“Could be more friendly to disabilities”

The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort
Reviewed September 16, 2009

I have a son who have disabilities, I requested a cabin very close to the bus months before our stay. We did not receive this. we ended up having to rent a wheelchair daily in the park, because he was so exhausted. One day the housekeeper left the clean towels on the bathroom floor. we let them know about this. The cabin was larger tha expected, but could have been cleaner and staff did not go out of their way to try and help us. we had to pay $54 a day + tax to rent a golf cart to get my son around. So if you have any mobility problems, this is probably not your best choice, fell short of what we expected from Disney. Sad because my son is 27 but like a 7 yr old. Mickey is his favorite & we waited a long time to make his dreams come true on his birthday.Very sad he ended up in excess pain on vacation.

• Stayed: September 2009

Reviewed August 27, 2009

Our family of four (two adults, two kids 4 and 1) stayed for 7 days at Fort Wilderness campground in a cabin.
The cabin was MUCH larger than I thought it would be, and very clean - no dirty feet from walking around barefoot! Some of the cabinets were a bit dusty, but that was my only complaint.
As for storage space - there is a ton in the kitchen and living room area, not as much in the bedroom - there is this weird shelf thing going on there that could have tons of drawers under it, but it's solid for some reason. We were able to fit most of our clothes in the drawers, but with older kids (our oldest is still in 4T) with bigger clothes, that would have been difficult. But living out of a suitcase is worth the trade-off for the two rooms and the full kitchen! We drove from Ohio and packed frozen meals/dry ice, and did one grocery store run to Winn Dixie to get items for breakfast and lunch in the parks. We only ate 3 meals in the park, and that was just to change things up, technically we could have packed every day. That kitchen saved us a ridiculous amount of money! Our kids loved the bunk beds and WE loved the fact that we didn't have to go to bed with them at 8:00 as we would have had to in a hotel room.
The location within the resort is great, we drove to all the parks within 10-15 minutes. We never used the bus service to leave the campground, we figured that would be a lot of hassle with the stroller/cooler/diaper bag, etc., and since parking is included in our cost, why not? We did use the bus to get around the campground and never waited more than 10 minutes or so. We spent one day just playing at Fort Wilderness, and rented a golf cart for that day at the last minute - there were plenty. If we were going to do more than a day, though, I'd have rented from an outside vendor, much cheaper! There is lots to do - my kids LOVED the new splash area in the pool, and the playgrounds and pony rides and the campfire. It's true there's a lot to do, but some of it is pretty costly (watercraft rental, trail rides, the dinner show), which is disappointing when you consider how much you pay for the cabins. Also was a little surprised that they charged $10 a day for wireless connection - even our economy hotel on the way down supplied that for free! But this is Disney, after all!
We used the ferry service from Magic Kingdom twice - on both the days we visited that park, one of us would drive back with the little guy at nap time, and the other would stay with our older son for a couple more hours of fun in the park. We didn't take the ferry in the morning because it doesn't run until 8:30, and we were trying to get to the turnstiles well before that point.
Service was great - "mousekeeping" did a wonderful job, and of course the boys loved the towel animals. We reserved a high chair and bedrails in advance - neither was there upon arrival, but that was remedied with 1 phone call. The DVD player didn't work either, but we had a new one within an hour of reporting that to the front desk, so no complaints there.
The campground in general was very quiet, and a great place to relax in the afternoon and evenings after hectic mornings spent in the park. It's a beautiful little oasis right in the heart of Disney! I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank BeckyM78
Reviewed August 24, 2009

we have 3 children 11, 17,23 and one grandchild 4, we went on this vacation so that we could have one more trip as a whole family before college and carriers took them off we saved and saved for this trip we were told that the trip had to be payed a certain time frame or are reservation would be canceled we payed are trip off in feb.. we got there so excited wanted to see everything and of course buy everything in sight. are first 2 days went great everything we wanted on the 3rd day we were billed again for are room and tickets .. it took me calling and calling and 2 days to get are money back it put a damper on are trip and still cant find anyone to complain to or get and explanation...not so magical for us.. i wish it would not have gone this way.. we missed out on a lot of things because we were on the phone trying to get the 2,200 dollars back into are account...

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I have stayed at the fort wilderness campground many times in my life but this last trip was the best thus far. For two days straight it rained which camping with about 5 kids under the age of 10 can be stressful. My aunt who was about 7 months pregnant was with us too. Due to the rain our tents flooded. We dried most of the clothes and bedding in the nearby dryers but called the front desk to rent a cot for my pregnant aunt. They informed us that all the cots had been rented already. We were all a little upset and worried since we werent sure how she was going to do with the rain . Fort Wildreness staff came by our campsite to tell us they had arranged for us to stay in one of the cabins that had not been rented for a few days until we could get everything nice and dry again. There was plenty of room for all of us in the cabin with the pull out couch and big beds. It was nice for the staff to be so worried about our comfort. That is why I would never think to stay anywhere else for our family trips to disney!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank luckymarie_08
Reviewed July 25, 2009

We just returned from a 5 night, 6 day visit to Fort Wilderness last week. We used the military promotion Disney currently has - Operation Salute, which allowed us to save 40 % off of the nightly room rate. It is the best deal Disney currently has and to my knowledge runs until December 2009. The cabin was spacious and had most of the amenities of home for our family of 5. We had small children and found the kitchen to be a money saver, as we utilized it to make breakfast and lunch, and occasionally dinner. After visiting the park or spending an afternoon in Orlando, we were able to return to our cabin, relax, and recoup for the rest of the days activities. Initially I rented a golf cart, but canceled the golf cart upon arrival and decided to take a chance on the bus system. So glad I did - we saved a ton of money and the buses run smoothly about every 20 minutes or so. I requested to be near a bus loop and was not disappointed. The bus loop was within walking distance to our cabin. It was also close to a pool and laundry facility. High Speed internet is available for a fee - we did not purchase. The campfire and movie with Chip and Dale was terrific for the kids. Please consider buying or bringing your own marshmellows to roast as the prices they charge for a smores kit are beyond ridiculous. Otherwise, be prepared to have a fun and relaxing visit to this resort.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank LoveRVacation
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I write all of my reviews from a teenage perspective to help give insight to parents or travelers looking for a teenage point of view. I love Disneyworld and everything it has to offer. When my mom had told us we were staying at the Fort Wilderness Campground I was a little skeptical. The thought of Disney and a campground seemed a little strange and dirty. However, the campground was exactly the opposite! The grounds were very clean and quiet! Great for kids, teens, and adults. We stayed in a cabin and it was great. There was enough to fit everyone in my family of 5 and there was even a little kitchen, dining area, and a TV with a DVD player. There was also a deck on the cabin which had a grill and seating to enjoy the outdoors. The bedroom where my sister (14), my brother (9), and I (17) slept was actually very large. The room included a full size bed and a bunk bed. Each set of beds was very comfortable. There was also a tv included in the bedroom where we slept. There was also a bathroom in the cabin. No need to trek all the way to the main area to use a restroom. The bathroom included a shower, toilet, and was cleaned as well as the rest of the room by a maid everyday. Everything was great! My family will definately remember our stay at the Fort Wilderness Campground and definately think to stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ashleyscott30
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We stayed at a Fort Wilderness cabin for 5 nights. We will definately go back. Loved riding around on the golf carts. Pools, movie nights, camp fires, fireworks all spectacular. You can can keep busy enough w/o going anywhere. Camp sites were pretty cool as well. I am not a camper, but I would definately camp at Fort Wilderness.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family