasing a dozen eggs, pancake mix, maple syrup, an orange, and apple, a box of cereal, a beer, a gallon of water, a half gallon of milk. $40+ Doesn't seem so bad when you consider we got 4 breakfasts for 4 people out of it. Awesome value for Disney. However, if you can stop at a Grocery Store on the way in, do it!

Disney:
We went to Magic Kingdom Friday and Saturday. Friday was the better of the two when it came to wait times. Saturday was brutal. Saturday was a good day to catch up with characters, see shows (ie Bear Jamboree), and parades. The wait times comparitively speaking were about 4 times longer (on average) Saturday.

Eating Healthy is hard to do at Disney, but the food was better than I expected.

Overall, we had a great Disney experience and I can tell you with certainty that Disney does it right. I would absolutely stay at the Cabins again, the only reason I may not would be out of simple curiousity of what the other resorts would be like.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank awe_heck
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 23, 2011

For our first family trip, when our youngest was old enough to ride most of the rides, we explored the options of many different resorts. This one looked cozy, even though I am NOT a camping type of girl! I was hesitant at first, but when you look at the overall value, it's incredible. It's not like any "hotel" its like a nice seclusion. You don't have people stomping around in a room above you and you don't have to worry about anyone below you. The service is just as amazing as the set up itself! We needed a pan to cook pizza's and it's probablly the ONLY thing that isn't provided in the full service kitchen, and the staff was knocking at our door within minutes with one. They fold the towels in cute animal shapes, and our room is always so clean. This is year three for us, and we wouldn't change a thing! I would recommend to all. The gold cart is a must however, and the rooms don't get that cold just set the thermostat before you leave for the parks! I would recommend ordering from the local grociery store rather then the post, it can be pricey!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank sassypants777
Wilton NC
Reviewed January 23, 2011

The cabins at Ft. Wilderness were just what we needed. Room for the kids to move around without disturbing anyone, pull up parking and a full kitchen to save $$ on food. Check in was quick and easy. The resort map needs an update. Perhaps a LOT more detail would help. Housekeeping needs to step up their game to match the rest of Disney quality. The cabins were generally clean but the details were lacking. Dirt was accumulating in the corners and the high spots needed dusting. Daily housekeeping service was a bit lacking too. Check in day and day 1 we didn't need service because we were in the cabin most of the day. Day 2 no one ever showed up to clean until late in the day while we had our in room babysitter watching the kids. They restocked the essentials. Day 3 no one showed up at all. Day 4 they came but failed to vacuum, clean the toilet or unload the dishwasher that we had already run. Day 5 the basics were covered with no big complaints. Generally we do not complain about housekeeping but i felt this was not on par with the rest of Disney. If the cabin wasn't cleaned while we were there how well was it cleaned after the last group before we got there? Perhaps some spot checks by supervisors would remedy the problem. Our only other suggestion would be the chain or bar locks placed up high on the door to keep children from opening the door easily.
Other than the room the resort was pleasant. We watched the magic kingdom fireworks show from the Marina and thoroughly enjoyed avoiding the crowds. Also found the in-resort bus service to be easy to navigate. Also the resort was convenient to all the parks.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank wiltontravelers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 339 in Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!