The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Sat morning we waited 40 min for a bus to come to our campsite to take us to the marina. Took a boat to Wilderness Lodge and boat driver couldn't count. He loaded up the boat and our kids jumped on before us. We were about to jump on and he said the boat was full. We said our kids were on board. We didn't yell but were shocked. So we started to say either we need to go or our kids need to come off. He threatened to then call Security. I thought Disney employees were trained but apparently not.
Went watch the Frozen movie outside and a group of 4 adults were drinking wine and being loud. I didn't think Disney allowed alcohol at such family oriented events. One Dad got a Disney employee and pointed it out. The employee did nothing.
I won't be back.

• Stayed: April 2014
13  Thank gannett2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,743)

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I´ve stayed at Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground several times since I was only a child. There is always something fun to do for kids of all ages.
You can go to the beach at night and see the fireworks or the Electrical Water Pageant or just sit at the campfire with Chip and Dale. There are still a lot of things for me to discover and I´m looking forward to making new memories at that beautifully themed campground.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I have been to and LOVED several Disney Resorts. This is not one of them. First of all, NOTHING is included with your room fee....Golf Carts (which are NEEDED) are $60 a day - horse carriage ride $45 - Hay ride? $8 S'mores for the stinking campfire event? $8.00 for a kit - you even have to pay for the sticks to put them on.

Convenience wise this place is a bummer. You have to take a BUS to get to the one and only restaurant. Plus, if you don't have reservations, you wont be eating there at all. We actually had to take a series of buses just to get back to our cabin from the pool.

Entertainment wise this is the WORST resort at Disney. We went to the Chip and Dale Disney Campfire Sing Along and left feeling very disappointed. It was an old man who sang Old MacDonald, and B-I-N-G-O and may be one other song that I have since blocked out of my memory.

Bottom line - Animal Kingdom Resort, Port Orleans...ANYWHERE but here is your best Disney Resort bet.

12  Thank Amberks8
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. The "cabin" was actually a little nicer on the interior than I had expected and we found housekeeping extremely helpful for the few missing items. No cute towel animals though which was disappointing from a Disney property as my daughter loves them so. We only rented a golf cart one day out of three and decided that this really is a must- the walking and bus get exhausting when commuting around the property and to and from the parks. Even getting to the Magic Kingdom was a lot of walking and took an hour each direction. With a cart at least 20 minutes was shaved off of that each way and saved a lot of walking. If we do stay here again we will have to budget in that extra expense, which really does add up. We probably will be looking at other hotels in another trip because once you add that cost in, one could get a room, even a bigger room at the deluxe resorts and certainly the family suites at Art of Animation which has more space and has direct bus service to the parks. We were not very impressed by Magic Kingdom fireworks from the Ft. Wilderness Beach which was also disappointing. On the plus side, the pools and restaurant (Trails End), playground, campfire, stores, etc. were all high quality. We had a nice time but will likely look elsewhere as without a cart the commute even to nearby Magic Kingdom was just hard.

5  Thank plattsburgher
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Big kids can rent a bike or go fishing, there is archery, pony rides, the pool has a cool slide, it's super fun and there is a lifeguard on duty. There is a campfire with a chip and dale sing alone in the night. it is expensive but it is worth it. Just be careful if you walk in the night because it is not very illuminated. You can see the boat parade and the fireworks from the beach.
There is a buffet "all u can eat" but it's expensive and not much variety. Better go to the Golden Corral.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed at the Fort last year and got a great deal of $200/night for a cabin for the week. This is very reasonable for a family of 5, especially by Disney standards. This year we decided last minute to getaway from the eternal winter, and decided on a campsite because the cabins were $350/night. What a great 2 weeks we had!!

We rented a trailer from Meacham's RV which was totally seamless, and it was set up awaiting our arrival on the Magical Express. Having been there before we also had a golf cart delivered, which really is necessary if you want to save some time walking or waiting for the buses. We were in loop 1600 which is nicely located near the Meadow pool, snack shack, Trading Post, bike rentals, and evening campfire.

Unlike the cabins, there is no wifi in the campsite area, so I made my daily trip over to the meadow for some coffee and catchup on mydisneyexperience to get all our plans in order. After long days at the parks it is so enjoyable to have some outdoor time and relax amongst the trees with the kids playing in the forest.

We are DVC members and have stayed in high end resorts, but this place treats you like any other Disney guest and the service is impeccable. We highly enjoy it and even after some DVC pool hopping to places like the Grand Floridian the kids emphatically asked if we could stay at the Fort every time. One thing I especially like is the fun atmosphere of the pool, where it is a consistently shallow depth across which is great for the younger crowd.

5  Thank Wiensie
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We've stayed at Fort Wilderness a number of times, always in a tent at a tent campsite. There is o much to do, so many activities. I love being in part of Disney World but without that Disney feel. It is so peaceful and relaxing at the campground. This is the only place we camp. The Mouse knows how to do things, even run a campground!

On our last night there were some big storms, along with some family drama which left me, alone, in a tent during thunder, lightning, major downpours, and tornado warnings. I went up to the Outpost to get out of the rain for a while and a very nice cast member helped me out by providing a cabin for me for the night.

The cabins are nice. I certainly wouldn't pay $300+/night for them, but that's just me. Most people love the cabins. I found that if there was very many people there wouldn't be much privacy, especially if you had more than one family in it. it would be fine for myself and my husband. They were nice, that's for sure, but if I wasn't staying in a tent, and was willing to spend that kind of money, I would be staying at one of the other Disney resorts.

Overall, the campground is great, we love it.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple